Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 112240 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #1065 on: March 18, 2020, 12:05:52 pm »

(A-Team theme plays)

Gentlemen, we are now a part of the resistance.

"...Yes ma'am." Look demure.
+1

+1 for sure though, let's follow her lead for the time being.
+1
"Alright then. The prison I was talking about is quite a distance north of here, in the mountains. I think  the closest town to it is about 30 or 40 miles away. Its a hole in the ground where they put people they don't want to see again but don't want to kill for whatever reason. I think before we go storming the place we should try and find out who is actually in there, so we can see if it will even be worth the effort.  We'll need a list of detainees or the memories of someone who knows it."

She rubs her forehead with her fingertips, thinking.

"They won't be publicly available...might be able to find it in the records of checkpoint along the route though. They'd have to record the passage of the prison transport and account for all the prisoners. If we're lucky they'll record them by name instead of by number."

She gets out a piece of paper and a pen and starts sketching.

"Most checkpoints are set up like this. You have a big concrete tower outside, a wall with a motorized gate, and then some buildings beyond that wall.  Some of them are single sided, like this, and some are double sided, where you have two gates and two towers, to catch people coming and going.  A checkpoint for a prison will...probably be single sided. 10-15 guards, working in shifts to keep the checkpoint active 24 hours a day. Recent logs are gonna be in the tower, but anything older than a week or so are probably in the main building, in the commander's office.

You might, with your skeletons, be able to sneak in close enough to take the entire place by force. Likely they'll only have 5 or so guards on duty at any particular time, you might be able to wipe them out and move on to their comrades before they can mount a proper response. Alternatively you could try to sneak in and avoid detection entirely, breaking into the commander's room and getting the logs without his knowledge. That will be hard though; that main building is also likely to be the barracks of the guards stationed there; it won't be a nice empty building for you to scamper around in.  You could also try to disguise yourself in some way so they willingly give you those records but...that is dangerous. If they figure you out you'll have lost any advantage of surprise or numbers."

She looks up at you. "Any ideas?"

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: March 18, 2020, 01:31:28 pm »

"If we want to go through the gate normally, what ID or documents will they require?

How would people inside the main building be likely to react to a mouse scampering around? Also, could we disguise a skeleton more easily than ourself?"

I'm wondering if we can use a wiserat as a scout.
I'm also thinking we couldld get us and some skeletons in through the gate normally, then sneak into the main building - it's got to have some entrance other than the main one.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 01:33:28 pm by Eschar »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: March 18, 2020, 01:51:06 pm »

Wiserats have served us fantastically in the past.

It's possible they have necromancers holed up in there, but I'd be less worried about one them revealing us. I assume we have an enemy-if-my-enemy relationship with them, in general.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: March 18, 2020, 09:58:33 pm »

It's possible they have necromancers holed up in there

Well, this is just a checkpoint, so I don't think they'd use the big guns on a common, low-risk, low-sensitivity facility.

Unless they've figured out there was a necromancer at Axeminster recently.

I assume we have an enemy-if-my-enemy relationship with them, in general.

Well necromancers don't necessarily seem to be tied to any common goals or allegiances, so I assume they could be just as loyal (or unloyal - see Original Kelley) to the government as any other citizen. So the aren't necessarily the enemy of our enemy. Nor does there seem to be a stigma against necromancers (for example Dwarf Fortress's habit of running out people who don't age) which might create a sense of solidarity.

They might regard us as a powerful potential ally or mentor/information source, though, since we are deeply connected to Alex Famous Necromancer Kelley. Or at least as someone who is very risky to antagonize.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 10:01:52 pm by Eschar »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: March 19, 2020, 08:52:38 am »

"If we want to go through the gate normally, what ID or documents will they require?

How would people inside the main building be likely to react to a mouse scampering around? Also, could we disguise a skeleton more easily than ourself?"

