Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 112311 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #360 on: July 11, 2019, 05:18:17 am »

What if his talents are something more than fisticuffs? I don't want to be like hey man show me what you can do, and also please do it on us, and then he accidentally vaporizes us with necromanctic laser vision or something.

Ahh, fine. Reanimate the chicken, and tell Piecewise to destroy it or render it inert as quickly as possible.

I really hope it's laser vision.
+1 I like the sound of laser skeletons.
Is there another floor we can do this in? I don’t want to damage anything Bruce is working on

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #361 on: July 12, 2019, 04:36:55 pm »

We should ask Esme (or more likely, Brucebeard) how one usually goes about murdering hopefully maybe corrupt police officers for personal gain in this town.

+1

Also: Ask Piecewise to spar with us, being careful not to hurt us. We've only seen him do slow quiet things-- maybe if given the proper orders, he'll prove faster than we realize? It's worth checking.
+1
We need to know if he can fight

Let's ask him. Be like hey man what actually ARE your combat capabilities? Can you demonstrate upon this undead chicken?

What if his talents are something more than fisticuffs? I don't want to be like hey man show me what you can do, and also please do it on us, and then he accidentally vaporizes us with necromanctic laser vision or something.

According to Esme, the there are numerous ways for handing police patrols but the easiest is generally a bait and switch ambush.  Bait them to an area, attack from behind. Guns are best of you can get them and don't care about noise, but anything works as long as its quick and fatal enough. Usually requires multiple people working in unison.

((Isn't piecewise still back at the Library? Hmmm looking back we never explicitly took him, but he wasn't specifically left behind either. We can, for the sake of time, assume you folded him up and stashed him in the bag before coming here. Still, in the future, make sure to say if you wanna take him with. ))

You open the bag and command piecewise out of it. He unfolds in a rather disconcerting way which draws the attention of Bruce and Mary. Mary, standing with a ladle clutched to her chest, stares wide eyed as you shift the skeleton about and get it into position.  Once you have it out of the bag and have cleared a little room you ask Piecewise what its combat abilities are. Piecewise answers by holding up its hands. Hmm.

You take a moment to reanimate the chicken as a puppet using another nail; its head flops about on a broken neck, just like the mouse. You place the chicken in front of Piecewise and tell the skeleton to "destroy it or render it inert as quickly as possible".  As soon as you give the order, piecewise moves.  It doesn't move any faster than a human could, you think, though it does still move very quickly. Quick enough that you don't really realize whats happening until its over. And while the speed of its movements are within human capacities, the precision of them seem completely inhuman. Piecewise doesn't kick the chicken or punch it or anything like that, instead he drops into deep squat and places one hand on the chicken's chest while carefully grasping the head of the nail with his other hand. He pulls the nail free while holding the chicken in place with the other hand.  It all happens in a fraction of a second and the chicken just crumples to the ground, not even shoved backwards. Piecewise drops the nail and then slowly stands back up and returns to his normal posture. 

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 12, 2019, 05:55:50 pm »

Yeahhh!

Next order of business: can Piecewise use proper weaponry, or is he limited to his hands only?
Find Piecewise a weapon. A knife or something would be ideal, but any clubby thing will do in a pinch. Give Piecewise the weapon, animate the chicken again, and tell him to, using the weapon, render the chicken inert as quickly as possible, without removing the nail.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 12, 2019, 06:03:47 pm »

Yeahhh!

Next order of business: can Piecewise use proper weaponry, or is he limited to his hands only?
Find Piecewise a weapon. A knife or something would be ideal, but any clubby thing will do in a pinch. Give Piecewise the weapon, animate the chicken again, and tell him to, using the weapon, render the chicken inert as quickly as possible, without removing the nail.
+1

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 12, 2019, 06:19:10 pm »

Yeahhh!

+1

Yeah that surgical precision coupled with the speed of movement makes me interested in the results of this experiment. If we find he is capable of this sort of thing but with martial combat, let's try throwing him some rubber balls and whatnot and see if he can stab em out of the air or some such. See what his ability to track motion and/or hand eye coordination is like.

In the case that we find him to be capable, we should advise him that he is to defend our person from physical threats at all times. Define physical threats as a clear intent to cause us bodily harm from a hostile party. Allies are to be excluded as a hostile party. I know this opens us up to backstabbing, but the last thing we need is for him to bisect poor Esme because she offered a high five or some such.

Also Bruce's poor daughter seems to be internally screaming, maybe we should offer some friendly reassurances? We just sort of showed up in her house and started performing profane rituals immediately with little explanation after she was traumatically manhandled.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 12, 2019, 08:06:51 pm »

Yeahhh!

