Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62

Author Topic: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord  (Read 106945 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2016, 10:35:33 am »

I'm basing those suggestions off my time playing cRPG mod. While a lot of that stuff did apply to the real world in a smaller scenario it's not as effective. A lot of times, at least in that mod, any cavalry that dared try to run archers down just got headshot off their horses. As for shields, half the fun of the game, IMO, is the directional attack/block system, and when you have a one hander+shield your best attacks against anyone was the left-attack because it aims at the head, and the shield acts as an omni-directional block which throws out the directional block mechanic altogether. Sometimes I just wanna reach out and tear that dumb shield away from them or something. I think the only way to really deal with shielders was to have weapons that did bonuses to shields, and those weapons were typically worthless for anything but breaking shields. I suppose couch lancing does tons of damage to shields but it's not very reliable since the cavalry typically didn't last super long (and if they did it's because they're god tier wearing full plate and full plated horse).

M&B combat is still janky and not reaaaally authentic, but it's close enough to still be fun and at least a little believable. A lot of times it's either spin-to-win or people doing all sorts of weird twirly feint attacks that look ridiculous but are effective because they make it hard for the enemy to judge your attacks right.

E: Sprinting. They could add a stamina bar that only applies to sprinting. It would take a long time to 'recharge' so you'd get a good few seconds to charge in, but you wouldn't be able to just sprint all over the place. There'd also be a sort of acceleration period so it's not an instant janky movement.

Well if your comments were completely aimed at cRPG, then I totally agree.  I played that mod quite a bit, and the balance was pretty fucked up in many ways.  Archers, especially.  I was one of many who pushed with righteous conviction for archer nerfs on the forums.  I once started an archer character just to brag that I was able to get three kills on my very first round with a level 1 character as an archer, when with any other character type, it would be several levels before I'd be able to do much of anything.  And shield/one-hand would only be so dangerous, because those people would crank up a specific character build that made them invincible to lower levels.

But vanilla/single-player combat is hardly comparable to cRPG.  That's on the modders, not the game devs.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2016, 11:05:03 am »

On shields, I would like that the shields would also have directional blocking, but that blocking in bad direction would still protect you but at the cost of increased shield damage or, for heavy weapons, chance to strike the shield out of defenders grasp.

I actually really like this idea.  Maybe not knocking a shield away on a failed block, but increased damage to shield, sure.

Though that might really hurt chokepoint defense, where having a handful of people with strong shields shove at it should be an effective approach... but one where it's far too chaotic to bother with directional block.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2016, 11:20:51 am »

For something like that, in MP at least, it'd be cool to see something like double-handed shields used in conjunction with spearmen behind the first line. Not sure if AI could handle it though.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2016, 11:28:39 am »

To be pretty honest about blocking with shields, you wanted people to strike the edge of the shield rather than the face. The face isn't that thick, but from the edge to the center is about as thick as it got, and no weapon was going to break through that easily. Blunter weapons should have a bonus against shields, since blunt weapons don't get stuck in general. Hitting the face of a shield should be the fastest way to mess it up as well. Spears and arrows would end up on the more useless end of things against one. But yeah. It's about the general gist of it.

So if you wanted to translate this into M&B is basically a shield held right in front of you would be best against an opponent right in front of you, but if they're able to hit the shield face at a perpendicular with a cutting or blunt edge, it should deal more damage, especially compared to hitting the shield edge at a perpendicular.

I wouldn't mind if they didn't pursue something like that though. Seems a bit of a tall order and possibly a lot more work for what sounds to me like little benefit.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2016, 12:06:26 pm »

True, but from a gameplay perspective, the point would be to demand some effort of shield users beyond "hold shield up in general direction of danger".  The more on point they are with their blocking, the longer they get to keep their shield.  This would be more difficult to implement from the simulationist perspective of "well in reality they want the edge of their shield to absorb blows", which is why you went on to admit it would be a tall order.  It wouldn't be too difficult at all to integrate shield blocking with the same control scheme as weapon blocking, except the only penalty for failing to block in the right direction is a modification to the effectiveness of the block, rather than outright failure.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2016, 12:51:24 pm »

I thought you needed to aim the shield in whichever the way the sword comes? or atleast face, because when you swing a shield while sidestepping around an AI i've managed to get a hit in so they drop the shield. And Arrows hit the shields if they were on your back and weren't raised, as long as they hit the shields, No? I remember taking on two shields while lancing around for that reason.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2016, 01:24:45 pm »

As someone who primarily used polearms I had one issue that made fighting with them seem really strange. How can you sheathe a spear? Or a two-handed sword that has no scabbard, for that matter? Or a great axe? These should be your primary weapons, and if there's no way for you to sheathe them then you shouldn't be able to. Again, cRPG handled this fairly well, since pikes had to be dropped in order to draw your sword. Just a sort of thing to consider so people have to make a decision to retreat and keep their weapon or attack and have to give up their weapon, hoping they can come back for it later. What if there were weapon racks you could grab stuff from?

