Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we take mate off of the "List of Important People"?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 01, 2016, 07:55:06 pm

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43

Author Topic: Gloomdiamonds: The End of the Story (Finished)  (Read 53503 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: Gloomdiamonds: The Twilight of the Saga
« Reply #570 on: February 07, 2017, 09:59:55 am »

Journal of Ryukan

Me and Airith spent the last few months trying to keep up with Mr. Workfamous. His ideas were just splendid, but he was alright with doing things to get there that I didn't agree with. So, for the first week as Mr. Gig went around the fort looking everything over, I feel bad for him, his face grew more contorted and red with each passing travesty. I must admit, when walking through the fortress with him, I saw just what a clusterfuck this place had become.

After the first week, and a small tea break to calm his nerves, we set out assigning labors to EVERYONE. He then began to issue orders around. Almost all of them made sense, except for when he ordered the old "Cat Sanctuary" to be destroyed. I stopped him and tld him to try and not piss off any of the past overseers. We argued over the merits of cat statues for a while. In the end we settled on a compromise. We were gonna move the Masterwork statues up to the old Fruit tree area and turn it into an above ground temple to cats.

As Spring wore on we stopped digging and progress on everything and Gig used EVERYONE to get this fortress into a presentable shape. I followed him silently, my black robes silently whistling on the floor as we walked. I was his shadow, making sure he didn't piss too many people off. I must admit though, his skill at organization rivals that of NCommander.

It was towards the end of spring when the crown decided to move the throne here. How they managed to convince the council of Nobles to move the Crown to ANOTHER FREAKIN CONTINENT will remain a mystery to me. No matter how, arrived they did. Mr. Workfamous was panicking about where to put a palace, and how he didn't have the manpower or time to build a new one. Then, a dwarf stepped up to him and told him about the abandoned labor areas downstairs. We asked the dwarf to show us, and I must say, thee rooms where the right size and number for a palace. Mr. Workfamous began detailing a few dwarves to smooth out the new palace for the king.

With the crown now here, I decided it was time to name a Prime Minister. In Doomforest the Prime Minister was cosen by popular vote by the overseers. I will do the same here. But this time, I will submit my name for consideration as well. I began to draft the voting slips in my free time.

With that, I must go journal. I have matters to attend to and elections to run.

* * * VOTE FOR RYUKAN * * *
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
« Reply #571 on: February 07, 2017, 11:07:38 am »

I recall military packing being theorized to start dwarven dodge chain reactions in dwarven childcare thread. *amused*

Heh. Remember that idea, and that thread as a whole too. Work of... special genius. I don't know if the same could happen here, but I DO know that dwarves colliding with walls can result in broken bones and bad thoughts after sustaining injury. Plus, it's just..... creepy. (Creepy, because we AREN'T trying to science them right now. None of the test results can be confirmed. If that ain't creepy, don't know what is.)

Oho! You dealt with stockpiles! Permanently!

I must admit, it didn't occur to me to remove them and just leave stuff there.

Do I get XP for killing them?

Hope the statues used native gold or something instead of boring ordinary rock like gabbro.

Well, it is certainly great in a sense.

- I think the statues only make people happy who look at them up close. Still, good effort, might distract invaders :P

I actually considered that as a bonus XD. Also, thje statues are all ordinary rock, with a few marble ones thrown in for good measure, but the majority are masterwork anyways. And.. incomprehensible.

Quote from: TheImmortalRyukan
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA--[snip]

I'll add stuff in regarding this 'election' in the next segment.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:09:50 am by OAOGigmaster »
Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 07, 2017, 02:03:10 pm »

Imic the dwarf votes for Ryukan, since he seems a sensible chap.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 07, 2017, 04:31:24 pm »

:o now I KNOW shits gonna go down, Im8c endorses me

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 07, 2017, 05:37:54 pm »

"VOTE FOR SCOURGE, OR MAY THE STARCATS HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOULS"/color]
Scourge shouted as large booms of thunder happened despite their not being a single cloud in the sky for miles around and suddenly the other dwarves could hear a voice faint enough that some might even think it was their imaginations do it, We command you and (all of) the (former) overseer(s) would see a faint cat with stars in it's pelt, although it was too faint to be sure. Scourge then proceeded to make a giant banner with said words on it and hang it in the trade depot and another in the dining room

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 08, 2017, 04:14:20 am »

:o now I KNOW shits gonna go down, Im8c endorses me
Imic the dwarf, not Imic the... Thing. From Imic II T. Dwarf's perspective, Ryukan seems brilliant. Other Imic would never vote for hum an a hundered thousand years.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 09, 2017, 03:29:01 am »