+1

Yeah that surgical precision coupled with the speed of movement makes me interested in the results of this experiment. If we find he is capable of this sort of thing but with martial combat, let's try throwing him some rubber balls and whatnot and see if he can stab em out of the air or some such. See what his ability to track motion and/or hand eye coordination is like.

In the case that we find him to be capable, we should advise him that he is to defend our person from physical threats at all times. Define physical threats as a clear intent to cause us bodily harm from a hostile party. Allies are to be excluded as a hostile party. I know this opens us up to backstabbing, but the last thing we need is for him to bisect poor Esme because she offered a high five or some such.

Also Bruce's poor daughter seems to be internally screaming, maybe we should offer some friendly reassurances? We just sort of showed up in her house and started performing profane rituals immediately with little explanation after she was traumatically manhandled.
How would we reassure her?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 12, 2019, 08:36:38 pm »

I'm not the best at this. Maybe like hey sorry we should explain, we aren't bad guys we only like to twist the souls of the departed into a freshly broken corpse for the good of all mankind. Also this human skeleton that I keep in a sack is named Piecewise would you like to touch it?

Y'kno, reassuring.

Just feel like from her perspective her entire home has become a showcase of body horror and noone is even really talking to her.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 12, 2019, 08:59:24 pm »

I'm not the best at this. Maybe like hey sorry we should explain, we aren't bad guys we only like to twist the souls of the departed into a freshly broken corpse for the good of all mankind. Also this human skeleton that I keep in a sack is named Piecewise would you like to touch it?

Y'kno, reassuring.

Just feel like from her perspective her entire home has become a showcase of body horror and noone is even really talking to her.
Ok, is our first rat with us? The puppet, not the phantom. We can tell the puppet to stay calm and let her pet it too. Maybe we can have her pet the chicken too. I don’t think the phantom rat would be a good choice, since we don’t have as much control of it as the others. Maybe she would like the animals too since they’d be more familiar than Piecewise. Of course she can still interact with him if she wants too. Yes, we need to explain what we are doing.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 13, 2019, 12:15:59 am »

Ok, is our first rat with us? The puppet, not the phantom. We can tell the puppet to stay calm and let her pet it too. Maybe we can have her pet the chicken too. I don’t think the phantom rat would be a good choice, since we don’t have as much control of it as the others. Maybe she would like the animals too since they’d be more familiar than Piecewise. Of course she can still interact with him if she wants too. Yes, we need to explain what we are doing.

Er, +1... but maybe keep an eye on Bruce to make sure we aren't upsetting him or anything, and don't let her pet the chicken Piecewise is about to maybe decapitate. (Alternatively, let her pet it, then do the messy bit in a different room if one's available? Whatever.)

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 13, 2019, 12:55:51 am »

Er, +1... but maybe keep an eye on Bruce to make sure we aren't upsetting him or anything, and don't let her pet the chicken Piecewise is about to maybe decapitate. (Alternatively, let her pet it, then do the messy bit in a different room if one's available? Whatever.)
Yes, I was thinking doing the messy stuff in a different room as well if possible

So the plan, if I am correct, is to reassure Mary that things are fine, make sure we aren’t upsetting Bruce, then head to a different room with Piecewise and the chicken to give Piecewise a weapon of some sort to “render the chicken inert without destroying or removing the core”

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 13, 2019, 02:24:13 am »

Sounds about right, yes.

klonk
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 13, 2019, 04:17:09 am »

Yeahhh!

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 13, 2019, 10:43:32 am »

We are all bad at reassuring, and this reassures me.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #373 on: July 15, 2019, 03:47:03 pm »

Yeahhh!

+1
+1
You ask Bruce if you can borrow a knife. He doesn't respond for a moment but eventually agrees after you promise that you won't make a mess. You take the chicken to the kitchen, drain it of blood and remove the guts before reanimating it and bringing it back. You give piecewise the knife you used to do all this and then reanimate the chicken again, this time with a nail embedded inside the now hollow chest cavity.  Mary is watching something boil in a large pot and completely ignoring everything while Bruce watches out of the corner of his eye. Esme is sitting on the bed again, head in her hands, idly watching.  You step back and give Piecewise the order to again render the reanimated chicken inert, but this time without removing the nail like he did last time.

Again he drops into a squat, but instead of pulling the nail out he stabs the large cutting knife into the chicken 3 times, just as quick and precise as before. The chicken drops and you again have him step back so you can examine it. Piecewise's stabs have cut three clean lines through the chicken's chest, forming a triangle.  In the center of that triangle is the nail; his stabs have cut just that small chunk of flesh out of the chicken, separating the core from the rest of the body.  Technically that little triangle of cut out flesh is still animated but...not meaningfully so. 

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 15, 2019, 03:53:49 pm »

Hmph. What we're learning here is that the best way to take down a puppet is to go for the core.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 94