Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 300528 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2205 on: April 14, 2023, 07:20:30 am »

I think it might be simpler than that? Spritework is just a hell of a lot easier to make pretty than 3D/cell-shaded/etc. The lower fidelity means less points of failure, heh, while keeping enough design space to look good. It's hard to fuck up a line of pixels, it's real easy to fuck up a line on a 3D model or comic-style drawing or whatev'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: April 14, 2023, 08:45:30 am »

Have you played the original MoM recently? It's just as bland and the pixels look like shit (fite me).

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: April 14, 2023, 08:51:14 am »

I play Caster of Magic for Windows (original spritework) all the time.  I have an embarrassing number of hours in it actually.  I've been eyeing the remake, and I'd love to support the dev that did SO much with CoM, but I'm on a budget...  I do think it's worth it, but maybe not for me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2208 on: April 14, 2023, 08:52:15 am »

They really shouldn't have gone with anime style for the into animations though. The wizards as shown on the picking screen, for example, go with something that seems much more in-theme to the original.
Is the Anime-ification of a game's graphics something the studio is known for? Very unfortunate if so.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: April 14, 2023, 11:44:42 am »

I wouldn't really call the style "anime". It's a style that has more in common with animation or comicbook art than illustration, though, whereas the wizard portraits are much more detailed and stylized. Buildings and mechanical-type units (cannons, ships, golems, etc) border on cartoony, and really look like the least impressive of Thea artwork. The other unit portraits are hit-and-miss; some cleave closer to the wizards, and some cleave towards the animated style. It varies by race, to a certain degree; Goblins are better than ships & buildings, but are very Thea (I don't think this is a coincidence, either); Gnolls, Lizardmen, Orcs, Beastmen, and Trolls are a bit better but also a bit flat; Dwarves are generally decent outside of the mechanical units, as are Halflings, Draconians, and (surprisingly) Klackons; all sorts of humans and elves are probably the best of the lot. Summoned units are all over the place, but tend towards the lower, more-comic-bookish end of thing. They're generally a bit better than Age of Wonders 1, but they still invite comparison to those...

MuHa has had issues with inconsistent art quality in the past. They did an update to Thea 1 at one point that added a bunch of character portraits that they ended up rolling back in a later update after they received complaints about quality. I've always gotten the impression that they're a small developer on a tight budget, and they try to cut corners on art and writing from time to time - not consistently, but periodically. If they could have managed the same level of art for all the units that they did for the wizards, I'd have been very happy with it, but that's probably outside their budget.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: April 15, 2023, 04:47:58 pm »

I finally go around to beating the Outer Wilds DLC this morning, after bouncing off of it because I found certain sections of it to be, well, absolutely terrifying.

Now that it is over I am more sad than scared, and I dearly hope Mobius releases another DLC (or even better, a whole new game!) some day.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: April 16, 2023, 01:38:57 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: April 16, 2023, 04:39:18 am »

A new addition to my Illegal Games list:
https://kotaku.com/steam-pc-rpg-dark-and-darker-ironmace-torrent-playtest-1850338181
What makes it illegal and what all is on the list?

Basically, the founders of the company making DAD used to work for Nexon, and Nexon is claiming that assets (art, concepts, designs) were stolen, and employees were poached (not sure if they had any non-compete clauses, but they are legal in Korea).

Adding to the fun, because legal distribution of the game is temporarily halted in Korea, the game doesn't meet local regulations, so, despite their Korean headquarters and being one of their major target markets, they can't actually test there.

Sooo.... not really illegal, but it's certainly a tenuous enough position that they got themselves delisted from Steam.

Update: Quiet reply; fair enough. I see a few holes in the argument of legal vs illegal, but, like most things relating to law, they're based on pedantry and precise phrasing.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 05:23:16 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: April 16, 2023, 02:18:04 pm »

A new addition to my Illegal Games list:
https://kotaku.com/steam-pc-rpg-dark-and-darker-ironmace-torrent-playtest-1850338181
What makes it illegal and what all is on the list?

Basically, the founders of the company making DAD used to work for Nexon, and Nexon is claiming that assets (art, concepts, designs) were stolen, and employees were poached (not sure if they had any non-compete clauses, but they are legal in Korea).

Adding to the fun, because legal distribution of the game is temporarily halted in Korea, the game doesn't meet local regulations, so, despite their Korean headquarters and being one of their major target markets, they can't actually test there.

Sooo.... not really illegal, but it's certainly a tenuous enough position that they got themselves delisted from Steam.

While I don't agree with it, Nexon has an active Copyright Infringement case against DAD, which means torrenting DAD is in violation of the Millennium Copyright Act, thus making DAD an illegal game.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: April 17, 2023, 02:17:08 am »

Oh it's just a copyright thing, I was hoping it was something more exciting.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: April 17, 2023, 10:07:36 am »

Yeah, i was hoping for more cowboys, pirates and flying sharks in that nexon/dad story.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2217 on: April 17, 2023, 10:20:15 am »

Just because I'm *that guy* I'm willing to point out that allegations of theft != theft.
IMO being DMCA'd is no different than being SLAPP'd. Sans injunction, I don't think anyone *should* have any power to stop someone else from doing something based on unproven accusations.
<insert off-track rant about accusations and assumptions and abridged freedoms over the words of others without proving them>

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: April 18, 2023, 12:20:50 am »

I think they've admitted to the noncompete/NDA stuff though. But that's a civil issue, generally rectified by throwing money at the offended party. Which, by virtue of it being 'Who're they again?' vs Nexon, I'm guessing one side won't have enough money to satisfy them.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: April 18, 2023, 03:29:27 am »

IIRC they're being taken to court over copyright infringement, so it seems to be a touch more serious by that account. Or at least Nexon seems to think they might have a case there.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 168