Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 214835 times)

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 61
« Reply #1440 on: October 06, 2023, 02:51:58 pm »

[Well, since the waitlist is gone, and Nakeen appears to be in maximum overdrive, I figure I should try to throw my hat into the ring while I can!]

Spoiler: Horned Hound (click to show/hide)
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 61
« Reply #1441 on: October 06, 2023, 05:39:19 pm »

"You're not wrong that they feel strong, but their raw power can't win them the hour. beyond the wall was a ogre shaman and thralls, with careful team work they did fall. Leave me to scout, and figure it out, I will distract if we need to rout."
Have Toc and the others wait further away while I scout them out, and see if I can find out what they are doing and any weaknesses they may have.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 62
« Reply #1442 on: October 08, 2023, 04:33:04 pm »

Update 62:

The Swamp Slugipede - (Wolfkey)
Swamp Slugipede

Find a big pool of mud to blend in with, then wait until a creature smaller than half my size walks by. If one does, jump out and swallow it whole.

Quoting this just because it might be easy to miss
I decided to rephrase my skills so what they do is clearer

Blend In:
Easy 6: [8]
Outcome: [2] (Success)

You easily found a pool of mud to blend in, where you patiently waited for something smaller than you to pass by. After a time, a Swamp Goblin appears.

[Slugipede: Swallow]
Spoiler: Detail (click to show/hide)
Attack Roll: 8=[4]+4
Defender Roll: 10=[10]
[Failed Attack]
[Open to Counterattack]

You burst out of the mud aiming to swallow the small goblin whole. With an astounding and completely unexpected roll, the Goblin managed to evade your attack!

Current Location: Sobol Swamps
Nearby Creatures:
- Swamp Goblin

Spoiler: TODO Status (click to show/hide)

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
"... Perhaps we put in a bit too much effort for this battle?" Eximius wondered, seemingly having gotten too used to battling with enemies he and Prias had no business fighting in the first place. "... Oh well."

Shrugging as well as a ring could, the Living Weapon eagerly vacuumed up the Essence left behind by the ogres. "Ready to continue?"

Onwards to Satroya! ... Well, maybe let's see if there's anything useful on the ogres first. Or if something useful could be made out of them.

Prias chuckled.
"There is something relaxing about a quickly ended battle after the previous one."

He turned toward the adventurers.
"Still, let's try to save up our resources for now. It will only get tougher from there on."

"Sounds reasonable. We did go a bit overboard there, but better safe than sorry they say?"

(...)

Further into the Deadland (Luck): [3]
Sneak:
Easy 8: [1] -Critical Failure-

The group progressed further ahead. Hours did pass, but the world stood still, frozen in gray. A screech from above: a couple of skeletal wyverns.

Current Location: Nepkeros Eastern Deadland -- Deadland

Nearby Creatures:
Monsters [Enemies]
- Skeletal Wyvern#1
- Skeletal Wyvern#2

Adventurer Party [Allies]
- Werbald the Squire
- Malmey the Mage
- Caromash the Scout
- Shavrine the Ranger

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
Rejected because it can't be done, or rejected because I don't have the spellpower to cast it on one of us?  I know we're a little resistant normally.  I might get better results if I practice with a slime instead.

"Okay, Skra, here's the plan."

"There's a lot of bugs on the mainland, and they're in groups harassing things.  We're going to hunt them to keep them away from the island.  We're also going to need to change again, because there's likely some queen bug somewhere."

"So we're going to hide, nail a batch, move.  Find their base.  And then keep doing it.

Eventually they'll get serious and send out their big bugs.  Then we'll attack their base and kill their queen."

"Keep hiding.  I know how to get under the treeline, and we can keep in touch with [Squack], without giving away the game."

"When you get enough essence, use it.  I'll try to resist the change until we need it, if I get enough myself."

"Got it?"

Enact the above plan.

In general:

Gather essence when available.  Kra can stage up.  Squacks will try to resist it, if he manages to get enough.
Use the experience ambushing the bugs to take out individuals or small squads.
Use the experience getting below the treeline, and the friendly relationship with the local slimes, to hide from the bugs and move around out of sight.
Find their base.
Wait for a good chance, say their stronger bugs leaving to hunt for us, as an opportunity to go in and kill the queen.

Skra was onboard with your plan, eager to tear some flesh. She was getting bored having nothing to do.
"Hehe, so we are just going to kill a big bug? Sounds easy!"

You set off for the mainland, aiming to gather essence to prepare for further confrontations with the insects.

(...)

