Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you support Iridium's rebellion if he becomes an animal person of some sort?

Yes
- 13 (46.4%)
No
- 15 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 203

Author Topic: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Epilogue: Guest Week  (Read 290766 times)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Chapter III: World's Fall: Not buying what you're Celling
« Reply #2280 on: November 30, 2018, 01:24:04 am »

“We’ve got to end it here!” Celling shouts. “Someone get those Key shards!”

The Secondborn turns and shoots at Celling. Celling dives out of the way as a spear of magical light sizzles into the wall behind him. He hears the snap as the wall splinters and breaks.

While he’s distracted, Jacob runs into the room and scoops up most of the glistening red fragments. The lady with J. V. Boonering picks up one that landed near her, as does Fansworth. J. V. Boonering himself holds one up to the light, turning it this way and that and gazing at it with wide, curious eyes.

The Secondborn advances towards Celling and Fansworth. Taking cover behind the shattered remains of the room’s wall, Celling fires a series of rapid shots. The Secondborn swats them away as if they were flies, waving his hand in front of his face and conjuring a sizzle of shielding.

Anna steps up and yanks Jacob towards her, pulling him by the shoulder. “Jacob,” she says urgently, “give me the shards.”

“You heard what he said,” Jacob says, worry filling his voice. “It’s going to kill you.”

“We have no way of knowing that!” Anna hisses. She pulls open Jacob’s fist and takes the blood-red Key shards. “He could have been lying.”

“That’s not a risk you can take!”

“That’s the only way to get David back,” Anna counters. She holds the key shards in one palm, with the other held above it, as if gripping a ball in front of her chest. "Tell... tell my grandfather I forgive him," she says.

She closes her eyes and concentrates. The Key shards begin slowly rising into the air, turning to align upright. The largest throbs with a slowly growing flare of red light, like an eye opening up after a long sleep. A transparent wave goes out from it and washes over her, distorting her features like a mirage, seeming to gray things out and drain energy from her features. Spinning slowly, the fragments align, notching faces together into a peanut-sized mass, rough around the edges. Planes of red light shine through as seams and cracks are repaired. Fansworth gapes as the shard he's holding flies out of his hands and towards Anna, rotating to fit perfectly like a key in a lock with a nook in the gently turning Key. Like a video played backwards in slow motion, fragments of glass and crimson colored dust fly up from the rubble, recombining into a perfect oval the size of a grape.

Anna’s eyes are shining subtly with red power at this point. She wheels one hand above her shoulder, balling it into a fist to the left of her head, then opens it, splaying out her fingers. She gasps and sags to the ground, knees buckling, as if being held up by the Key, which follows her fist and hovers, glowing, above her hand. It draws in space around itself, building up an aura of ruby light, before exploding outwards with tendrils of dark metal, mechanisms that knot themselves together out of nothingness, coiling around the Key and snaking down towards Anna’s hand. She closes her fist, slowly, shakingly, pulling on two twinned bands that wrapped around her fingers and closing them into a handle for the rapidly forming gauntlet in the air above her. The half-built mechanism pivots, gears ticking.

There’s a palpable shock when it finishes, seconds later - a deep thrum that runs through everyone in the room as Anna takes full control of the Key. The Secondborn feels it and wheels around to be met by a beam of red fire, projected from Anna’s outstretched right hand. Quickly, he builds shields - hemispherical arcs of light and symbols that refract and dissipate the Key’s attack. Anna switches strategies and swings the Key down while drawing her right hand behind her shoulder and letting loose with bolts of red and black thunder that drift lazily towards the Secondborn. He intercepts them with wild flashes of Protinam lightning, detonating them in dizzying flashes of light in midair.

You could conceivably get some shooting done while everyone is distracted by the psychic duel.

A: Shoot Jacob! If the Secondborn’s telling the truth Anna is dead anyway, we should take out the second rebel while we have the chance!
B: Shoot Anna! We can tip the balance of the Secondborn’s duel with her, and the Secondborn is likely easier to deal with than the rebels by a plot standpoint.
C: Shoot the Secondborn! A bit of hot lead is just the right thing to end this psychic battle, right?
D: Shoot the woman! We don’t need more third parties, and she’ll likely claim the Key.
E: What, are you crazy? Don’t shoot anyone!

(my reasons given are just sample. They may not be accurate or complete. Feel free to choose based on your own reasons.)
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Chapter III: World's Fall: Not buying what you're Celling
« Reply #2281 on: November 30, 2018, 01:27:38 am »

C, shoot the Secondborn. It adds to the drama of the scene.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 10:24:38 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #2282 on: November 30, 2018, 02:10:23 am »

A

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: November 30, 2018, 04:45:48 am »

E I'm also not against givin Jaob a gun as plan B, if Anna die now too much tropes are fulfiled for it to not be the time the Seconborn dies.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 05:03:34 am by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: November 30, 2018, 09:10:16 am »

C, shoot the Secondborn. It adds to the drama of the scene.

