Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 179746 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #1410 on: August 24, 2023, 09:01:13 am »

It's short for Boss Cells, apparently. It's less that you get more cavemen when you're better, and more that the more cavemen you have, the harder the game tries to murder you. It doesn't appreciate your neanderthal harem.
You know, it's funny - I went back and forth on writing a post explaining what BCs were. In the end I decided that Iduno was probably just going for the joke, rather than actually curious what they were.

But yes, each time you manage to make it all the way to the end boss, you basically open up a New Game+ mode (and then to a New Game++, and so on) which changes up the enemy balance, number of enemies, etc. to make things more difficult.

As a bonus for playing at the higher levels, they also increase the number of cells you earn (which are used to unlock items/powers/skins), as well as making the weapons you find and can buy more powerful (although that's directly countered by the fact that you need that additional power to deal with the harder enemies.)

Even at the base difficulty, the game is hard. Once you start adding Boss Cells, it gets punishing.

On Topic - I've also been playing Baldur's Gate 3, both single player and in a two-player party. I'm only still in the first (non-tutorial) area, but they've really done an amazing job. Graphics are great, good voice work, combat's sufficiently difficult and allows/encourages non-obvious solutions (like setting oil on fire, or pushing a difficult enemy off a cliff), and the map appears to be absolutely massive, with all kinds of side-quests and points of interest.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: August 24, 2023, 01:55:11 pm »

I've been playing more Train Valley 2 to relax. I just solved a "build no bridges" map by (at significant expense) cutting through one of the cities I was serving. I had to run the train past the stop, stop it, switch tracks, and reverse it. Fiddly, but it probably saved a bit of time, so I made the 13.5 minute timer by a dozen or so seconds.

The next level is the first time I've seen the "stop no trains" challenge.

Edit: Just lost twice in a row by accidentally clicking on a train as it passed while trying to build more tracks.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 04:51:13 pm by Iduno »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: August 27, 2023, 10:20:09 am »

Baldur's Gate 3, had more money in my account than I'd realised so I went ahead and bought it. Probably ask for money on Christmas to make up for it too, so I'm basically buying it on reverse-credit.

Weirdly, I'm struggling with the characters a bit and I think it's just that having to do four separate character/class builds is proving difficult.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: August 30, 2023, 04:27:59 pm »

It's the weekend, so I feel obligated to play some more Lifeweb.

I know it's been quite a while since this post, but the thread is active and you're still on the forum, so I thought I'd ask (I realize that the SS13 topic may be a more suitable place for this, but I don't feel like necroing a thread for a single question): do you, as an insider, have any information regarding the next wave of applications and when it may occur?  I've been fascinated with the concept of the server and whatever gameplay footage there is for months now; it just seems like such a unique and interesting experience!  Shame it's this closed, though I do understand why that's necessary.
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: September 03, 2023, 08:29:21 pm »

Just started playing Grand Tactican : American Civil War with the new DLC.  And I think the game called me fat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: September 04, 2023, 08:28:56 pm »

For years, I had mistaken Path of Exile for Path of Diablo, but just found out it is an actual game in its own right; and whoops, there went the Labor Day weekend.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: September 06, 2023, 05:47:43 pm »

The Matchless Kungfu

Punching and kicking wild animals to slowly train my kung fu skills was growing a bit tedious, so I decided to try learning directly from other martial artists instead. Of course, they have to like me enough before they are willing to teach me anything. And thus I found solace in the Unwritten Rule of Acquisition: Exploitation Begins at Home. Several of my family members and blood relatives already liked me a lot, so I began pressing each of them to teach me all their secrets.

Once I had learned all I could at home, I began looking for more knowledge from random strangers. I found several business entrepreneurs who were seeking loans, which I gave them. They were so grateful for the investment that they immediately agreed to teach me every trick they knew. And some days later, most of these investments actually paid off with generous returns!

Seeking more ways to appease random strangers, I began talking to various people about their jobs and hobbies. They appreciated the conversation, but not enough to share their secrets with me. It would take weeks of such conversations to make any headway. Then I found a flirtatious man and whispered a few sweet words in his ear; he liked that a lot. He liked it almost enough to share his secrets with me. I planned to come back the next day and flirt some more, which should be enough for him to open up to me.