Timeskip:
Training: [2,3]
Guerilla Warfare: [6,4]

In a short span of time, the mainland jungle had drastically changed. The greater part of it was now the hunting grounds of the Elemanoptera, which mercilessly and indiscriminately hunted all monsters they could find as if their hunger was bottomless. The slimes had nearly all been wiped out, and you barely managed to gather enough Essence for Skra to be able to evolve, and not enough for you to even reach half the needed amount.

Fortunately you managed to avoid their hunting squads, but your presence and past actions had not gone unnoticed. You felt as if they were actively searching for you, and as the day progressed, the hunting squads became more frequent, and more dangerous. They hadn't yet pinpointed your position, but it was only a matter of time.

You managed to find their main hive, somewhere in the northern part of the greater jungle. A great spire made of a strange material, with hundreds if not thousands of insects coming in and out of it.

You obtained 10 Lesser Essence
Skra has evolved into a Stage 2 Scorching Vulture

Current Location: Savarde Jungles (North) -- Elemanoptera Hive Outskirts
Nearby creatures:
- Skra the Scorching Vulture (Stage 3)

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
Rest… Sounded good. Browsing jumbled memories of the fight was still painful, so Ulkas relaxed back into Astrosa’s lap with a content smile, letting his mind recover while marveling at luxurious accommodation.

Rest well, enjoy and recover.

MP fully recovered
You took Astrosa up on the offer, and rested. In the meantime, Astrosa told you a bit of what she was up to when you were asleep, and where you had ended up.

The translocation had successfully went off, but it had sent you in a completely different location than what was intended. According to Liel, the instability of the node had been caused by some region-wide dimensional disturbance that affected weakened distant nodes. You were no longer in the Deadlands, nor in any place close to Nepkeros. You did notice that the fog around there was incredibly thick... and seemed faintly alive, thinking.

"I had some exchanges with the locals, well, those who didn't die to quickly and actually could communicate. They also call this place a deadland, and it seems we are in Eastenval. Sounds familiar does it? I remembered later, but that would be in the territory of that human kingdom, Fordania."

She smiled with a hint of nostalgia.
"Yep. Not so far from "home". Problem is, we can't seem to leave the place. The undead around there speak of an Armour that is keeping everyone trapped here. So I guess that if we want to leave, we are going to have to deal with it? Unless your translocation still works."

She streched her arms upward.
"But well, we've got time. We can looking into leaving this place when you are ready."

Current Location: -Deadland of Easenval (East from Fordania)
Nearby creatures:
- ?
Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Skee, the Insect Parasite (Legendary Marksdorf)
Never in the entirety of its solitary parasite's life had Skee heard something like this, from a host. Well, not that he'd really talked much with his hosts before. Much less been thanked by them for using their body ! Honestly, the whole situation took him aback a little bit. But he supposed he should give an answer, at the very least. Who knew what would come of this ?

"Uh... yes... Hello. This is an... unusual situation, to say the least, but I suppose I can answer your questions." Skee declared hesitantly, before continuing.

"My name is Skee, although amongst my species, our own names usually matter little because of our way of life. I come from the jungle, just like you. As for who I am... For the most part, my life was just about surviving, infecting weak and easy hosts who wouldn't put up much of a fight just to be able to eat and hide from predators, discarding their bodies to escape when I was in trouble. But recently, something changed ? I don't know if I got bored, or if the power struggles of the jungle awoke this side of me, but I somehow developped a desire for more. More than just a life spent hiding. The ambition to grow stronger and stronger. Thinking about it now, it seems like the same thing happened to others, too. Just a look at the new Makralian horde's leaders should tell you as much. If I had to guess, it has to do with this "essence" stuff that's been going around."

Skee paused, realizing he'd never really talked about this with anyone, or even really materalized these thoughts. I guess having a conversation partner for once was helping him realize some things.

"You also asked what I like ? Mmhhh... Parasites don't usually have much of a personality of their own, but I guess I've taken a liking to the excitement of the fights I've... or should I say, we've been into. And what about you, Shnapa ? I'm kind of surprised a host would thank me for using their body... What was your life like before ?" He asked, still surprised by Shnapa's earlier statement.

(Action for after the conversation : Once everyone is sufficiently rested, Skee went back to the Horde, following the calls. Wouldn't wanna fall behind too much.)

The coiled Makralian smiled gleefully.
"Skee! So that is your name. Before meeting you, my life was... empty. Fighting, surviving, hiding. A beast among many, without ambition and only thinking about the next meal. Looking back, it truly was meaningless. Even among my pack, I felt... lonely."

Shnapa descended from his branch, coming in front of you face to face, his head at your level.
"When you took over, I thought "I guess that's it. That's life". But somehow... I didn't disappear. And I watched, and marvelled. In a few days, you made something out of my body, and in my... heart. I felt something. It was painful at first, then frustrating, but then it was exhilarating! The pain of knowing my body held this kind of potential, that I had been wasting it. And now someone else had managed to make something out of it! Damn it! Why couldn't I do it? What did I lack?"

