Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1007953 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #1845 on: April 24, 2016, 07:31:52 pm »

Probably should emulate the greatest poet of them all, William Shakespeare. lol
A vulgar entertainer, a mere crowdpleaser, the greatest poet of all time? I'd beg to differ.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: April 25, 2016, 01:18:55 am »

Probably should emulate the greatest poet of them all, William Shakespeare. lol
A vulgar entertainer, a mere crowdpleaser, the greatest poet of all time? I'd beg to differ.

Case in point: I own at least one book of Goethe's poems, but nothing by Shakespear. And despite that, I've read more Shakespear than Goethe.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: April 25, 2016, 03:29:05 am »

Theo Maassen, another prominent Dutch comedian, has written a letter to the newspaper in response to Hans Teeuwen's sketch about whoreboy Erdogan.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/opinie/theo-maassen-reageert-op-hans-teeuwen-erdogan-wegzetten-als-luie-minnaar-is-een-leugen~a4288612/
original text:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

translation:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 03:34:59 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: April 25, 2016, 04:24:41 am »

The appartment of journalist Ebru Umar in Amsterdam was broken into and ransacked last night. Umar says she is sure there is a connection between her arrest in Turkey and the break-in, and calls it "pure intimidation and provocation".

She writes "I am in a whirlpool right now. So much is happening right now, but I am trapped. I am not allowed to go home to the Netherlands. My house has been broken open and trashed. My old laptop has been stolen. Good thing I brought my new one to Turkey."

Dutch police and intelligence are investigating the crime. If any evidence is found of Turkish intelligence involvement, we could be facing a major international riot with Turkey.

EDIT:
In related news, program director Viveka Hansson of the Swedish broadcast channel TV4 reports that the Turkish embassy has communicated with her by email to try and stop the broadcast of a documentary about the mass murder on Armenians and other minority groups by the Ottoman empire, during world war 1.

"ofcourse, we can never accept such a thing. We will protest against any attempt to put pressure on us regarding freedom of opinion. This is serious. Which is why it is important to point out events such as this publicly. We will not let embassies, politicians, or any other group moderate our content", the director stated.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:38:01 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: April 25, 2016, 06:30:19 am »

(in muslim culture, hitting someone with a shoe is the worst insult you can make. That, and shoe rhymes with Haiku)
Let me tell you about Cossacks

Zaporozhian cossacks, you mean. There are many more kind of Cossacks than Zaporozhian cossacks. Like Terek Cossacks, who're, in my opinion, far better and awesome-er than Zaporozhian ones. My half-sister even married one!
._.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: April 25, 2016, 07:19:53 am »

But then you're biased. Maybe if you werent a relative of one by marriage you'd think that Terek cossacks are far less awesome than Zaphorozian cossacks.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: April 25, 2016, 07:47:09 am »

I wonder, if angered Erdogan may increase refugee flow in Europe at his own will just to show, that he has stronger memes in posession.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: April 25, 2016, 07:52:29 am »

Meh. The refugee deal was bullshit in more ways than one. I don't think it will matter in the grand scheme of things.

EDIT:
To clarify this, I think I've commented it before: Not only do I think that shovelling the refugees at someone with such a questionable human rights record as Erdogan is of dubious ethicality (not the first time stuff like this has been done, either. As I said, ten years ago illegal immigrants from Southern Europe were handed to Moroccan authorities... who promptly dumped them near the Algerian border in the middle of the Sahara desert), it's also of highly dubious efficacy.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:56:53 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: April 25, 2016, 07:54:36 am »

Well, he has threatened to bus refugees to the border in the past.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: April 25, 2016, 08:06:58 am »

translation:
See, now, that's how you do it. Can't just hammer a bunch of insults into vaguely rhyming form and call it satire; there's skill involved. Boehmermann could stand to learn a thing or two from this Maassen.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1857 on: April 25, 2016, 11:10:11 am »

I agree, this one was actually well a played stab!
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: April 25, 2016, 03:16:25 pm »

And the whole Erdogan saga springs up some more: http://www.politico.eu/article/turkey-demands-offensive-photo-be-taken-down-president-recep-tayyip-erdoga-links-to-death-of-berkin-elvan/

Guy needs to be shown he can't push around other countries like that.

Also, Journalist guy in Turkey says that he wants Trump elected because then we deserve it and get a taste of what the rest of the world deals with.. I suppose outside views could be refreshing, but I don't think we are quite so rock bottom that we deserve it.

Though it could very well be our turn to end up with an authoritarian-esque president.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1859 on: April 25, 2016, 04:43:28 pm »

So the Austrians have been toying around with fences and they started getting more serious about it after the Hungarians laughed at them for making a "schengen compliant fence" whose gaps German activists just pointed out to migrants, allowing them to just walk around it :P

Anyways this time they're making it more complete but some bishops are all "nah m8 ur not building here" - the fact that the bishops in charge work for the EU bishops commission is pure coincidence
http://www.krone.at/Oesterreich/Dioezese_verweigert_Grenzzaun_auf_Kirchengrund-Im_Burgenland-Story-506636

And the whole Erdogan saga springs up some more: http://www.politico.eu/article/turkey-demands-offensive-photo-be-taken-down-president-recep-tayyip-erdoga-links-to-death-of-berkin-elvan/
Guy needs to be shown he can't push around other countries like that.
Also, Journalist guy in Turkey says that he wants Trump elected because then we deserve it and get a taste of what the rest of the world deals with.. I suppose outside views could be refreshing, but I don't think we are quite so rock bottom that we deserve it.
Though it could very well be our turn to end up with an authoritarian-esque president.
We all deserve it
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 793