Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 112301 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #1020 on: March 02, 2020, 01:40:42 pm »

Let's head on up. What's the haps, Ezzie? Did anyone come looking for us? Did you glean anything of note from the documents we recovered?
                            ^don't actually say this
+1 except literally say that.
+1 Say it.
+1
Clearly we should make up a new nickname so that we don't end up calling her Es again~
would Ezzie work? :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway I can see which way the tide is going. +1 to the "What's the Haps Ezzie" train choo choo.
You head up the ladder and, after a minute figuring out how the hidden door works, climb out into the records room. You leave piecewise here, just in case there's company up above that would respond poorly to him, and head up. The library is as quiet as ever but this time there are actually people here. Four people are sitting at a table over near the reference section on the first floor. The tall, thin windows show only darkness outside and the yellow halogen lights above the table cast hard shadows on its inhabitants. One is Esme, then another woman, and two men, none of whom you recognize. They are all dressed well enough but not ostentatiously; this could easily be a gossip session between clerks in a bank break room. You get a little closer and realize they either can't see you or at least haven't. The light of the table and the darkness of the area around them probably makes it hard to see anything without specifically looking for it. 

"And this information came from a reliable source?" One of the men asks.

"Straight from the Axminster labs." She responds, pointing to something on the table. Probably the papers.

"Are you sure about that?" The woman asks, leaning in closer, "We've had no word of break ins, no alerts on the local coms.  Are you sure this source of yours is good?"

"I can't be 100% certain, but if he's a spy we're screwed regardless. If they can really make make sapient undead capable of using necromancy and they know enough about us to infiltrate this place I don't know why they'd send a spy instead of a death squad."

"Find out more about the organization? Track down all our agents?"

"Maybe. But it doesn't feel right. If he's a spy- and I don't think he is -I'm convinced he doesn't know he's a spy."

"A sleeper agent?"

"Its not unheard of, there are ability users in the party that can alter memories, control minds, view remotely through the eyes of another." One of the men interjects.

"Still, if that's the case it seems odd. I haven't told him the names of any agents. The only sympathizers he's meet are Bruce and one of our workmen. Would he be permitted to murder soldiers and generally run amok for such slight info?"

"Maybe. Rank and file soldiers are fodder in their eyes. Anyone without abilities is disposable."

"I'm not certain your judgement on this is unbiased." The second man says, finally speaking up.

"Probably not." Esme says after a moment, "But is it wise to just assume he's a danger? We have no evidence of that. So far his actions have all been helpful, anything we have against him is just suspicions and missing information. Plus..."

"He's wearing Alexander's face." The woman finishes her sentence.

"Why would they make a spy like that?"

"To play on your emotions."

"Sure, I guess, but I'm just one part of this network. Even if they compromise me, there is only so much info they can get.  That, and I don't think they would do it like this. They hated Alexander in a way that goes beyond just needing a scapegoat for the masses. Besides, isn't that more of a red flag than anything? Wouldn't someone less obvious be a better choice for a spy? You wouldn't be asking questions like this of some street kid who wanted to join up."

Silence for several moments.

"What about that skeleton with him?"

Esme pauses and seems to be thinking before answering.

"I don't know. Most of the time it just seems like a puppet but...when he's asleep it sometimes seems to have more agency than it should. It found that book, it spoke to him. It stands over him and looks like its protecting him while he sleeps. He might have ordered it to do that though."

"Could it be a spy? Some sort of listening device?"

"Its under his control. It was apparently unbound when he woke up, but carrying things for him.  It was there for a reason."

The second man, the one who rarely speaks, leans back and stares up at the ceiling. "I don't like it. Best case is we have an unknown third party influencing  events around us and showing us what they want us to see. Maybe they're a sympathetic group, want to aid our cause. Maybe they just want us to take down the government so they can take over. Even if they're altruistic, we don't know anything about them or their own actions. They could screw up and lead the authorities to us or interfere in our operations accidentally.

We can't afford to stay ignorant."

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 02, 2020, 01:45:33 pm »

Get out of there - unseen and fast.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1022 on: March 02, 2020, 03:26:36 pm »

"You know, it's not polite to speak about someone behind their back."