Shnapa closed his eyes once more.
"But then in that dream, I took a moment to think. I was lucky to meet you. To have been able to see a glimpse of something greater than what I was. You know, I don't think of you as a parasite. Rather... you are like a symbiote. It may be one-sied, but I thought of you as a friend, as someone who knew myself more than anyone else. I am satisfied. I wouldn't mind if you decided to erase me now, that's... the kind of Makralian I am. Guess that's why I could never be more than I was, right? But if you are willing to keep me around, I want to help you, like you helped me. I have seen you fight, plan, and adjust my body. I'm sure your potential is even greater than mine, and I can't help but marvel when I think of it."

(...)

The group resumed its advance after recovering a bit. They were still bruised and not at their best, but they could fight.

Luck: [6]

You followed the calls, until you met up with the main force who was clashing with the full brunt of the enemies defenses. It was chaos there, with hundred of monsters clashing in a great melee across this part of the jungle, from the ground and in the trees. Arrows of chitin rained from everywhere, insect and mammal limbs flew off regularly, and on each side some powerful champions mowed down the weaker ones like grass.

The Arachnastinians seem to have the advantage.

Current Location: Central Savarde Jungle -- Arachnastinian Territories --- Inner Arachnastinian Territories
Nearby Creatures:
[Immediate Surroundings]
-Shnapa's Pack [Friends!]
[HP10 MP10 STR 1 CON 1 POW 0 RES 0 INT -1 IND -1]
-> Knap-knap 8/10
-> Apa-nap 8/10
-> Kenep 8/10
-> Peshnep 8/10

[Big Battle!]
-Hundred of Arachnastinian
-Hundred of Makralians

[Makralian Horde]
-The Horde Leader: Krauraka
-The 7 Greater Leaders
-The 39 Lesser Leaders
-The 24 last contestants
-Nearly a thousand of Adult Makralians

[Arachnastinian "Spiderfolk" Kingdom]
-Countless Arachnastinians

Spoiler: Skee Status (click to show/hide)

The Horned Hound - (Prophet)
[Well, since the waitlist is gone, and Nakeen appears to be in maximum overdrive, I figure I should try to throw my hat into the ring while I can!]

Spoiler: Horned Hound (click to show/hide)

(Lazy GM will do your traits and skills later)

Luck: [2]

You have been enslaved by Demons, after they invaded your home in the frost mountains. Your taskmaster is currently leading you and the other thralls toward another forest, the old territory of a monster called the White Fang. You don't know the specifics, but a great battle is about to take place.

Spoiler: Horned Hound Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
"You're not wrong that they feel strong, but their raw power can't win them the hour. beyond the wall was a ogre shaman and thralls, with careful team work they did fall. Leave me to scout, and figure it out, I will distract if we need to rout."
Have Toc and the others wait further away while I scout them out, and see if I can find out what they are doing and any weaknesses they may have.

Sneak
Easy (6): [4]
Outcome: [2] -Critical Failure-

You approached alone, silently weaving between the foliage until the ruins were in sight. Suddenly you felt a familiar, discomfortable presence - the undead. And some magic reaction, like... an alarm?

You hadn't even seen the necromancers yet, who were most likely inside the ruined structure, that an undead patchwork of creatures jumped out from another part of the ruins. It was as big as a great bear, and had parts of many creatures glued to itself. You couldn't sense its mind, which was quite problematic: it might be possible your mental attacks would be drastically less effective against it.

Current Location: Lineine Woods
Nearby Creatures:
- Undead Chimera Hostile
- Toc the Teal Goblin and Friend
- Human Party Wary
> Shiny and long weapon holding human, named Breios
[15/15 12/12 STR1 CON0 POW1 RES1 INT1 IND2]
> Human with long hair holding some strange object, named Yevlaine
> Big human like a small ogre, holding nothing. Named Patreio.
> "Sleeping" on the back of the big one human, named Paimni Badly Wounded

- Human Necromancers

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 05:01:03 pm by Nakéen »

Wolfkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: October 08, 2023, 05:03:52 pm »

Swamp Slugipede

If the goblin is holding a weapon, try to disarm it. Then try to swallow it again.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: October 08, 2023, 06:29:25 pm »

This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: October 08, 2023, 06:36:26 pm »

The Hound knew it wasn't likely to get away now, it's previous attempt still stung, the taskmaster's eyes watching to closely.

