Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 181061 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #1440 on: October 06, 2023, 04:35:16 am »

There is a sort of in-game way to check what materials do: show them to the Guide. Let him hold any item with the material tag and he will show you a list of everything that can be crafted from that item, the other materials needed for that item, and he will even tell you which crafting furniture to use.

It's not perfect. He won't tell you how to acquire those other materials, and if the resulting item is also a material he won't tell you what can be done with that (not until it is in his hands, anyway). But short of tabbing over to a browser with the wiki open it's the best source of crafting information in the game.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: October 06, 2023, 04:59:59 am »

Oh neat. I'll give that a shot. He's currently just keeping the forest pylon active with a cat and a slime.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: October 06, 2023, 09:19:48 am »

I've been trying to go in relatively blind, but I do occasionally look up /why/ something is labelled as a material, as well as some advice on what to keep (silt/slush, any accessory) for later useage.
I assume you probably already know this, but both silt and slush can be fed into a Extractinator - a building which, if I remember correctly, can be found in chests or sometimes set up in ruins. Take a stack of slush and it'll turn into a small pile of copper and silver coins, as well as some metal ores.

Its main use is that those ores can be ones that aren't 'native' to your world - so even if your world has tin instead of copper, or lead instead of iron, you might still get copper/iron ore from processing slush.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: October 06, 2023, 12:51:47 pm »

It's not perfect. He won't tell you how to acquire those other materials, and if the resulting item is also a material he won't tell you what can be done with that (not until it is in his hands, anyway). But short of tabbing over to a browser with the wiki open it's the best source of crafting information in the game.
Second best :P

Recipe browser is like the guide in your pocket, except with even more functionality. There's still occasionally times you probably end up going to a wiki to find stuff out (some mods in particular have odd spawning or drop conditions), but mostly the browser is all you need.

E: The real hot shit with crafting is turning on magic storage's recursion, though. Trying to make a bottle but don't have glass? Turn that on and if you got the sand and the furnace it'll make the glass for you when you hit craft. It's a seriously helpful quality of life feature, especially if you're doing other crazy mod stuff that adds more involved recipes than vanilla sees. Even without the recursion on, you can right click on a recipe component you don't have, and if it's makeable, it'll take you to the crafting prompt for that item. It's just, so, so much more user friendly than the vanilla system, heh.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 12:56:34 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: October 07, 2023, 02:01:44 pm »

I've been running through games on Epic I grabbed, but never got around to trying, because I got stuck at a puzzle in Train Valley 2 where I'm not even sure how to get a track from a building to any area accessible by anything else without having to resort to a guide *again*. I enjoyed the game up until all of the puzzles became "you'll never guess how to connect this building to anything so you can start trying to do the logistics stuff the game is based around, because we intentionally made it difficult to read the terrain. Fuck you." Puzzle games (and some others from all genres) love making the "what am I supposed to do? what are the rules? a puzzle that you need to solve before you can solve the actual puzzle, because it's easier than making something clever. Or they're just bad at communicating.

The Forest Quartet: puzzle game. Pretty. I got stuck at a puzzle where I have 6 poles that I can rotate, which spins 3 different levels of balls. Sometimes that balls line up facing a direction if you spin them long enough (usually several minutes). I'm probably supposed to line them all up in a particular way, but don't know what way, have no way of knowing if I got one or more correct, and got tired of waiting for even a single one to get lined up nicely. Including the 10 minutes trying to figure out this puzzle, I'm around 15 minutes into the game, and don't feel anything keeping me interested.

Out of line: platformer with some puzzles. Figured out the things on the ground that I can jam the spear into are supposed to be levers when the spear is in there, and control platforms. Now I'm on one with a partner who can hit a button for me if I do the right thing while using the lever. I've also trial-and-errored myself into know which spots are for them only and which ones are for me only. One spot I can put their platform spins 2 spiked platforms. They are perpendicular to one another, so I can't get them both at a usable angle, and one side is covered in spikes so the best angle also kills me. I can maybe figure out something so I get stuck on the next puzzle instead, but not being able to tell where I could and could not go without dying repeatedly already frustrated me enough that I need a break.

Black Books: it looks like a deck-builder so far, with choices affecting how you progress through the game. Looks like I'm going to damn my own soul to save my beloved from hell. Metal.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: October 12, 2023, 05:53:07 am »

I am currently playing Core Keeper, it's heavily Terraria inspired, top down, and so far a lot of fun. Still early access, with regular updates and already plenty of content to keep you building. It also has some conveyor belts and automation.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: October 12, 2023, 09:42:40 pm »

Playing Distant Worlds again, and what I've done this time is removed any hyperdrives, aside from the warp bubble generator. The one with a speed less than 1/5th that of the most basic hyperdrive.

