Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 298753 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1200 on: June 13, 2021, 03:49:06 pm »

Yep, Robsoie, I agree.  The imbalance in creatures is very much apparent at the moment.  The framework is there for crafting new/better items, it's just not tuned/tweaked yet to be a reasonable progression.  I've seen Lions and Goats spawn in the same place, adjacent to towns, so it's just random without weight, at the moment.
Even with the best weapons in the game (via /give_item) all creatures are bullet sponges.  It's just the way things are at this phase, I think.  Easy to fix, hopefully just low priority.

The starting world, I think, was created the way it was to show off Gliding, and that's why you start out in the mountains.  You can save at a campfire waypoint down on the Savannah, though, and zerg those Lions, Tigers, Alligators, and Hyenas all day long. ;)  There's also a rather disproportionate amount of resources (like tin and copper) that spawn in certain areas, providing truly staggering amounts of raw materials once you get/craft a Pick Axe for mining.  I actually don't know if raw materials like that respawn over time, or are finite in the world.  They're on top of blocks, not IN blocks, and for that matter, I have no idea if blocks respawn/re-grow over time as well.  :D

At the moment, I hope Veloren is at the point where the development team know they have the overall game framework in place, and can now iterate on the detailed mechanics to make a game that has many mechanics with many different ways to advance.  Unfortunately, it could also go the way of many other games and just be a murder hobo sim, where combat > all, and you have to fight continuously.  Hopefully not, but it definitely could end up like that.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: June 14, 2021, 02:05:42 pm »

Quickly tested the Hellpoint freebie from gog and it's not bad at all, in fact it seems a lot of fun in this grimdark scifi setting hammering things around.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I missed a jump on a platform and landed in the middle of a group of uglies, managed to kill 2 of them but missed my dodge key and got crushed by the other guys :D

edit : oh wow, the ghost of your defeated character roam the place too like in the DCSS roguelike, was a very fun fight to take him out as it has the same equipment i had at the time (and is way more dangerous than the uglies i was taking out so far).

edit 2 : was a bit overestimating myself after defeating a ghost and truckloads of uglies, on a new sector i spotted some big knight-like guy (that looked like some of the statues around an early game door) roaming around a circular corridor, i ran to strike him in his back, noticed hilariously low damage to him in comparison to other enemies, in reply he slashed me and one shot killed my poor character.
I guess i'll have to find and equip much better stuff (and probably learn to dodge better :D )

edit 3 : near the beginning of the game you'll find a console in which you can input your personnal ID
Something you don't have.
Do not waste your time looking around the environment it's not there, this personnal ID thing was apparently some reward for the people that backed their kickstart campaign.
One code surfaced, it gives you some stronger items than you should have at that point, basically it's a cheat (that you don't really need as what you'll find around is good enough to deal with beginning enemies anyways).

edit 4 : notice what looks like a breach in space/time you run nearby close to the beginning of the game (apparently you'll find more of them when you progress): it's where you'll be able to use your axiom to increase your character level/stats.
So once you gathered lots of axiom, try to come back there without dying (as you lose your axiom when dying, while you respawn in front of the breach) or you'll have to come back where you died to take the axiom you dropped (fortunately it stay there, but beware your death can generate a ghost, he's more dangerous than the other enemies in early game as its AI can dodge/parry like you do).
Note that you'll notice sometime some thin colum with lot of light on them, they're ladder in fact so you can use them when you are close enough.

Ran into what looked like the 1st boss not very far from the knight-like guys , it seems that spoiler require a lot of knowing when to dodge and attacking at the right time and retreating at the right time.
I had improved my character strength a lot, but only managed to take that boss health bar by half before dying to some of her attack i miscalculated stupidly.
Tough i didn't explored much before going into her room, maybe there's some good stuff to pick up and equip to help yourself.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 04:07:08 pm by Robsoie »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: June 14, 2021, 04:12:59 pm »

Played it a bit too. Got to what might have been the same boss mentioned above, noticed the hitbox for their attacks were far larger than it looked.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: June 14, 2021, 06:18:05 pm »

