Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 860008 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #9555 on: January 17, 2022, 11:21:51 am »

What would be the problem to you if someone did think you were a sweaty fatty at ping pong?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9556 on: January 17, 2022, 01:24:36 pm »

You love ping pong man, that's way more important than how you look doing it or if you get tired fast these days. This pandemic is fucking terrible, I don't know anyone who hasn't either gained a lot of weight or lost a dangerous amount of it. Both are not good for your cardio health.

Go ping that pong! Take a break when you need it!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9557 on: January 19, 2022, 07:07:17 pm »

fuckin'

two hundred dollar electric bill

and i'm STILL COLD CAN I AT LEAST BE COMFORTABLE FOR THAT PRICE PLS

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9558 on: January 19, 2022, 10:28:06 pm »

You clearly need more blankets. Two hundred bucks worth of blankets a month for a few months and you will be goddamn toasty. Especially if you hang some of the spare ones on the walls. Get like four or five of the 30-50 buck king sized ones per go and just pile those things on. technically you'd probably do even better with even more thinner ones, but whatever, you get the idea

... anyway, personal mild-ish sads, grandfather's last brother passed today. Wasn't particularly close to him and my grandfather's like... there's not really enough left of him to really understand or feel bad or so on (dementia can fuck right off, etc., etc.)... so it's here instead of the sad thread proper, but. Yeah. Still sucks even if he wasn't particularly well known to me, just 'cause it means grandfather's out of siblings now :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9559 on: January 19, 2022, 11:17:08 pm »

I've already gotten comments during work meetings about being enscarfed in two hand-knitted blankets I've found thrift shopping. Being a small man in a drafty apartment, I'm just generally always cold anyways.

... I could probably fill a room and make tunnels in it if I spent two hundred bucks on thrift store knitted blankets like these, given they were 2-5 a pop. That'd be fun. Or maybe just cocoon for the rest of the winter. That'd be fun too.

Sorry to hear you lost another relative. It's... unnerving how mechanical it ends up feeling when you lose relatives you're not close with.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9560 on: January 20, 2022, 02:54:42 am »

Managed to harm my self yesterday while crawling around under the house while trying to find a pipe so I could fix it. Not sure if I strained or pulled something but it sure does make it hard to stand up or cough.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9561 on: January 20, 2022, 08:05:49 am »

I am so bored with lockdowns that I voluntarily made an appointment with my dentist for tartar removal.
I think I need help.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9562 on: January 20, 2022, 08:07:03 am »

I'll help ya ok?! Gimme that appointment or I'll stab you with a toothpick.
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9563 on: January 20, 2022, 08:09:38 am »

Oh honey don't you think it's a little too soon for that?

I don't usually stab people with an icepick until after a third date
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9564 on: January 20, 2022, 01:12:57 pm »

As I am moving offices, I find a file from when I last moved offices.  I hadn't billed it, so now I'm out $1650.
I wonder how much money I'll lose with this move?  :'(

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9565 on: January 20, 2022, 02:45:17 pm »

Customer decided that after 24 years of business they wanted a new company Quickbooks file. Unfortunately, we run software that integrates with it, and they've been using us for their business for about a decade now.

They made the new file and did a bunch of adjustments to it without talking to us about it first. So a week before Christmas I get an email saying "We need this new file ready for 2022. Please make work thanks."

And then they throw 40 pages of QBs reports at me, expecting me to go into the business data of our software and make all these changes for them, and eject 8 years worth of transactions at the same time.

I basically said no, and pushed in all their old data. I've been at for close to 60 hours now, because pushing 85k invoices and 93k payments into quickbooks takes a couple seconds PER OBJECT. I had my developers make several fixes to our tool that does this. Otherwise this would have been completely unfeasible.

So I tell my boss, who set these guys up 10 years ago AND imported all this bullshit data they don't like. And he was like "You didn't save yourself anything, I'm going to have to go down there and sort this out." Basically: why didn't you fix the mess I left 10 years ago and take responsibility for their entire Accounts Receivable.

Even he admits that their data was fucked 10 years ago, and was never right. All I'm doing is putting what was already there back into a new file (shaving about 500mbs of file size off it in the process), so they have a basic starting point to DO THEIR OWN FUCKING RECONCILIATION INSTEAD OF JUST THROWING REPORTS AT ME AND EXPECTING ME TO FIX IT ALL FOR THEM.

I have long had a problem with how deeply we're expected to stick our hands into other people's AR because they won't do it themselves. I'm really tired of us constantly expecting us to work magic for customers who can't be assed to get their operations in order. They pay a few hundred dollars a month in support fees for the right to call us for just about anything......but this shit is stupid, and always has been.

The owner of the business didn't even ask for this to happen. It was their CPA (you know, the person nominally responsible for keeping their books straight) who was like "I don't like how long it takes to run reports out of this file, and I don't like all these bad invoices. Let's just flush everything!"

No. I'm not going to flush everything then spend the next year taking responsibility for the fact your primary inventory and POS software doesn't even come close to matching what Quickbooks says. You want to dig that hole, I'll hand you the shovel. I'm not going to stand in that hole for you.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9566 on: January 20, 2022, 05:06:51 pm »

Man, I haven't even touched quickbooks or much bookkeeping in like a decade, but even with that
They made the new file and did a bunch of adjustments to it without talking to us about it first. So a week before Christmas I get an email saying "We need this new file ready for 2022. Please make work thanks."

And then they throw 40 pages of QBs reports at me, expecting me to go into the business data of our software and make all these changes for them, and eject 8 years worth of transactions at the same time.
that is just "lol fucking wot, no" on so many levels
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9567 on: January 20, 2022, 07:23:37 pm »

I love it. On one side I have one group of customers basically saying they'd commit tax fraud if they had to, and on the other side, I have customers who want to offload the AR reconciliation of millions of dollars worth of business at my feet.

On top of all the normal tech support training, bug reports, debugging, investigation, database work, installs, deployments, printers, documentation, general IT questions and advice. And now they've added webinars to the mix so I get to take time out to write scripts and then perform like a trained monkey for the sake of marketing. I'm also team lead. They don't even ask us to QA stuff because they know we don't have the time.

I really would love to know what all this would fetch in the job market. Because at this point my skill set goes well beyond T2 support. And I'm about fed up with being asked to do all this shit for what I get paid, and this is AFTER my raise I demanded after being made team lead. If I'm wearing 7 goddamn hats I want to be paid for at least 3 of them.

I knew 2022 was going to hit hard but damn. When I saw the email in 2021 I knew it would be bad, but not this bad. I finally bit the bullet and just told my team "My phone is on DND until I get this resolved. If someone calls or messages to talk to me, it goes in a case and waits or it gets handled by you guys for now." I've always taken this as a little deliberate slacking on my part but I'm done beating myself up for not trying to do all the things anymore.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9568 on: January 28, 2022, 10:38:07 am »

May as well go check out what the job market is saying, worse case scenario you get an offer and say no

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9569 on: January 28, 2022, 11:34:44 am »

Being an adult is annoying.

I have to decide between contractors for HVAC updates for my house (preventive, not emergency).  Trying to balance cost against quality, etc.  And this is not a small difference in cost, it's across a range between $13k and $20k, but the higher cost ones are what I'd call more comprehensive work... so do I get the minimum I need, or do I pay more for what I should get...

Blarghaghghghargh
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 779