I thought you needed to aim the shield in whichever the way the sword comes? or atleast face, because when you swing a shield while sidestepping around an AI i've managed to get a hit in so they drop the shield. And Arrows hit the shields if they were on your back and weren't raised, as long as they hit the shields, No? I remember taking on two shields while lancing around for that reason.
If you increase your 'shield' skill it increases the size of the 'force field' around your shield. It can get to the point where you can block all incoming arrows from the front with a buckler about the size of your fist. Without the skill you can still be shot in the feet with a huscarl shield. You don't really have to face the direction the attack is coming from (but it helps slightly with lower shield skill), just the direction of the enemy who is doing said attack. If you're up close with someone and they swing but manage to inch their way to your side then the only way you'll block the attack is if they're swinging into your shield instead of around it, or your have a higher shield skill.

Shields will passively block projectiles that hit it, but AFAIK it doesn't get the 'force field' effect.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2016, 07:09:37 am »

GoT s06e09 has a nice spears vs swords moment. Also a nice "Here is why you have two lines or more with spears" moment.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2016, 09:17:17 pm »

So there is a new dev blog up, and while most of it is just talking about the siege gameplay they showed at E3 they had one very interesting thing to say.
Quote from: Taleworlds
During the assault, some of the soldiers seen are equipped with weapons and armour, not in-keeping with those of their faction. While it is possible, via a number of routes, for troops of any culture to end up in the services of another, what you actually saw here were the companions of the player and the defending lord. In Bannerlord, Lords now have their own companions, much like the player, augmenting their own abilities by employing the services of others. And naturally, these may include individuals from distant lands...

Now it seems lords can recruit special followers that act kinda like the companions for the player in the older games. I'm hoping this also means there are wandering adventurer types that are like player-NPCs, recruiting followers and doing their own thing as a player would.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2016, 04:42:20 am »

So there is a new dev blog up, and while most of it is just talking about the siege gameplay they showed at E3 they had one very interesting thing to say.
Quote from: Taleworlds
During the assault, some of the soldiers seen are equipped with weapons and armour, not in-keeping with those of their faction. While it is possible, via a number of routes, for troops of any culture to end up in the services of another, what you actually saw here were the companions of the player and the defending lord. In Bannerlord, Lords now have their own companions, much like the player, augmenting their own abilities by employing the services of others. And naturally, these may include individuals from distant lands...

Now it seems lords can recruit special followers that act kinda like the companions for the player in the older games. I'm hoping this also means there are wandering adventurer types that are like player-NPCs, recruiting followers and doing their own thing as a player would.
Between the possibility of this and the recruitment requiring income that lords may try to get via setting up crime or raising taxes, it reminds me a lot of the Custom Settlements mod for M&B 1, which had both and felt amazingly organic, even with how unfinished it was.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2016, 04:49:21 am »

I just hope that towns are more able to handle themselves.

It was just hopeless to ever try to keep them defended because bandits would just constantly spawn everywhere and you couldn't leave anyone to defend them.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 03, 2016, 12:18:57 pm »

I just hope that towns are more able to handle themselves.

It was just hopeless to ever try to keep them defended because bandits would just constantly spawn everywhere and you couldn't leave anyone to defend them.

Generic castles no longer exist and instead castles are now built in villages. Should fix that problem and make villages more valuable.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 03, 2016, 05:17:13 pm »

I'd really like an improvement to Warband's murder conga lines, because it's iritating that you and all your buddies will slash your swords through each other to reach me, as well as the mysterious shield dance called "hit it, raise your shield, hit it, raise your shield" until one of you is dead. I don't care about realism, but that jank is the opposite of fun.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2016, 06:33:07 pm »

Please tell me this is an impressive mod or a fan-made game. I'd expect a lot more, considering their opportune profits and available budget. Those faces are scary and it looks like a lot of recycled content.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2016, 07:09:34 pm »

I'unno, there's the new engine and a fair bit happening under the hood with simulation and such, which is mostly what Warband was lacking.

Face models are ??? but they weren't good in the first place anyway
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62