Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 111698 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #330 on: July 01, 2019, 01:58:47 pm »

For reals though folks everything that Esme has told us can be confirmed by killing rando faceless baddies and extracting their memories. Why do we want to kill our allies out of thin air so badly?
..because many players might not even do that?

Devastator is correct. It was just me, and I've abandoned that tactic.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 01, 2019, 02:35:01 pm »

Well, if we do kill people we should take their memories.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 01, 2019, 02:40:40 pm »

Oh, yeah, I think I misread your action there. Meesa Sorry.

Anyway yeah we are apparently going after some government goons soon and I wholly endorse the idea of practicing the successful absorption of memories from these guys.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 01, 2019, 03:19:56 pm »

Oh, yeah, I think I misread your action there. Meesa Sorry.

Anyway yeah we are apparently going after some government goons soon and I wholly endorse the idea of practicing the successful absorption of memories from these guys.
Agreed. We should take memories of those we kill, which is why practicing it on rats is a good idea, so we know how to do it when we kill people

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #334 on: July 04, 2019, 01:27:56 pm »

Continue the forgery-getting process.

While documents are being forged, find more dying rats and practice extracting their memories when they die.

+1
+1
+1
You ask Esme if it would be ok to walk out into the alley and look around for rats. You explain that you want to try out extracting memories from them.

"Going out in broad daylight without papers, especially after we were just hassled, seems dangerous. If they pick you up and you don't have papers, they'll drag you off and start looking into your history. As far as we know you don't have one but...they have access to things we don't. I don't know what they can pull from your ring or appearance or anything else. Even if they didn't pick you up...the people around here would probably remember the man scrabbling around looking for rats in the alley"

She taps her foot for a moment while thinking.

"How about we get a chicken instead? Or a hamster or some other kind of small animal that we can buy without attracting too much interest?"

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 04, 2019, 02:26:55 pm »

Sounds good. I just need some animals to practice the memory extractions, it doesn't matter which type.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 05, 2019, 02:49:29 am »

Sounds good. I just need some animals to practice the memory extractions, it doesn't matter which type.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 05, 2019, 12:42:17 pm »

+1
+1

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 05, 2019, 12:56:30 pm »

+1
+1

+1

Let's go a step further. Show the chicken something it will recognize, then do the deed. See if we can extract the specific memory of say, a red-and-yellow polka-dotted ball, or an image of a painting. Something unique that it may not be able to understand but will have a clear picture of in its mind. Then we can gauge/improve our skill at, say, searching a memory set for specific information.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 05, 2019, 01:26:40 pm »

+1
+1

+1

Let's go a step further. Show the chicken something it will recognize, then do the deed. See if we can extract the specific memory of say, a red-and-yellow polka-dotted ball, or an image of a painting. Something unique that it may not be able to understand but will have a clear picture of in its mind. Then we can gauge/improve our skill at, say, searching a memory set for specific information.
+1 for this addition to the plan

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #340 on: July 06, 2019, 08:33:44 pm »

Esme leaves for a time and you're left sitting in silence with Bruce and Mary.  Bruce returns to his work, scratching and cutting and carefully laying on layers of thin plastic and holographic film. Mary slips away into the kitchen and seems to be busying herself with making food. You sit on the bed for a bit before getting up and picking up the undead rat. It sits in your hand like a firm beanbag, occasionally squirming but mostly just looking at you as best it can with the flopping head. You try to connect to it like you do to the others and it isn't the same. The thing is its own creature, your mind only pervades it slightly. You're a choke chain on it, able to drag it around by force but not command it precisely.  You set it back down and practice commanding it, sending it running back and forth. It follows obediently but not quite perfectly. Its almost like ordering a well behaved dog.

Esme returns after a bit, carrying a chicken. She's got its legs held with one hand, its body resting on her forearm and its head sort of stuffed into her elbow or armpit. It seems an odd way to hold it but the chicken isn't struggling so you suppose she knows what she is doing. She closes the door behind her and walks into the room, stopping in front of you and looking at the rat marching back and forth for a moment.

"So, how do we wanna do this?" She asks.

You explain your desire to show it something first to see if you can get that specific memory from it. You look around a bit for something specific and decide on some sort of stamp making device Bruce has on his desk. You pick it up and set it down on the ground before grabbing the bird from Esme and essentially forcing it to look at the stamp maker. You hold it there for about 5 minutes before shifting your grip to the bird's neck and jerking it in a way that you somehow know will break it. The action feels familiar somehow; as though you have done it before.  Mary in the kitchen seems to be conspicuously and intentionally ignoring whats going on while Esme is watching you a lot more than the bird.

You can see the memories leaking from the thing in a very odd way. It looks almost like fragments of light flowing up on the steam billowing out of the spout of a teapot. Its a miniature geyser of that flows slowly upwards and disperses into the air. You put your hand over that stream and bring it down to the source, the creature's head. You feel them coming into you like pinpricks across your palm and shooting electric sensations that run up your arm and tingle across your scalp.  The memories  are not what you imagined. You imagined a video or series of images or maybe abstract knowledge but this is far more. All your senses are filled with the memories; you see, hear, smell, feel and even taste everything this creature did. You feel its inhuman body, at once natural but also twisted and hunched and stretched, coated in feathers, face constrained behind a beak. You are it and you are you at the same time and the overlap is disorienting to say the least. Even its thoughts, its feelings, its understanding of the world bleeds into you and you feel the bizarre non-thoughts of an animal. Not conscious like you, not considering, not thinking but aware and focused, a ticking mechanism of a mind.

You see it though, that stamp maker, impressed upon the creature's mind. You almost don't find it among the untold thousands of hours of eating, sleeping, and just standing. Such a crushing tide of memory that almost blurs everything into uselessness.

You pull your hand back. You don't feel as tired as before.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 07, 2019, 05:41:30 am »

"I saw the chickens life pass before my eyes and I was bored."

Now lets see what happens when we feed the rat all the chicken memories.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 07, 2019, 07:15:08 am »

"I saw the chickens life pass before my eyes and I was bored."

Now lets see what happens when we feed the rat all the chicken memories.

Baahahaha. Boring? That was fascinating!

I dunno we want to waste these memories on a mere rat tho. Weren't we gonna use 'em on something a wee bit... bigger?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 07, 2019, 07:26:03 am »

Yes, I also think that was cool. We should probably save them for something bigger can we use the chicken as s puppet? It would be good to fight the officers in numbers. We should probably help Bruce, if possible, we can’t leave without identification

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #344 on: July 07, 2019, 03:55:16 pm »

Hmm.... How about this: We reanimate a few rats, or maybe some venomous animals if we can find any. We use the deaths of chickens and other easy to obtain animals to supply the power for their reanimation. We also take a sturdy pot or something similar and tie it around Piecewise's core to protect it from shooting/stabbing damage. Finally we lay in ambush for the patrol.

Piecewise (covered in clothes that obscur his true form) and ourselves are armed with knives. The rats hide in dark places or sewer holes. Finally we turn an entire trashcan or two into a golem (assuming they are on wheels or can otherwise move themselves). We slam the trashcans into the patrol, hopefully taking a few out or at least distracting them. At the same time, we attack with the rats and try to hit their vitals. Finally, Piecewise moves in and tries to stab them while they're distracted. Since he is all bones, he should be very durable. Even if he's a little weak, the distraction will hopefully give him enough time to do the deed. We stand ready to assist with cleanup and absorb their memories.

We decide where to go from there. If it's a remote area we can just reanimate the dead patrol and take them to an abandoned building, hide them in a closet. Could even have the rats eat their flesh and leave only their bones so we can make more Piecewises.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:16:16 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 94