Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 112255 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #960 on: February 05, 2020, 10:21:25 am »

Yay, good job Piecewise! Also apparently we have some sort of healing ability, which means we don't have to be as careful. I was worried we would have to find some way to repair corpses to preserve ourself. Hmm. That does beg the question of if we have a core we need to protect, if we can sustain a certain amount of damage or if we're more or less immortal. Wonder if that's what they're trying to achieve with their experiments. If by transferring a soul to an undead you can make someone immortal then you could make invincible supersoldiers that could win the war with that sort of power. And then you could set yourselves up as immortal rulers of the world. Assuming there are no downsides to this sort of thing. Or maybe there are ways to defeat it through other sorts of special abilities. Or maybe regeneration requires special conditions to occur. Maybe that's why we were in a bathtub full of blood and organs when we woke up, we needed to regenerate from massive damage for some reason and we needed spare materials to do so. Speaking of which...

Check ourselves in a mirror. Do we appear to be missing something? Do we look paler? Do we feel like we've expended Mana? Or maybe like our stomach is emptier? Or maybe we're missing one of our rats? Experiment with cutting our palm, see what happens.

Pat birdwise on the beak so he will play our voicemail. See if Esme sent any sort of response to us with birdwise. Also check him for signs he's been tampered with, just in case.

+1 to all of this.

Also damn I want that voicemail to be a thing tho.
+1, we need to figure out what Esme said
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #961 on: February 07, 2020, 11:32:55 am »

Yay, good job Piecewise! Also apparently we have some sort of healing ability, which means we don't have to be as careful. I was worried we would have to find some way to repair corpses to preserve ourself. Hmm. That does beg the question of if we have a core we need to protect, if we can sustain a certain amount of damage or if we're more or less immortal. Wonder if that's what they're trying to achieve with their experiments. If by transferring a soul to an undead you can make someone immortal then you could make invincible supersoldiers that could win the war with that sort of power. And then you could set yourselves up as immortal rulers of the world. Assuming there are no downsides to this sort of thing. Or maybe there are ways to defeat it through other sorts of special abilities. Or maybe regeneration requires special conditions to occur. Maybe that's why we were in a bathtub full of blood and organs when we woke up, we needed to regenerate from massive damage for some reason and we needed spare materials to do so. Speaking of which...

Check ourselves in a mirror. Do we appear to be missing something? Do we look paler? Do we feel like we've expended Mana? Or maybe like our stomach is emptier? Or maybe we're missing one of our rats? Experiment with cutting our palm, see what happens.

Pat birdwise on the beak so he will play our voicemail. See if Esme sent any sort of response to us with birdwise. Also check him for signs he's been tampered with, just in case.

+1 to all of this.

Also damn I want that voicemail to be a thing tho.
+1, we need to figure out what Esme said
+1
(animate a parrot if you want voice mail~)

The message you retrieve from Birdwise is interesting in that it is very vague. It thanks you for your "Continued efforts" wishes you luck with "Further endeavors" and makes note of your "Odd method of communication." You're pretty sure she's trying to use a semi-coded method of speaking so that if the message is intercepted it won't blow your cover. The general gist you can get, through the haze of mundane descriptions of daily life, is that she thanks you for the info, wishes you luck, and wants you not to send such obviously seditious intel like this straight to her next time. Otherwise, things are going well at the library, no one has been caught for the murders and the bodies have -obviously- not been found. She recommends care with the infiltration and warns that they might have supernatural defenses or traps, even tracking systems. She indicates a place she would like to meet at when you return, likely a precaution in case you are somehow tainted by magic in an unknown way. You fold the letter up and give it to Piecewise for holding.

You walk over to the mirror and, by candle light, examine yourself. You  can see where your shirt tore, the blood stains on it still obvious though now dry. You look no different then before, you think, but there is a bit of mana missing you think. Not much, just a bit, but its just noticeable. You're not hungry- you never are - and your rats and such are all still present. You borrow a knife from Piecewise and try cutting your hand. You have a dull sensation of pain, or rather the knowledge that you have been hurt and where, but no real pain from it.  The cut remains open and bleeding for a second or two and then, with a faint shimmer of red, seals itself closed  and vanishes as though it were never even there. You kept an eye on your ring as this happened and indeed, the glow of it seemed to wane just a fraction as the cut healed.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: February 07, 2020, 12:16:23 pm »

Looks like all that's left to do is wait until morning and get on a train and to the meeting place.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #963 on: February 07, 2020, 12:22:39 pm »

Looks like all that's left to do is wait until morning and get on a train and to the meeting place.
Yeah. If we can't stuff birdwise and the rats in our stuff, then have them commit suicide somewhere they won't be found. If we can only carry part of them, then the bird gets priority. Hmm... Or maybe we can pretend the bird was our kill? Or would that be too weird?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: February 07, 2020, 01:47:12 pm »

Yeah. If we can't stuff birdwise and the rats in our stuff, then have them commit suicide somewhere they won't be found. If we can only carry part of them, then the bird gets priority. Hmm... Or maybe we can pretend the bird was our kill? Or would that be too weird?

