Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859916 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8160 on: September 10, 2020, 12:30:13 am »

I personally viewed it more like this:

Angry Mamabear Karen demands to see the manager. (After being politely refused broad spectrum antibiotics for her "Precious child" who has the sniffles, because mommy wont listen to reason that viral pathogens are unaffected by antibiotics, the darling brat does not have signs of opportunistic bacterial infection, and prescribing antibiotics is inappropriate, no matter how much she has convinced herself that they will help, and no matter how many times she mentions Corona virus. The greater risk is community spread of antibiotic resistant bacteria, caused by literally pissing away the things into the sewer system, and so there is a more compelling case, in terms of medical ethics, to tell her to piss off and give her kid some chicken soup, than to capitulate to her petulance.)  Becomes increasingly belligerent to the point of public spectacle. 

Begrudgingly, the underling summons you to the scene. Intends for you to basically repeat everything he just said to the woman, to make her go away-- instead gets berated for being incompetent, due to your being overwhelmed with other tasks, and this being a minor, and totally bullshit reason to summon you.

But I could just be reading too much in, being bottom rung. :)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8161 on: September 10, 2020, 12:39:18 am »

Begrudgingly, the underling summons you to the scene. Intends for you to basically repeat everything he just said to the woman, to make her go away-- instead gets berated for being incompetent, due to your being overwhelmed with other tasks, and this being a minor, and totally bullshit reason to summon you.
Well, it would be. Objectively, the underling's time is worth less and screening out people like that is his whole purpose. If he's just going to refer complainers up the chain, might as well cut out the middleman, because there's no reason for him to have a job.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8162 on: September 10, 2020, 12:48:48 am »

It wasn't anything like that. It was stuff requested by another team that strictly speaking if we went by the book would have to be sent in in a written form and wasn't urgent. He did not even have a proper question for me. It might be the other team didn't either, but he should have pressed on that if so, and in any case thats why I wanted it in writing.  Instead he called me to convey vague demands for a consult which spun about a spat between two other teams and with the given info didn't make much sense.

This is the same guy who bungled another thing a few days ago.

Mind you in both cases there were other teams involved doing nutty stuff, but the performance of my minion is anything but sane. Instead of dampening the problems those guys create he amplifies them. It's almost easier when he doesnt pick up the phone at all.

Mind you in a way I was aware of this possibility before coming back. In this system you have underlings. If they're good this means a vastly reduced workload. If they're bad... you'll be very busy babysitting them. But this one is kind of unusually dangerous.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 12:53:51 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8163 on: September 10, 2020, 12:52:57 am »

Yes and no.

Most people are not going to be Mamabear Karens.  (though the US tends to... Select for... that archetype.)  Most people will respond positively to a calm and polite "The common cold and the sniffles are usually the result of a viral infection, which antibiotics are ineffective against. The best remedy for a viral infection is to support the body's natural immune health; so get your little man plenty of rest, lots of water, and if the need arises, a mild fever reducer, like tylenol" type statement.

It's the belligerent Dr Google types, who are IN-SENSED that you would DARE suggest that THEIR CHILD should not get IMMEDIATELY PRESCRIBED THE HARDEST HITTING ANTIBIOTICS OUT THERE, because it COULD BE CORONA, that are the biggest issue.

Nothing short of the doctor going "No, your child does not need that, get out." will satisfy that type.  They will just continue to hang around like a cloying stench of festering feces from a medical dumpster, until that happens-- Often getting more and more angry-- and the PR hit the facility gets from that could very well cost you your job, as a subordinate.  It's a special condition, that sadly, is getting more and more prevalent.  As much as I would enjoy giving that woman a huge vial of vanco, and suggesting that she take some herself, it would be both outside my scope of practice (too far down to prescribe anything anyway), and the child does not deserve the potential case of c-diff from having all the other bacteria in their body nuked from fucking orbit from that shit.  Mommy? Oh-- she DESERVE to suffer large on the toilet with diarrhea for days on end.  The kid is just a bystander that did not get to choose who its mother was.

The point here, is that you end up in a "Damned if do, damned if dont" scenario when this happens.

Ignore the screeching petulance of the woman-- Get fired.
Call the attending physician in to tell the woman everything you just did, and tell her to get lost-- Get scolded.

Getting scolded is the lesser harm to yourself.  Thats why it happens.

and-- NINJA.

So, basically, the guy is just inept about handling simple paperwork and clerical activities?  Fuck-- I would suggest that I could totally do that job if you would hire me-- but that would require me to leave my cooshy gig, and travel overseas, and run the international visa bullshit gambit.

Also, probably lack essential paper credentials. 

