Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859623 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8175 on: September 13, 2020, 05:10:34 am »

My friend got me into Hisoutensoku, a fighting game with Touhou characters. Looking into the online community for it, I'm surprised to learn that such a niche and old game has a very alive community for it still. I have something of a main character I like to play already, and I'm eager to learn, and so I look into videos of high level players...

"Holy fuck... these... these are humans playing right?"

It's just unfathomable the level of dexterity and reaction speed these people must have. I'm just a button mashing old man with Alzheimer's in comparison.

Just to try, I managed to play with someone, finding their ip on the Discord for the game. I feel I wouldn't do terribly, I do semi-alright versus my friend and I have 10-15 hours of practice in the game. In the span of a minute he teaches me I don't know how to play the game and I'm basically wasting his time.  Jesus I just feel deflated.

Put that in perspective, would you expect to hold your own against experienced chess players with 10-15 hours of chess experience? You're just being unrealistic here.

You're doing alright against your friend because you have that experience against their particular play style, or choice of characters, so you've been training to counter that. Doesn't mean you're learning to counter anyone else.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 05:12:54 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: September 13, 2020, 12:33:42 pm »

Yeah, you're right, I was just really in awe of these players whose skill level seems unreachably high.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: September 13, 2020, 12:47:03 pm »

You must practice longer and harder.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8178 on: September 13, 2020, 01:27:21 pm »

The air conditioner in my car no longer appears to be functional.  It is 10 years old, and thankfully it's starting to get to be the season where I don't need it, but it's still annoying.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: September 13, 2020, 07:00:57 pm »

I remember playing Smash Bros with close friends and family back in the day and thinking I was hot shit 'cause I could beat them all.   
Then I moved to this new town, befriended a new bunch of nerds, and at some point a bunch of us wound up playing Melee and I was quickly knocked off my perch by all these crazy pro strats they were using. Pretty wild. Who knew the dodge/shield button was actually good for anything?   

Bit demoralising, but at least years later in more recent times, at a similar gathering of nerdy types playing a more recent Smash game, I managed to cheese my way to an incredibly satisfying victory over one of these friggin' professional types (after not having even played the current entry in the series) by playing as Yoshi, hahaha.   

So I guess the moral of the story is, practice just enough to find the cheapest strategy and them employ it mercilessly and without shame until you get a win. Or, you know, invest the time to get good, I guess...   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: September 14, 2020, 12:05:32 am »

You must practice longer and harder.

Faster, stronger!
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: September 14, 2020, 01:47:59 am »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8182 on: September 14, 2020, 02:11:36 am »

I think it's an olympics reference
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: September 14, 2020, 02:22:29 am »

Nah, it's obviously Donkey Kong.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: September 14, 2020, 02:43:57 am »

The air conditioner in my car no longer appears to be functional.  It is 10 years old, and thankfully it's starting to get to be the season where I don't need it, but it's still annoying.
Have you tried using a recharge kit on the condenser?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: September 14, 2020, 09:02:22 am »

I'm trying to get Puppy Linux to work within Bochs to test the compatibility of DF with different emulated CPUs, and it's taking upwards of forever to actually boot. I can't tell if it's just crashed, or if the speed of the emulator is causing it to be really damn slow. Fucking hell. This isn't the first time either. I literally left my PC overnight trying to get Bochs to boot Lubuntu. I have actual footage on my hard drive of the 7 hour, 26 minute and 53 second affair, and it didn't even boot. Just the endless blinking cursor. In both cases, even if it booted, it would've taken far too long, since I need to restart the VM at least 3-4 times to reconfigure the emulated CPU.

I'm sure there's something even more lightweight that might work, but I'm not familiar enough with Linux to really try and get something to work. That, or I need to admit defeat and just run the Windows version of 43.04 and hope that the results there are applicable to Linux 47.04. It would compromise the validity of my results, and I wouldn't be happy with it because of that. I'm testing 47.04, not 43.04, and I really don't want to compromise on that. Maybe QEMU could work, but that seems even more like a pain in the ass to set up, as if Bochs wasn't hard enough.

(I'll probably rephrase this thing into something more professional in the appropriate thread, but for now, I'm just upset.)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 09:23:14 am by methylatedspirit »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8186 on: September 14, 2020, 02:46:20 pm »

Have you tried using a recharge kit on the condenser?
No not yet; that was the first thing I was going to check though.  Yesterday was the first day I noticed anything awry.  I may not even bother until the spring now though; if I have a slow leak, I don't want to fill it and have it leak out over the course of winter...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8187 on: September 14, 2020, 03:50:02 pm »

Air quality because of the fires is horrendous. Can't see more than 200 yards, hurts to breathe, it's slowly raining little bits of ash, and it hasn't changed for 3 days. It's never been this bad in the last six years we've been here, and the fires have never been so close. And I don't even think there were fires until after labor day
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8188 on: September 14, 2020, 05:02:46 pm »

Air quality because of the fires is horrendous. Can't see more than 200 yards, hurts to breathe, it's slowly raining little bits of ash, and it hasn't changed for 3 days. It's never been this bad in the last six years we've been here, and the fires have never been so close. And I don't even think there were fires until after labor day

Considering the gender-reveal that started one of the fires, the words "labor day" are especially significant....
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8189 on: September 14, 2020, 10:05:50 pm »

Realizing that wave-particle duality and similar spooky quantum effects happen because we live in a simulation and it's using lazy evaluation.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 779