Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 96691 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #1065 on: February 04, 2020, 04:06:55 pm »

I realized today how surprised I am that somehow, George Lucas isn't the Brian Herbert of the Star Wars.

Well he's the Frank Herbert of Star Wars, so.

Fair, Herbert's editors did make him change the story so it wasn't just about the ecologist character.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: February 04, 2020, 04:08:32 pm »

Don't worry, I'm sure 10 thru 12 will have some newcomers! Perhaps an empire of soldiers in white armor, with a Sith leader with a mask and deep voice, that has a planet-destroying weapon, and is backed by a scarred old man in a robe. Then the Contras or the Insurgency or the Counterculture or something will form a scrappy band of unlikely heroes to take them on.

As long as Rian Johnson doesn't get to direct it. He is... a woeful incompetent in terms of creating anything that doesn't "break the rules".
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: February 04, 2020, 04:45:38 pm »

Don't worry, I'm sure 10 thru 12 will have some newcomers! Perhaps an empire of soldiers in white armor, with a Sith leader with a mask and deep voice, that has a planet-destroying weapon, and is backed by a scarred old man in a robe. Then the Contras or the Insurgency or the Counterculture or something will form a scrappy band of unlikely heroes to take them on.

As long as Rian Johnson doesn't get to direct it. He is... a woeful incompetent in terms of creating anything that doesn't "break the rules".
Ain't Knives Out, by Rian Johnson, considered to be a pretty good movie?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: February 04, 2020, 05:24:07 pm »

Ain't Knives Out, by Rian Johnson, considered to be a pretty good movie?
Does that not break his own rule of woeful incompetence?

(I honestly don't have much of an opinion on RJ, can't recall what he's done)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: February 04, 2020, 06:15:22 pm »

Knives Out was pretty excellent from what I've heard. The movie also wasn't dumped on him with pre-existing characters and plot as well as free license to do whatever he liked. Maybe if Rian Johnson was allowed to make a side-story he could have produced a good movie. Maybe not a good Star Wars movie but certainly better than the Last Jedi.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: February 05, 2020, 08:56:40 am »

It's not unlikely. Someone who can make a great comedy or heist movie isn't necessarily someone who's going to make a great action or blockbuster movie.

Maybe they should have had that guy who made Ghostbusters 2016 make some Star Wars movies? If y'all are gonna trainwreck it, at least trainwreck in style.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 05, 2020, 01:32:23 pm »

IMO Rian Johnson's best move is Looper, which is specifically good because it's a very literal subversion of the sci-fi time travel genre niche. But in truth, he really hasn't made that many films.

And other than the aforementioned Looper, I haven't really seen the films he's made. (Brick, The Brothers Bloom, and Knives Out). Though his Breaking Bad stuff is p good.

The decision to make him director in the first place, regardless of my opinion of him, is kind of weird considering his lack of experience (especially with the kind of sci-fi [or science fantasy if you prefer] that is Star Wars). I don't actually disagree with him wanting to do something different with the universe--the body of work that is the films themselves before the new trilogy is pretty cut and dry. HOWEVER. The execution is laughably bad, and while Disney made a decision to axe most of the EU, the fact there are extant blueprints of Star Wars stories done RIGHT and that are different from the Lucas' approach out there in the world that WEREN'T TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF is just bad research/design/whatever. People have written books/designed games/animated cartoons about Star Wars that do something different and are a legitimate part of the "Star Wars Fan Canon"tm.

To be fair to Rian Johnson, it just seems like from a creative perspective, the elements of Star Wars are things you either GET or DON'T, and many people just DON'T. EDIT: Hell, even Ron Howard doesn't--and he's Lucas' long time friend and sounding board.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 01:34:30 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: February 05, 2020, 01:40:59 pm »

Oh, RJ did Brothers Bloom? I actually quite enjoyed that one... But, I mean, I'd probably watch that leading cast in just about anything.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 05, 2020, 01:46:51 pm »

The decision to make him director in the first place, regardless of my opinion of him, is kind of weird considering his lack of experience (especially with the kind of sci-fi [or science fantasy if you prefer] that is Star Wars). I don't actually disagree with him wanting to do something different with the universe--the body of work that is the films themselves before the new trilogy is pretty cut and dry. HOWEVER. The execution is laughably bad, and while Disney made a decision to axe most of the EU, the fact there are extant blueprints of Star Wars stories done RIGHT and that are different from the Lucas' approach out there in the world that WEREN'T TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF is just bad research/design/whatever. People have written books/designed games/animated cartoons about Star Wars that do something different and are a legitimate part of the "Star Wars Fan Canon"tm.

They were part of Canon. Disney removed them from Canon when they bought out the property. It is literally just what you are seeing now. Enjoy.

Edit:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 04:06:03 pm by Iduno »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: March 05, 2020, 12:12:41 pm »

MFer just said Sheev.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: March 05, 2020, 12:17:36 pm »

Edit:
This... Makes that one interview even funnier.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: March 05, 2020, 12:20:27 pm »

And the Movie DLCs continue to add onto the TROS disaster:

TROS Palaptine is confirmed via tweet to be a clone... and so is Rey's father.

Wow, am I glad that was totally explained in the movie, right?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: March 05, 2020, 01:30:52 pm »

MFer just said Sheev.

What does this mean?
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: March 05, 2020, 01:55:06 pm »

MFer just said Sheev.

What does this mean?

When they announced everyone in the star war is a clone now, they said Rey was Sheev Palatine's granddaughter. So not only did they decide the empror needs a name, but also it needs to be the dumbest name ever.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: March 05, 2020, 02:00:37 pm »

Oh don't worry, Palpatine has had a first name for a LONG time.

And it's been "Sheev" the entire time.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 81