Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2936830 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5835 on: March 29, 2024, 07:13:45 pm »

for 1-3 there, from ongoing shenanigans in the Museum game I dont think anybody ever cares what happens to equipment. At least, nothing ever comes of it. Toady hasn't mentioned any changes to that yet, but I imagine it might become an issue in the future, depending on the value of the items.

If an item thats taken is claimed by anyone, theyll probably pursue acquiring it, but that doesnt happen to citizens in fort mode right now. They do want their stuff back if you steal it in adventure mode. Sometimes you can get away with robbing someone holding an artifact in a non-lethal fistfight, by grabbing the object in wrestling and jumping or moving away from them and retain possession of it. Easier than wrestling it from their grip if you have low skill or strength. Theyll dislike you but wont be able to do anything besides maybe attack you next time they see you.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: March 30, 2024, 08:28:08 pm »

G'day Toady. Happy Easter, I hope all is well.
Would you please consider the following questions:

Is the current cordial treatment of intelligent-undead and experiments by the living-aligned and red-blooded as intended, or will they begin to be expelled by societies (with particular ethics) in the continuation of villains work?

Is there a difference in how demi-god characters will play / be treated if their patron is the target of a non-reformed or reformed religion? (i.e. with or without organised temples and priests)

Are there no item retrieval missions if a demi-god character is created at year 1 (due to no relics having been yet created in world-gen history), or might there be new collectables?

Thanks.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5837 on: April 02, 2024, 02:42:01 pm »

Quote from: voliol
Will there be non-player demigod characters? Like, will they show up in legends as just the children of whatever god and influence the world?

Yeah, this was the hope, once it's complete.  It's a good way for us to introduce new people for fort mode, new companions and adversaries and others in adv mode as well.  Should be good fun, but won't be in immediately in April.

Quote from: Ziusudra
How much are the other controls changing and are any of the current ones are merging?

We've kept most of the current keys.  I don't remember any counterexamples off the top of my head.  Since we're not using WASD, the keys weren't exploded like they were in fort mode, so most everything could remain intact.

Quote from: Button
Hey Toady! I assume by the time you read this the bug tracker will be fixed; but in future, who should we contact/how should we let somebody know when the bug tracker is broken?

clinodev: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8528641#msg8528641

Quote from: Inevtable Demon mom
Hello! I watched Blind's recent video on "What to expect from Adventure mode and Magic healing!" and got very interested in the latter part. While at first I was very unsure of implementing a sort of magical healing that could revert otherwise permanent injuries, I started to think about what would be an interesting implementation that could fall in line with the feel of DF, so this got me thinking:

- Is this new way of healing conceptualized like a mage casting a healing spell on an injuried person or more like an alchemist or a traditional healer rubbing a combination of weeds and other materials on the injury?
- Will the new healing method serve as a single multipurpose heal-it-all solution or will there be specific (hopefully randomized for each world!) requirements and quirks for each sort of injury? For example, if you're trying to heal torn ligaments the material/other requirements are somewhat different from if you're trying to heal nerve damage. In this case, will there be different recipes for these different kinds of healing? Will scholars in fortress mode be able to discover these recipes by doing research and discussing with other smartpants who come visit your fort?
- How viable are you planning to make having an adventurer be dedicated to medicine? Would be very cool to have yet another different niche to specialize in the coming adventure mode.

Eric Blank: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8528843#msg8528843

Yeah, it's certainly going to be randomized on a per-world basis, and the particulars are just going to come in over time.  There'll probably be some powerful effects in the beginning and then it'll become diversified with some weaker stuff as we spend some time with it.  Relating it to scholarship in fort mode is a myth/magic goal but that won't happen at first, and hospitals won't see anything for a bit, but eventually they'll notice the new possibilities ha ha.  Integrating fort mode generally with magic is exciting and challenging and right in front of us.

For dedicated medical adventurers, who aren't just party members helping out, I see the basic issue there just being that there aren't a lot of randomly wounded/sick people out in the world.  Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Quote from: Salvadaddy
Hello, Toady, have you come up with any new monsters or creatures randomly as you've been working on the adventure mode stuff?

PlumpHelmetMan: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8529607#msg8529607
Pillbo: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8531922#msg8531922

Nothing new yet!  It has mainly been interface and graphics and audio, and we aren't even caught up with all the existing features.  But there will be something to play!  (as seen in the combat video)  And new monsters should start coming as we go through our demigod/dungeon/temple roadmap - this won't be complete in April's beta either, but will be coming in as the update comes out of beta.

