Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 179762 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #540 on: August 12, 2019, 08:23:16 am »

Speaking of Switch, playing the new fire emblem.   Its pretty good, I think I'm still relatively early in the story, no idea how long it is but I'm on 'part one' so who knows

Dont really trust that after MGSV's part 2 mostly just being rehashed old missions.

Intrigued by the story
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 12, 2019, 09:42:54 am »

Not exactly;  You can cheese it after lots of grass-cut grinding to get some fairies, then rush to a great fairy fountain with 100R. Those are reliable spawn points for fairies.

So far, the plan has been to rush the above, and then stock up on hearty durians and iron mushrooms. (I have actually gone bombing crazy on forests, just to force bloodmoons, so that durians respawn on the trees.) I still only have 4 native heart containers, but 5 hearty durians gives you +20 temp hearts, and those persist after snacking on a 5-ironshroom mushy skewer.  Those are holding me while I rush the other fairy fountains.

(I am still dreading having to face off with lynels to fully upgrade all my armor sets though.)

Forgot about fairies, and those would definitely help.  In your position though, unless fully upgrading your clothes was explicitly part of the challenge I probably wouldn't bother with the lynels.  They're a lot of risk for comparatively marginal gains, since the bosses and even Ganon hit for less if I remember right.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 12, 2019, 12:21:48 pm »

Speaking of Switch, playing the new fire emblem.   Its pretty good, I think I'm still relatively early in the story, no idea how long it is but I'm on 'part one' so who knows
The game is... large. And it has a lot of different story route options, encouraging you to replay it a bunch of times, so it's arguably two to three times bigger than a single playthrough would suggest.

I myself have only just reached part two of my first playthrough, which is about halfway through a single campaign. And my playtime already totals 50 hours.
Save me.

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 12, 2019, 01:00:20 pm »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:45:38 am by catacombs »

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 12, 2019, 01:01:49 pm »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:45:45 am by catacombs »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 12, 2019, 03:59:19 pm »

I enjoyed the Game Boy games but didn't know it was coming out for Switch. What has been the consensus on it?
Positive on the whole, with quite excellent reviews all around. As for criticism, there have been all kinds of complaints from the more vocal members of the FE community, but the complaint most often repeated is that when replaying the game, the first half of your campaign will be very samey because important decisions and events only kick in about halfway through. However, considering a single playthrough will take around 30 hours if you're rushing like mad and up to around 80 hours if you're patient, you're probably still getting your money's worth even if you don't bother playing the other routes.

Personal consensus thus far: It feels slower than the old GBA games I played, mainly because the chillaxPersonaMode/story parts are emphasized and break up the strategy gameplay in a big way, but I didn't really mind it because the characters have been one of my favorite parts of the game. If you really hate that Persona-style-visual-novel-kinda-not-really-dating-sim stuff, you might be put off, but otherwise the story is engaging, the characters are fun, and it's pretty enjoyable on the whole.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 13, 2019, 03:55:13 pm »

I am revisiting BoTW, in a hardcore "No deaths allowed" run.  Ive had to restart about 6 times, but am doing much better this run.

Playing like that would scare the shit out of me.

So, you're saying that if you get about 10 hours into a run, and you die, then you restart from the beginning?

Pretty much, yup.  I want to see if I can actually beat the game without dieing even once.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 14, 2019, 09:10:22 am »

Its good.  Im gonna go out on a limb and say unless it gets substantially harder, its easier than sacred stones.  Im on normal classic and by december year one I've outleveled the story content by at least a couple levels.  Its pretty rare i have to use the timewarp ability even once, and I've got six uses per battle.  Weapon triangle seems nerfed, even in sacred stones o remember it being nigh suicidal to attack on the wrong end of the triangle

Characters are fun though, i mostly enjoy the college interludes.  Fave characters are hilda, lorenz, claude, and leonie, haven't given the other houses the time of day really.  Maybe i should though, if my predictions are right about the story paths i can choose, i need to divest the religious characters and focus harder on the more secular or mercenary characters.  (No spoilers please)

Going all in on romancing manuela, the only real choice.  Dont fuck students.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:13:56 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 14, 2019, 01:39:32 pm »

National Relaxation Day tomorrow, means there's the E-Z Win curated daily challenge for Binding of Isaac.

If those count, that should be the last one I need to finally get the "5-win streak in daily runs" for the achievement and unlock.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 14, 2019, 10:52:31 pm »

Its good.  Im gonna go out on a limb and say unless it gets substantially harder, its easier than sacred stones.  Im on normal classic and by december year one I've outleveled the story content by at least a couple levels.  Its pretty rare i have to use the timewarp ability even once, and I've got six uses per battle.  Weapon triangle seems nerfed, even in sacred stones o remember it being nigh suicidal to attack on the wrong end of the triangle

Characters are fun though, i mostly enjoy the college interludes.  Fave characters are hilda, lorenz, claude, and leonie, haven't given the other houses the time of day really.  Maybe i should though, if my predictions are right about the story paths i can choose, i need to divest the religious characters and focus harder on the more secular or mercenary characters.  (No spoilers please)

Going all in on romancing manuela, the only real choice.  Dont fuck students.
The weapon triangle actually doesn't exist in Three Houses, unless you have one of the Breaker skills like Swordbreaker, Axebreaker, etc.
The game does get harder, though if you spam battles you'll probably still continue to outlevel the enemies, and yes, Divine Pulse has... probably too many charges. Apparently they're planning a Lunatic difficulty and possibly even one above that, which will be added in later updates.

You can in fact "steal" students from other houses (as the game has likely informed you), but this is only if you care to. You can absolutely get through the game without doing this, but if there's a character outside of your chosen house that you like, feel free to invest time in getting support levels with them so they'll join you.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 15, 2019, 03:28:05 am »

After reading a bunch of Sci-Fi, I've had the bug to play Masters of Orion II again.

Dear god, even though the game's over 20 years old, it still offers solid hours of genuine enjoyment.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 15, 2019, 03:34:54 am »

good games dont need overdone graphics. Just solid suspension of disbelief, and engaging content.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 15, 2019, 04:02:31 am »

good games dont need overdone graphics. Just solid suspension of disbelief, and engaging content.
And a giant laser beam that obliterates entire planets.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 15, 2019, 11:27:02 am »

And a giant laser beam that obliterates entire planets.

And you only stole that technology to immediately use it on the homeworld of the people you stole it from.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 15, 2019, 12:32:13 pm »

National Relaxation Day tomorrow, means there's the E-Z Win curated daily challenge for Binding of Isaac.

If those count, that should be the last one I need to finally get the "5-win streak in daily runs" for the achievement and unlock.

It counts! 5-run marathon completed with extreme prejudice! August 15th is definitely the day to cap off 4 hard-earned wins with...
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 100