Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 73

Author Topic: Latin American Politics: Moralism  (Read 95243 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Boys wear Pink, Girls wear Blue.
« Reply #615 on: January 07, 2019, 05:30:33 pm »

Um, links to what you’re talking about? Just wondering as to the details LordBaal.

After looking at a bbc article talking about a top judge that defected, it mentions that the inauguration is the 10th, I’d guess you’re referring to that?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 05:58:52 pm by smjjames »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 07, 2019, 07:54:40 pm »

Yup, oposition controlled congress declared president Ripe illegitimate, so there is a real change that congress is going to be simply dissolved.
The special assembly was boycotted by the opposition, making the body that is supposed to rewrite the constitution nothing more than yes men and fellow partisans. Looks like all pretense of democracy is about to go through the window.

This whole "emergency assembly to review constitution" reminds of the french revolution. None of the "rights of men" stuff, of course, more of "reign of terror" stuff that follows right behind.
In a time before time, I had a name.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 07, 2019, 09:43:20 pm »

More or less that. Thanks for asking smjjames, you get to have all my nice stuff after all explodes.

And as said, pretty much that. The real congress got a new president (of the Congress) which stated that they won't recognise Masburro as anything but a usurper after the 10th. Oh and we had a practical devaluation of the 50% today, it's fucking horrible. People are going crazy over the prices of everything and well, food is scarce and overpriced.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 07, 2019, 09:44:34 pm »

Um, links to what you’re talking about? Just wondering as to the details LordBaal.

After looking at a bbc article talking about a top judge that defected, it mentions that the inauguration is the 10th, I’d guess you’re referring to that?

Maybe the Venezuelan Supreme Court Justice that denounced Maduro's re-election and then fled to the US?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 07, 2019, 09:51:10 pm »

So after the 10th more than half the planet will consider us without a executive power or representation. The rest of the planet are leeches sucking my country dry.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 07, 2019, 10:07:47 pm »

So after the 10th more than half the planet will consider us without a executive power or representation. The rest of the planet are leeches sucking my country dry.
Don't forget that the half not leeching off of your country is only doing what they are doing because they want to be the leeches instead. Lovely attitudes all around.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 07, 2019, 10:18:54 pm »

Is like a catch 22 actually. Either way we might be domed.

But seriously, a change is in dire need, and while it migth be true another countries have interests they might not be as nefarious and supporting a despotic dictatorship that has done nothing but pure evil against us.

Honestly I don't care who's in power, I don't want to be a slave or fight the Empire, I just want to be able to see the end of the month with an honest job and be able to provide my family with the basics of health, food, education and shelter without having to go to work with eyes over my shoulder wondering if this is the day I won't come back home because some fucking piece of shit liked my shoes enough to shoot me for them without even asking.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 08, 2019, 12:55:19 am »

Yup, oposition controlled congress declared president Ripe illegitimate, so there is a real change that congress is going to be simply dissolved.
The special assembly was boycotted by the opposition, making the body that is supposed to rewrite the constitution nothing more than yes men and fellow partisans. Looks like all pretense of democracy is about to go through the window.

This whole "emergency assembly to review constitution" reminds of the french revolution. None of the "rights of men" stuff, of course, more of "reign of terror" stuff that follows right behind.

More or less that. Thanks for asking smjjames, you get to have all my nice stuff after all explodes.

And as said, pretty much that. The real congress got a new president (of the Congress) which stated that they won't recognise Masburro as anything but a usurper after the 10th. Oh and we had a practical devaluation of the 50% today, it's fucking horrible. People are going crazy over the prices of everything and well, food is scarce and overpriced.

Inb4 Trump decides to declare war on and thus 'LIBERATE' Venezuela in an attempt to distract from eveything else bad happening to him. While the thought of declaring war in order to distract from bad things doesn't seem to have crossed his mind as far as I know, I wouldn't put it past him to try doing that.

I read a while back that Bolsonaro was looking into something about intervening in Venezuela and he and/or his sons apparently have contacts with some rebel faction or other in Venezuela. So, maybe Bolsonaro could convince Trump into joining in something. Wouldn't be suprised if Brazil gets left holding the bag at the end and has to deal with the aftermath since it wouldn't be our fault for a change.

Just to be clear though, I wouldn't support just going in, liberating, going rah rah rah, then leaving since that's the same mistake (if paraprased) that we made with Iraq and similarily with other places in the mideast. Besides, this is our own backyard (or, from another perspective, our stomping grounds) we are talking about.

I don't really see Venezuela falling prey to the same kind of factionalism that plagues places in the mideast. Political factionalism if things aren't reconciled, definetly.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 12:58:27 am by smjjames »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 08, 2019, 03:18:47 am »

I'm not even sure how declaring war during a shutdown would work. He'd certainly be making history!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 08, 2019, 03:25:45 am »

"Hey! Soldiers!  Where's your patriotism!?  Sure, we are totally NOT paying you-- AT ALL-- because I am not getting my way with the god-damned wall those filthy democrats are not willing to protect America, but I know YOU are!  So come on, Go risk your lives for absolutely no reimbursement at all!"

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 08, 2019, 06:37:34 am »

Umm... Have you ever seen miss Universe? Well, for every 10 communists you kill in Venezuela you get to take one Venezuelan woman back home????

Lots of girls here die for the gringos as they are seen as exotic and above all wealthy. Even the redneck soldier living on a trailer and off government assistance is making way more than the average of us, and if he has blue/green eyes, it's a sell.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 08, 2019, 07:58:05 am »

Brb, visiting Venezuela
Love, scriver~

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 08, 2019, 08:29:44 pm »

The United States is not going to do anything other than the common sanctions and the like.

Brazil is way more of a threat, since it has double the active personnel and some 2 million reserves. Honestly, a very reactionary government has been elected, so I wouldn't be surprised if Venezuela had major swings of power every time Brazil shifted in it's seat ever so slightly.

We all know and we all hope there nothing like this about to happen, it simply isn't how it works anymore. The army will soon pick a side and get going like it has always done.
In a time before time, I had a name.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 08, 2019, 09:25:57 pm »

The United States is not going to do anything other than the common sanctions and the like.

Brazil is way more of a threat, since it has double the active personnel and some 2 million reserves. Honestly, a very reactionary government has been elected, so I wouldn't be surprised if Venezuela had major swings of power every time Brazil shifted in it's seat ever so slightly.

I think you underestimate how easily Trump is swayed by strongmen, or at least how much he cowers to them. Not to mention that he is going to become desperate for distractions as the pressure on him builds.

We all know and we all hope there nothing like this about to happen, it simply isn't how it works anymore. The army will soon pick a side and get going like it has always done.

Wouldn't you rather break the cycle of military dictatorships that have happened in South America? You make it sound like a military dictatorship is inevitable, but it doesn't have to be.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 08, 2019, 09:30:25 pm »

"Hey! Soldiers!  Where's your patriotism!?  Sure, we are totally NOT paying you-- AT ALL-- because I am not getting my way with the god-damned wall those filthy democrats are not willing to protect America, but I know YOU are!  So come on, Go risk your lives for absolutely no reimbursement at all!"

Failing to pay soldiers? Well on the bright side we might get a second constitution out of it.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 73