Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)  (Read 27476 times)

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2017, 05:51:35 pm »

who's turn is it?  the queue on the first post is hella out of date.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2017, 07:30:47 pm »

It should be Derpy Dev for now. If he has no time to do the turn and agrees to pass, then I think you should grab the turn, as the order implies... Just to keep the fort going.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2017, 09:24:35 pm »

It should be Derpy Dev for now. If he has no time to do the turn and agrees to pass, then I think you should grab the turn, as the order implies... Just to keep the fort going.

Wait, my turn? I thought it was still Hun's turn. I thought the Puppyguard thing didn't count because I broke the turn order.

Really confused.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:15:00 pm by Derpy Dev »

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2017, 09:59:13 pm »

TAKE THE GOD DAMN SAVE

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2017, 07:43:33 am »

Nah, I'm fine to wait for my turn by the order stated in the list, so please proceed.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2017, 04:13:29 pm »

TAKE THE GOD DAMN SAVE

hahahaha

In other news, I'm skipping my turn because my life is falling apart and I don't know what to do or how to feel emotions anymore, so right back at you Zazq. It is your turn.

EDIT: In hindsight, the phrase "my life is falling apart" is pretty inaccurate to my current situation and concerning, so let me describe it more realistically: I am falling apart. A lot of things have happened that have left me confused and worried for the future. But the truly bad thing is that it is taking more and more to get me to laugh. Things that used to always entertain me, such as Dwarf Fortress or anime, has only been making me say, "eh." I have been trying or entertaining the possibility of doing a lot of crazy things here lately in a desperate attempt to be entertained, but I have decided that I just need to sit down and think. And that is what I will do for the time being.

So in summary, everything is fine, you don't need to worry, and it is Zazq's turn.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 09:55:42 pm by Derpy Dev »

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2017, 12:24:52 pm »

life advice from strangers on the internet:  everyone out there is always on the brink of being overwhelmed by stress and depression, that's just how life is.  The way to get back on your feet is to push back from the brink just a tiny bit.  clean the house, do the dishes, shower shave and brush, send a little money to all the bill collectors.  do things that will prevent you from having to worry about that particular thing for a while.  This advice assumes you are like 25 years old or something.  if you're a highschool student use this advice instead:

YOU LIVE WITH YOUR PARENTS AND THEY PAY FOR YOUR FOOD AND YOU DON'T NEED A JOB AND YOU HERE COMPLAINING ABOUT STRESS AND SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU GOD DAMN ENTITLED SWAGYOLO!

i hope this has been a valuable lesson on taking advice from strangers.  I now return you to your regularly scheduled dwarfing.

-=-

Preembark: zazq
Turn 01: Derpy Dev
Turn 02: zazq
Turn 03: hun
Turn 04: Puppyguard
Turn 05: ???

Derp is skipping, which means it is indeed my turn.  here we go!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:29:59 pm by zazq »

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2017, 02:32:26 pm »

Keshanfamthut, Flamehorses, year 54.

No no this can’t be right.  I remember reading in the ancient scrolls of wisdom about something; some way to make paper without mechanisms.  IF ONLY I COULD REMEMBER!  This would be so much easier if I had something to write on.  Sigh. 

And a grubby dwarf just came and banged on the door of my empty library.  Says the gods have re-appointed me as overseer again.  Seems they haven't had enough of torturing me yet. I haven’t ventured far from my beloved library these past 2 years; I wonder what the fortress is like…

Eh, this place looks much as I remember it.  The main hall is still crap, but we now have a huge furniture stockpile and a crappy temple!  That’s something at least.  The ancient scrolls have provided for us a path from caravan to happy dwarves; a divine checklist of and flowchart of the gods.  Scant progress has been made on this front these past 2 years.  This must be the reason why I have been dragged out of my wonderful library.  We need to get this place back on track.

Spring 54 “Histories of Greed and Dynamism”
I shall begin with this strange main hall that seems to have a tavern, food stores and random workshops in it.  Let us get that organized shall we?  But not before our yearly undead siege i guess…

We got the drop on them this year and killed some necromancers.  However, the military is cave adapted, which is no good.  Add barracks skylights to the list of things this place needs…  We killed Minran Ochrepride, the armadillo man necromancer and Sas Parchedbeloved, human necromancer.  One of our military recruits got his teeth knocked out, and we don’t seem to have a hospital.  ADD IT TO THE LIST.

The siege tag instantly vanished!  WE GONNA GET CARAVANS!  An elf caravan arrived almost immediately.  I ordered their goods seized and then slaughtered the traders.  The barracks has been moved to right next to the entry hallway on the top layer, and a skylight bridge installed over it.  No more vomiting hammerdwarves.  Also it seems like our mason has been tasked to make an endless amount of microcline blocks.  I put him to work on doors and tables instead.

AT LAST!  The library has a book!  One of those dead necromancers had it on them.  It’s called Unknown Bereavement.  It has been placed in a position of honor in the library.

The Ettin Defiyi Anderidethe has come!

The military has been dispatched! (minus bigmchugelarge)
The ettin took a silver war hammer to the skull.  No damage on the military.  SUCCESS!