Before my plans could come to fruition, the flirtatious man tracked me down and demanded that I marry him. I tried to decline, but the man became aggressive, threatening violence. He was considerably stronger than me, and there were no friendly guards around to come to my aid, so I reluctantly agreed to the union. I was already planning out how I would poison him in his sleep...after I had learned everything he could teach me, of course.

Knowing kung fu skills is only half the battle; the other half is epic weapons! I decided the explore a village I had recently discovered, which had a Forge and several nearby iron deposits. After crafting a bunch of swords and knives, I kept the best of the batch for myself and sold the rest to anyone who would take them. This left my pockets bulging with more money than I'd ever seen before! And I knew from experience that if I left town with that much money, Bandits would soon find me and liberate me of my coin. So I began roaming the town, looking for merchants with useful crafting ingredients or recipes I could buy.

Before I could spend much of my coin, a friendly townsperson intercepted me with a warning that bandits were already targeting me, and a stern suggestion that I should entrust most of my money with the townsperson, who would keep it safe for me. Of course I saw through this blatant attempt at exploitation and refused, but they became insistant and aggressive. I knew that if I refused a second time I would be attacked; but the townsperson was a bit weaker than me, and I really did not want to part with my hard earned coin, so I refused again and let them attack me. To my dismay nearly half the people in town decided to side with my attacker, assisting him in the battle. By the second exchange it was clear that if I continued to fight I would be killed, so I conceded. My attacker did not take my coin, deciding to instead break my leg and toss me in a cage. Healing a broken leg actually costs only a fraction of the coin sum the man had demanded, so I decided to chalk this one up as a win.

I could easily pick the lock on the cage, but there was a jailer watching, and I would have difficulty fighting him with my leg broken. Fortunately, at this very moment my Spouse decided to show up and fight the guard on my behalf; I may have to reconsider my plan to poison him. Once the guard was knocked out I was able to make my escape and limp away. I did not get very far before a chivalrous citizen intercepted, scooped me up, carried me to the nearest clinic and even gave me some coin for treatment. I did not need the coin of course, still having my riches from before, but it was nice to see that there are kindhearted people in this city as well.

Unfortunately the Doctor at this clinic was too drunk to treat me, or any of the other injured people accumulating in his waiting room. There really are all kinds of people in this world. I was forced to limp all the way to the next city over, where a more competent and sober Doctor was able to mend my broken leg.

The journey continues...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 06:48:50 pm by Folly »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: September 10, 2023, 04:24:24 am »

Hm, clearly not The Matchless Kungfu for you!
I might have to check this out. Sounds like Kenshi and Amazing Cultivation Simulator crossover event!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: September 10, 2023, 08:51:00 am »

I know it's been quite a while since this post, but the thread is active and you're still on the forum, so I thought I'd ask (I realize that the SS13 topic may be a more suitable place for this, but I don't feel like necroing a thread for a single question): do you, as an insider, have any information regarding the next wave of applications and when it may occur?  I've been fascinated with the concept of the server and whatever gameplay footage there is for months now; it just seems like such a unique and interesting experience!  Shame it's this closed, though I do understand why that's necessary.

I used to obsess over SS13 in the BYOND prime but I haven't heard of this one or really realized SS13 had such an active fanbase. Googling around it looks like an RP-heavy fantasy version of SS13? Neat.

I need to drop in a SS13 server but I'm afraid of the people who dedicate themselves to that game. The communities I feel like were always very...hit or miss.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: September 11, 2023, 07:31:57 pm »

Continuing BG3, really enjoying it. Just finished Act 2 as the Dark Urge. In a relationship with Karlach, and honestly I don't think I've cared about video game characters as much as this game since the Last of Us games.

I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: September 11, 2023, 08:10:27 pm »

Starfield. All of my ships have asteroids that are permanently stuck a fixed distance away from them, what was supposed to be my ultimate flagship is permanently named "Derelict <Base Name>", I had to rollback a save because there's an irritating oversight that makes shipjacking incredibly tedious and the main place you would go to try and sidestep it triggers gamebreaking bugs when you try to sell ships there.

I love the game but it's so Bethesda it's gross.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: September 11, 2023, 11:33:07 pm »

Beat Hoarah Loux — I think I’m a bit overleveled, because it definitely didn’t take as many attempts as it should have. Good fight, although the way he stays on your tail the whole way through the second phase is a bit annoying.

