Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 300553 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2370 on: September 03, 2023, 10:51:14 pm »

Checking some gameplay vids of that, basically first actual combat whoever was playing it kicked a monkey in the balls and then beat it to death jojo style.

That's pretty amazing, yup.

Hey now-- you can't just give a description like that and not enough information to find the video! :D
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: September 03, 2023, 10:58:31 pm »

Man, bad ol' FE, heh. I'd agree pretty readily the GBA ones were the best of the series when they landed, at the absolute minimum. I think I've played all of them up to that point, though none past. Quite possibly my least favorite SRPG series, design wise, ha.

... that said, I've never once managed to keep playing one of them without eventually turning off the weapon durability. Gods fuck that is the single most irritating part of the entire series's design, and they're significantly more enjoyable to play with it nixed as a concern. Worst part is they're generally not even much easier with weapon durability disabled -- in practice, it's just about never really any major issue outside of being bloody annoying and forcing you into doing extra (unnecessary!) inventory management.

One of these days, they're going to pull their head out their bum and consign that nonsense to an optional "i hate myself" mode, blech. It's not like you can't design around not having it, more than a few games harping on FE's style does away with it, and they're all the better for it.

Checking some gameplay vids of that, basically first actual combat whoever was playing it kicked a monkey in the balls and then beat it to death jojo style.

That's pretty amazing, yup.

Hey now-- you can't just give a description like that and not enough information to find the video! :D
It was here; the monkey fights start around the 19th minute, the moment being referenced at about 20:50.

Though do note I give absolutely no endorsement of whoever made the vid; I had the sound off watching and have no idea what sort of channel they're running. It was just the first one I ran across checking for vids, so if they're saying something horrible I couldn't tell :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: September 04, 2023, 11:43:40 am »

It's not that it doesn't deserve its own thread I just cba making one at the moment. But Armored Core 6 has been out for a week or so and boy does it kick ass.

I haven't had the chance to play any of the previous ones but I always was interested in fast paced mecha action. Turns out it was for a good reason, because this shit is fun. It's super punishing because everything is a glass cannon and shits out damage, and with the stagger mechanics, getting caught in a bad spot can mean a quick and painful death. The flipside of this is that the same applies to bosses, and having a good weapon loadout can mean you just shit on a boss before it gets to do much. And that stuff is super satisfying. Customization is insane and varied as well, plus the way the whole thing is implemented with being able to switch things up whenever you die really encourages having a ton of options and trying them out whenever something isn't working.

That said there is some balancing issues with weapons that abuse the stagger like shotguns or the big shoulder cannons that can easily one-shot stuff if you catch them out while stunned. Still, as someone who doesn't care much for the PvP sides of things, I don't mind the singleplayer stuff being all over the place because it's in line with their previous stuff where you can make your own difficulty. Want an easier time? get a broken build, want to challenge yourself, get anything else that looks fun.

Story is also classic Fromsoft in that you need to look for it and pay attention if you want to figure out just what the hell is going on. I also like that the game is fairly short but there's more stuff going on in the NG+ zone where you get new missions or alternative versions of regular missions which is really cool.

It's also well optimized and not particularly buggy, and without any of the million cash milking schemes most big titles are filled with these days.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: September 04, 2023, 02:43:45 pm »

I wanna play AC6, as someone that's never played the series either. But I gotta get through Book of Hours first.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: September 05, 2023, 10:40:14 am »

One of these days, they're going to pull their head out their bum and consign that nonsense to an optional "i hate myself" mode, blech. It's not like you can't design around not having it, more than a few games harping on FE's style does away with it, and they're all the better for it.

They sorta have. Fire Emblem Fates removed durability, then it was added back in for Three Houses, and then Engage got rid of it again. Who knows if the designers will change their minds again for the next game in the series though.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: September 06, 2023, 07:06:28 am »

They sorta have. Fire Emblem Fates removed durability, then it was added back in for Three Houses, and then Engage got rid of it again. Who knows if the designers will change their minds again for the next game in the series though.