Zothdra votes for all and any dwarves who run.  under false names, if need be.  Drazoth has told him to side with whomever wins.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 09, 2017, 10:38:27 am »

So, after consideration, i have decided to NOT destroy the fort my turn... so sign up now for turns.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 09, 2017, 05:25:17 pm »

Ah what the heck, I'll take another turn

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 10, 2017, 10:04:55 am »

As mentioned on my Discord server, I would normally be taking a turn today, but unfortunately my glasses broke and seem determined to stay that way. I'm going in for an eye exam on Monday to get a new prescription (my current glasses were pretty old) but until they get replaced, I can't play much of anything.

Rest assured, the moment I can see my scren without bringing my face less than a foot away, I'll be jumping back into Gloomdiamonds.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 12, 2017, 10:34:20 pm »

Heading in for that eye exam tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully we can get this prescription filled lickity split, and go back to OUR FULFILLING LIVES OF GAMING.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 13, 2017, 12:19:37 am »

Good luck. I know I've missed out on things a fair bit beforehand due lack of glasses as well, so to go days like this must be frustrating.

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 16, 2017, 08:19:48 am »

I CAN SEE AGAIN! Expect to see me streaming later today, starting some time in the afternoon? Need to see how much and how quickly I can get done before them. (Yes, this means we're going to have two-fer of turns for me, today and tomorrow!). As before, it'll be cast on my Twitch channel.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 17, 2017, 09:56:54 pm »

Stream is over! We're into Autumn now; don't think I'm going to have as much time as I hoped for some of my larger goals in my turn, but at least the fortress is alive and better organized! Expect write-up stuff on both turns tomorrow. (Not much happened overall.)
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 20, 2017, 01:05:19 pm »

(ARRGH NEVER ENOUGH TIME)

Turn/Lore Post

Summer Through Autumn, Year 1057, of Overseer Gigmaster Workfamous's reign

Life continued in Gloomdiamonds - itself a small surprise, considering the resignation of the previous pro-tem overseer - though not without its pitfalls. While Gigmaster 'Workfamous' continued writing entries in his journal, including mention of rhino taming, increasing stockpiles of drink, extending staircases, trade deals with men and dwarves and finishing work on the Disco Palace for the king, little of import or surprise could be found. It could be said that the gritty, day-to-day, fastidious magic of pounding the unrefined metal of Gloomdiamonds was taking place, but perhaps unlike others, it was not happening in great, cataclysmic events, but rather through a steady, dwarven work ethic and a care for detail. Mayhaps it was due to Workfamous's namesake, or perhaps Gloomdiamonds needed time to recover and collect itself before the next great catastrophe.

Indeed, in this period of relative calm, posters and flyers began flitting through the halls; now with the king in residence at Gloomdiamonds and its transormation into the mountainhome of the Occult Doom, additional postings in government were required, including the position of Prime Minister to the king. Chief among these was the pitch of Ryukan "The Immortal," a former overseer and a dwarf often in tow behind Gigmaster as he set about hammering Gloomdiamonds aright. Whisperings were exchanged of a consolidation of shadow government away from the current overseers eyes, while others cheered for Ryukan's candidacy; in any event, it wasn't long before the bloc behind Ryukan won the majority and voted him into power.

All of this was a distraction to Gigmaster Workfamous; beyond keeping them from killing his workers, and Gigmaster's reporting to the king (he was, after all, a crown agent and employed through the same as a 'fortress fixer') the maneuverings of the nobility and the hopeful held little interest to him. As work progressed through the dry months of the calendar, Gigmaster's main concern was establishing a reliable source of machine and thermal power for the fortress. It was little surprise that his attention was consumed by both, for the advent of magma supply would rely on machine power to pump it. In between talks with Ryukan and others, Gigmaster began to suspect that a dormant power lay deep beneath Gloomdiamonds. Perhaps the reason for the fortress's founding in such a swamp? It mattered little to him; what was important to him, was that he thought it possible to tap it with waterwheels - that greatest of dwarven machines - by setting up a battery of them in the deepest underground lake beneath the fortress. Even better, it would be positioned just above the great magma seas, making application of such power easy to manage.

In his office, Gigmaster began drawing engineering diagrams and building orders. He could only hope that, with Gloomdiamonds as of yet half-functioning, he could complete the endeavor before his time was up.

(Sorry for the text only - not much honestly happened between three different streams, and I wanted to get this update out).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:34:20 pm by OAOGigmaster »
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43