Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 240373 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #795 on: January 06, 2018, 10:52:44 am »

There was a report from Watershield. It was in the hands of a tired, scarred, shell - shocked soldier, who could barely look anyone in the eye.
The walls of watershield were made of wood. Sparks flew from the sky, and the monsters gears, like a massive striker, lit the forest aflame. Such heat spread through the bogs like a tide, through the earth, lighting the turf aflame.
The rooftops of watershield burned bright in the darkness. A host of humans, all clad in bronze slowly walked towards the great beast of metal, lights beaming down, blinding the combatants. The soldiers put their shields forward, forming a wall. None would pass.
None.
[HYYYYYYPE]
[I know this isn't what's happening, but I'm so hyped!]
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 06, 2018, 07:19:44 pm »

There was a report from Watershield. It was in the hands of a tired, scarred, shell - shocked soldier, who could barely look anyone in the eye.
The walls of watershield were made of wood. Sparks flew from the sky, and the monsters gears, like a massive striker, lit the forest aflame. Such heat spread through the bogs like a tide, through the earth, lighting the turf aflame.
The rooftops of watershield burned bright in the darkness. A host of humans, all clad in bronze slowly walked towards the great beast of metal, lights beaming down, blinding the combatants. The soldiers put their shields forward, forming a wall. None would pass.
None.
[HYYYYYYPE]
[I know this isn't what's happening, but I'm so hyped!]
I am prepared for an attack of titan-esque sequel where we murderfuck this collosus if he wins
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 06, 2018, 11:05:35 pm »

Do I spy some steel on the armor of the leaders?  If so, darn shame none of it got into the weapons.

If it must end this way, then so be it!  Hey, if we're lucky, the dumb thing will camp out in the remains for a few seasons and then leave, so the fort can retire instead of fall . . .

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 06, 2018, 11:24:45 pm »

Also if only I had the time to get the Ranger Squad up and active we would stand some semblance of a chance against this beast of olden times.
But for now all I have to do is pray that atleast some important characters make it.
"Men! On my count!"

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #799 on: January 07, 2018, 04:19:10 am »

Do I spy some steel on the armor of the leaders?  If so, darn shame none of it got into the weapons.

If it must end this way, then so be it!  Hey, if we're lucky, the dumb thing will camp out in the remains for a few seasons and then leave, so the fort can retire instead of fall . . .

Unfortunately that's just iron... Human cannot make steel unfortunately, it remains a dwarven secret...

Also if only I had the time to get the Ranger Squad up and active we would stand some semblance of a chance against this beast of olden times.
But for now all I have to do is pray that atleast some important characters make it.

I'll try my best to have that resolution done quickly ! Hold on a bit !

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #800 on: January 09, 2018, 12:44:36 pm »

Music

Of course, we haven't deployed without a plan. There is always an unquantifiable gap between a battle plan on paper and it's realization on the field, but we would definitely not engage an Old God without a serious ace card in our sleeve.
Unbridled bravery and careful planning - they are the two sources of our survival in the Enchanted Swamp, and today was not exception.

The eastern side of the fortress has been constellated by traps for a very long time, to give us an advantage against the forces of Osme Stobϋb. When we learnt that Odlug has been awakened once again, it took little effort to adapt those traps and capture a monster of its size. We enlarged them, and deepened them, we filled it with the most solid chain nets we could forge, and we tried our best to lure him in. We had to be prepared in case it would fail, and we were ready for it.

But it worked.

The monster fell like a rock inside the pit - the men rushed in and chained it without casualties. Odlug, the beast that has been terrorizing the subcontinent for longer than recorded history, has destroyed our historical capital city and killed our second king - was now at our mercy.

We came back victorious - once more. We partied all night and drank a lot, morale has never been higher. Zefer was promoted to the rank of cadet captain, and his wedding with Donu was planned. Digo, who inspired our battleplan, and Sirris, who has been requesting her release from bootcamp, were let go and started their careers. Digo as a mechanic, Sirris as a priestess with Donu.

We received weary news in the morning about the war spilling over to the south, but it was not of our immediate concern. We survived again, that what's matter.

When we eventually sobered up, the construction of the outer wall resumed - we'll deal with the war another day.

Now how can we dismantle the beast, that's another problem.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 09, 2018, 12:59:19 pm »

Trust teh Haspen's simple plan:

Dig the pit to deepest cavern-

Oh wait, aquifer. Dammit :v

Trust teh Haspens's simple plan v.2:

Dig a pit, put the cage in, wall the pit, never open it again. Profit!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 09, 2018, 01:40:17 pm »

"Caged guest".
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #803 on: January 09, 2018, 01:46:22 pm »

That won't do...It will escape when the fort is retired (read : soon) and will probably not be happy. It needs to die !
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:48:33 pm by Cathar »

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 09, 2018, 01:57:58 pm »

Trust teh Haspen's simple plan:

Dig the pit to deepest cavern-

Oh wait, aquifer. Dammit :v

Trust teh Haspens's simple plan v.2:

We...we aren't dead!
"Men! On my count!"