Managed to level up enough to get my strength at 12 so i could finally try that "Column" weapon i had found early.
And it's rather huge, does devastating damage , but it's insanely slow. I'm not sure using it is really advised for the strong enemies (your ghost, the knight things, the 1st boss) due to how slow it is for the hard attack, and the fast attack seems to be as slow as the hard attack of the pipe (that looks like an axe).
Hmm, looks like i may have wasted points there, should have probably go for increasing health and the energy (so i could do longer combos and dodging in a row).
Spoiler: other weapon (click to show/hide)

There's a gauge for when you strike with a weapon, googled around and it looks like this enable you to unlock some special abilities for a weapon you have used enough to fill that gauge, i've been using the pipe/axe thing for a couple of hours and the gauge is not yet at its middle, i hope those abilities are worth it.

The game reward grinding actually as enemy respawn after a time (so more axiom to get for leveling), i have read that difficulty levels can be increased/decreased too with your actions or investment in one of the breaches.

There also a timer , when said timer reach a specific point (on the top right of your screen, the clock will have orange parts lighting up) it triggers a special "horde" event in some specific sectors.
In the beginner sector i didn't had an actual horde, but there was a huge thing with big horns that was wielding a bigger stick that appeared in the large room (the one in which there is the lift) in which there are a lot of early uglies patrolling or waiting.
Didn't tried to fight this one as i doubt i was prepared :D

edit : i take back what i said about the column weapon, despite being slow it isin fact awesome against those big knight type of enemies.
When said knight move toward you with his shield in front of you, at a specific distance start your column hard attack, as the shielded knight does not move fast, there's a good chance your molasse weapon will hit before the knight strike you with one of his sword assault.

And the column being that massive type of hammer it is, will send the knight flying and falling (something the other weapons i found can't do).
Move quickly to the correct distance and start again immediately the hard attack, if you time things right and get at the correct range, your massive hammer will again send the knight down as soon as he stand up.
Repeat until no more knight.
In fact it looks like the "column" is the easiest way to not die against the knight. May be worth those 12 levels invested in strength after all.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 08:22:53 pm by Robsoie »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: June 17, 2021, 05:03:17 pm »

... Sure, you can build underground, but that removes the best part of the game! You get to build your own castle!
Very true.  However, if you really want to build MORE underground, you can add more Z levels by editing:
..\Going Medieval_Data\StreamingAssets\MapV2\MapTypes.json and changing (for example):
         "id": "map_type_valley",
         "flatHeight": 4,
to
         "id": "map_type_valley",
         "flatHeight": 8,
And you'll get an additional 4 Z levels to play with.  Game plays normally, no issues.
You can also edit all/most of the .jsons to change production values/times, harvesting values/times, and even Thermal Models to adjust all temperature taps/sinks.
If you build floors underneath constructed stairs, you can mine directly under them.  This permits making a 2x3 tile descending stairway as deep as you wish, to build your fort vertically, if desired, underground.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: June 17, 2021, 07:09:32 pm »

Played through Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion.  It's decent.  It's not quite a full Zelda clone but it's more than a meme game.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: June 17, 2021, 07:16:24 pm »

Pathea Games (who did My Time at Portia) has released a demo/alpha of My Time at Sandrock. Not sure how extensive it is, but after playing a couple of days I feel comfortable saying it's looking like My Time at Portia, only more polished, with significantly better UI, better art direction (no more bobbleheads!), and overall a more cohesive aesthetic... I'm pretty sure they've sold me on it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: June 17, 2021, 07:21:26 pm »

Seeing that title and then not seeing a farming game headed by a giant robot with a shotel made me deeply, intensely disappointed.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: June 19, 2021, 07:52:12 am »

This year the old breakgrounding game Operation Flashpoint will be 20 years old.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: June 19, 2021, 10:31:15 am »

Whoa, interesting. Of that series I only ever played Dragon Rising, since it (very unusually for that kind of shooter) received a console port.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: June 20, 2021, 01:44:54 pm »

Pathea Games (who did My Time at Portia) has released a demo/alpha of My Time at Sandrock. Not sure how extensive it is, but after playing a couple of days I feel comfortable saying it's looking like My Time at Portia, only more polished, with significantly better UI, better art direction (no more bobbleheads!), and overall a more cohesive aesthetic... I'm pretty sure they've sold me on it.