Quote from: voliol
When the biomes become sphere-aligned primarily, instead of being Good/Evil/Wild, what are your thoughts on the "surroundings" descriptor? I.e the one that says "calm", "haunted", "joyous wilds", etc. on the embark screen. Some sphere-alignments, like a land of thunder, don't map clearly to any of the existing descriptions. But at the same time, having descriptions for all spheres, or combinations of spheres, seems like it could be a lot. Both to develop, but also for the player embarking. E.g. if a biome is "rumbling" or "chaotic", how difficult is that?

Those adjectives are particularly linked to the three existing properties, so I imagine they'll get exploded.  Musical timbre is an example of us kind of going expansive with a collection of adjectives along a bunch of related axes, and something similar could happen.  I'm not sure adjectives will be sufficient though.  Hopefully places will be interesting enough eventually to describe with a sentence or two ha ha.

Quote from: TheMarmot
Will alive demigods influence the name of the age? vampires and necromancers already influence it, along with werebeasts and other creatures.

I'm not sure if we'll get to tweaks to age names here before they undergo more serious changes.

Quote from: Afroman726
Hello!  Im very excited for the map rewrite and was wondering what sort of plans there are to expand the surface level in fort mode.  I understand when you embark you can change the grid size but currently you have to load all Z levels below the surface.  Has there been any thoughts to having 2 embark selections?  One for surface and one for the underground?  I can envision having a 25x25 surface fortress sprawling with hamlets, houses and temples while having a 3x3 underground area to mine out and explore.

Caldfir: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8531106#msg8531106
PatrikLundell: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8531130#msg8531130

I think the replies covered this one!  It's definitely one of the things we want to accomplish.

Quote from: DPh Kraken
1. The portraits look like they're set up to automatically apply the hundred-or-so raw colors for worn items and eyes, but I haven't seen them applied to any previews. Will there be palette support for layered graphics? Any new uses for palettes planned, like doing unit-colored clothing as a palleted graphic?

2. Adventure crafting is minimal without modded reactions, and thus end up running into unexpected limitations. Is it likely we will see any bugfixes for typical reaction pitfalls, like unwearable gloves or stacked/dimensioned reagents (bone, bars, globs, etc) in the April update?

1. Yeah, that's in now, generally.  You can define multiple custom palettes to use for it, and also use the default one.

2. No, not for the April update.  But April isn't the full update.  I'm not sure how things are going to go as we head for the full release.  There's going to be a lot coming at me.

Quote from: aSpatula66
Will human, elven, and goblin civilizations be given hairstyling options now that we're getting procedural portraits? Also, why don't elf sprites show their facial hair, and goblin sprites don't show their hair or facial hair? I did notice though that the goblin portrait examples showed hair, but not beards. Elves and goblins do have beards, so the sprites should probably show that.

I've added hairstyles for humans and elves.  Goblins are in an odd position since we have hair but they don't follow the existing styles, so everybody is still bald.  No idea about elf beards.  We have one drawn, but no style images for it, though I think elves will style them now in text.

Quote from: saharo
Any plans to make water a continuous requirement for farming (and other crafts)?
Several DF crafts depend - in their real-life counterparts - on having water: farming, brewing, cooking, dyeing, smithing, breeding, and I'm sure I'm missing some.
While df-irrigation is used to create farmable soil, farmers don't water their plants.

Eric Blank: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8531554#msg8531554
PatrikLundell: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8531820#msg8531820

The replies handled this - we certainly want water to be used in some more places.  Using it absolutely everywhere might be too much, just in terms of the amount of moving about or little cisterns or whatever that would need to be kept to keep the fort running, but adding a water requirement to several jobs would be fun I think.  We might need some more water gathering methods before we jump too far into that though, to keep more biomes viable.

Quote from: Urist McSadist
Do you plan attempting an in fort market economy again in the foreseeable future?

Ha ha, sure, but I have no idea when.

Quote from: Pillbo
I was looking into why buoyancy isn't a thing in the game and I haven't been able to find a post from you on the subject since August 2007:
The new fluids invalidated most of the old code.  Have water stop you when you jump into it so you don't go all the way down into the bottom is linked to density sink/float stuff, which I haven't done yet.  I'm not sure what I'll get to.  It'll either be done or get Req'd.