The Hound bids it's time. Waiting for an opportunity to escape in the chaos of the coming events.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: October 08, 2023, 07:03:01 pm »

Azarian focused firmly on the creature with his gaze, analyzing it with intensity even as he kited away to avoid being struck by it. The necromancers were like puppetmasters, all he had to do was figure out how to cut the strings. Perhaps with his more refined skills he could use his Psi-Siphon to deplete whatever was fueling it's rampage.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: October 08, 2023, 07:48:25 pm »

[Ulkas is in Easenval's Deadland as I suspected? Looking forwards to seeing 'Ferratus' again.]

"Geh... Wyverns. Might not be a dragon, but still brings back bad memories." Eximius 'winced', recalling a certain toxic sludge dragon from long, long ago.

Try to clip one of their wings with a Mana Wave. If successful in grounding them, finish with a Mana Drain.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: October 08, 2023, 08:15:28 pm »

(Skra should be stage 3.  She was introduced as being stage 1, and has evolved twice.)

Carrion bird (Stage 0)
->
Jagged Carrion bird (Stage 1)
->
Cinder Vulture (Stage 2)
->
Scorching Vulture (Stage 3.)

Time for the next step.  Lets lure them away, by attacking a scouting group at a good distance from the nest.  Kill them all (and absorb their essence), but one, and capture that one.

Tell that one that the "Lord of Fire" is challenging the insects, and challenge them to a fight there, at the extreme end of their territory.  Let the survivor go to bring the challenge back to the nest.

After that, sneak in close to the nest and see what happens.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: October 08, 2023, 11:51:24 pm »

Will correct Skra!

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: October 09, 2023, 12:23:47 am »

[Ulkas is in Easenval's Deadland as I suspected? Looking forwards to seeing 'Ferratus' again.]
[Yep, feels like Armor has its own dominion now, ruling with an all-consuming greed. I have a feeling that dice & chance are trying to use demons like cleaners for world’s messes… Though, considering that they have kinda enabled armor to power up on villagers in first season - maybe karma?

Also, your party is kinda unlucky, hopefully luck would turns its face on you and we learn what this whole situation is about.]
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: October 09, 2023, 12:34:23 am »

Quote from: Ulkas
“Liel, now that I have rested, what can you tell us about the opponent we have faced at the military facility? I have gathered that it once was a Core, one which turned its facility into an extension of itself. Both perfected and yet somehow… Even more twisted from that seeming perfection.”

"Xatares is grateful... and apologies for inadvertently sending us toward a death trap. This situation fell far outside our expectations, a core corruption is unacceptable... and shouldn't have been allowed to happen. We surmise the failsafes failed due to some unknown reason. Rogue Core Ersenas has been flagged as an Enemy. We have been able to determine it willingly used the emergency beacon to lure in Levem rescue efforts, in order to ambush them and appropriate their ichor. By doing so, it openly made itself an enemy of Levem."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: October 09, 2023, 12:35:19 am »

(Mind having a bit of a plot recap, Sarrak?  I remember there was some reason it was really bad to let essence die, but not all the details.)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: October 09, 2023, 12:37:02 am »

(Mind having a bit of a plot recap, Sarrak?  I remember there was some reason it was really bad to let essence die, but not all the details.)
(Letting Essence "die" is not really bad or good, maybe you are confusing it with something else? You can't really let Essence die, if you do not take it, it does not vanish but is absorbed back into the world.)

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: October 09, 2023, 01:04:38 am »

(Once upon a time, there were ‘star gods’. Most nameless, but one had name and thus, grand ideas, creating the world we live in. Then, creatures came to be. My ideas on the purpose of creation range from selfish benevolence (by living and expressing themselves, creatures enriched both themselves and their creator) to eldritch farming practices (creatures having fulfilling lives is a byproduct of Essence enrichment process).

It went for a long time, while other ‘star gods’ were going mad with hunger they did not fully realize at first. Then, Catastrophe occurred. Basically, an attack from others/foreign entity, where our creator used its Essence to retaliate. Sacrificing its creation/farm, but not fully - and possibly infecting other ‘star gods’ with itself, for they have used its Essence to actualize themselves and got Names.

Essence is the Blood of Creator. And possibly traces of its very soul - which allows it to support our own souls, making progress possible (most probably, Essence has greatly intelligence development in creatures, otherwise there would not be so many races).

Full disappearance of Essence equals death of the world itself, which is partly/fully our creator - and full access to what remains for other ‘star gods’, who are even now trying to mess with inhabitants to gain trickles of Essence.)

TLDR: World is using Essence as a crutch for sloppy/intentional world-building by its ‘star god’ creator and it is absolutely indispensable for its functioning as of now. World without Essence might be possible, but this one can’t be it. Essence is its soul, immune system and replication cycle.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99