(Seriously, I help with getting paperwork sorted with my nurses pretty regularly.)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 12:58:07 am by wierd »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8164 on: September 10, 2020, 12:56:26 am »

You seem to persist on this idea of yours that a patient was involved at all in the discussion. He was not, and likely was not aware of any discussion whatsoever. This was all medical team sheanigans. They borked their planning and now wanted a fast answer for something that was neither urgent nor anything a fast answer would solve faster than a normal channels answer. And the question was lacking info too.

There are basically two possibilities: either my underling reported their (incomplete) query correctly, in which case the question doesnt make any sense, or he bungled it and it was something else altogether, in which case the  nonurgent action plan would have to be deferred until all involved people had slots again, so again, nothing that needs an answer now.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 12:59:03 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8165 on: September 10, 2020, 12:58:52 am »

No no, You ninja'd me while I was writing that.

It was a response to MaxSpin, suggesting that getting the attending physician in such cases is bad.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8166 on: September 11, 2020, 08:04:26 am »

I was trying to hype myself up to finally get some decent exercise done this evening, after a day that was unintentionally lazy despite my managing to have a decent night's sleep, but for some reason (possibly due to a conversation I had on mildly unpleasant topics with someone who can be at least moderately unpleasant at times) I am suddenly feeling real low.   
...This is probably just my brain chemistry conspiring with the lazy flesh of my body to prevent any kind of workout from happening. I know it. <.<   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8167 on: September 11, 2020, 01:51:16 pm »

Do it and you'll probably feel better after. If I slump during the day I go for a walk or exercise. Tends to lift me out of it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8168 on: September 11, 2020, 04:19:14 pm »

Do it and you'll probably feel better after. If I slump during the day I go for a walk or exercise. Tends to lift me out of it.
Quoting this advice in hopes I'll take it in the future.  I'm doing okay right now, but there have been some rough days.  Going out at all tends to help, sometimes breaks the funk.

But at the same time, I know it's not that simple.  Cause or effect, right?  Did I break out of the funk because I forced myself to exercise, or was I able to exercise because the funk was breaking?
I did just have a nice brief walk in the drizzle, and it did feel good. 

Two days of labor with a sleepover coming up which I know will make me feel better.  Engagements I can't renege on... help, uncomfortable though they are.  Ennui, anxious productivity, inebriation, and back.  Sometimes a slow cycle, sometimes fast.

Video game sadness:
I constructed... executed the construction of this railroad, with the rest of the board.  And I forced through the utmost concessions to the Union.  But this still happens.
Of course it does.  That's how the system works.

Rolan7 has become slightly more inclined to the Liberation of Night.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8169 on: September 12, 2020, 07:19:08 am »

Bleugh. Lay down to rest my eyes for a moment since I was feeling all headache-y (probably eyestrain from playing videogames and watching Netflix all day), next thing I know I've fallen asleep for hours.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BoujeeTheAlan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8170 on: September 12, 2020, 07:43:39 am »

Probably needed it, buddy.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8171 on: September 12, 2020, 11:46:01 am »

I wanted to make a flavored rice thing in the microwave, and I covered it with a paper towel, and then the steam sagged the paper towel into the delicious flavor water and now it won't taste as good.

EDIT: It was still ok.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 12:23:19 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8172 on: September 12, 2020, 12:18:25 pm »

Bleugh. Lay down to rest my eyes for a moment since I was feeling all headache-y (probably eyestrain from playing videogames and watching Netflix all day), next thing I know I've fallen asleep for hours.   

Probably needed it, buddy.

You have now entered the age when staying up late to as you a headache, yoink
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8173 on: September 12, 2020, 12:28:24 pm »

I think the status of the job market here is waaaay worse than back home. WeŽll see what happens in 4-6 months
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 12:43:58 pm by ChairmanPoo »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8174 on: September 12, 2020, 11:27:45 pm »

My friend got me into Hisoutensoku, a fighting game with Touhou characters. Looking into the online community for it, I'm surprised to learn that such a niche and old game has a very alive community for it still. I have something of a main character I like to play already, and I'm eager to learn, and so I look into videos of high level players...

"Holy fuck... these... these are humans playing right?"

It's just unfathomable the level of dexterity and reaction speed these people must have. I'm just a button mashing old man with Alzheimer's in comparison.

Just to try, I managed to play with someone, finding their ip on the Discord for the game. I feel I wouldn't do terribly, I do semi-alright versus my friend and I have 10-15 hours of practice in the game. In the span of a minute he teaches me I don't know how to play the game and I'm basically wasting his time.  Jesus I just feel deflated.
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 779