Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008495 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #1785 on: April 17, 2016, 05:46:22 pm »

There's an actual news article out now. Sounds like some drunk hooligan threw something and got arrested for his trouble, and the situation promptly turned into a riot. The guy who started it was part of a group of nationalist protesters, and the migrant camp was illegal.

http://news.sky.com/story/1679992/massive-brawl-erupts-at-migrant-camp-in-paris
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 05:59:45 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: April 17, 2016, 09:32:23 pm »

I don't really know. Knocking down a shanty town (homeless people's) place isn't cool, even if such housing is illegal. Someone camping on the footpath doesn't create a legal or ethical right to beat the shit out of them. People don't live in cardboard boxes by choice. "Your makeshift dwelling is illegal, which justifies the neo-nazis beating you up" is logic only people with safe accommodation can engage in.

People in the comments seem to be saying that the migrants started the brawl. That's pretty unlikely. These people were camped there. The people who they were brawling with clearly made a decision to be there, and be brawling. e.g. if a bunch of skinheads demolish a migrant camp, it's hard to claim the skinheads were merely going about their day-to-day business and got attacked by the people at the camp.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:44:21 pm by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: April 17, 2016, 10:35:22 pm »

I don't really know. Knocking down a shanty town (homeless people's) place isn't cool, even if such housing is illegal
In most places knocking down a shanty town is probably illegal in itself unless it's done by the proper authorities following the proper channels.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: April 18, 2016, 03:35:52 am »

warning, implicit language inside (self-redaction edit)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
ts;dr Dutch comedian pulls a Böhmermann

So now we wait, until Erdogan demands that our prime minister hauls him to court.
(the parliament voted to scrap the law against insulting heads of state last week, but the law isn't scrapped yet, that'll take a few years to go through bureaucratic channels)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw2l_9ZYTa8

EDIT: now with subtitles

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:04:42 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: April 18, 2016, 09:39:46 am »

They're probably aiming for that, in fact. To get some kind of difamation accusation, and then do some kind of ironic retraction in public
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: April 18, 2016, 11:12:05 am »

I do like that the best way he could think of to insult Erdogan requires that he himself be a gay pedophile though. If that's the best he's got he's probably not worth too much consideration.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: April 18, 2016, 12:04:15 pm »

Don't be too sure. This guy is one of the most prominent comedians in the Netherlands. Everybody knows Hans Teeuwen, and know him for sharp and ad rem satire and improvisations (although recently he has cut back on performing as a comedian to focus more on theater and movies). This is not some right-wing joker that's only popular with the populists. Au contraire. Populists are often the victim of his satire. If our government would ask justice department to sue him, there's likely going to be riots.

I like how he answers "is this satire?" with "no it's real".
Dumb questions deserve dumb answers.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 12:06:13 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: April 19, 2016, 04:42:51 pm »

We had to spend years listening to I-forgot-his-name-shitmouth-Modern-Talking. He was way worse and insulted people without any reason or deeper meaning at all (even the Schmähgedicht was way above his level). I don't see why we now apply higher standards to Böhmermann only because he chooses to make fun of politicians instead of mislead teens.
My parents are good intellectuals, I grew up without a TV ;)

But seriously, that guy was just entertainment for the proles - that's why we could just politely ignore him like a small piece of dog shit stuck to someone's shoe. We can't do that with Böhmermann because he's political - he's taking part in the public discourse, and the public discourse is something we ought to keep in a good state. Someone who speaks politically needs to be held to a higher standard.

Dieter Bohlen! That was the critter's name!
I didn't watch TV much either (mainly wholesome TV shows like Alfred J. Kwak, Heidi (yeah, I know…), Benjamin Blümchen and Bibbi Blocksberg (the latter two are probably partly responsible for me being an anarchist, I hear :P)), but he was kind of hard to ignore when almost everyone around me was taking art in his public defamation of still-developing teens.

My point is: The damage Böhmermann did to Erdogan is negligible. It's laughable. The damage Bohlen did to those teens was very real.
Only that when teens are damaged with words they are called spoiled for not being fully developed yet and then you make even more fun of them because they act accordingly damaged.
So this should be the other way round: People dealing with teenagers in public should be held to a higher standard. The damage they do is much more real and not as much dependent on other assholes participating in childish behavior. Which is something we should expect of people leading whole countries and even more when they make extraordinary claims about their own ability to fail, right?
Taste my Paci-Fist

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: April 20, 2016, 04:29:59 am »

Aleksandr Bastrykin, a close associate of Putin, and head of the powerful Russian Research Commission, has said that Russia "needs to arm itself against the hybrid American information war, by applying censorship to the internet, like China does.

