Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 778

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 855491 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #7455 on: May 23, 2020, 09:11:46 am »

Someone else goddamn ate my cheesecake.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7456 on: May 23, 2020, 10:50:18 pm »

W now thinks COVID-19 is no worse than the flu, and that 5G is messing with birds and bees and might cause COVID-19, and accusing me of mindlessly believing what I’m told, when he believes seemingly believing every video he watches, without researching. I told him about how pathogens spread from infected people to non infected people, and he told me that’s what the mainstream says...All diseases spread from infected to non infected. That’s how they fucking work. Viruses don’t choose who to infect. He should know how viruses work, he went to school. Why can’t he understand that opening things up while people are still dying, will cause many more deaths due to infection spreading? I am tired of people pick9ng which facts and opinions, and opinions disguised as facts to believe. People cannot choose what facts are true. Facts are facts, whether or not people like them. Opinions are not facts. I’m mad that people can be so easily deceived into believing some facts are opinions and vice versa. I told him it was killing thousands each day in the USA. It turns out I underestimated. It actually kills tens of thousands. I am now mad at myself for not checking data first, for not doing the thing I asked W to do. I feel dumb for not checking data beforehand. I’m mad that there are going to be reopenings in various states, even though the pandemic is far from over, and that more people will die because of it. I’m mad that our healthcare system sucks, and is unable to deal with things like this. I’m mad that I can’t do anything to help except continue ue9ng to quarantine, I’m fine with quarantining, but I’m mad that I can;t do anything useful in that time, like helping develop vaccines or something. I want to help but all I can do is watch the number of deaths increase, while the people that can help, like the government, isn’t doing things like enforcing quarantines, increasing funding for the CDC, giving money to those that are researching vaccines...

I’m upset and saddened by the possibility that if/when this is over, that governments won’t change in a way that will help deal with future plagues, such as increasing funding to health agencies and research facilities, and that the one here, the USA federal government, will very likely continue pouring money into the military instead of the CDC

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: May 23, 2020, 11:26:22 pm »

I understand. I dont feel all that different. I'm very worried about the loosening of restrictions, despite things being a bit better in Europe than the US at the moment
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: May 23, 2020, 11:29:40 pm »

How long has the idea been around that if something is mainstream it must be wrong?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: May 23, 2020, 11:38:47 pm »

How long has the idea been around that if something is mainstream it must be wrong?
I’m guessing since conspiracy theories became a thing. While some conspiracies exist/have existed, most, if not all, of the modern ‘conspiracy theories’ (reptile people, 5G death, chemtrails, etc) are not true. Humans are humans (mammals), places without 5G still have cOVID19, so 5G isn’t causing it, and ‘chemtrails’ are condensing water
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:46:19 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: May 24, 2020, 12:15:04 am »

I’m guessing since conspiracy theories became a thing. While some conspiracies exist/have existed, most, if not all, of the modern ‘conspiracy theories’ (reptile people, 5G death, chemtrails, etc) are not true. Humans are humans (mammals), places without 5G still have cOVID19, so 5G isn’t causing it, and ‘chemtrails’ are condensing water

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
 --Issac Asimov

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7461 on: May 24, 2020, 12:17:29 am »

Chemtrails has been around for decades as a conspiracy theory. I'd guess Alex Jones did a lot to push the "mainstream news is fake" agenda. But it was certainly around 10 years ago. I recall being in university and abjectly ignoring mainstream (Fox) news as biased bullshit while choosing what to believe from left-leaning news sources. I don't know when people switched from that (which I still do and recognize as a biased habit, but, eh.) to stating that anything on TV must be a lie. I can see the jump of reasoning though.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: May 24, 2020, 12:25:56 am »

Not believing everything you see on TV is part of being mindful, but the other part is requiring objectively demonstrable and repeatable qualities to what you use to calibrate your bologna detection kit.

If your bologna detection kit is trained on UFOs (specifically alien visitors), Bigfoot, the loch Ness monster, Qanon shenanigans, chemtrails, 5g causes covid-19, and vaccination causes autism--- You are gonna end up fucked pretty hard.

"It seems right to me!" is not appropriate. "There is evidence and research demonstrating--" is what you need.  Objective reality is something that no human is capable of existing (cognitively) in, yet it is what dictates what is and is not-- not what a person perceives.  Testing against it is the only real way to know. 

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: May 24, 2020, 12:43:22 am »

Isn't a false belief (like a conspiracy theory) held that strongly held called a delusion, or at least an overvalued idea? Like, calling non-believers liars, saying that the non-believers are sheep, and in general defending it so vehemently is a hallmark of a delusion, no?

I don't know, but conspiracy theorists look like they have a couple of screws loose. I don't think reason works when you're in that state. I should know, I have an overvalued idea or two lying around in my brain, and reason has worked precisely 0 times in making the damned things shut up.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: May 24, 2020, 01:04:42 am »

I think one factor in the vehemence with which believers defend conspiracy theories is that there isn't much middle ground to retreat to if the belief is challenged, so excessively defensive people tend to commit more strongly if their position is attacked (or if they perceive it that way on some level). On ordinary political issues a person confronted with a valid contrary argument can usually synthesize the new idea into some new compromised or qualified position, perhaps long after the moment of confrontation, but with a conspiracy theory or other belief based on faith the only real internally consistent way of processing counterarguments is to reject them outright or a do a total about-face and abandon the belief.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: May 24, 2020, 05:52:25 am »

I told him it was killing thousands each day in the USA. It turns out I underestimated. It actually kills tens of thousands. I am now mad at myself for not checking data first, for not doing the thing I asked W to do. I feel dumb for not checking data beforehand

Don't, tens of thousands is still thousands ;)
Love, scriver~

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: May 24, 2020, 08:55:02 am »

Isn't a false belief (like a conspiracy theory) held that strongly held called a delusion, or at least an overvalued idea? Like, calling non-believers liars, saying that the non-believers are sheep, and in general defending it so vehemently is a hallmark of a delusion, no?

Dunno, but they are marks of a cult...

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: May 25, 2020, 10:12:57 am »

After two weeks, someone put out the answers to the homework (Not checked or graded, more of an exercise sheet) and I immediately checked it without answering any of the questions myself, which means to me that I'm either too lazy, impatient, or incapable to answer them myself, either way I don't think the home test will go well for me, my only hope is the fact that I usually do better desperate or hopeless.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7468 on: May 25, 2020, 11:21:57 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:04:29 pm by dragdeler »
let

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: May 26, 2020, 01:18:08 pm »

I've been messaging a girl online. She lives really close to me. The discussion revolved around movies and hobbies - she's into genealogy, apparently - which I found amusing. I added her on Facebook and Snapchat. Her Facebook is filled with pics of her partying with her mates. I'd never want to party or drink (call me weird). I like libraries, going on holiday to ancient ruins, that sort of thing. I'm beginning to wonder what we'd do if we did get together.

Then I'm wondering whether I'm deliberately sabotaging yet another potential relationship because it makes me feel anxious (don't ask me why. My social skills are fine in nearly any other context.). So that's where I'm at.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 778