+1

At this point, we're fighting the Bigger Bad with the Rebels, we're in the line of fire blah blah blah, we're obviously not aligned with him and we're not trying to betray the Rebels, so if we're not on their side as far as the Plot is concerned we'll never be on their side and blue's just been lying about the game mechanics this whole time.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: November 30, 2018, 10:24:26 am »

Scratch original idea, do E. Anna likely needs to focus, and lots of gunfire is likely not conducive to that.
We’ll shoot the Secondborn afterwards if she doesn’t manage to kill him with this.
And if he appears to be dead, we’ll want to remove or destroy his head.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: December 07, 2018, 01:52:29 am »

*poke*

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: December 08, 2018, 01:05:04 pm »

*poke*

*shove*

For your information, this is not over and I am not dead.

Alright, you’ve chosen not to shoot anyone.

“Get OUT OF DAVID’S HEAD!” Anna screams, raising her right hand in a tensed clawing motion in the air. A shockwave of power screeches towards the air and floods through the Secondborn, blowing him backwards. She follows with another barrage of boltlike missiles. The Secondborn raises one arm and explodes them, but the effort visibly weakens him and he staggers backwards, shields and energy projections flickering and failing. “You… can never defeat me! he hisses. “You… mere mortals… will fall like wheat before my power!

Eyes glowing with fire, Anna raises her hand again and projects a knife-beam of crimson power that pins the Secondborn against the cracked wall, striking him squarely in the forehead. He screams in pain as waves of red light wash over him and onto the wall. The light gushes like water or smoke out of the Secondborn, flowing in a torrent out of every pore in his body.

No.” Anna says. She curls her hand backwards and the Secondborn is jerked forwards, pulled as if by a string by the red beam. Something like a shadow is dragged out, blown out of David’s body, and the Key assaults it with crackles of orange lightning. It gives a final shriek and shatters, a mirage-like shockwave crashing over the entire room, before it’s gone and the air is still.

The red light shuts off and Anna sags, dimmed and drained. She breathes a heavy breath, leaning against the wall for support, and falls, the Key striking the rubble with a metallic clang as she slumps to the ground.

“ANNA!” shouts Jacob, who had up to this point been staring transfixed at the battle. Snapping out of his trance, he rushes to Anna’s side and kneels by her body-

-just as another figure, tall and dressed in a black coat, steps out from the shadows. Extending one white, bony hand, he manipulates the locks on the Key with practiced ease and removes the glassy red core stone. “The Key of Taloc,” the Mittani says with satisfaction. “Thank you, Anna. I’ll take this.”

Jacob stands up, fists balled and raging, but the Mittani smiles and steps quickly to the side of one of the still-standing pillars in the room. “See you around,” he says, swinging around the pole, already setting his destination and drawing the blanket-like veil of suspension of disbelief around him, preparing to transport himself-

-nowhere, as he takes another step and swings around the pillar, coming face to face with Jacob again. He has just enough time to look shocked before Jacob raises his gun.

What do you do?

A: Attack the Mittani!
B: Attack Jacob!
C: Let this play out without intervention.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: December 08, 2018, 01:12:06 pm »

A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A FUCK THE MITTANI WHY DIDN’T WE START SHOOTING HIM AS SOON AS HE SHOWED UP

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: December 08, 2018, 01:16:19 pm »

Because the GM doesn't care about reality, realism, or even reasonable responses?

Shoot the bloody Mittani, carefully so we don't hit Jacob, of course. Not that we're actually in such a configuration that this will be a problem, given where we're standing.

Also, why in the HECK did any of us just....let the Mittani step from shadows over to Anna, bend over, grab the Key, disassemble it, then speak a bog-standard villainous phrase? That makes zero sense, we have had plenty of reaction time from Anna crumpling to the Mittani speaking to do almost anything, including cross the room to tackle him.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: December 08, 2018, 01:17:28 pm »

A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A FUCK THE MITTANI WHY DIDN’T WE START SHOOTING HIM AS SOON AS HE SHOWED UP

Because the GM doesn't care about reality, realism, or even reasonable responses?

Shoot the bloody Mittani, carefully so we don't hit Jacob, of course. Not that we're actually in such a configuration that this will be a problem, given where we're standing.

Also, why in the HECK did any of us just....let the Mittani step from shadows over to Anna, bend over, grab the Key, disassemble it, then speak a bog-standard villainous phrase? That makes zero sense, we have had plenty of reaction time from Anna crumpling to the Mittani speaking to do almost anything, including cross the room to tackle him.

I considered having an insta-shot happen, but decided to give you options because forcing your hand is bad(tm).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 01:23:37 pm by blueturtle1134 »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: December 08, 2018, 01:19:39 pm »

Then give us the option as soon as he appears, not after he’s already taken the damn Key.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: December 08, 2018, 01:22:55 pm »

Then give us the option as soon as he appears, not after he’s already taken the damn Key.

I mean, just take the few seconds of delay as your initial "who is this guy" shock. Neither of the characters has actually seen the Mittani in-game, by the way, their only way of knowing it's him is by the voice and the fact that he matches the EVE online general features.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: December 08, 2018, 01:25:53 pm »

He came in from hammerspace. There’s three entities that could be, and the other two are Erin and a parrot.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: December 08, 2018, 01:27:29 pm »

Takes more than "a few seconds of shock" for a guy to bend down, grab the Key, stand up, and disassemble it.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 203