Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Author Topic: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release  (Read 45569 times)

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
Re: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release
« Reply #180 on: January 01, 2019, 02:11:55 pm »

How many algae terrariums do I need? I thought I had enough to turn off the oxygen diffuser, but some of the upper layers(the residences) are starting to suffocate.

One algae terrarium produces 40 g/s of oxygen, one duplicant requires 100 g/s (without Diver's Lungs, Deeper Diver's Lungs or Mouth Breather traits), so in theory you need 2.5 algae terrariums per duplicant. There's lots of other things that influence it however, for instance the terrariums produce polluted water, which usually isn't swept away immediately, so it offgasses into polluted oxygen which you can purify for increased production.

Ultimately however you will run out of algae either way, at which point most people (me included) build an electrolyzer setup and pump the resulting oxygen into the base, allowing for a relatively even spread of O2. I usually don't bother with algae terrariums and instead rush for electrolyzer, but if you wanna play around with them I recommend this video where Brothgar sciences them up a bit ;)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 02, 2019, 03:50:00 am »

Yeah, the trouble is that algae is a very finite resource, which won't reliably serve your population's oxygen needs longer than a few hundred cycles. Water on the other hand is a guaranteed infinitely renewable resource, and easily accessible in early game.

With a proper bathroom setup, for example, each duplicant produces a surplus of 6.7kg of polluted water per use. If you feed this through an electrolyzer after purification, this produces 5.95kg of oxygen. A duplicant consumes 60kg of oxygen per cycle, meaning you can supply a duplicant about 10% of their oxygen needs just from recycled toilet water.

If you're looking for a quick and cheap method of polluted oxygen production, you can pump polluted water into a liquid reservoir and deconstruct it afterwards, creating 5t of bottled polluted water which will off-gas 0.1% of the mass, which is a ridiculous 5kg of polluted oxygen per tick. A few deodorizers and you'll be set for a good while even without an electrolyzer running.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 02, 2019, 12:02:13 pm »

I change to an all-fried-mushroom diet as soon as I can, slime is plentiful, and I can resupply the farm tiles from below, so that no slimelung enters my base.

Also, don't purify carbon dioxide (except maybe a bit in the beginning if it's getting out of control), when possible just pump the excess to the bottom where you can feed it to the wossname critters that poop oil. So terrariums are mostly a waste of algae and clean water.

And you want some dioxide trapped at the bottom of your base so you can keep your food fresh without refrigeration.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 02, 2019, 06:47:30 pm »

Although once you're more advanced, it's better to store your food and sundry supplies in chlorine instead. It'll kill slimelung in about one cycle if you have your storage containers in chlorine.

Personally, I usually never bother with worrying about slimelung. As soon as you start mining the slime, just dump rows of deodorizers five tiles apart and they'll mop up the polluted oxygen pronto. So long as your duplicants aren't breathing polluted oxygen with slimelung germs in it, their natural immunity will take care of the rest. Just ensure you build a few sinks near the airlocks for safety.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 03, 2019, 06:47:37 pm »

Third attempt is going much better than the last two. I've got a SPOM running - using the sieve->toilets->cistern->sieve loop to fuel an electrolyzer that in turn fuels a hydrogen power generator that in turn powers the electrolyzer and air pumps that supplies oxygen to the base and hydrogen to the generator. I don't seem to be losing any water from the wastewater cistern, and I've still got a lot of polluted water leftover from the algae terrariums that originally supplied oxygen. It's kinda bad, that water, since it's blowing a lot of polluted oxygen into the air, but it's locked down with some deodorizers.

Another problem is that I'm seeing some food poisoning germs floating around the oxygen output vent, but never more than a couple hundred, and almost never rises above the floor the SPOM is on. Also waiting on the oxygen to actually rise up to the residential area.

EDIT: Never mind about that part, I think I really screwed up there. On the plus side there is both a cool steam geyser and a chlorine geyser in very close reach to my base.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 07:12:54 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 03, 2019, 07:49:03 pm »

Question: is it just me or does the printer present you with ever worsening duplicants over time?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 03, 2019, 10:59:20 pm »

If you're like me, you're best off saving before you click the printer, as the selection resets each time you reload the save. You can keep shuffling the selection of the three dupes until you get one that suits your preferences. Diver's Lungs and Small Bladder are my picks for best traits.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2019, 05:51:52 pm »

I prefer gastrophobia and squeamish for negative traits, as long as these aren't my primary cooks/"doctors".

Loud sleeper is great once you get plastic beds because duplicants using them simply will never sleep close enough to wake each other up (but can be annoying for the player to watch/hear). You can also just place regular cots leaving two empty squares between them, which you can fill with decorations.

