Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 480597 times)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 336 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #300 on: May 12, 2017, 04:47:09 pm »

I find your scolars quite interesting as well... on the other hand, why do you have them if they cant write books?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #301 on: May 12, 2017, 05:17:49 pm »

It's interesting that they can do this and become skilled scientists without any written materials (because the fort was upgraded from 40.24 to 43.05 it doesn't have the raws for paper and books). It gives it a very "science and philosophy of antiquity" feel to it.
Versions are backwards-compatible?
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 12, 2017, 09:42:24 pm »

Yep! To a certain extent. You can run a fort you made on 40.24 in 43.05. It just won't have the raws for books or paper or some of the adventure mode stuff.

I have the scholars just for fun really. Also, maybe one day I'll figure out how to insert book raws into the save.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 357 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #303 on: June 01, 2017, 05:23:14 pm »

Fath had worked tirelessly with spiritual conviction. The temples were nearing completion, but there were inner voices at work within his mind that he could not explain as divine guidance.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They were thoughts and instructions from just beyond his concious understanding and a series of events over the last few years had finally made them become clear.
The first event had been the death of Moldath, one of the last great warriors of the Mountainous Castles who had survived the invasion of Hell.

It left Iton, as the last survivng member of that great battle. That is when the fragmented thoughts began.

They became clearer when the glass tower reached the first river bed. The engineers and miners led by King Zan himself had a difficult task ahead of them as the glass tower was to go through two rivers, a waterfall and a narrow 2 level aquifer. They postulated many solutions on how to dam the rivers, but in the end the king simply concluded to pour magma strategically on both and mine out the stone where needed.

The aquifer was a more difficult challenge. They began to dig down into it from above letting the water pour into the river basin and flow downstream, then pour magma around the edge to seal the water within the stone.

They repeated this for the 2nd level until the river bed was completely dry. But still the voices inside Fath were unintelligible.

The king then set to channelling out the river bed and replacing it with glass.

It was then that the first rays of sunlight blazed through the immense glass spire and reached the slade floors of Hell.

Fath felt as though he had been stuck and he could hear the ground tremble with electric vibaration as though an alien heartbeat stirred to life within the ground. He could see the eerie glowing pits pulse with hidden energies and at last he heard the voice speak a word to him in a low growled whisper, "Armok".

Fath knew what was to be done. A grand temple to one God, his God, the God of his blood. And when his God came to him, Fath would be ready to serve and control of Archcrystal would be his, and his alone.

Zan the king had been aware of Fath's divine devotion for many years, however it gave him no pause. He was an industrious king and there was work to be done. He and his engineers replaced the stone river bed with dwarven glass.

Once completed he gave the command for the first dam to be broken and let the river flow again through the tower and on its way downriver, just in time for the heavy rains that began to refill the empty river.

He then instructed honey bees to be brought down to hell as they could finally survive in the sunlit portions of hell.

At last, he could slate his thirst for mead and honey. The others nicknamed the insect, "demon bees", half-joking that they were breeding something that would slaughter them all.

Fath had fevered dreams full of reckoning and obscure reference. He could see and reach for something just beyond his sight and grasp, but never obtain. He knew the fight for Archcrystal would soon begin, its intricacies stretching towards their finality and his ambition burning with white hot certainty. The glory would be his and the rest be damned - even if the glory was fleeting he didn't care. They were either all damned or the only pious few below a world of damnation who were cursed to never witness the evidence of miracles that could peirce the underworld with order and industry. Such were the dwarves of Archcrystal now, he thought. Blessed crusaders of architectural marvel and thieves of holy design. They would take what only gods were meant for and make it theirs as the ghosts of their ancestors watched through translucent tombs, for at last Fath understood the meaning of Armok - the one God was themselves. They, as a whole, were the great God they had been waiting for that awoke in a sunlit hell. To design the world as they see it, grow tired of its novelty, and then abandon it to mediocrity or oblivion or both. They would not falter for only they could decide its fate, and design it's inspired and glorious structures fueled by a divinity without limit. But Fath knew he had to unite the dwarves under his holy banner and only then would he achieve the power that he sought: a puritan force of godly dwarves that started with Archcrystal and spread across the world to shape and control the immense design of things.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 01, 2017, 06:39:56 pm »

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Armok Gostzas wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 01, 2017, 07:18:06 pm »

Even given the nature of this Fortress, that last chapter escalated quickly :o  Also, I really hate being that guy, but you should really consider moving this to the 'Community Games & Stories' sub-forum.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 01, 2017, 08:17:43 pm »

Even given the nature of this Fortress, that last chapter escalated quickly :o  Also, I really hate being that guy, but you should really consider moving this to the 'Community Games & Stories' sub-forum.

Ha, you love being that guy. I looked at the community stories forum before I posted last year and I thought only succession forts went in there. Then I saw Bastion Gate here and thought this is where the single player stories went. I'll eventually just make a PDF of it and clean up the story bits to make it flow better and post that instead

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 01, 2017, 08:46:18 pm »

:o
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 01, 2017, 09:19:39 pm »

:o
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 01, 2017, 09:48:31 pm »

Ha, you love being that guy. I looked at the community stories forum before I posted last year and I thought only succession forts went in there. Then I saw Bastion Gate here and thought this is where the single player stories went. I'll eventually just make a PDF of it and clean up the story bits to make it flow better and post that instead
Well, the reason I put Bastiongate in here was that it was originally me asking how to put my fortress back together after an unretire. It turned into a story, but I never moved it.

ImKonyaku

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 02, 2017, 05:17:16 am »

I'm not sure if this have ever been mentioned.
But maybe you can allow them to produce quire etc. For the recent version. By copy pasting the raw files into the your save game's raw files.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 310 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #311 on: June 02, 2017, 08:01:33 am »

Yeah, but see, just copying the new raws wont work becasue the civ doesnt have the scholar, scribe, tavernkeeper etc proffesions assigned. Same as when you mod, u need a new world for new content.

BilboBaggy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 02, 2017, 08:35:46 pm »

I registered on the forum specifically for this thread. I was hoping you'd create a channel into the tunnel allowing the denizens to invade the overworld and show us your results.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 02, 2017, 09:43:06 pm »

Well, the reason I put Bastiongate in here was that it was originally me asking how to put my fortress back together after an unretire. It turned into a story, but I never moved it.

I'll still blame you for why it's here Also blametheflame sounds like a pretty catchy political hashtag.

I registered on the forum specifically for this thread. I was hoping you'd create a channel into the tunnel allowing the denizens to invade the overworld and show us your results.

Welcome aboard! Do you mean letting the demons or the dwarves into the overworld? The demons would probably be clouded turning into horrible wicked soot husk demons, but I'd still fear the dwarves more...

BilboBaggy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 03, 2017, 10:26:40 am »

The Demons of course. What is the world size you used?

Might be fun to let the demon invasion happen then send a dwarf hero to contain it. Would also be dope to see how this would go in adventure mode. As in you let the demon invasion of Archcrystal happen, then create a save for use in 1. retiring the fort and 2. using that world to start a new adventure or legends game.

I really want to see a demon invasion.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 56