Picking things up is fun!

It also caught my eye in the demo-paloosa. Upon seeing the default name for my character was Max I of course named him Max Dangerous and his workshop THE DANGERSHOP
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: June 21, 2021, 03:01:34 pm »

Played Red Solstice 2 all weekend.

It's the sequel to Red Solstice 1, which itself is a starcraft marine mod.

Red Solstice combines moba-like controls and gameplay (shoot lots of stuff, level up your character while you play) with a coop 8 player map clearing and objective based gameplay. Think "Alien Swarm" except bigger and in an open map area rather than a point A to B level to get through.

So you get dropped on Mars Colony as a group of marines, move around in a top down/isometric view point, completing objectives around the map while you're constantly swarmed with endless waves of aliens and mutants.

It's the kinda game where you have to keep moving all the time or get overwhelmed. The only thing that makes you work together, other than the desire for team work, is that surviving alone as the wave timer increases becomes quite difficult.

Red Solstice 1 was kinda....eurojank. Like the visuals and gameplay were mostly good, but there's a lot different things stuffed into one game. Rules, skills, fiddly things like dropping single magazines of ammo for people, multiple firing modes, injuries, leveling up, combat suits that function like classes, shit loads of friendly fire due to copious amounts of explosives with large detonation radius, weirdo random bosses with specific things you have to do to kill them that go completely unexplained, nebulous objectives that aren't well explained....alll while being done under the gun of a wave timer where shit just gets out of hand eventually, and having to move across a large map between objectives while keeping everyone together and working as a team.

It's....a lot to take in.

Red Solstice 2 is basically the same game, but improved. The visuals are actually quite good now. They sorta streamlined and simplified some stuff, made things a little clearer. It manages to start as a slow paced, atmospheric bug hunt before devolving into a non-stop fire fight where you have kill, move and constantly be working toward your objectives so you can evac.

All in all I enjoyed my time playing it. It will always have a bit of that "eurojank" going on. Always going to be slightly confusing what you need to do sometimes or how you need to do it. But we played over 60 games and I felt like more than 50% of them were actual wins of some kind, which is so, so much better or further than we made it in Red Solstice 1. And it's pretty satisfying to play with several friends (It's like one of the few true coop games that supports more than 4 people, which is why we started playing it in the first place), keeping everyone together, fighting as a team, all that good stuff.

It's a recommend from me, with the caveat that it takes a while to grok everything the game wants you to do and handle. It was definitely an overwhelming experience dropping straight into multiplayer with no preparation, because I am definitely not a MOBA player or a big time RTS player, which this game's control scheme draws heavily from. But once you figure out what you're doing, it's a pretty satisfying play experience. Like high stakes Diablo with guns.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: June 21, 2021, 05:20:50 pm »

on Hellpoint, after increasing slightly some graphic setting i noticed there's something annoying with the game : the character ability to hit is related to your current framerate (as googling around confirmed) .
So if while playing Hellpoint you start to notice half of your strikes seems to ignore the enemy, lower the game graphic settings/game resolution, you'll notice suddenly, along the better framerate, that now you'll hit a lot more in situations in which your weapon seemed to miss a lot.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: June 21, 2021, 07:07:12 pm »

whoops, sorry wrong thread. i had both open when i logged in but clicked this one on accident
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 07:19:47 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: June 22, 2021, 07:59:42 am »

Red Solstice 1 was kinda....eurojank. Like the visuals and gameplay were mostly good, but there's a lot different things stuffed into one game. Rules, skills, fiddly things like dropping single magazines of ammo for people, multiple firing modes, injuries, leveling up, combat suits that function like classes, shit loads of friendly fire due to copious amounts of explosives with large detonation radius, weirdo random bosses with specific things you have to do to kill them that go completely unexplained, nebulous objectives that aren't well explained....alll while being done under the gun of a wave timer where shit just gets out of hand eventually, and having to move across a large map between objectives while keeping everyone together and working as a team.

Oh hey, that sounds a bit like some WC3 custom maps I used to play on... NOTD I think?

Anyway, I'm a sucker for weird shit like that. Might have to take a peek at RS2.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 168