Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 111711 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #615 on: October 04, 2019, 01:29:06 pm »

If the arm is grafted to us, maybe the nerves of our arms will be connected to our brain so they might sense what we sense

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 04, 2019, 01:30:11 pm »

Well, if we're in a combat situation, we could tie an animate arm on the back of our shirt, give it a gun and tell it to shoot people who aren't us. But then you have to make sure it doesn't accidentally shoot us or sometime we care about. But if things we puppet have part of ourselves in them, maybe it will be smart enough to know? Maybe we can try with something harmless, like a flashlight

Hmm... We should call it "Gun Angel".

We can animate all kinds of prosthetics and armors and such to use as weapons this is getting rad AF.

It's basically adding obedient AI to anything we want.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 04, 2019, 01:58:13 pm »

Well, if we're in a combat situation, we could tie an animate arm on the back of our shirt, give it a gun and tell it to shoot people who aren't us. But then you have to make sure it doesn't accidentally shoot us or sometime we care about. But if things we puppet have part of ourselves in them, maybe it will be smart enough to know? Maybe we can try with something harmless, like a flashlight

We can animate all kinds of prosthetics and armors and such to use as weapons this is getting rad AF.

Obedient AI that will only remain obedient if we feed mana and memories to it. We mustn't forget what the spirits eat

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 04, 2019, 02:52:02 pm »

Obedient AI that will only remain obedient if we feed mana and memories to it. We mustn't forget what the spirits eat

Can we create a construct that has the ability to create additional constructs?

Obviously this is a remarkably terrible idea but also can be kept in our back pocket for if we really need to ruin everything everywhere while hiding in a bunker, etc.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #619 on: October 04, 2019, 03:14:56 pm »

Well, it appears we are still subject to some sort of conservation of energy. We need some sort of energy to animate things. If we were able to create something that animates things, it would also need that same energy. Now luckily, we can get that energy from killing things. So in that case we could do a sort of zombie apocalypse thing: create an undead with the orders to kill living things, feed on them and use the excess energy to reanimate more of itself.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 04, 2019, 04:04:19 pm »

Though in the case of puppets that quickly runs into problems of mind-bandwidth, as the zombies will need to share part of our own brain, not having one of their own. And if the zombies are phantom powered, they'll need a way of snatching up phantoms when they create new undead.
Of course, there is presumably a way to create undead with fully independant minds, like ourself. But then they might decide they don't want to create a rolling zombie apocalypse.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #621 on: October 04, 2019, 05:18:32 pm »

Well, we can just create a group of undead masters that rules over a world of living cattle. I'm sure nothing is or will go wrong with that.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 04, 2019, 05:24:15 pm »

Well, we can just create a group of undead masters that rules over a world of living cattle. I'm sure nothing is or will go wrong with that.

Undead masters better or worse than big brother shadow government masters?

Sources say better.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #623 on: October 06, 2019, 09:39:33 am »

Let's experiment with the flexibility of undead. For example, what happens if we try to stick a piece of cloth between a skeleton's lower and upper arm bones? Can we pull a bone off a skeleton and then reattach it (perhaps with the use of some of our Mana)?

Another experiment I'd like to try is how much we can use our power offensively or defensively How quickly can we reanimate something? Could we, for example, reanimate a door to force it to unlock or force it close and remain closed? What about reanimating a card so we can more easily throw it to our target? What about reanimating someone's shoelaces to make them get tied up and cause that someone to trip? What about making something hover between us and our target? Or maybe instead of hovering we can make invisible magical legs for it, like how skeletons have invisible magical joints.

Finally, it's a bit morbid, but I'd like to try finding a living thing and reanimating part of its body or sticking a spirit in it while it's still alive. Maybe it heals them. Maybe it gives them power. Maybe they end up possessed. Maybe we just can't do that. Whatever the case, it would be useful to know.

+1
+1, though we already know non corpses such as shoelaces and doors are much more tiring to reanimate than corpses. The one about putting the spirit in something still alive sounds good though, we are not using Esme though, let’s find a different living thing for it first

Definitely not Esme. Or Bruce or Mary. Basically no humans, preferably not even government ones (at least for our initial testing)
Agreed, no humans yet. Let’s use a rabbit
Attempting to place something into the joint of one of the skeletons is...rather a confusing event. The elbow, as joints go, is a pretty tight with the ulna basically cupping the end of the humerus. However, the radius doesn't perfectly fit to the joint in its current fleshless state; the connection is usually facilitated via cartilage and ligaments. This means the bone is effectively hovering in place, though is quite immovable from that configuration. Into this gap you can easily place a piece of cloth. It reminds you of a magnet; the way these two things can be strongly affixed to each other by some kind of invisible and untouchable force.  However, attempting to slip anything between the bones where they're touching proves impossible. Pulling off bones proves impossible as well; or at least as impossible as it would be for you to rip off a man's arm. You get the feeling it could be done but not with your strength.

You don't have a massive mana surplus right now so extensive inanimate object testing is impossible. Instead you attempt a few small things. You can lock and unlock and close and open a door that has been animated, and it does seem to hold itself closed with more force than you can muster to try and bash it open. You animate a scalpel in the medical section next and find that it cannot hover or walk; it rolls about usually but can be made to balance upright and hop. When thrown, it can effect its flight but only very slightly you think. Mostly it can arrest or enhance the spin it has but not move impossibly to home in on a target. Even these two tests leave you quite tired. Animating these things can be done...relatively quickly but not instantly and not covertly. It still takes 10 or so seconds at the fastest and the motions of it are quite obvious.

You don't think you have the mana needed to grab a spirit right now, but you decide at least to search for something living to use. You check the time: probably still too early for any market to be open. You consult your pilfered memories about a place to get living creatures around here. There are shops that would sell them but the market that springs to mind is pretty far from here. Mice might be an easier prey if you could find one in the building. You decide to try that first. You spend the next hour or so tracking mice. You don't manage to catch one, but you do find a nest of them in the alley behind the library. They scatter when you try to get one but they'll be back.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 06, 2019, 12:07:53 pm »

Maybe we should rest for a bit to build up our mana supply.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 06, 2019, 12:49:00 pm »

+1

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 06, 2019, 02:12:21 pm »

Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #627 on: October 10, 2019, 09:44:13 am »

+1
+1
You return to your room and lay down. This time you make sure to do two things: First you write a note to Esme to make it clear you're asleep and not dead. Actually dead. Well, you know. Second, when you lay down you don't simply tell yourself to sleep, you give yourself a time limit. Its roughly 5 am right now so you set yourself for 7 hours, so you'll wake up at about noon. That done, you close your eyes and sleep.  You seem to wake up a moment later but the bright light of the noon day sun tells you otherwise. You blink and look around before sitting up and are surprised to see Piecewise sort of looming over you, staring down at you. He isn't moving and isn't holding anything this time, he's just sort of...there.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 10, 2019, 09:45:26 am »

"Piecewise, are you ok?"

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 10, 2019, 10:38:35 am »

He might just give us a yes/no answer to that question, so...

"Piecewise, is anything unusual going on; if so, lead me to it."

Remember, he can only answer questions about stuff we've seen personally.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 94