It makes a more ponderous, logistics-focused game. The energy used by the drive combined with its low speed means that ships have very limited range, but this makes power plant techs super important for increasing efficiency. It also means that you have to set up resupply stations all over the place so exploration ships can explore, and any ships following the colonisation wave can make it between colonies without having to turn back halfway or risk running empty.

Some resources are also rarer and more difficult to get around. I'm running into a chromium and aculon crunch because I've got *one* planet that produces chromium, and only a few aculon planets. Then the civilian ships take a long time to transport the goods between colonies, stations, ships etc.

It's definitely interesting.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: October 13, 2023, 01:47:08 am »

Gotta give another shoutout to Starship Troopers: Extermination.

Since I last posted about it shortly after launch I've sunk over 600 hours into ST:E, and I'm still going strong with the 'Joint Space Force' Steam group. Today they dropped a big update with a new Hive game mode, and lots of new guns and utilities to play with! Now is a great time to join up or return!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: October 13, 2023, 11:09:54 am »

I've been playing a bunch of Dead Cells recently, mostly on New Game++ mode, although occasionally dialing the difficulty back to base and winning a game here and there, just to prove to myself my skills actually are getting better.

It really is one of the best roguelike-Metroidvania games I've ever played. The excellent musical score, amazingly responsive controls, huge variety of weapons, challenging bosses - the developers have really just put everything together in an amazingly tight package.

Props on the longevity of support, too - the game came out 2018, and there's a new free content patch that just entered beta testing this week.

Hollow Knight might have it beat for straight-up Metroidvania experience, and I probably like Slay the Spire or Dungeons of Dredmor for more traditional roguelike fare; but if I want to just spend half an hour trying out a new combination of weapons/mutations, running through levels and killing dudes (and probably dying horribly), Dead Cells is my go-to.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 11:20:28 am by AlStar »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: October 15, 2023, 10:52:54 pm »

Doing a lot of Project Zomboid, mostly with a ton of mods, including "Inventory Tetris", a bunch of new weapons and clothing, a mod that allows players to trip over zombie bodies, and a mod that allows zombies to do the same. Been starting in March Ridge each time (again, courtesy of a mod) with Normal zombie population, and I think my goal is to make it into and clean out each city on the in-game map (probably an impossible task, but you gotta aim high, right?).

It's a pretty fun time, even if I don't survive very long (longest so far is 10 days).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: October 16, 2023, 12:11:03 am »

Played a good chunk of Cult of the Lamb last night. Overall still pretty much the same game as around release, with a bit more Quality of Life. My interest kind of petered out around the same point though, so maybe there's more to the end game that I haven't gotten to. I could probably, it's a very easy game to play.

Also playing some Stoneshard. It's definitely a smoother experience than it used to be, I'm overflowing with cash, repairs are easy to stay on top of and the enemies feel fairly balanced for where you're at in the beginning of the game. My biggest need is storage space right now because I have so much stuff. I'm hung up on one part of the quest that I know there's an alternate solution for but I don't want to look it up yet. Stoneshard is just such a cozy RPG. The charming pixel grahpics, the earthy vibe of being out in the rain in the dark, your cloak protecting your gear from rusting, your pack loaded with food, water, bandages and painsalves, bandits on the road to your right, wolves to your left, combat being fast and escalating in lethality quickly.....it's just a very wholesome experience now that they've whittled the world down to a more manageable size and the challenges don't feel like brick walls.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 12:17:11 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: October 16, 2023, 06:09:18 pm »

Been playing Vintage Story again to pretty much the exclusion of all else for the past few weeks. First map I created got dead-ended after a few days due to a huge lack of bronze-making materials. There was bismuth, but no zinc, let alone tin. A few more maps had to be rejected for similar reasons.

Found a map that I liked, as I had plenty of tin where I settled. Discovered something I've never seen before: hot springs. Not sure what they're for besides burning things trying to swim in them to death. Also managed to secure a resource I've tried and failed many times to find before: bees. I've got more wax than I have uses for now, since I have six skeps with 80-100+ flowers around each. Took me a decently long time to find iron, about 1000-2000 blocks south of my base. Took a lot longer, including flying in creative mode for 10k blocks in each direction before finding limestone(for leather production, isn't for steel) about 4000 blocks south, also finding bauxite(is for steel) many thousands of blocks away in the east and west. Didn't find any borax(required before I can work steel), but the propick said there's traces near the limestone, so there's still a chance to find it. Otherwise the entire world seems to be made of Andesite, Granite, and Peridotite(in that order).

It's mid-October in the game(as well as the time of this post).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: October 21, 2023, 09:36:26 am »

After years of playing it is finally happening:

Love, scriver~

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: October 22, 2023, 02:13:06 am »

What's happening?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: October 22, 2023, 04:47:49 am »

I'm nearing the ship with my colony, the original end goal of the game is to get there and escape the planet
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 100