Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008128 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #11400 on: February 04, 2022, 09:48:39 am »

Reminds me of this one poor chap recently who fled to the UK because Somalian jihadists were threatening his life because he used to work for the Somalian government. A decade after he set up shop in the UK... His son joined the jihadists he fled from to commit terror attacks here. Bruh moment

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11401 on: February 04, 2022, 10:00:06 am »

Ah yeah I read about that. I feel so bad for those parents.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11402 on: February 04, 2022, 10:49:08 am »

Our parliament will vote on a new law in two weeks, which makes it possible for anyone to change their gender with the census easily and without obstacles.
Right now, if you want to go to the government to have your gender officially changed, it is mandatory to first get an official expert advise from a relevant medical professional. That prerequisite will be removed if the law passes.
Then you can just go to your city hall, state your new gender, and it will be done (for anyone over age 16).

I am considering changing my gender to female, it will give me access to more subsidies for work reintegration (this is me being a silly joker I am not seriously considering that and I applaud the new law).

The loudest protest comes not from christian parties but from feminists, they fear rapists will abuse the law to gain access to women safe zones.

EDIT: I do applaud the new law, but IMO the minimal age should be 27 years, when a person's frontal lobes are done developing and they are past the period of adolescent continous identity crisis.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 11:03:22 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11403 on: February 04, 2022, 11:15:46 am »

Age is a technical concern which can be sussed out later, what's most important is the principle of whether one can change such a thing willy nilly. I think the principle is sound, because you can already for example change the ethnicity registration without reason. If you decided to be blatantly transracial I wonder if the gov would try to stop you ???

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11404 on: February 04, 2022, 11:20:21 am »

Officially changing your race is unwise though. It can endager your life. Various races need various medical treatments because of biochemical genetic differences.
Same for gender btw. Always tell a doctor your birth gender, not your chosen gender.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11405 on: February 04, 2022, 12:41:51 pm »

Various races need various medical treatments because of biochemical genetic differences
This is a concept that is increasingly being deprecated, and "races" are a very dubious concept to begin with.

I don't mean this in an absolute way. There are obviously important genetic polymorphisms that are associated with ethnic groups, just like with genetic conditions.  But actually changing prescription patterns based on race...  it's highly dubious as it's tantamount to claim that you can analyze someone's dna by how they look.  The whole meme comes in no small measure from certain American guidelines for CV health that are coming under fire. How poorly defined "race" is and the misconceptions that abound dont help the case.

I'd say that pragmatically knowing someone's ethnic background might be useful to suggest an investigation course if something unusual is happening but it shouldn't change the SOC in itself unless you have a very good and pressing reason to do so.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11406 on: February 04, 2022, 01:04:19 pm »

There are genetic differences between ethnicities. The word 'race' is less politically sensitive here and more interchangeable, most people assume that it's not used in the way that the ideology of our former nazi occupiers used it.

One of my new medications' prescriptions says that people with Asian roots might respond differently to the drugs and should consult with their doctor.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11407 on: February 04, 2022, 01:19:30 pm »

This is not about political sensitivities. It's about the concept being a load of crook. Yes, many medication prospects and guidelines  say many things. But the concept is highly dubious and if you take a look at the details underneath you see the whole thing is built on straws.

To use your example: 
people with Asian roots might respond differently to the drugs and should consult with their doctor
This is actually a very good example as obviously not all Asians are the same. Asia is a  continent. Even if you adjust just for East Asians (which is what they usually tend to mean) you're talking about dozens of different ethnicities at the very least. And if you start to look at the small print it frequently becomes even more dubious.

Like I said, the concept it's increasingly deprecated. Not absolutedly, as I said, but its of far less worth than you're making it to be. You can't make wide assumptions of someone's genetic makeup based on their looks.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 01:21:59 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #11408 on: February 04, 2022, 01:34:11 pm »

Officially changing your race is unwise though. It can endager your life. Various races need various medical treatments because of biochemical genetic differences.
Same for gender btw. Always tell a doctor your birth gender, not your chosen gender.

I figure your medical records should already contain details on medicinal gender/sex, so doctors won’t have to use unreliable non-medical records when you need a treatment. Or do you not have a national medical records system in the Netherlands? Either way this issue of medicinal sex not matching legal documents should not be a new one, if changing your legal gender was difficult before there should be plenty of trans people with their assigned-at-birth gender on their passports but who are more or less transitioned, thus causing a mismatch between the medical/legal already. Even ignoring trans people, being intersex of various degrees is more common than most people think, and there you need records to not mess up treatments. The binary sex model is simply a pretty unhefty one, one I hope doctors don’t use straight up.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11409 on: February 04, 2022, 01:41:59 pm »

We do have medical national records in the Netherlands but only for those people who gave explicit permission for their medical records to be shared with the national system. You'd be surprised how many people refuse because they don't want their medical records to be sold on the dark web by Russian hackers.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11410 on: February 05, 2022, 05:03:00 am »

In the UK your medically recorded ethnicity and gov census ethnicity can be completely different so that's fine too

Docs will ask for sex assigned at birth instead of gender, just because that's the most accurate and polite way of phrasing it

Seems like this is just a logistical problem which is very easily resolved by point of contact conversation with a doc or nurse

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11411 on: February 05, 2022, 05:41:13 am »

We have no government census for ethnicity (nor religion). We learned our lesson in WW2.
90% of all dutch jews were annihilated because we kept ethnic census records.
So over here you will need to tell a doctor your ethnicity if relevant, because there are no systems the doctor can look it up in.

I guess the UK never got that message because you weren't occupied
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 05:45:18 am by martinuzz »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11412 on: February 05, 2022, 06:00:59 am »

I guess the UK never got that message because you weren't occupied
Never surrender; never be a team killing fucktard. Achieve these things and life is simple

Also yeah sure records could be a concern in the shadow of fascism or the looming ghost of the soviet union, but now all info is tracked anyways by private companies. No reason not to just have a simple gov system for censuses, the lack of one won't stop any purges

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11413 on: February 05, 2022, 06:12:12 am »

Perhaps my autism, but I do not understand the team killing remark. What does that refer to?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11414 on: February 05, 2022, 06:25:17 am »

Perhaps my autism, but I do not understand the team killing remark. What does that refer to?
History is full of states who decided the best course of action was to kill their own people
Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 793