Make an appearance (hands raised, friendly, smiling, non-threatening, put that charm to work) and try to convince them that even if they don't trust us, they're better off using us or at least leaving us be. Our argument could be the following:

We are an asset. We've proven that by providing them with this information and showing that we're willing to attack targets like patrols for them. Our goals align. We want to find out more about ourself, they want to find out more about us. They want to topple a government that's probably liable to kill us just for how we look and liable to lock us up and vivisect us for what we are. If they kill us, they may be taking out a spy or they might be losing a valuable asset. If they try to kill us and fail, they might be turning an ally into an enemy. And with what we can see about the state the war is in, they need all the allies they can get. They lose any chance to influence or control us.

If they're afraid we'll betray them, then there's no reason for us to know anything about their organization. We can help them and they can help us and we can keep our contact to a minimum. Hell, we don't even need to help each other, we can just tell Esme what we're planning so that she can stop us if we're going to get tangled in some sort of operation they're planning. Frankly, we don't care about them at all. The only reason we're willing to go out of our way to help them is because Esme has been helping us and we want to repay her for her help. So as long as they don't do anything to hurt us or Esme, they have nothing to worry about.

I might edit that when I have some more time to think.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 02, 2020, 03:32:12 pm »

Get out of there - unseen and fast.
+1

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 02, 2020, 03:33:25 pm »

Make an appearance (hands raised, friendly, smiling, non-threatening, put that charm to work) and try to convince them that even if they don't trust us, they're better off using us or at least leaving us be. Our argument could be the following:

We are an asset. We've proven that by providing them with this information and showing that we're willing to attack targets like patrols for them. Our goals align. We want to find out more about ourself, they want to find out more about us. They want to topple a government that's probably liable to kill us just for how we look and liable to lock us up and vivisect us for what we are. If they kill us, they may be taking out a spy or they might be losing a valuable asset. If they try to kill us and fail, they might be turning an ally into an enemy. And with what we can see about the state the war is in, they need all the allies they can get. They lose any chance to influence or control us.

If they're afraid we'll betray them, then there's no reason for us to know anything about their organization. We can help them and they can help us and we can keep our contact to a minimum. Hell, we don't even need to help each other, we can just tell Esme what we're planning so that she can stop us if we're going to get tangled in some sort of operation they're planning. Frankly, we don't care about them at all. The only reason we're willing to go out of our way to help them is because Esme has been helping us and we want to repay her for her help. So as long as they don't do anything to hurt us or Esme, they have nothing to worry about.

This is better. +1 to transparency and an opportunity to put Esme's probably somewhat powerful allies at ease

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: March 02, 2020, 03:47:02 pm »

This is better. +1 to transparency and an opportunity to put Esme's probably somewhat powerful allies at ease
+1, who is the they?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: March 02, 2020, 04:54:42 pm »

+1, who is the they?

The people Esme is talking to at the moment, and by extension the people they will eventually report to.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: March 02, 2020, 05:28:28 pm »

{argument}

+1, who is the they?

Gonna +1 all of this. Solid speechification, with a bit of humor worked in. :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: March 02, 2020, 05:48:09 pm »

Although we're actually the ones talking behind someone's back, since we're facing the speakers.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: March 02, 2020, 09:12:42 pm »

Although we're actually the ones talking behind someone's back, since we're facing the speakers.
we could orient ourselves to face everyone by heading to a side

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: March 03, 2020, 04:30:00 am »

{argument}

+1, who is the they?

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: March 03, 2020, 02:31:46 pm »

{argument}

+1, who is the they?

+1

+1 to introducing ourselves. Recommend we apologize for eavesdropping as well, it was unintentional.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: March 03, 2020, 02:56:40 pm »

{argument}

+1, who is the they?

+1

+1 to introducing ourselves. Recommend we apologize for eavesdropping as well, it was unintentional.
+1

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: March 03, 2020, 02:58:55 pm »

Fair point. Let's revise like so:

"You know, it's not polite to speak about someone behind their back." Make an appearance: hands raised, friendly smile, keep our head down.

"Apologies, ladies and gents-- didn't intend to eavesdrop, but I just came in and I couldn't help but overhear. If I might put in my two cents?"

Speak our piece.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: March 03, 2020, 03:00:45 pm »

Fair point. Let's revise like so:

"You know, it's not polite to speak about someone behind their back." Make an appearance: hands raised, friendly smile, keep our head down.

"Apologies, ladies and gents-- didn't intend to eavesdrop, but I just came in and I couldn't help but overhear. If I might put in my two cents?"

Speak our piece.

+1
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 94