Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008856 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #705 on: February 15, 2016, 05:51:31 pm »

Please don't, Dorsidwarf? If somebody is ignoring somebody, trust that it's for a good reason.
what about nazis ignoring jews pleas to spare their lives while releasing the killing gas into the death chamber

this is probably a bad example, but i can't exactly pinpoint why, so i'll just leave it here
._.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 15, 2016, 06:03:22 pm »

Please don't, Dorsidwarf? If somebody is ignoring somebody, trust that it's for a good reason.
what about nazis ignoring jews pleas to spare their lives while releasing the killing gas into the death chamber

this is probably a bad example, but i can't exactly pinpoint why, so i'll just leave it here
Because it brings forth the zombie of Godwin from his grave and it is a pain to put him back in it again?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 15, 2016, 06:17:02 pm »

Eh, I do admit that I've developed the habit of more or less just skimming LW's posts. Dorsi's right though, that one was both readable and somewhat interesting. I'd like to remark though that it is somewhat misleading to list the Continental countries separately instead of as one 'EU' block.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 16, 2016, 02:13:07 am »

Same here I'll admit. Too bad your translation came after I had already had to strain my eyeballs on the original post.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 16, 2016, 06:25:56 am »

Today in Ukraine, members of the Ukrainian parliament gathered enough signatures to start a vote of no confidence againt prime minister Jatsenjoek.
His popularity, since he came into power after Janoekovic was removed from power after the Maidan protests, has been dropping to zero. His opponents blame him for not doing enough to stop corruption.

Today, he will have to defend himself in parliament, and it's uncertain if after that, he will still be prime minister.

If he falls, president will either call for new elections, but there's also rumour that he will promote Micheïl Saakasjvil, current governor of Odessa, and the former president of Georgia to take his place.
This would certainly displease Putin, since Micheïl Saakasjvili could be considered his arch nemesis enemy
http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/-genoeg-handtekeningen-voor-val-oekraiense-premier~a4245707/

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 16, 2016, 08:03:48 am »

In the meantime, the EU has lifted sanctions against Belarus. It is unknown how long it will last, but judging by the past 10-15 years or so, such a diplomatic thaw is unlikely to last long.

On an unrelated note, Ukraine and Poland have been quarrelling with Russia over freight truck transit since late January - it resulted in all parties shutting down their borders for the truckers of their enemy. Belarusian border crossings at motorways leading into Lithuania and its freight port of Klaipeda are jammed with Russian trucks - taking a ferry into Sweden or Germany is the only route into the EU available to them (for now). If this continues, it'll probably lead to a rapid rise of Belarusian logistic companies, because only vehicles with Belarusian licence plates will be able to travel around the region without running into any politically motivated blockades*. :P

*Several Belarusian trucks got stuck in a traffic jam caused by Ukrainian nationalist barricades last week, though, but that's collateral damage, I guess :p
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 08:07:08 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 16, 2016, 08:19:38 am »

In the meantime, the EU has lifted sanctions against Belarus. It is unknown how long it will last, but judging by the past 10-15 years or so, such a diplomatic thaw is unlikely to last long.

On an unrelated note, Ukraine and Poland have been quarrelling with Russia over freight truck transit since late January - it resulted in all parties shutting down their borders for the truckers of their enemy. Belarusian border crossings at motorways leading into Lithuania and its freight port of Klaipeda are jammed with Russian trucks - taking a ferry into Sweden or Germany is the only route into the EU available to them (for now). If this continues, it'll probably lead to a rapid rise of Belarusian logistic companies, because only vehicles with Belarusian licence plates will be able to travel around the region without running into any politically motivated blockades*. :P

*Several Belarusian trucks got stuck in a traffic jam caused by Ukrainian nationalist barricades last week, though, but that's collateral damage, I guess :p
There's more to the story. I can't currently look for printed sources (I need to run in a couple minutes), I'm going by Polish radio.

Polan freight trucks cannot into Russia and vice versa - but Ukrainian activists have been blocking the Russian transit through Ukraine too, and from what I heard Ukraine is/is planning to officially get the Russian trucks B& as well, citing the Russian involvement in You-Know-What. Which means that there's an unbroken borderline from south coast of the Baltic Sea to the north of Black Sea between Russian transit and Europe not letting the trucks through.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 16, 2016, 08:58:06 am »

Polan freight trucks cannot into Russia and vice versa - but Ukrainian activists have been blocking the Russian transit through Ukraine too, and from what I heard Ukraine is/is planning to officially get the Russian trucks B& as well
Russian trucks are already B& in Ukraine; those who were stuck in the Ukrainian territory moved into Belarus. The Ukrainian ban was a response to a Russian closure of their border to Ukrainian trucks, and the Russian ban was enacted in response to a Ukrainian blockade of Russian trucks at its border, which was a reaction to Russia and Poland closing the borders to their respective truck drivers.

What a nice cycle of revenge.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:00:50 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 16, 2016, 09:02:11 am »

In the past two days (not sure if it was yesterday or the day before yesterday) B&H has applied for EU membership status. The very beginning of the road to joining the EU.

Considering the state the country is in, and the state the EU is in at the moment and where it seems to be heading, I'm willing to bet good money that we will never see this membership thing materialise simply because by the time we'll be anywhere approaching ready the EU will have fallen apart or lost most of what made it good.

I'm really rooting for UK to leave the union tho, simply to see what comes of it afterwards, hopefully such a huge thing might be a wake-up call to the other member states to get their shit together and stop this madness, or atleast, mitigate the horrible mess as best they can, because it feels like the train has left the station and nobody bothered to check if it had any brakes.

Edit: Because not everyone knows the shorthand for the retardedly long name of my country of origin
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:29:47 am by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 16, 2016, 09:24:13 am »

I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 16, 2016, 09:34:42 am »

B&H
wut be dat

Bosina and Herzegovina.

edit: Ninja'd by Jopax's edit. I did mispell the country name a little. edit: fixed country name.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:37:14 am by smjjames »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 16, 2016, 09:36:27 am »

Oh, I was right.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 16, 2016, 10:07:37 am »

Yeah, it's a long way ahead, but at least the process of joining might force Bosnia's leadership to improve its game.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 16, 2016, 10:13:55 am »

That would mean that they have a game other than "Steal as much as possible while trying your best to fuck over the other two sides"
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 16, 2016, 10:37:29 am »

Wait, I though they only had two sides in B&H? I must say, as I Belgian I love seeing a country more dysfunctional than mine.

In other sad Bosnian new, the Bosnian place down from my dorm apparently closed, and its owner opened a Bosnian hair salon next door. My stomach pine for burek.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 793