Since jobs play a big role with morale, this encourages you to make every duplicant get every job possible before "leveling up" to the next tier. This is great for skills like Athletics and Strength, and raising carry weight. I don't make everyone an artist or a cook tho. But everyone cycles thru the rest of the jobs, including scientist, farmer, engineer...

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2019, 05:53:50 pm »

I'm not currently playing this, but I hadn't even thought of cycling the little dudes through multiple profession (unless aiming to multiclass). Huh, making everyone a supply worker at some point is actually a great idea.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2019, 06:03:56 pm »

PTW
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 04, 2019, 06:09:51 pm »

I'm not currently playing this, but I hadn't even thought of cycling the little dudes through multiple profession (unless aiming to multiclass). Huh, making everyone a supply worker at some point is actually a great idea.

Right now all my 6 duplicants are up to courier and can carry something like 1600kg of stuff. And they're little bullets even in exosuits, and don't have the Exosuit Engineer trait yet (that removes the speed penalty).
There's no penalty for multiclassing. Also any skill gains from jobs / traits don't count toward the learning limit of 20.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 04, 2019, 06:17:52 pm »

The only limit to job multi-classing is Researcher - there's a finite amount of research in the game to perform, and no other way to level the job or the Learning stat. There's also the fact that a duplicant will permanently have the morale requirements of the highest level job they've mastered. It wasn't until my third attempt that learned that mastering a job also makes its skill increases permanent.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 04, 2019, 06:33:29 pm »

Job mastery goes up with time tho, not just by actually doing the job.

EDIT: Also that's the reason in favor of multiclassing: to squeeze all the goodies from a tier before actually moving up to the next tier and all the problems that causes.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 06:43:21 pm by Sergius »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2019, 07:47:06 pm »

I usually start by dumping one dupe in apprentice miner, one dupe in research assistant, one dupe in sous chef, and one dupe in art student, then everyone else in gopher once I have access to jobs. I swap my apprentice miner and research assistant when they master their jobs, and the sous chef and art student get swapped into research assistant. This, along with priority orders for individual dupes, ensures a smooth running base.

Once I've got my initial gopher training done, everyone there gets trained in research assistant, since the +2 Learning it grants makes them learn other jobs faster. I prioritize gopher and groundskeeper training for anyone who hasn't got it yet to get them hauling more stuff each load.

By about 4 training cycles, everyone should be around the same list of jobs mastered, and once I'm ready to move to tier 3 jobs to start abyssalite mining I'll have a great hall and likely have graduated to mushroom farms, meaning morale isn't an issue anymore.

Right now I'm finishing up my mega-project to build a fully enclosed system using my natural gas geyser to function as a heat deletion system, power generator, oxygen generator, and water purification system all in one. I've got the clean and polluted water units finished, the natural gas cooling loop done, the aquatuner cooling loop finished for chilling the generator and battery rooms, and a partial system built for my oxygen generation and cooling. Still fiddling with input and output for the water loops, the filtration system and the hydrogen filtration.

I want to get my hydrogen generators to top off my batteries when the natural gas system runs out of fuel, but I'm having difficulty with the automation logic, which I'm happy to admit is one of my weakest design areas. I really wish liquid and gas reservoirs had automation outputs like batteries, that'd make things so much easier.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 04, 2019, 10:23:18 pm »

I want to get my hydrogen generators to top off my batteries when the natural gas system runs out of fuel, but I'm having difficulty with the automation logic, which I'm happy to admit is one of my weakest design areas. I really wish liquid and gas reservoirs had automation outputs like batteries, that'd make things so much easier.

https://imgur.com/a/0G82y2e

I've set up a quick thing for you, using the petroleum generator instead of nat gas for the main power production and coal power as a backup (because I was too lazy to read your post again while ingame, sorry  :-\ ),but I'm sure you know how to swap those things out so it fits your needs. Basically the reservoirs are set up in a way that they fill up from right to left and empty from left to right (because a pipe that's already filled can't be filled by subsequent reservoirs etc). The petgen is set up like you'd normally control a generator with a smart battery. The coalgen gets started alongside the petgen once it is down to it's last reservoir, this is triggered by the output line of the second-to-last reservoir becoming empty (when the liquid pipe element sensor doesn't detect petroleum in the pipe, hence the NOT gate). The logic basically reads like "start petgen when battery is empty, start coalgen when petgen gets started AND there is NOT any petroleum in the pipe".

EDIT: of course you can remove that last liquid reservoir if you want to use up all your petroleum (or natgas in your case) before triggering the backup, but this lets you keep a full reservoir in case of emergencies...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:26:26 pm by EvilTwin »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20