Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 112272 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #990 on: February 24, 2020, 01:17:32 pm »

Detail to Esme the fruits of our search, and show her the documents we nabbed.
+1
+1

+1. Also, don't make her sad
+1

+1, also

We ought to tell her we apparently have fleeting access to Alexander's memories, and be like so hey, why? Also sorry, we saw enough to understand what's going on there, and also we're especially sorry since we don't mean to have things happen like what happened in the doorway.

This is only going to worse, judging by the progression of these events, and it's only going to be worse if we just ignore it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: February 24, 2020, 01:38:45 pm »

We ought to tell her we apparently have fleeting access to Alexander's memories, and be like so hey, why? Also sorry, we saw enough to understand what's going on there, and also we're especially sorry since we don't mean to have things happen like what happened in the doorway.

This is only going to worse, judging by the progression of these events, and it's only going to be worse if we just ignore it.

Now you mention it, we absolutely should address this somehow. +1
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: February 24, 2020, 01:57:00 pm »

Even though it will make her sad?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: February 24, 2020, 01:59:52 pm »

I mean it'll just be worse later. Sad now, or probably really sad later.

She at least noticed in the doorway, so she knows now if she didn't before. Best to let her know we're aware and aren't going to like, hold it over her head or anything like that.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: February 24, 2020, 02:43:17 pm »

+1 she should probably know this

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: February 24, 2020, 11:13:26 pm »

We had another one of those memory flashbacks when we saw the artist, and told his daughter another name (not Alexander) didn't we? That might mean that we have the shredded memories from several people crammed inside our head. Like, a variant of what the military base was doing, but with multiple minds? That might go towards explaining the corpse bath we started in. Wonder if there's a way to test that, we'll be down here a few days anyway.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #996 on: February 25, 2020, 12:23:04 am »

I mean it'll just be worse later. Sad now, or probably really sad later.
Why would she be really sad later? I mean, things could turn out great. If she wants to hope, why should we crush that hope? Especially since we can use that hope to our advantage later.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: February 25, 2020, 03:01:10 am »

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #998 on: February 25, 2020, 11:36:19 am »

Detail to Esme the fruits of our search, and show her the documents we nabbed.
+1
+1

+1. Also, don't make her sad

+1
You give her the documents you've taken and then go over them together with her, filling in any details you found that aren't listed in the papers. After about two hours of this she sets the papers next to her on the cot and holds her head in her hands, thinking.

"The attraction of large Phantoms, the reinforcement of undead and living bodies, and the removal of a soul.  Three projects that are useful on their own, and even more so when combined.  The size of a phantom determines the intelligence and capacities of an undead, so if you could also physically reinforce the body -like we did with your friend there -you could make something quite terrifyingly capable. And if you could force a soul into it instead of a phantom...then you have pseudo immortal super soldiers."

She closes her eyes and shakes her head.

"There's something more going on here though...Those hand written notes are Alexander's, I'm certain of it. They're attempting to duplicate his work, the work he was doing shortly before they turned on him. Maybe they turned on him because of this work. But if so, why? Super soldiers are great and all but...it doesn't fit. The State is about survival of the fittest, a meritocracy based on power. Undead super soldiers doesn't fit with their ideals; they'd be cannon fodder and nothing more, with the glory going to their 'worthy champions'. They don't want power spread around in proxies, they want it in their own hands. Maybe his work was heretical because of that? No...He would have had to have discovered something that proved them wrong, that undermined their entire philosophy of divine right to power."

She picks up the papers and flips to a page in them.

"And then there's that." She points at the text, "The one successful subject for that soul removal thing. I'm going to bet that was Alexander's success and they're just trying to duplicate it but what was it? Why was he doing it? What happened to it?"

She looks at you for a long moment, as through trying to decipher some truth that lay within the shape of you face.

"It might be you. But that was years ago. If it was you, where have you been this whole time? And whose soul are you?"