Other than that I saw lots of people make various comments about buoyancy being too hard, or implying you didn't want to implement it for some reason, but it's kinda hard to tell what is assumption, speculation, or accurate. 

So what is the deal with buoyancy and why hasn't it been included yet? If it is a technical issue what are the major problems?  Is it going to wait for boats?

Caldfir: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8532238#msg8532238

Yeah, it just hasn't come up strongly yet, as Caldfir says.  Although I'm sure there'd be a few funny side effects currently, as with water pressure.  I'm definitely pro buoyancy, and I imagine it'll come up with boats, yeah, though things are so stark we'll have to be careful.  It seems unavoidable that it'll be the situation that adding a single coin to a boat at some tipping point will cause it to sink one tile deeper, suddenly flooding the entire ship and sinking it.  It'll have to warn you about that.  But if a dragon gets on board and the boat is all on fire and also sinks that would be amusing.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5838 on: April 02, 2024, 02:47:43 pm »

Quote from: Digganob
Will caste requirements for different jobs/positions be introduced to civilizations at some point? This could have a lot of potential for modding, specifically. For instance, an insectoid civilization which has worker miners and soldier soldiers, or an amazonian kingdom which only allows females into the military and positions of power. I know this wouldn't be top priority, but is it on the easier side of things, or is it relegated to the "far future," if at all planned?

PatrikLundell: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8532449#msg8532449
DPh Kraken: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8532635#msg8532635
Digganob (op): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8532969#msg8532969

Yeah, it would be great if ant people worked correctly or were done at all in any way ha ha.  This had always been sitting out at the entity rewrite, when we could start respecting more types of civilizations.  Now that arcs are gone, it's more about the general vibe of how the magic stuff unfolds.  It'll take a while for us to see how it's going to be.

Quote from: FrankVill
A few days ago I began to imagine what would happen if Dwarf Fortress included the concept of evolution (ancient bones prove that the dwarf descended from the orangutan and things like that). It doesn't seem crazy given that DF aspires to be a very complete world simulator. But I see it as logical that you have not considered it because it is not something that is usually dealt with in the fantasy genre (books, movies...).
Have you ever thought about the possibility of treating evolution? If so, what reasons led you to rule it out?
Are there other similar things that you have considered and definitively ruled out for compelling reasons, such as technical, complexity or time limitations?

Oh sure, we've thought about it because we like critters.  There are several obstacles of course.  We'd need a better genetic model and a better creature definition that can float some more, and of course in pre-world-gen and beyond it'd need to model selection and mutation and that's a whole giant can of worms.  But there are little bits of it sitting around, like our terrible half-baked genetics stuff and the virtually unused breed concept that can handle appearance changes etc.  It would be cool to get into different types of cats and dogs and then expand that outward for instance.

Quote from: A_Curious_Cat
I was watching the interview with BlindIRL, and Tarn was talking about “weaponizing the Dew”.

Does that mean that there’s going to be a product placement partnership with PepsiCo?

ha ha we'd have to say no, but also have not been approached.  but once we have proper non water/magma fluids, I'm sure the Dew mod would be the least of our worries.

Quote from: stoyang
1. Given the recent tooling changes around how you build DF (eg version control, multiple branches) what do you think has changed in the way you think about development thanks to this new tooling? What has it enabled in your mind that you previously thought might be too difficult to tackle?

2. Follow up on the tooling, what other interesting tools or patterns have you considered or looked into? what about unit tests? fuzz testing? c++20 concepts?

Putnam: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8535067#msg8535067

I'll defer to Putnam's modern programming experience on #2 ha ha.

Generally, I think it's great to be able to work on a feature for a bit and then just leave it on ice and know the merge is probably gonna be not too bad.  And it allowed us to do 50.12 while adventure mode was already in progress which was great.  If there's just never a huge dead period again, and it looks like that's the case, that's pretty cool.  And it's more natural to just mess with some idea on a branch.

Quote from: bratok
1. When map export function from Legends Mode will be aviable?

2. Will there be updates regarding the NPCs and their social component? For example, I noticed such a thing that characters can serve in the same unit for many years, and still remain strangers to each other. Or, after a battle, the wounded are simply abandoned, and first of all everyone goes to get drunk in a bar. In general, the behavior of the characters in some places is not entirely logical, and I would like to know if you are planning any updates in this regard.

