Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377070 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #675 on: April 18, 2017, 06:38:45 pm »

"light forger" likes crystal magic...
lasers?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 18, 2017, 08:56:49 pm »

Sorry about the wait, guys.

The hold up is the fact that the combat results don't seem to be reflecting the state of research between both nations.  It's been frustrating me for a while now - due to the way advantages and counters are handled, I'm having trouble making the combat engine behave in a way that makes sense.

For example, a while back you guys should have been making progress in the jungle while Moskurg wasn't producing anything new.  You produced newer fireballs and your anti-magic pendants, which SHOULD have given you enough advantage to make the battles more than a stalemate.  That didn't happen, since combat results are calculated from specific unit bonuses that don't quite take advantage of the nuances in a certain scenario.  I love you guys, but this turn Moskurg just blew through you - and since I have knowledge of both sides capabilities I can say objectively that that should not be happening.

In all honesty, I'm tempted to abandon Iituem's python file altogether and move to the system that Sensei uses - simply determining how both sides are doing from a practical standpoint, figuring out how a new piece of technology would affect the battlefield, and progressing from there to subjectively determine which side gains/loses ground in an area based on what would be effective in what area.  This would mean changing the system mid-way through the game, though, and I'm not sure that's fair to either side.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 11:31:46 pm by evictedSaint »

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 18, 2017, 09:17:57 pm »

"light forger" likes crystal magic...
lasers?
Nah more like dark souls crystal magic, can't support the filthy Moskurg miracle users!

Sorry about the wait, guys.

The hold up is the fact that the combat results don't seem to be reflecting the state of research between both nations.  It's been frustrating me for a while now - due to the way advantages and counters are handled, I'm having trouble making the combat engine behave in a way that makes sense.

For example, a while back you guys should have been making progress in the jungle while Moskurg wasn't producing anything new.  You produced newer fireballs and your anti-magic pendants, which SHOULD have given you enough advantage to make the battles more than a stalemate.  That didn't happen, since combat results are calculated from specific unit bonuses that don't quite take advantage of the nuances in a certain scenario.  I love you guys, but this turn Moskurg just blew through you guys - and since I have knowledge of both sides capabilities I can say objectively that that should not be happening.

In all honesty, I'm tempted to abandon Iituem's python file altogether and move to the system that Sensei uses - simply determining how both sides are doing from a practical standpoint, figuring out how a new piece of technology would affect the battlefield, and progressing from there to subjectively determine which side gains/loses ground in an area based on what would be effective in what area.  This would mean changing the system mid-way through the game, though, and I'm not sure that's fair to either side.
I would just say go ahead since after all how useful something is based off of your own biases so it's not like your adding them into a system. Ultimately a huge part of the game is decided by how you perceive the difference in effect of rolls on what the design does. Even with an "impartial" system the game still had the "salt moment" so it's not like you even won there. So I support the move, if the other side is ok with it of course.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: April 18, 2017, 10:52:49 pm »

Yeah nothing is perfect. Even impartial systems have the lulz troll moment for one side. In time. This time it's us. Though to me it should not be a complete massacre concerning the jungle as we put "everything" in for there. Just what freaking advantage does the enemy have again?!

: Going to writing board for designs.:

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 18, 2017, 10:56:52 pm »

Moskurg returns the favor with arrows of their own, pelting our men.
Why are Moskurg arrows even a factor? Shields stopped being used because full plate made them obsolete for those who used it, and ALL our troops wear full plate. Their arrows should do diddly squat against us, especially since they don't have the power or AP capability of longbows or crossbows.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 18, 2017, 11:00:48 pm »

To be perfectly honest?  I'm not sure.  There's about thirty or forty different units spread across both sides that provide multiple bonuses to differing phases of combat and counter support against enemy units.

This is what your standard officer looks like.  Keep in mind, this is one unit out of forty that I have to parse through when I'm trying to figure out stuff like "why does giving Arstotzka cheap archers cause them to get their shit wrecked".