It is now summer.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2017, 03:36:54 pm »

Excellent work so far Zazq!
I may be the one who put the mason to make the endless supply of microcline blocks...
I approve of the elf killing.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2017, 03:51:17 pm »

This looks promising. I look forward to seeing what all happens! I might even be interested for a turn sometime, work permitting! =)
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2017, 04:05:29 pm »

i've never gotten a necromancer book before.  is it a terrible idea to let dwarves read it?  does it instantly grant necromancer powers?  The description says it concerns the secrets of life and death, and is clearly organized with passable prose.  The wiki says that you must be a Novice Reader in order to use it.  Dwarf Therapist doesn't list Reader as a searchable skill, so i'm not sure how to tell if anyone can read.

NOPE ITS TOO LATE.  we already have at least 10 necromancer dwarves.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:15:54 pm by zazq »

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2017, 04:33:10 pm »

They must be purged! throw the book in lava a pit to be sealed away!
Then execute the dwarves necromancers by putting them in a suicide squad without armour!
Forbid the book first, we do not want this... disease... spreading.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:36:50 pm by Puppyguard »

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2017, 05:12:28 pm »

Keshanfamthut, Flamehorses, year 54.

No no this can’t be right.  I remember reading in the ancient scrolls of wisdom about something; some way to make paper without mechanisms.  IF ONLY I COULD REMEMBER!  This would be so much easier if I had something to write on.  Sigh. 

And a grubby dwarf just came and banged on the door of my empty library.  Says the gods have re-appointed me as overseer again.  Seems they haven't had enough of torturing me yet. I haven’t ventured far from my beloved library these past 2 years; I wonder what the fortress is like…

Eh, this place looks much as I remember it.  The main hall is still crap, but we now have a huge furniture stockpile and a crappy temple!  That’s something at least.  The ancient scrolls have provided for us a path from caravan to happy dwarves; a divine checklist of and flowchart of the gods.  Scant progress has been made on this front these past 2 years.  This must be the reason why I have been dragged out of my wonderful library.  We need to get this place back on track.

Spring 54 “Histories of Greed and Dynamism”
I shall begin with this strange main hall that seems to have a tavern, food stores and random workshops in it.  Let us get that organized shall we?  But not before our yearly undead siege i guess…

We got the drop on them this year and killed some necromancers.  However, the military is cave adapted, which is no good.  Add barracks skylights to the list of things this place needs…  We killed Minran Ochrepride, the armadillo man necromancer and Sas Parchedbeloved, human necromancer.  One of our military recruits got his teeth knocked out, and we don’t seem to have a hospital.  ADD IT TO THE LIST.

The siege tag instantly vanished!  WE GONNA GET CARAVANS!  An elf caravan arrived almost immediately.  I ordered their goods seized and then slaughtered the traders.  The barracks has been moved to right next to the entry hallway on the top layer, and a skylight bridge installed over it.  No more vomiting hammerdwarves.  Also it seems like our mason has been tasked to make an endless amount of microcline blocks.  I put him to work on doors and tables instead.

AT LAST!  The library has a book!  One of those dead necromancers had it on them.  It’s called Unknown Bereavement.  It has been placed in a position of honor in the library.

The Ettin Defiyi Anderidethe has come!

The military has been dispatched! (minus bigmchugelarge)
The ettin took a silver war hammer to the skull.  No damage on the military.  SUCCESS!

It is now summer.

To make paper, hide + milk of lime.
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2017, 06:51:53 pm »

Summer 54 “Histories of Avarice and Industry”

I’m focusing on layer -12 for most of the new rooms that need digging.  I’m working on a proper tavern, rental rooms for said tavern, low nobility housing and a hospital.  Also properly organized food and drink storage.

A human caravan arrived, and i purchased the entire thing, mostly with gold goblets.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A proper tavern has been set up with gold statues by the doors.  The stockpile rings in the center don’t get in the way of dancing, and consist of outer: goblets, middle: prepared meals, inner: drink.

Dedicated stockpiles for food, drink and empty barrels are just to the NW of the tavern.  Just to the south is a DerpyDev(™) Bedroom area owned by the tavern.  Next to that is a traction bench free hospital.

Autumn 54 “Histories of Avarice and Enterprise”

Apparently we were keeping our metal bars within the smelters, and they have now become so cluttered its impossible to make anything in them.  I’ve dug out a nearby bar stockpile.

The forgotten Beast Ab has come in the caverns.  It can’t get in right?  We managed to hatch turkey eggs not by forbidding them, but because everyone is so damn busy doing stuff that nobody ever went to grab them.  I haven’t had more than 5 idlers all year…  So much stone to move.

I bought almost all of the dwarven caravan.  They kept their jewel encrusted cages and ropes.  To combat lag, i’ve caged all the animals other than the chickens.

Farmer Nut was brutally murdered by a dwarf named Sodel Cattenkadol Tathtut Ekast today.  She was a legendary farmer.  Turns out he’s a complete combat badass and self appointed captain of the guard.  He doesn’t have any of the signs of being a vampire… I don’t know why Nut had to die.  I liked her.  Sodel has now been assigned the crappiest of noble quarters and locked in there to see if he gets hungry.  Sodel sleeps.  He is not a vampire.  Strange.

It is now winter.

So we're up to about 20% necromancers.  Should i really cull the population?

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2017, 08:00:01 pm »

At least don't let dorfed people become necros.
dump the book in a pit along with the necros.
they shouldn't require food, but they might.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17