Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1007939 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #7260 on: November 27, 2017, 05:12:32 am »

I think there's something lost in translation here, because Catalonia is not a "county" in the sense that, say, Norfolk is a county in Massachussets, but an autonomous community. Autonomous communities, legally speaking, would be closer to Scotland in the UK . How many competences of the central goverment have been devolved exactly varies from region to region, though.
Puigdemont's party's immediate purpose was to get greater self-goverment for Catalonia (eg: more devolved authority) rather than full blown independence. The  central goverment's stonewall of the former led to them joining up with other nationalist parties for the latter. Odds are they'd be willing to come to a compromise, though.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7261 on: November 27, 2017, 05:29:03 am »

I think there's something lost in translation here, because Catalonia is not a "county" in the sense that, say, Norfolk is a county in Massachussets, but an autonomous community. Autonomous communities, legally speaking, would be closer to Scotland in the UK . How many competences of the central goverment have been devolved exactly varies from region to region, though.
Puigdemont's party's immediate purpose was to get greater self-goverment for Catalonia (eg: more devolved authority) rather than full blown independence. The  central goverment's stonewall of the former led to them joining up with other nationalist parties for the latter. Odds are they'd be willing to come to a compromise, though.
I'm not sure if it's necessarily translation in that sense.  Smjjames seems to be asserting that administratively, Catalonia would be analogous to a county in precisely the sense that Norfolk is a county in Massachusetts, or for a less ambiguous example that won't trip on the fact that Catalonia is *also* a historical county, Avoyelles is a parish of Louisiana or Denali a borough of Alaska.  This is because Massachusetts is to the United States as Spain is to the European Union, and thus Norfolk within Massachusetts would correspond to Catalonia within the European Union.  It's basically a straightforward cross-compare along hierarchical political lines: US = EU; US state = EU country; US county = EU province/state/autonomous community (but not a Catalonian province). 

The reason I don't agree is because the analogy breaks down from the get-go, as the United States and European Union aren't entirely analogous, nor are Catalonia and, say, Avoyelles Parish.  The United States does not really have autonomous governments below the state level; county, parish, and borough governments all derive their authority from the state.  The major exception, that of the secession of West Virginia from Virginia, was a confederation of multiple counties in a situation where their state had already seceded from the Union.  As such, it'd be more accurate politically to assert that Catalonia within Spain is indeed closest to a state (say, Massachusetts) within the United States, where the EU would be analogous to NAFTA.  This also has the benefit of also being more accurate economically, as Sheb also noted.  Finally, it also avoids the question in this analogy of what happens when you get below this level, where you start running into oddities like an EU city being compared to a US neighborhood or an EU house being compared to a US room. 

EDIT: Added an exception to the rule, since the US is ornery that way.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:39:28 am by Culise »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7262 on: November 27, 2017, 09:22:52 am »

Culise pretty much got what I was trying to get at, that on a political division scale, if the EU were turned into an United States of Europe, Spain would be the state, not Catalonia. It's possible that he was thinking of all the countries split into their consistuent parts, but that would be utterly ridiculous.

I know it's not a perfect analogy because the scale would be skewed from the start and I was trying to get at how silly the comparison was.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7263 on: November 27, 2017, 09:34:06 am »

I’m thinking he meant they would be independent from Spain, but within the EU, so thus like an American state.

The ellipsis in the middle of his quote doesn’t help, since it could be eliminating some of the context.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7264 on: November 27, 2017, 11:04:11 am »

This is both a wtf and an EuroPol thing, apparently Der Spiegel (a German news mag) asked this British singer Morrissey whether he'd kill Trump given the chance. Leaving aside the fact that Morrissey got baited with the question and could have answered differently, why did the magazine ask that? Killing the leader of a country isn't something to casually make a joke question about. Were he American, Morrissey would be getting a visit from the Secret Service, wouldn't be surprised if he got blacklisted by them already. http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/361951-morrissey-i-would-kill-trump-for-the-safety-of-humanity  The Die Spiegel article itself is in German though.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:09:43 am by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7265 on: November 27, 2017, 07:14:28 pm »

Cross posting this in here in case Helgo decides to respond over here.

This is both a wtf and an EuroPol thing, apparently Der Spiegel (a German news mag) asked this British singer Morrissey whether he'd kill Trump given the chance. Leaving aside the fact that Morrissey got baited with the question and could have answered differently, why did the magazine ask that? Killing the leader of a country isn't something to casually make a joke question about. Were he American, Morrissey would be getting a visit from the Secret Service, wouldn't be surprised if he got blacklisted by them already. http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/361951-morrissey-i-would-kill-trump-for-the-safety-of-humanity  The Die Spiegel article itself is in German though.

The tl;dr is that the wtf is why did Der Spiegel even go there, though they're kind of a somewhat provocative magazine, but still.... seriously?
Find me the full version somewhere and I'll be happy to translate - that sounds like something taken way out of context.

The link is in the article, but here: http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/morrissey-ueber-brexit-kevin-spacey-und-merkels-fluechtlingspolitik-a-1178545.html might be paywalled. I tried to use google translate, but it wouldn't load the article page for some reason on mobile.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7266 on: November 28, 2017, 11:38:09 pm »

Ayup, paywalled for 39 cents. You'll have to cough that up yourself, I don't really do e-payments ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7267 on: November 29, 2017, 01:33:17 am »

Here's some fun for you. You can delete the paywall wrapper using browser's inspect tools, and underneath it is fuzzed-out text. I was able to delete a bunch of HTML from the active page, which removed the paywall and fuzziness. However, what was underneath it was "encrypted" but with only ROT-1 encoding. So I wrote a little script to reverse that:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SPIEGEL: If there was a button here and if you pressed on it, Trump would die dead - would you push it or not?

Morrissey: I would, for the safety of humanity. It has nothing to do with my personal opinion of his face or his family, but in the interest of humanity I would push.

It looks like they got their "39 cents" worth of paywall there for sure.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:47:14 am by Reelya »

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7268 on: November 29, 2017, 03:52:13 am »

Pfff loaded question by der Spiegel and other media twisted the context.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7269 on: November 29, 2017, 06:01:51 am »

Kinda related to EU, but the trials for various war crimes in the balkans are coming to a close and boy are they a doozy. This morning, as the verdict was about to be annouced for general Praljak the dude straight up drank poison or some shit and had to be hospitalized, no news if he's alive or not at this time.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7270 on: November 29, 2017, 11:13:22 am »

Kinda related to EU, but the trials for various war crimes in the balkans are coming to a close and boy are they a doozy. This morning, as the verdict was about to be annouced for general Praljak the dude straight up drank poison or some shit and had to be hospitalized, no news if he's alive or not at this time.

How did they not make sure he didn't have anything on him? Seems like a wise thing to do with people like this. Though I suppose if they did search him, someone could have slipped him the vial at a later point.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 02:14:47 pm by smjjames »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7271 on: November 29, 2017, 01:33:25 pm »

Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7272 on: November 29, 2017, 03:58:27 pm »

Indeed, he died several hours later in a hospital in the Hague. International War Crime Court has been declared a crime scene, and court sessions have been cancelled for now. It will be investigated how he was able to obtain the poison.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7273 on: November 29, 2017, 04:53:15 pm »

Woah that's some james bond shit right there

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7274 on: November 29, 2017, 06:26:23 pm »

I do wonder who is going to investigate it. Even though the ICC is based in the Netherlands, I do believe that the courtroom is officially international neutral territory.
Technically they might have to create an international police agency first before they can investigate how the poison got there, because no one has jurisdiction.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 793