Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24

Author Topic: "The City" (Multiplayer-ish Dwarven Economy) 42.05 LNP -Combined game phase-  (Read 33243 times)

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or the founders could defer payment until sometime next year for the picks.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oooh, it's the "value" from creating supply and demand; or perceived scarcity versus abundance. 

Let's look at lumber.
The trees are finite for cutting "within" 1 district. 
Cutting it all will create abundance.
But the trees growth date makes it renewable, but in a scarce rate.

See, the value to obtain a pick-axe is very high initially because it is scarce at 2 quantity. 
So, I can see us selling, trading the abundant trees (or other natural resources) found in our district. 
But this is just raw materials.

Now let's look at Finished Goods.   
I did an auto-repeat in making beds, barrels, cabinets, doors, training axes, shields; and other handful of tools.  The quality for beds I had at most *SUPERIOR* quality and ≡EXCEPTIONAL≡ nor ☼MASTERWORK☼ yet.  Let's look at beds as non-trading items and more RP items. The quality factor will create that scarcity demands initially until Mr Doren's Carpenter skills becomes higher--at which point, it will look like superior and exceptional qualities are common, and masterworks are rare.

My points:
Raw materials has value.
Time to gather and haul the raw materials has value.
Skills to process has value.
Quality of Finished of goods has value.

Mr Doren who I want to gain carpenter skills will need more Raw wood to skill up. 
I rather make carpenter items out of raw wood, than use wood flooring for more experience skill points.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

might is suggest workshop [P]rofiles? at least set them for my workshops so only my dwarves can use them
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

might is suggest workshop [P]rofiles? at least set them for my workshops so only my dwarves can use them

Good idea.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

also, appologies for my butchered wtiting. I hate autocorrect, and use a phonewith a tiny screen.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been reading up on economic theory...  :o  My head is swimming, but I think I've come across how currency in our City might be applied to an actual value.  The whole idea behind straight barter is something that economists call "a coincidence of needs".  Basically, two people with needs for the resources the other has, decide on a trade of those resources so that both needs are satisfied.  If one person needs more or a particular resource than the other needs the resource that's offered, the one with the greater need will trade more of their resource to fulfill the need they have, resulting in a basic "market price".  The problem with a straight barter system is that sometimes the person with a specific need will not have the correct resources to trade with the person who has the needed resources, so no trade would occur, leading to the need going unfulfilled.  So, in a straight barter system, people would attempt to stock up on basic needs like food or salt, which everybody needed and barter those necessities for whatever other resources they needed. 

These stockpiles of basic necessities were difficult to trade and re-trade, however, which led to the creation of "promissory notes" in the form of coins. Coins were used as a more easily carried version of those basic necessities, and could be exchanged for those necessities by anyone who wished to gain those necessities from someone who had them.

Bartering has several problems, most notably that it requires a "coincidence of wants". For example, if a wheat farmer needs what a fruit farmer produces, a direct swap is impossible as seasonal fruit would spoil before the grain harvest. A solution is to trade fruit for wheat indirectly through a third, "intermediate", commodity: the fruit is exchanged for the intermediate commodity when the fruit ripens. If this intermediate commodity doesn't perish and is reliably in demand throughout the year (e.g. copper, gold, or wine) then it can be exchanged for wheat after the harvest. The function of the intermediate commodity as a store-of-value can be standardized into a widespread commodity money, reducing the coincidence of wants problem. By overcoming the limitations of simple barter, a commodity money makes the market in all other commodities more liquid.

Many cultures around the world eventually developed the use of commodity money. Ancient China, Africa, and India used cowry shells. Trade in Japan's feudal system was based on the koku – a unit of rice. The shekel was an ancient unit of weight and currency. The first usage of the term came from Mesopotamia circa 3000 BC and referred to a specific weight of barley, which related other values in a metric such as silver, bronze, copper etc. A barley/shekel was originally both a unit of currency and a unit of weight.[65]

Wherever trade is common, barter systems usually lead quite rapidly to several key goods being imbued with monetary properties[citation needed]. In the early British colony of New South Wales, rum emerged quite soon after settlement as the most monetary of goods. When a nation is without a currency it commonly adopts a foreign currency. In prisons where conventional money is prohibited, it is quite common for cigarettes to take on a monetary quality. Contrary to popular belief, precious metals have rarely been used outside of large societies. Gold, in particular, is sufficiently scarce that it has only been used as a currency for a few relatively brief periods in history.

~Wikipedia

So, what we might use as the basis for value is exchange for a necessary base good: The Wood Log

I like Sanctume's idea of making a Wood Log the basis against which the standard of value and money is based, which would make the unharvested value of a tree an actual investment, since having less wood circulating around in trade would make each log worth more in exchange for goods, but ONLY if a District had a scarcity of wood relative to its needs for that wood. (Which wouldn't be the case if a District was able to harvest trees from unassigned Districts.  Doing so would actually devalue the harvested District, making certain ones also more valuable than others for future development plans.) 

The Civ name is "The Merchants of Wood", so that also ties in nicely, which is cool.

Another idea would be to make wooden barrels of booze be the inter-district trade goods instead, with the various quality levels of booze creating the variation of coinage value, based on the happiness of the dwarves who would drink it.  This would also work as trade-in value of decorated barrels to the Districts producing booze:
We could call it "The Booze Standard".
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 05:23:17 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So glad I built my still.