Code: [Select]
A.add_unit('officers')
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'infantry', 2)
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'defence', 1)
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'counter support skirmish', 2)###antimagic
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'skirmish', 'support')###antimagic
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'support', 'ranged')
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'skirmish', 'primary')
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'melee', 'primary')
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'rout', 'primary')
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'bodyguard', 1)  ###Anti-Magic gem charms.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 18, 2017, 11:25:53 pm »

You might want to switch. Because something might just be wrong with the code since it's basically completely untested. and besides you're probably less biased than Python, since we all know snakes like that are Moskurgers.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 18, 2017, 11:32:53 pm »

Alright then - I'll pitch the change to Moskurg, and if they're up for it that's how we'll do things.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 19, 2017, 12:21:41 am »

I just noticed your avatar text. There have been some named figures in the game, aside from just the major battle-deciding wizards even! If you're, you know, in-the-mood... You've certainly earns a few indiscriminate assassinations and we can't say you didn't have it printed in writing and clearly visible...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 19, 2017, 03:18:31 am »

Well, if the GM disagrees with the results of the script, I suppose it is time to either fix or scrap the script.
This is the first time it is  used anyway, unexpected results are expected.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 19, 2017, 04:13:16 am »

To be perfectly honest?  I'm not sure.  There's about thirty or forty different units spread across both sides that provide multiple bonuses to differing phases of combat and counter support against enemy units.

This is what your standard officer looks like.  Keep in mind, this is one unit out of forty that I have to parse through when I'm trying to figure out stuff like "why does giving Arstotzka cheap archers cause them to get their shit wrecked".

Code: [Select]
A.add_unit('officers')
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'infantry', 2)
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'defence', 1)
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'counter support skirmish', 2)###antimagic
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'skirmish', 'support')###antimagic
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'support', 'ranged')
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'skirmish', 'primary')
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'melee', 'primary')
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'rout', 'primary')
A.add_unit_stat('officers', 'bodyguard', 1)  ###Anti-Magic gem charms.
My advice is get rid of all these things. Make it narrative focused and add dice rolls to represent how things generally go, but none of this in-depth separate unit mechanics and such. Our plate armour should make our troops nigh invincible against their spears, sabers, and pathetic recurve bows.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 19, 2017, 04:15:27 am »

If you can't get the system to do what you want it to do, do away with the system. It's not like we can even tell the difference, we have no idea whag modifiers or rolls are made.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 19, 2017, 10:45:19 pm »

Combat for 922

Magic has taken off. 

Our men are spending weeks worth of wages on paper cards, which then they compile into decks of many paper cards.  They then put these pieces of paper down one-by-one in games that last seemingly forever, then scream with joy or despair when the victor is determined.  It's silly and ridiculous, but it keeps them out of trouble.  The medics stationed in the area report fewer cases of sexually transmitted diseases occurring among our troops, likely due to the decreased amount of sex they've been having.

Aside from these fictitious "card battles", no combat occurs in the mountains.

No battles occur in the mountains.

The only battle that occurs in the border between the plains and the tangia is an impromtu snowball fight between two squads of Arstotzkan troops.  There are no casualties, thankfully.

No battles occur in the plains.

Battle in the desert has not been going in our favor, and the theatre commander withdraws into the mountains.  We'll return some day, but not today.  Let those cowardly Moskurgs hide in their sands.

No battles occur in the desert.

Almost as if the war had been waiting for an excuse to intensify, the jungle is painted red with blood this year.

Moskurg skirmishers are stymied as they attempt to lull guards to sleep.  Our men are happy to note that their attempts fail every time, and the high-pitch hum the anti-magic charms produce alert our troops of imminent attack.  We are able to mobilize quickly in response.  Ambushes turn into full-fledged melees which Moskurg then lose with their smaller skirmishing force.  The battles are still costly, but we come out ahead.  Their men are decked out with padded armor and small bucklers - even their calvary!  Without the advantage of surprise or adequate protection, our longbowmen slaughter their troops easily.  Officers aren't immune either; their scalemail is decent at turning a blow from an axe or a sword, but an ash arrow cast from a four foot long bow punches right through it.  The jungle provides some cover and favor their compound bows over our longbows, but they simply don't have any way of successfully ambushing us any more.