You take this moment to tell her that you have memories that you believe are Alexander's. Memories, it seems, mostly of their time together. They're nothing but fragments that come up now and again but they're there. Like the memories of the men you ate. As you tell her this she betrays no emotion on her face, but you see her hands tightly grip her knees and her breath comes a little slower and less steady.  After you finish, she waits a moment before speaking.

"You look like him. You have bits of his memories. You were given instructions to come see me. If I were more suspicious I think I'd assume you were some sort of spy construct here to worm your way into our organization. It would be effective, considering my...our time together." She sighs. "But you're beyond what they could do. I have to assume you're Alexander's work, and that he sent you here for a reason. I don't know why you look like him, or why you remember what only he should know. Maybe you are him. Maybe you're part of some grand scheme of his." She almost laughs, a bittersweet ghost of a chuckle, "Maybe you're his revenge, a contingency he made for if he should...Well, who knows."

She rests her head against the wall, staring at the ceiling.

"I've been chasing him for years. I joined the army to find him. Came here to find him. But he was always gone, always somewhere ahead. A shadow against the sunset; I run but I can't catch up."

Her head turns slightly, just enough that you can't see her face.

"You're the only clue I have now. So I won't be letting you go until I find out exactly whats going on here."

She sniffs once and then gets up, yawning in an almost exaggerated way.

"Its late. I'm going to bed. You stay down here. If you want, you can just sleep for a few days. We should know soon enough if they followed you. I'm going to copy these papers and burn the originals, so they can't follow these either."  She takes the folders from the bed and walks to the door. She doesn't look at you, but she does stop in the doorway.

"I'll check on you tomorrow morning. Goodnight."  She lingers a moment more and then walks away.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: February 26, 2020, 08:47:46 am »

Lets just go to sleep for a few days.
(Seems like we made it worse by mentioning the random memories.)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: February 26, 2020, 11:58:03 am »

Lets just go to sleep for a few days.
(Seems like we made it worse by mentioning the random memories.)

+1.
Had I gotten here earlier, I would have said to also tell her she now has a chance of getting Alex back, if we can figure out some way to retrieve all his memories/soul. Of course, we'd need another body to house him, so we'd basically need to recreate his work on transferring souls - wait. Es Esme can transfer memories, right? If we get access to all of Alex's memories, couldn't she just siphon them into her mind, and have Original!Alex's personality/soul timeshare with her brain?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: February 26, 2020, 01:12:12 pm »

I feel like this was a lot better than an eventual "you've known all this/remembered all this/had knowledge of all my private moments for how long as said nothing" conversation. Now she can decide what to do and how to feel about it, and plan according to this new info.

Just because it was uncomfortable doesn't mean it wasn't the right thing to do.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1002 on: February 26, 2020, 06:25:43 pm »

Take one of our skeletons (not Piecewise) apart and take the time to experiment with creating some sort of skeleton backpack. The idea is to put enough bones in between the backpack's layers to allow animating it like a skeleton instead of a golem. Then, since skeletons can stay still, we just need to hide the arms and legs in pockets and such. Doesn't need a head, it would just take up space, but maybe we can get away with putting some teeth or part of the jaw in there.

Then all we need to do is to drop the backpack and we have an instant skeleton warrior distraction. Or maybe we're in the middle of a fight, so while we focus on dodging, positioning and generally staying alive the skeleton arms coming out of our backpack can take care of shooting stuff.

This sort of thing will probably not hold up to a lot of scrutiny, but it's sightly better and probably less tiring than carrying a full skeleton around.

Next step should be an exoskeleton skeleton. After that we make our combining giant robot skeleton.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: February 26, 2020, 07:13:57 pm »

Remember, phantoms need to eat, I’d imagine the body they are possessing needs to take in memories and mana, speaking of, how long have they gone without memories? When we were in the complex, they were outside.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: February 27, 2020, 03:29:56 am »

I'm sure they're fine, just feed them some rat and chicken memories.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 94