1. I'm not sure, but it wants to come back!  In terms of missing old features, adventure mode is the higher priority.  But the missing bits of legends mode are not forgotten.

2. Lackluster and/or inventively negligent childcare is a frequent complaint.  We're all for getting to this stuff.  It has tended to get better over time.

Quote from: eerr
Historically, you've played roguelike games, where your score was tallied at the end of the game.
Would a numeric representation of score fit in adventure mode?

Inarius: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8534399#msg8534399
Putnam: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8535067#msg8535067

The original conception of Dwarf Fortress had an adv mode high score of course, but it's expanded out beyond that now.  We've thought periodically about things like some sort of arena-type submode with contained map generation that could be good for us for testing algorithms but also provide a space for a quick dungeon dive.  Scores could fit there, but even in that case the heavily procedural element gives the scores dubious meaning.  It's possible though.

Quote from: Beag
1. In addition to healing potions will there be any other types of potions?
2. Years ago, ThreeToe's storys hinted as magical corruption being a possibility in the myth and magic arc, will that be coming in the new small updates format?
3. Will the player adventurer in the coming updates possibly gain paths to having more magical abilities like the necromancers and undead lieutenants have?
4. In some generated worlds will it be possible for the player to invoke a deity's powers by talking to them if they are in their favor enough? Possibility with the risk of incurring their wrath and getting cursed?
5. Will new divine curses be on the table for the coming updates?
6. When will the new forum be set up? I am of the understanding this may be one of the last future of the fortress question responses this site has.

Silverwing235: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8534775#msg8534775
FantasticDorf: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8534805#msg8534805

1. Not at first, but we are approaching the oh yes indeed era.
2. Yeah, it's in the mythgen prototype as well.  Side effects and downsides are part of the plan.
3. Yep, also part of the plan.
4. This sort of things should be in soon for the demigod type mode, and then be possible in the other modes as well with more or less effort.
5. Not sure!  Gonna have a direct line to a deity in some cases and if it turns out like most roguelikes, they will be very upsettable.
6. We're still going to be hosting the forum ourselves, and the posts should all be imported and everything identicalish.  Just going for https and to stave off the issue that risked the forum back in Feb/March.

Quote from: LanLan
When it comes to the healing methods you're implementing with the adventure mode release, how varied are they? Like, is it just a difference in ingredients, or are they going to distinguish between ingested/topical potions, and will healing sometimes have negative consequences?

Also, when you referred to 'killing the Big Wait dead,' does that mean updates are gonna be bringing features that would've otherwise been separated into arcs into the game independently of those arcs, or are the arcs still going to be a thing, but we'll see features of those arcs rolled out bit-by-bit?

Finally, will there be an option to auto-generate an adventure mode character?

At first, we'll probably be guided by existing implementation, which makes ingested (and spell-like interaction) more likely to start.  Of course the game gets more interesting when you can just place whatever substance on yourself, and we already have the system for that (as with forgotten beast syndrome blood that rots bare feet), so that's an avenue that's not too hard to take.

I think it's inevitable that we'll still focus on things for periods of time, but we're trying not to make those periods "26 months" ha ha.  But I also think we'll see a greater mixture of types of features.  With version control, I think we'll also see some features baking for longer and then suddenly appearing, regardless of what sort of features have been trickling in at the same time.

No auto generate option yet though I was thinking about that this morning ha ha, since it really is quite a lot of work to make characters and we already have something similar in fort mode.  But it won't be there initially.  Would be cool to just be like "spin me up a 4 character party" and it gives you a varied group to approve.

Quote from: Vaelwyn
1. I've been doing some research on the dwarf fortress wiki in preparation for the release and came across a list of power goals. It was very interesting to read, I understand that list is quite old and no longer up to date, but do these power goals still reflect your long-term vision of the game ?

2. More specifically, one of these goals mention the posibility for the live adventurer to have a wife, children and play our heir after death or retirement. It would leed to some amazing stories ! Is this feature still planed ?

FantasticDorf: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8535260#msg8535260

1. Ha ha yeah I'd argue they were always very weird, maybe a little weirder than the game was going to attain, ha ha.  But it's still not a terrible list mostly.

2. Yeah!  Having relationships and families is definitely still a goal.  Can't wait for your spouse to be like "it was inevitable."  Or some pure half-authored half-proc cringe.  It'll be great.

