Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002225 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6900 on: October 05, 2017, 05:05:52 am »

A journalist quipped a couple of days ago than all this is "Stranger Things" for Basque millennials. Everything reminds us of our childhood :p

Btw: did I mention that the king (jr. Because we have two now) doubled down on the PP party line of "The Catalonians have it coming, go get em boyZ!"?
And I thought his father (who was basically a bland version of Robert Baratheon) was bad. Sweet jebus.
Edit: I should have remembered that after Robert Baratheon came Joffrey
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 05:08:12 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: October 07, 2017, 04:17:57 pm »

I feel less and less able to give opinions on what´s going on because I feel more and more angry about the central goverment´s actions, what´s going on, the king´s speech, and the surprisingly high number of people in Castile and Andalusia that actually support what they´re doing to the Catalonians.  If anyone wonders why nationalism is on the rise in some regions, well, there you are.

Anyhow: I don´t actually know how many people here speak Spanish, but a satyrical Catalonian TV show made a very sharp and funny criticism of current events, so if you do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO2G8b5kE_w
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: October 07, 2017, 07:07:13 pm »

The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: October 07, 2017, 07:11:11 pm »

satyrical
Intriguing. Do elaborate.
Best not, I'm sure tales of bestiality are against the rules.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: October 07, 2017, 07:12:06 pm »

The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: October 08, 2017, 04:34:34 pm »

It's a satire of a Catalonian song called "El Muerto Vivo" ("The Living dead), about a guy who goes out on a drinking binge and is presumed dead, but shows up later at his own funeral.  In this version they sing about General Franco being presumed dead, but "showing up" metaphorically in contemporary Spanish politics.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6906 on: October 09, 2017, 09:21:44 am »

Plot twist, though, that is actually where the term "satire" comes from. A satyr play, devilishly mischievious.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: October 09, 2017, 12:34:33 pm »

Nope. Satire comes from the Latin word 'satur', wich means 'full, miscellaneous', and is completely unrelated to the satyr from Greek mythology.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: October 09, 2017, 01:07:52 pm »

Nope. Satire comes from the Latin word 'satur', wich means 'full, miscellaneous', and is completely unrelated to the satyr from Greek mythology.
But if you cheek the entry for satire you find this, interestingly enough:
In Roman Mythology there is a concept similar to satyrs, with goat-like features: the faun, being half-man, half-goat, who roamed the woods and mountains.[5] In myths they are often associated with pipe-playing. Greek-speaking Romans often used the Greek term saturos when referring to the Latin faunus, and eventually syncretized the two.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: October 09, 2017, 01:09:28 pm »

Which led to confusion, and angry faces from Saturnus worshippers
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: October 09, 2017, 01:44:58 pm »

Saturnus whorshippers are a bunch of bigots. Who cares what they think.
#punchaSaturnusworshipper

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: October 09, 2017, 02:35:30 pm »

Ahaha jokes on you this isn’t the AmeriPol thread.

... or am I just being rubbish and the punch-a-[insert group you disagree with here] is also a thing in Europe too?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: October 09, 2017, 03:16:35 pm »

Punching people you disagree with is a thing everywhere. Punching people you disagree with his been something happening far longer than not punching people you disagree with. 

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: October 09, 2017, 03:40:44 pm »

As a meme, I mean.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: October 09, 2017, 03:50:14 pm »

As a meme, I mean.

As an internet meme? Probably as long as the internet has been around....
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 793