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 09, 2018, 02:33:27 pm »

That won't do...It will escape when the fort is retired (read : soon) and will probably not be happy. It needs to die !

Oh you mean it will teleport outta the cage and outside the built walls? Dangit.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 09, 2018, 02:46:29 pm »

Diary of Cadet Captain Zefer Scribefondled,
My chest feels lighter, as if a weight of some thousand tonnes was lifted off of me so I could breathe, I felt fear that day, but it then lead to relief..that colossus, that thing that killed our long and my ancestors was defeated, not killed but put into a ruse like no other, a giant bronze caged animal that will be killed some how....some way. Its as of the souls of the murdered, the victims of the machine were put at rest, thanking all of us for the bravery.
I was promoted, diary, the Ranger Squad is mine and due to my finesse with both bow and blade I will make it useful for us. First, things first, I need some fresh recruits, or people earnest to learn the art of surprise and long ranged combat.
Oh, and I proposed to Donu...i think I did anyways, all that happened after the bronze demon fell was a blur...so I think I'll ask Donu what happened,our betrothement is soon though.

-Zefer
"Men! On my count!"

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #807 on: January 09, 2018, 04:55:07 pm »

The sky was a brilliant swirl of orange and red.  Digo stood atop the battlements, eyeing the horizon, sword in hand.  Sirris stood at his right side, Thrathnu to his left.  "You're sure this will work?" Thrathnu asked.

"Of course", Digo replied with confidence.  "It works on mice."

"Just because it works on mice doesn't mean it will work on monsters."

"We've done all we can, haven't we?"

Thrathnu sighed.  "It seems that way.  We're out of options."

Sirris turned to the side.  "We're all counting on you, Digo."

"It will work."

Trust me.

The earth erupted.  A bronze mountain shifted and began to walk forward.

"Stand your ground, men!"

A row of swords and spears bristled at the creature, its head outlined by the swirling red sun.  It was big, so much bigger than he could have ever imagined

It strode forward toward the trap, but it was nowhere big enough.  He was a fool to think he could trap a god like a mouse.  A foot the size of a house crushed the mechanism like a dried twig.  Soldiers swarmed forward like ants and were crushed A hand reached forward to blot out the sun

Screaming

It held Sirris in one hand and Thathnu in the other.  Digo stared up at the cold, unfeeling eyes that gleamed at him with the indifference of the cruelest gods as it pinched off their heads

Sirris' head rolled in front of Digo and looked up at him.  "This is your fault."

The crushed bodies of the soliders standing in a circle and pointing their fingers your fault your fault your fault

Digo's eyes shot open.  Soaked in cold sweat, breathing heavily.  It was just a dream, he thought.  It's all okay.  We won.  The fort is saved, my design worked, boot camp is done, and I'm about to start my real career.

He sat in the dark for a few minutes.  Then he lit a candle and got up.

---

Memories stirred in his head as he walked.

Let's hear it for the man of the hour!

I think your training is done.

Well done, Digo!  That trap design of yours was brilliant!

"NO IT WASN'T!" Digo shouted, kicking a broken mug left over from the post-battle celebration.  "It was a horrible, broken, slipshod piece of garbage that only worked half the time!"

A low, metallic groaning noise answered him.  Of course he'd wind up here.  The thing was still in its cage.  It just stood there, eyes glowing down at him.  Almost...placid.  So different from the blood-crazed engine of destruction that attacked the fort.

I got lucky.

I'm a terrible mechanic.

And now there were going to be people depending on him.  Depending on him to protect them from monsters like this.

Digo walked around the caged monster.  Its head moved to track him, but that was all.  The creepiest thing about it was how it didn't even seem angry or resentful.  It just...was.

"Why doesn't it even try to escape?"

It doesn't need to.  It doesn't kill and destroy because it's angry.  It kills and destroys because killing and destroying is what it does.  When it cannot...it just sits there.

It doesn't care whether it succeeds or fails.

It just does what it is meant to do.

"I understand."

Digo turned around and walked back to his room.  Tomorrow, his new job would begin.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 09, 2018, 05:30:09 pm »

*slow clapping*

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: January 09, 2018, 05:58:40 pm »

Zefer was promoted to the rank of cadet captain, and his wedding with Donu was planned.

Oh, and I proposed to Donu...i think I did anyways, all that happened after the bronze demon fell was a blur...so I think I'll ask Donu what happened,our betrothement is soon though.

I thought we were waiting till they were old enough to get married. I was going to delay the courtship for at least 2 more seasons till Donu is 16, but I may have lost track of time. I know we could do a betrothal, have it last the rest of the year. The next story I had planned was Donu talking with her dad about Zefer, so I can tie a betrothal in with that.

edit: Awesome story tho. I like how more and more badass monsters/armies keep coming to watershield, only to get embarrassed by a few brave humans. 
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 111