Quote from: ShiraKage
Will chopped off limbs have different sprites instead of classic ''flesh and bone'' sprites? Additionally, will we see visible injuries in characters' sprites without looking at the portraits? Seeing missing arms or legs would be cool! And minimal injuries wouldn't be shown at all or shown as a single red dot on the sprite.

Also, When I was looking at creatures on wiki, I saw that Nightwings don't have tails even though dwarves like them for their long tails. I think the error is occured because one and only nightwing drawing has no tail (And apparently they have ''tail'' part in combat menu). Is it gonna be fixed?

About myth and magic update. We know that some myths create cursed races. In one myth, goblins were cursed dwarves because dwarves destroyed some object and the god cursed 1/3 of them and turned them into goblins. So, this changes will be seen in the game too? For example in that world dwarves call goblins ''cursed one'' or various things and goblins blame them etc.

About procedural dragons. Will they come soon or are you waiting for magic system to be implemented to the game? If I remember correctly, procedural dragons were about ''this one will breathe ice, this one breathe fire'' etc. but with the magic system, will they be intelligent, talk and use magic?

Missing arms and legs in sprites for the layered creatures (dwarves/humans/etc.) are just a matter of data entry at this point.  Better chopped off limbs would be cool but we haven't drawn anything.  I remember in my combat video looking around for the severed guts, could have had a dedicated sprite ha ha ha.  Always more to do!

Huh I wonder how they have a tail in the combat menu if they don't have a tail?  Anyway, it's better when things are consistent.  Not sure when we'd get to it.

This is the hope!  It'll lag behind the technical implementation since it has to start there.

Procedural dragons were about implementing the txt file format, so I imagine this could wait to see how any scripting changes work out.  We're hoping to experiment with that at some point.

Quote from: falcc
If you assign some artifact gear from your fort to adventure mode characters in your military and then return to adventure mode, is there any sort of transfer of ownership?

Will anyone show up to look for it from your fort's civilization in play, or are they cool with it as long as you're bringing glory and death with your indestructible leather pants?

What if you sign up under another leader or found a faction in the wilderness, will anybody come to press that claim for your old citizens?

Is there any different kind of response if the artifact was gifted to the fort vs someone's family heirloom?

For that matter, are there any plans for dwarves whose family artifacts have been traded away to other civilizations to start scheming for their illicit recovery?

Eric Blank: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8535304#msg8535304

Hmm, I think all fort mode assignments retain the equipment as community property, with the player freely able to unassign, so all the artifact claims would still be on that basis if you start playing again.  It'd require a more explicit gift system, or you could appoint the adventurer to a position and then make the artifact a symbol maybe.

I don't recall off the top of my head if anybody pursues artifact claims now but villains?  There could be a quest to get it back if it's marked as lost but I don't recall if NPCs take those up, even in world gen.  There was some work in that direction but I don't remember how far it went.

The gift/heirloom status does matter generally.  Factions only set up quests/etc. for stuff that belongs to them, rather than an individual citizen.  If the individual citizen gets villain status, they'll also try to get their artifact back in certain contexts (like the artifact heist), and also in worldgen, but I don't think it made it to adv mode.

This was all part of the delayed villain stuff which is now fair to pursue in the near term of course!  Once the beta dust is settled and the full basic adv update is out.  Finishing the elements of the villains release means all the artifact pursuit questions being answered in the affirmative, I think.  Artifact movement and claims and grabbing was a simple traditional glue to hold a lot of it together.  But we got delayed, and now we're arriving back, with all the magic/army/etc. stuff mixed in.

Quote from: kontako
Is the current cordial treatment of intelligent-undead and experiments by the living-aligned and red-blooded as intended, or will they begin to be expelled by societies (with particular ethics) in the continuation of villains work?

Is there a difference in how demi-god characters will play / be treated if their patron is the target of a non-reformed or reformed religion? (i.e. with or without organised temples and priests)

Are there no item retrieval missions if a demi-god character is created at year 1 (due to no relics having been yet created in world-gen history), or might there be new collectables?

Yeah, we have some relevant ethics, so it should come up.  Handling the social side of things broadly has always been a part of myth/magic, and it's certainly a little weird now for everybody to be so chill with the living dead especially.  Experiments are also pretty terrifying though in a world with various animal people it all kind of goes together (but some humans should be afraid of animal people too at first probably, depending on how the world is.)

Once we get to improving the temple relic quests it'll likely make a difference yeah.  At first there won't be one.

