Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1007971 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #8535 on: August 29, 2018, 06:00:50 pm »

Nah UK went full retard and lost everything in the Cod Wars, and then compounded its loss even further by joining the EU common fisheries policy. Scallop wars is vastly smaller stakes compared to Cod wars, and is probably more accurately termed as the Scallop Skirmish, but the popular image of the Scallop Skirmish is a bark much louder than its bite

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8536 on: August 29, 2018, 06:39:02 pm »

Doesnt the french scallop industry fish something like 10 times as much of the little buggers as the british do anyway? And most british catch is just sold back to france anyway. Looks like drum-banging from across the channel to me.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8537 on: August 29, 2018, 06:48:03 pm »

Maybe, but the gist of it seems to be that 'Le crumpeteaters get to fish in there while we can't! Le're steailing oui catch!'* They're even saying in the article that they're accusing the British and Scottish of depleting the catch even though they probably get way more than the British and Scottish do anyway.

*I'll admit that I don't know enough French to make an attempt at bad French, lol. Also, 'crumpeteaters' was just a made up silly insult since I'm not sure what the French use at the British

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8538 on: August 29, 2018, 06:49:22 pm »

Doesnt the french scallop industry fish something like 10 times as much of the little buggers as the british do anyway? And most british catch is just sold back to france anyway. Looks like drum-banging from across the channel to me.
Quote from: beeb
The UK scallop industry is worth £120m and supports 1,350 jobs. About 60% of the catch is exported - with much of it being bought by the French.
To make matters spicier, the conflict took place in international waters. It all looks shady to me though.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8539 on: August 29, 2018, 07:34:07 pm »

To make matters spicier, the conflict took place in international waters. It all looks shady to me though.
I agree, there“s something fishy about the whole thing. It could be a red herring to distract us from juicier catch. We“re being trolled, folks.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8540 on: August 30, 2018, 01:54:21 am »

Dammit, you got there before me  :P

The whole thing seems fishy to me anyway.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8541 on: August 30, 2018, 02:03:05 am »

...but trolling is already a fishing reference...

...you didn't have to fish out a new one...
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8542 on: August 30, 2018, 02:07:21 am »

First the Cod Wars, now the Scallop Wars... Will British fishing never prevail? Will the switch to chicken tikka masala as official street food be finally set in stone? Will the kippers industry take its last kip?

All this and more, only on The History Channel BBC One and a Half.

There was also a "potato war" fought between the Prussians and the Austrians. Later, a Jewish immigrant from Eastern Europe opened the first fried chip shop in London. Coincidence? I don't think so.

The Cod, Scallop and Potato wars were fought so that we could enjoy our fish and chips to this day.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 02:10:53 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8543 on: August 30, 2018, 02:19:52 am »

Could we dredge up some more puns?
I have a sinking feeling our supplies might have run dry already.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8545 on: August 30, 2018, 05:44:26 am »

At least you didn't think it was the sound if typing on a keyboard ;)
Love, scriver~

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8546 on: August 30, 2018, 12:22:17 pm »

I'm so pleased with the Scallop Skirmish.

Yes, the nice, civilised way to handle these things is to meet in a room over some sandwiches and talk it through.  Sadly, that option is SO FUCKING DULL.  i'm glad they fought on the high seas, ramming each other and throwing shit at people's heads, smashing windows and breaking things.  Hell, i'm glad the French are doing it despite having no right to, because god knows the British can't lift a finger for ourselves these days. We're boring, easily controlled sheep, and we have lost all the nerve we once possessed - all the steel that once ran through our spine.

Bring it on, say I - The fires in our hearts have been unkindled for too long.  It pleases me to see people having a bit of a slap about anything these days.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8547 on: August 30, 2018, 01:02:05 pm »

...but trolling is already a fishing reference...

...you didn't have to fish out a new one...
Huh.

Genuinely didn't know that.

Yep. Trolling is a type of fishing where you drag baited hooks along behind a moving boat. The connection to internet trolling should be obvious from the  description.

In Japanese however the term for trolling was just translated to "fishing" in the local language. In a related point, "Kuma" (bear) is a character on 2chan, and when someone is trolling (fishing) he'll appear in the thread going "kuma kuma!" trying to get some of the fish. BTW to also give an indication of how much more toxic 4chan is, in Japan Kuma is just a cute bear who likes fish so he's attracted by the trolls, whereas 4chan turned him into "pedobear" who's attracted by children.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8548 on: August 30, 2018, 02:12:10 pm »

Wait, so the higher the chan number, the more toxic?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8549 on: August 30, 2018, 02:23:35 pm »

It's much more mainstream too. 2chan reportedly has 10 million daily users out of 130 million Japanese citizens, so a good 8% of the entire country is on there on any particular day. You can imagine if you narrowed that down to 15-30 year olds, a significant chunk of Japanese millenials are chatting on 2chan. It has ratings which exceed television networks.

Compare that to 4chan, which has 8 million monthly users out of the 1.5 billion people in the world who speak English. 4chan really is a grimy little 2chan clone infested by a few weebs and creeps compared to the original chan.

Most people don't know the difference, for example this reddit thread is saying 2chan users are "evacuating" to reddit. Which assumes 2chan is a small fringe thing, and not a huge text-messaging juggernaut. And some of the comments are saying that reddit would be invaded by Japanese "trolls" now. So they're really assuming it's some small 4chan like thing.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 02:36:07 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 793