He says the US has been pumping billions of dollars into spreading false information about Russia.
As examples he names the shooting down of flight MH-17, the inquiry into the polonium poisoning of Aleksandr Litvinenko in the UK (which technically was a nuclear attack on NATO soil btw), and the rumors about corruption, about FIFA awarding the hosting of the world championship soccer 2018 to Russia.

According to Bastrykin, the US spends billions of dollars each year to "feed anti-Russian sentiments in nations bordering Russia, under the guise of strenghtening democracy".

At the same time, Bastrykin continues, "the US are trying to incite the peoples of Russia against each other, just like they sparked nationalist conflicts in the Sovjet Union in the '90s."
"It has become crystal clear that all these conflicts were an element of the first, secret phase of the information war."

Now too, he sees Americans everywhere. "Washington is behind the islamic terror in the Caucasus, and the US is also behind the recent spark of conflict between Azerbeidzjan and Armenia about the Nagorno-Karabach region. They aim to create instable conflict situations everywhere along the Russian border."

"It is time to put up an effective barrier against this information war. We should stop being a pseudo-democracy, and stop adhering to pseudo-liberal values. A true democracy should aim for protecting common interest, and not absolute freedom and the right of the individual."

Next to proposing censoring the internet, Bastrykin also proposes that Russian youth should be educated ideologically, to arm them against foreign destabilizing influences.
Also, it should become a punishable offense by law to deny 'historic facts' from the Russian history, like the "voluontary joining of the Crimea to Russia".

Bastrykin, an old college friend of Putin, is the head of the powerful Russian Research Commission since 2011, which is an alternative public prosector, and is regarded by some to be Putin's personal justice department. The most sensitive cases are handed from the official public prosecutor's office to the Research Commission, especially when it is a political case.

Next to that, Putin recently created a police and safety department that is under his direct command, the National Guard. It will be formed from units that are now still under the command of the department of internal affairs.

Critics fear that the National guard, which will take up 300 to 400 thousand men, will become some kind of Pretorian guard, which Putin will use to supress any signs of political unrest.
The National Guard will be lead by another trustee of Putin, Viktor Zolotov, who has been the head of Putin's presidential guard for a long time.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/adviseur-poetin-wil-censuur-op-westers-gestook~a4285608/

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: April 20, 2016, 04:57:03 am »

In sort of related news, the Swedish government just announced the other day that it would put forward a proposition to increase cooperation with NATO's information warfare division or whatever it's called because of Russian potential activity in the region.

This is just a couple of weeks after all major Swedish internet news outlets were simultaneously and repeatedly brought down by ddos attacks which were tracked to have used Russian computers.
Love, scriver~

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: April 20, 2016, 05:03:21 am »

According to Bastrykin, the US spends billions of dollars each year to "feed anti-Russian sentiments in nations bordering Russia, under the guise of strenghtening democracy".
I don't see why US would have to spend billions, Bastrykin seems to do the job perfectly well for free.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: April 20, 2016, 05:11:13 am »

I don't see why US would have to spend billions, Bastrykin seems to do the job perfectly well for free.

Hehe yeah, that was exactly what I thought when reading that.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: April 20, 2016, 06:53:12 am »

So the guy in charge of protecting constitution suggests china-tier censorship.
Hello, comrade Kim Jong Un, in your direction we go!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: April 20, 2016, 07:23:07 am »

Hehe yeah, that was exactly what I thought when reading that.

..unless he's actually in the amyerikan's payroll as well! Maybe that's what they want you to believe! (In fake accent)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1799 on: April 20, 2016, 07:42:48 am »

"Washington is behind the islamic terror in the Caucasus, and the US is also behind the recent spark of conflict between Azerbeidzjan and Armenia about the Nagorno-Karabach region. They aim to create instable conflict situations everywhere along the Russian border."
To be fair, that's not terribly unlikely.

"It is time to put up an effective barrier against this information war. We should stop being a pseudo-democracy, and stop adhering to pseudo-liberal values. A true democracy should aim for protecting common interest, and not absolute freedom and the right of the individual."
Authoritarian democracy only democracy, libfags get out, reeee
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 793