There are likely to be some additional primordial options along the lines of the existing titan shrines and vaults, since those are pretty rough.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: April 02, 2024, 06:51:40 pm »

Great replies Toady One!

I have a question:

With regards to the new forums, are you planning on just updating bay12forums.com to use https (i.e. https://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php), or are you planning on moving the forums so that they are under bay12games.com (e.g. http://www.bay12games.com/smf/index.php or http://www.bay12games.com/forums/index.php) in order to take advantage of the fact that bay12games.com is already set up to use https?  If the latter, Is there anything that'll be done to avoid breaking links on other websites (I know you can just have the main page of the old forums redirect to the new forums, but can the server be set up so that, if someone tries to directly access a specific post on the old forums, it'll automatically redirect them to the same post on the new forums)?

Now, if you don't mind, I see something that needs to go in the "Out of context and funny quotes thre...

Damnit, Bumber!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: April 03, 2024, 01:30:34 pm »

Thanks Toady! And thanks for the new quote to add to my signature.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: April 12, 2024, 07:46:51 am »

Is Dwarf Fortress officially now just Dwarf Fortress or is it still officially Slaves to Armok God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress, or is the latter just for the free ASCII version?

Will you ever publish any more crayon art? Do you ever bust the crayons out when conceptualising new features, creatures or objects?

I feel like the crayon art was a part of the extended aesthetic of Dwarf Fortress and I kind of miss it.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: April 12, 2024, 07:51:08 am »

Can't speak for Toady, but I think i remember him saying crayon drawing would end when Steam Release

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: April 12, 2024, 08:28:43 am »

Can't speak for Toady, but I think i remember him saying crayon drawing would end when Steam Release

Yeah, more of AIUI, a "side-hobby that ran into demand and supply issues" kind of thing.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: April 13, 2024, 02:20:50 am »

Personally I wouldn't mind if they'd scan drawings and posted them in a thread, something similar to the Threetoe stories. That would, of course, rely on them being interested in occasionally drawing something.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: April 14, 2024, 10:32:40 am »

Someone should recreate Toady's style with Midjourney :)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: April 15, 2024, 02:36:43 am »

hmm having now thought about this if premium adv mode is getting a soundtrack is the classic build of adv mode going to stay silent or is there going to be like a toadyone original adv mode classic track for that also?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

TranquilRiverGiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: April 15, 2024, 05:36:03 am »

Are there plans to implement schisms / civil wars as part of the villains arc? It would make sense that parts of the kingdom may rebel against a usurper. It may also help prevent snowballing in worldgen. It would also be interesting if the different sides had opposing preferences, like blue vs red clothing or cow symbols vs eagle symbols, different religious sects...

Very excited for Adventure mode to come out. Hoorah!  :)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: April 16, 2024, 12:26:13 am »

Are there plans to implement schisms / civil wars as part of the villains arc? It would make sense that parts of the kingdom may rebel against a usurper. It may also help prevent snowballing in worldgen. It would also be interesting if the different sides had opposing preferences, like blue vs red clothing or cow symbols vs eagle symbols, different religious sects...

Very excited for Adventure mode to come out. Hoorah!  :)
so the kicker to this the insurrection aspect of world sim/gen does lead to this but I also don't think this prevents snowballing as one sub-faction who made a peace treaty with one faction could get overthrown by another sub-faction who could just go back to conquering the world again, you kinda don't see this in fort mode as you're playing an hive mind controlling a small outpost miles away from the politics and back stabbings, but in adv mode if you ask the local nobles about the political powers and what not they will talk about the different parties vying for control of that civ.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

TranquilRiverGiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: April 16, 2024, 02:35:07 am »

so the kicker to this the insurrection aspect of world sim/gen does lead to this but I also don't think this prevents snowballing as one sub-faction who made a peace treaty with one faction could get overthrown by another sub-faction who could just go back to conquering the world again, you kinda don't see this in fort mode as you're playing an hive mind controlling a small outpost miles away from the politics and back stabbings, but in adv mode if you ask the local nobles about the political powers and what not they will talk about the different parties vying for control of that civ.

I guess there's a difference in my mind between a schism and an insurrection being that the latter doesn't lead to fragmentation of the civilization, it just leads to one sub-faction leading the whole, while the former does lead to the fragmentation of the civilization into multiple new civilizations. I'm mostly curious about the former then, and I think it would prevent snowballing via a fragmentation. Just to clarify.
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392