Our ambushes don't go much better, though.  The Tower of Frost keeps the territory temperate, which our cold-acclimated men are thankful for.  Comfort doesn't help, though, even if it does make wearing heavy plate bearable.  They can easily our men coming during ambushes.  Our fog is too dense to blow away, but by its very nature informs them of an incoming attack.  Furthermore, the clanking of our armor tips them off if we try to bring heavy troops in to fight.  Their arrows can't penetrate except at point-blank, but with mass volleys coming down on our heads it's not hard for a few to find their way into gaps and eyeslits.  Our heavy calvary ends up doing the majority of the skirmishes.  Our charges are devastating when they hit, smashing into their lightly-armored (or not-at-all armored) men with our crystal lances.  We have trouble doing much damage with the thick mud and dense foliage hampering our heavy shire horses, but we come out slightly ahead.  As per orders, our Elite Anti-Mage forces attempt to capture an enemy mage.  Equipped with anti-magic charms, they ride in in the middle of the night and drag him away screaming.  As they disappear into the jungle, through the dark and the rain, a single, massive, powerful bolt of lightning comes down with a glow that turns the world to day for a brief second.  Apparently, the apprentice manages to squirm and gain a few feet of distance from our men, putting him just out of range of the charms.  The lightning bolt that he called down upon himself was bright, brilliant, and bigger than anything we'd ever seen before.  The apprentice- known to the Moskurgs as Brave Maealij Albarq - was posthumous named a Master Wizard by their mages and immortalized for his sacrifice. Two dice rolls at disadvantage: [1!, 3].  Moskurg gains a Martyr.

The battles during the day begin to grow uglier.  Rain is non-stop, and lightning touches down every few seconds striking trees and steel-clad soldiers alike.  Likewise, fireballs stream through the foliage indiscriminately.  Fires claw at tree trunks only to be put out within seconds by the downpour.  Where the fireballs do hit their men scream and die horrible, agonizing deaths.  Arstotzkan soldiers are braver and do not scream when lightning strikes - likely because they are instantaneously cooked inside their welded-shut armor coffins.  Their fellow soldiers get incredibly upset by this, bemoaning about 'realism' and 'faraday cages'.  Moskurgs just laugh in their filthy gutter language, and our men vow revenge against those who would so blatantly flout reality.

With their troops lightly armored and massed, our theatre commander decides to start off with a sudden, powerful charge from our heavy calvary.  They can't maintain formation in the dense undergrowth, but there's enough of them it doesn't matter.  Gleaming lances of magic crystal are clutched in the hands of each horseman, but just before they slam into the enemy troops they all vanish into a puff of smoke.  It's a shock to the horsemen as their weapons disappear from their grasp, leaving them unarmed in the midst of enemy spearmen.  It's not even close - only one in ten make it back to our lines.  Our men are dead silent as our wounded and decimated calvary are shuffled off the field.  That battle went poorly, but now we know they have some new brand of magic that dispels our crystal weapons.

Without our heavy calvary, we fall back to ranged combat and arrows begin to pelt both sides, making up the majority of the combat done by non-magical troops.  Our arrows skewer their unarmored troops, and their arrows tend to clatter harmlessly off our rusted steel plate.  Frustratingly, however, their arrows have a habit of finding their way through gaps and eyeslits with uncanny frequency.  It doesn't kill as many as it would unarmored troops, thankfully, but it's still annoying.  However, once our foot soldiers join with theirs it's no contest.  Our armored axemen hack through padded armor easily, but it takes two or three Moskurgs to bring down a single Arstotzkan.  Once again, our commanders are met with the same fate as our horsemen - the gleaming crystal axes, once the mark of their leadership, are returned to non-existence once in range of their battle lines.  Our commanders become easy prey, and without leadership our men eventually turn and flee back north.  Moskurg takes many prisoners, but unlike before they aren't released to us.  They don't even ordain to tell us what they've done with our men - unease settles into the stomachs of our troops and imaginations run wild.  With some relief, however, our crystal axes remain firm in our hands when Moskurg presses north.  Their troops, while more plentiful, are utterly inferior to Arstotzkan armored troopers.  Our fireballs blast through their men easily, and giant walls of fire section off entire areas of combat.  It's still a tough battle - we lost many from our earlier disastrous assault.  The battle is fairly even - Moskurg is too cowardly to use their lightning during combat, and it seems like we're about to turn the tied...until their calvary successfully flanks us.  Without our own heavy calvary to turn the tide, we're left at a disadvantage.  Lightly armored and armed with shitty lances, they turn the battle just barely in their favor, and though they're forced to eventually pull back We lose more men than they do. 