Let's just take out the cores and have piecewise dump em in the woods or something. Without the cores they just rats. Even if someone came upon a pile o rats in the woods they'd just be like hey weird, a pile o rats in the woods. We should keep birdwise he's super useful.

We have wolverine powers! Awesome. But they run on mana, so let's definitely never find out what happens when the fuel that apparently keeps our physical form cohesive runs out.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: February 07, 2020, 02:29:20 pm »

I forgot, how do we restore mana? I don't think we can do it by sleeping...
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: February 07, 2020, 03:39:46 pm »

Let's just take out the cores and have piecewise dump em in the woods or something. Without the cores they just rats. Even if someone came upon a pile o rats in the woods they'd just be like hey weird, a pile o rats in the woods. We should keep birdwise he's super useful.

We have wolverine powers! Awesome. But they run on mana, so let's definitely never find out what happens when the fuel that apparently keeps our physical form cohesive runs out.
+1

I forgot, how do we restore mana? I don't think we can do it by sleeping...
We can “eat” memories

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: February 08, 2020, 04:42:41 am »

+1
+1

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #968 on: February 12, 2020, 01:32:33 am »

+1
+1
You take off your sneaking clothes and pack them away, replacing them with more acceptable traveling clothing. You then look over the rats and the bird, considering what to do with them. You pull Wisebird's core and put in your pocket, stacking his body with the rest of your "Catch" from the forest; they'll all bend in well enough with your guise of professor and huntsman.  The rats, however, stand out too much. You order them to scatter into the woods and destroy their own cores. They obediently scurry off and you feel an odd pang of sentimentalism. The stolen memories conjure images of pets and dull sadness of their lost. You don't quite understand it, but as their tethers snap one by one you feel wistful despite your short time together.

You pack up everything you can, tidy up the room, make sure to leave nothing behind, and then head down stairs. The ever present innkeeper is there, asleep at the front desk. You wake her and pay your bill, thanking her and keeping in character as a kind but naive professor while Piecewise looms behind you, staring into the middle distance.  She comments about the hour of your departure- about 3am now- and you assure her you just have to catch the earliest train.  She looks at you with the same suspicious and nosy glare she has always had, but it bounces off your grin without effect. She gives you a hand written receipt and you leave, piecewise following closely behind. You move through quiet streets, gas streetlights burn with a gentle hiss and flicker and the houses stare back at you with dark windows. Everything is very still; the sky is cloudy and black, a wool blanket over the world. You walk out to the train station at a leisurely pace, taking in everything around you. It feels right, though you're not sure why. More and more these feelings are coming to you; remnants of the men you have devoured perhaps? Maybe something else.

The first train of the day is a mixed passenger and cargo train that arrives around 5am. You buy a pair of tickets from the sleepy clerk and take a seat on one of the wooden benches on the platform. Piecewise takes up position behind you, but you order him to instead sit next to you and try to look more like your companion and less like your body guard. The two of you sit and wait in silence for a while. You stare up at the ceiling of the platform, stained wooden boards like the inner hull of a ship. You have nothing to say to him, and he has nothing to say to you. The assault was successful, you got the information and got out without being seen. No one is chasing you. Everything is going well. You sink further back onto the bench, hands on your lap. You look at them, flexing the fingers. Despite it all, you feel very alone. This little island of light on the dark countryside, isolated from the village and its shimmering lamps, only serves to remind you of your situation.  Piecewise looks at you, his glass eyes staring back into your own.  You call him your companion, but under that facade of false flesh and cloth is nothing but a puppet of bone. Maybe you are no better. Maybe these feelings, this flesh, everything you are is nothing but an elaborate facade as well. The documents flash through your mind. "One successful case". Are you really in control? Are you even...you?  Piecewise stares back at you, a reflection of your uncertainty. You are afraid.

It takes the entire day to get back to the city, even on this direct route. You make it in only late at night and follow the instructions Esme gave you to the meeting place. You stop outside; the building is a small, heavily run down place in a not particularly nice part of town. It looks as though it is either abandoned, or at least in very poor repair.  You wonder if Esme could have been intercepted, the letter you got a decoy set to lead you into an ambush. Wisebird wouldn't allow that, surely. Surely. You walk in, Piecewise at your side, and find what amounts to a large, empty room with a few chairs, a black bag, and a sealed envelope with "READ" written across it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 12, 2020, 07:13:58 am »

Open the envelope and read what’s inside

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: February 12, 2020, 08:36:09 am »

Open the envelope and read what’s inside
+1 Also look in the bag.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: February 12, 2020, 12:00:58 pm »

Get ye envelope and shove the cognitohazards therein into our precious vulnerable brain.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: February 12, 2020, 01:50:52 pm »

Get ye envelope and shove the cognitohazards therein into our precious vulnerable brain.

+1, roll will save.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 12, 2020, 03:03:49 pm »

+1, roll will save.
-1 this could kill us or cause brain damage, let’s read it before trying anything rash

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: February 12, 2020, 03:14:06 pm »

They're just using schmancy words to say "read the envelope". Should be safe enough!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 94