(Elden Ring)
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: September 12, 2023, 06:34:29 am »

Anyone know how to get worms in The Matchless KungFu?
They appear as a resource on the map screen, but I can't figure it out.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: September 20, 2023, 07:44:24 am »

I haven't played Lifeweb for years, and wasn't involved in the community (inasmuch as there even is one, given the strict restrictions on talking about the game out-of-game) even when I was semi-active there. Afraid I can't help with any news regarding the thing.

It's... It's absolutely a unique and interesting experience, I'll definitely give it that. There's a huge amount of style and atmosphere that drips with menace and hints of the deeper mysteries behind.

However, it's also ludicrously unintuitive and utterly unforgiving. If you weren't logged in for the very start of the match (and sometimes even if you were), you spawn as a migrant out in the caves. You take one step forward onto what looks to be solid ground, because you're not aware that the subtly darker shading indicates that the tile is a z-level down, and you fall to your death within a minute of the game starting (or your torch runs out before you reach the city/you can't figure out how to make one, and the world is plunged into darkness, resulting in falling and dying somewhere else).

You might be fortunate enough to rise later as a skinless and attempt to kill the living souls wandering around, but this usually just means you'll die again within a few steps thanks to the other wildlife out there. Or someone simply bashing your head in thanks to how slow you are. Now you get to just wait out the rest of the 30-40 minute round, without even observing things because even ghosts are restricted in the game.

Maybe you got lucky and did spawn in at round start! But since you're new to the game, you grab one of the "easy" classes like a serving girl in the baron's manor. Your primary job is to just run around cleaning up dirt with a bucket and a rag. You spawn with a bucket in the room, and easy access to a water source.

You do not spawn with a rag. Nowhere in the servant's chambers is there a free rag. Nothing else works for this chore. If you don't perform your duties, the baron will either execute you so you die immediately, or have you shuffled off into the Lifeweb to be locked inside your own body for a while before finally dying (and then your ghost gets trapped in a labyrinth because it's the Lifeweb).

You fumble your way around the interaction menus and come upon the brilliant idea of trying to tear a strip of cloth off your clothes. This will look promising and your character will attempt it, but the action will never ever succeed because your skinny little orphan arms are too weak to tear clothing. You pick up the pair of scissors in the room in the hopes that it'll help, guess blindly at the interaction menu since it doesn't tell you a damn thing, stab yourself in the leg, get infected, and die.

Next round! You roll up as a farmer instead, and dedicate your life to pooping in a bucket. The merchant who owns you comes by to whip you because you don't make enough tomatoes and the ones you do grow are terrible quality (you do not know what causes this). The wounds get infected, and you die.

Try again! This time the merchant is off getting high and ignores you for the entire round. You're quietly tending to your garden when the church bells ring out; looks like the bishop is trying to arrange a prayer to God-in-Coma. Attendance is mandatory; you either follow the group and activities or you get executed as a heretic. The ritual starts, and you are commanded to shed blood from your hand as part of the prayer. You do so, the prayer takes longer than usual because the congregation isn't pious enough (you do not know what this means or what affects it), and once it's over the nun is too busy to treat your hand. You get infected and die.

One more time! You try a gravedigger instead, and miraculously manage to innately understand the absolutely arcane combat system, and instinctively select the correct settings for grip, intent, targeting zone and attack style (and weren't fucked by RNG on your character's strength), allowing you to successfully knock out the hobo NPC with a sneak attack, allowing you to feed the Lifeweb and keep it running for a little while longer so you can keep your head attached to the rest of your body. Whoops! Turns out the captain of the guard was a cultist and spotted you while you were walking through one of the alleyways to work, so you have been thoroughly slapped and then eviscerated in sacrifice to Tchernobog.

Aaaand... That's the weekend over folks, see you next week! Also if you try and help anyone learn how to actually do things, your account will be permanently banned from ever accessing the game again and you'll have to create a new account and pay the new-account fee in order to join up and try again.

Eventually that whole culture just ruined the cool stuff for me. And that's ignoring the pedophilia and sexual assault side of things.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: September 21, 2023, 07:50:13 am »

So, after learning Geomancy, I'm now stealing stuff to sell so I can buy more pills. I didn't realize I was playing the Amazing Drug Addict Simulator!

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 100