Spoiler: Wizard Battle (click to show/hide)

We don't lose ground, at least.  Both sides lost a lot of men - both nations have almost their entire army centered in this territory.  We hold on, but another battle like that and we are pushed out of the jungle.

Our theatre commander is enraged.  The anti-magic charms we've developed have limited range and prevent the enemy from casting on them, but that doesn't do anything against lightning called down from the sky.  The only spell they seem to have that targets our men is their sleep spell, and while it helps during the night it isn't doing enough.  If we could have it keep their arrows from going through eyeslits or stop them from casting their weather magic altogether, then it'd at least be useful for full combat.  But - and more pressingly - he's infuriated that the crystal lances we've outfitted our calvary with go up in smoke when charging the enemy lines.  Thank God the entire army wasn't outfitted with those things, or we'd be building barricades on our homelands next year.  We'll switch our officers and our calvary to conventional weapons until the problem is fixed, but he doesn't place much faith in you.  He also gripes about the Tower of Frost - while it does make wearing full plate armor bearable in the normally hot jungle, it isn't the "Dooms Day" weapon he was lead to believe.  He also points out that we've never had a skirmish we can point to as a "complete success" and the lack thereof is hurting our chances of pushing Moskurg from the jungle.

Neither side gains ground in the jungle.

Both sides seem evenly matched in the western sea.  Arstotzkan ships are large, sturdy, and slow.  Moskurg ships are fast, light, and fragile.  Their wind magic helps them move quickly here, scurrying around and flanking our ships when they can.  Thankfully, their storms don't hassle us too badly since storms cause the entire sea to roil regardless of they make it rain.  We are too slow to catch them, though we do spout fireballs out of the fog whenever they get too close.  Without a definite advantage for either side, neither gains victory.  Battles tend to be both sides standing a distance away, pelting one another with arrows and fireballs before retreating back to port.  Once again, neither side gains ground here.

The theatre commander urges you to develop some way to speed our ships along - or even develop a lighter skirmisher that can support our heavy troop transporters.  He also waves his hands wildly as he describes a giant fireball spell so big that no Moskurg could ever hope to dodge it.  He demands you develop something of that nature to kill those cowardly Moskurg sailors before they can flee.

Neither side makes coastal gains in the Western Sea.

It is 923, the Design Phase.

Spoiler: State of Forenia, 923 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arstotzkan Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arstotzkan Elite Units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arstotzkan Spells (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 20, 2017, 12:02:35 am »

So, we're back to being demolished. I at least hoped that with the system out of the way, we'd get some respite, but no.

Anyway, how is the relative status of armed forces?

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 20, 2017, 12:09:33 am »

Just random ideas.

Calculation Crystal: In conjuring wave length energy we have come to construct a artificial mind. With a steel body frame the energy ball Mind in turn can be a magic automation of mad war. ( Makes War Jacks.)

Whale Troops: For navy. Splice voltuneers with whales so as the cowards focus on dodging our boats, these guys swim under or board from side to rip them a new one.

Arsenal Runes:Series of runes that when used acted as guns. Acid, owlet bombs, darts, shards/shrapnel, that sort of thing.

Artificial Life: Instead of summoning artificial crystal beings how about rapid mutating loyal life forms that with time evolve to tear off Moskugian faces?

Swarm Ball: A fire ball of extreme mass, that breaks apart into a salvo to carpet bomb targeted zones.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 301