It's still in for the staff weapons/healers in Fates, which seems reasonable considering the grinding you can do. A bit pointless when they keep adding grinding to these games. (Conquest has less, but the whole kids mechanic is also grinding with more steps)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: September 06, 2023, 10:01:17 am »

AC6 started freezing on the title screen for me. If I force close the program steam doesn't even acknowledge that the game's closed without me restarting windows.

This is annoying.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2377 on: September 06, 2023, 10:15:56 am »

Not a fix, but you could also look for GameOverlay process(es) and kill them as well.
That should fix steam not realizing you killed the game at that time.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: September 06, 2023, 05:17:34 pm »

I started playing a game heavily inspired by the Ace Attorney series recently. It's called Tyrion Cuthbert: Attorney of the Arcane, and while it's a bit lacking in polish, I'm about 80% of the way through and I still love everything about it.

Basically, you solve crimes and play defense attorney in a world with D&D-esque magic, where the spells a person can cast serve as evidence. There's political machinations and stuff going on in the background of each case, and a bit of internal drama with the main cast, too, so it's not just an episodic affair.

I really enjoyed D&D rules-lawyering a man as an actual lawyer in-universe, and so I heartily extend a recommendation to anyone who likes Ace Attorney or the idea of playing a heroic lawyer in a fantasy world full of corrupt nobles.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: September 16, 2023, 07:57:05 am »

Remember the 20 years old game that originally was called Sea Dogs 2 but was rebranded Pirates of the Caribbean when they got a license to the movie ?
It had an acclaimed mod that vastly improved and expanded it with new features, new ships, new storylines, new quests, etc ... that was called New Horizons

That mod never ceased development, and recently the devs managed to make it fully standalone with a new engine and renamed it Beyond New Horizons, you can download it and its current development patch from this thread :
https://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/beyond-new-horizons-alpha-release.34218/

It's very janky (like the original game was) in term of character controls, but if you can get through the jank, it's a really good piracy game with lots of things to do.
new patches are regularly available (currently patch 14)
And the game is now available (latest version) on itch
https://cmdrhammie.itch.io/beyond-new-horizons

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: September 16, 2023, 03:16:45 pm »

Haven't seen anyone talking about how the new Unity pricing is affecting game devs. Sounds like it's killing a lot of games made in the last few years, and a lot of games that were nearly-finished.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: September 16, 2023, 05:24:29 pm »

I don't think that wonderful idea is cast in stone yet. I understand there's been some ungainly backpedalling in the wake of the outrage. In any case, even as it was originally floated, it wouldn't take effect until January, I think. Still, looks ugly.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: September 16, 2023, 05:39:29 pm »

Two game communities I follow(Amazing Cultivation Simulator 2, Elin) are each very nervous about the Unity thing, with some suggesting that these changes could outrightly kill the entire project.

What I find most alarming is the idea that a bad-actor could create a script to just reinstall a game on their computer over and over. Because the new Unity terms charge the developer for every install, one person could single-handedly bankrupt an entire company!

It sounds like Unity needs to roll-back these changes and go back to the drawing board, else they risk losing all of their business.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: September 16, 2023, 05:59:35 pm »

Even if they completely backpedal out of it, or use it to push a less-shit-but-still-shit solution and paint it as a compromise, the trust in the company is gone.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: September 16, 2023, 07:48:35 pm »

It's bad enough that there's a few conspiracy theories floating around regarding the real intent. It's hard for people to believe anyone genuinely thought this could end well.

The legality and enforceability of it (for existing games, at least) are also dubious, which adds to the uncertainty for all involved.

Two game communities I follow(Amazing Cultivation Simulator 2, Elin) are each very nervous about the Unity thing, with some suggesting that these changes could outrightly kill the entire project.
Damn. Not familiar with Elin, but I really hope ACS2 recovers gracefully and on an engine that isn't inclined to commit suicide at random.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 168