But, I like the idea of making wood, or booze, as our center of trading. It certainly saves the trouble of all a lot of future promises in regards to services and goods and such.

On another note, does anyone take issue with me stealing the bees from their district's hives next year?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Trade with the Mountainhome would still involve gaining other items relative to the "dwarfbuck" value of that item traded, so I think what's needed is that the goods that the Outpost Liason said they need as part of the export agreement is the ONLY trade goods they'll accept when they come around again the next year, (obviously an RP when I play the Combined Game.)  Since there is no year 202 export agreement in effect yet, Districts would be free to trade whatever they wanted to the Caravan this year (202).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 05:32:40 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So glad I built my still.

But, I like the idea of making wood, or booze, as our center of trading. It certainly saves the trouble of all a lot of future promises in regards to services and goods and such.

On another note, does anyone take issue with me stealing the bees from their district's hives next year?

Was there any beehive that spawned?  I did not recall.  I did saw an ant colony. 

Anyway, there still is a bug that it will require exactly 1 dwarf to do beehive labor, otherwise, one or all becomes stuck waiting for the beehive to be ready for collection. 

I think it would be "fair" to get RP compensated for 1 jug of honey or 1 barrel of mead for every 2 transferred hives out of a a district.  Meaning, 1st spawn cost 1 production item (honey or mead), and 2nd is to the beekeeper's profits.

There's a max of 40 hives, sounds fun!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Civ name is "The Merchants of Wood", so that also ties in nicely, which is cool.

Another idea would be to make wooden barrels of booze be the inter-district trade goods instead, with the various quality levels of booze creating the variation of coinage value, based on the happiness of the dwarves who would drink it.  This would also work as trade-in value of decorated barrels to the Districts producing booze:

Just some thoughts. 

1. Booze in wood barrels = currency
2. Wood barrels are "in"
3. Wood pots are a "no"?  Booze in wood pots is fake currency.
4. Stone pots are "no"? except for lignite or jet because those materials pots are lighter than wood barrels. Booze in stone pots is fake currency
5. Metal barrels are "in"
6. Booze in metal barrels = currency.  I'd say "more" value as metal sources is finite, but are more in quantity initially but more labor intensive to retrieve. 

Wood as a resource.
1. Let's say there are 100 trees per district, x20 = 2,000 trees.
2. Average of 5 logs per cut trees = 10,000 possible "barrels" initially. 
3. Depending on sapling growth rate, let's say 10 trees grow / district / year, x20 = 200 trees x 5 logs = 1,000 possible "barrels" currency added annually.

My point is that wood are a resource is abundant at first, but becomes scarce when harvested without regard, so there is a built in "keep the future" in mind investment.  The re-growth rate of trees makes it an ideal source of currency.  And this does not include cavern trees, or underground fungus tree farms.

Compare to metal as resource.
1. There are more metals (assume) in an embark map spanning many z-levels.
2. These metal ores are finite that once all of it are mined out, it's is all gone. 
3. But it also takes time to convert the ores into multiple bars; and into barrels.

Metals to make into barrels as form of currency would be a finite source to inflate or deflate the value of wood currency.

I can see it at now when the first batch of gold barrels are introduced.  "I'd trade you 10 wood barrel booze for that 1 gold barrel booze!"  Then years later, then gold barrels are common, the trade will be back to 1:1 ratio.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Trade with the Mountainhome would still involve gaining other items relative to the "dwarfbuck" value of that item traded, so I think what's needed is that the goods that the Outpost Liason said they need as part of the export agreement is the ONLY trade goods they'll accept when they come around again the next year, (obviously an RP when I play the Combined Game.)  Since there is no year 202 export agreement in effect yet, Districts would be free to trade whatever they wanted to the Caravan this year (202).

Ooh, I like this.  It can circumvent the cheesy strats of trading prepared meals, and other overpriced goods such as mechanisms and weapon traps.

It's actually more legit to make obsidian crafts (mugs) as obsidian is 3x the value of other normal stones.

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ooh, I like this.  It can circumvent the cheesy strats of trading prepared meals, and other overpriced goods such as mechanisms and weapon traps.

It's actually more legit to make obsidian crafts (mugs) as obsidian is 3x the value of other normal stones.

Ill keep that in kind.

What is the ratio for wood logs to booze barrels?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

1 log= 1 barrel.
1 plant = 5booze units.
1 barrel can hold 30 (I think)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1 log= 1 barrel.
1 plant = 5booze units.
1 barrel can hold 30 (I think)

Yes, I think 1 barrel holds 30 drink units.

However the mechanics of brewing is based on stacks of plants.
The harvest is 0-6 plant + 0-3 potashed, so the max plant stack is [9] plump helmet for example. 
Now the still is a straight [1] plump helmet = [5] dwarven wine process.

If there is a stack [9] plump helmet = [45] dwarven wine.  However, only [30] dwarven wine can fit in a barrel.  A job will require another barrel to be filled with the remainder, so [9] plump helmet = 1 barrel with [30] dwarven wine, and 1 barrel with [15] dwarven wine.

Booze is stored the same way in pots.  30 max booze units per container, even though pots has a capacity of 60.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We could have "rations of booze" as the currency, and require they be in barrels and not pots. (Because of arbitrary.)  There's also the bit where you trade the Mountainhome for barrels of booze, which becomes an influx of currency from outside the City too. Just a knee-jerk thought.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24