I'm also thinking we couldld get us and some skeletons in through the gate normally, then sneak into the main building - it's got to have some entrance other than the main one.
+1

Just going to say that I don't think killing everyone at the gate is a good idea.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: March 19, 2020, 09:00:06 am »

+1

Just going to say that I don't think killing everyone at the gate is a good idea.
+1 Agreed, killing will draw too much attention and puts us in unnecessary danger

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: March 19, 2020, 10:13:25 am »

And will attract attention afterwards - investigations into checkpoint mass murder might provide evidence that a necromancer was involved. If we sneak in and out, it's just a theft - might not even be noticed for a while since I assume these are old files.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1072 on: March 22, 2020, 10:08:42 am »

It's possible they have necromancers holed up in there

Well, this is just a checkpoint, so I don't think they'd use the big guns on a common, low-risk, low-sensitivity facility.

Unless they've figured out there was a necromancer at Axeminster recently.

I assume we have an enemy-if-my-enemy relationship with them, in general.

Well necromancers don't necessarily seem to be tied to any common goals or allegiances, so I assume they could be just as loyal (or unloyal - see Original Kelley) to the government as any other citizen. So the aren't necessarily the enemy of our enemy. Nor does there seem to be a stigma against necromancers (for example Dwarf Fortress's habit of running out people who don't age) which might create a sense of solidarity.

They might regard us as a powerful potential ally or mentor/information source, though, since we are deeply connected to Alex Famous Necromancer Kelley. Or at least as someone who is very risky to antagonize.

There is somewhat of a social stigma against necromancers because of their connection to Kelley. He was a necromancer so necromancers in general are somewhat looked down upon. However, thats a social stigma, not an official one, and the army still makes use of necromancers.

"That gate likely doesn't lead many places other than the prison...so you'd need to impersonate someone who is going to that prison for some reason. Supplies, prisoner transport, repair, something like that. We'd need a military vehicle, unless the cover was of an official coming to inspect or something where they'd have a personal car, and the proper papers and ID. We'd need Bruce's help again, and we'd need to know what those papers would look like. Proper code numbers and such."

"They might try to kill it, since its vermin, but I don't think it would immediately raise any alarms. A bird perched on a roof or something of the kind should be fine as well. Basically, the closer to a normal occurrence something is, the more likely it is to be overlooked. Disguising a skeleton is likely easier than disguising yourself if only before you have more room to work with on that skeleton. The lack of flesh means you can guild it up however you like.  But...it might not stand up to as much scrutiny. Your skeleton works fine on the street, bundled up, with no one really looking at him closely; but if someone were to, say, have a photo ID and be staring at him closely to check if the ID matches him...it might get dicey. "

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: March 23, 2020, 02:03:16 pm »

Sounds like we should send some rats in first to get a idea of the layout of the place before we go in.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: March 23, 2020, 02:17:25 pm »

Oh hey guys, a light bulb just went off as to the conversation there.

I meant there could be necromancer prisoners in the place. So even after we get in with ratwises, we should keep an eye out.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: March 23, 2020, 02:35:28 pm »

Ohhhh.

Yep, I definitely see your "enemy-of-my-enemy" point now.

But this particular mission, the one we're speculating about sending a wiserat to scout, is just the transportation checkpoint, right?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 02:39:03 pm by Eschar »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1076 on: March 24, 2020, 09:45:42 am »

Send rats through the sewer system to climb/swim up to the toilets while keeping track of their location. They'll very carefully take a look around and come back. Then they'll report about the kind of restroom they arrived at. The most lavish and least dirty and most private is likely to belong to the most important person/people. And their office can't be far.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: March 24, 2020, 10:44:14 am »

Send rats through the sewer system to climb/swim up to the toilets while keeping track of their location. They'll very carefully take a look around and come back. Then they'll report about the kind of restroom they arrived at. The most lavish and least dirty and most private is likely to belong to the most important person/people. And their office can't be far.

That's-- brilliant. And devious. And brilliant. Yes. +1
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: March 24, 2020, 10:53:52 am »

+1

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: March 24, 2020, 11:26:38 am »

+1

+1.

we have a winner
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 94