Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 116115 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #210 on: February 05, 2020, 08:46:17 am »

They've changed a lot of stuff about turrets recently, but I don't remember what all they did.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 05, 2020, 12:10:55 pm »

The release demo of UltiCa has finally been added to mainline! If you'd like to try it out, just select it from your tileset options in the latest experimental!

UltiCa is a community-driven tileset aiming for a realistic style with 8-bit inspired graphics, similar to classic games like Ultima VII. Although still missing a lot of tiles, it has now passed the threshold where I'd call it "playable", and many of the core contributors are playing with it these days. Still, be aware, like many of the older tilesets in the repo, there are many holes in this. On the other hand, unlike the older tilesets, we're adding scores of new tiles in an ever-encroaching effort to catch up. You too can join this effort! Check out the discord, or the #graphics-and-sound room on the official discord, or just start PRing changes at https://github.com/I-am-Erk/CDDA-Tilesets/ if you're heckin' confident. If you're not comfortable with GitHub, you can post submissions in the Discord for feedback, and we'll add them when they're ready.

[h2]Screenshots[/h2]
Non cute style!

80s inspired aesthetic!

Common field effects!

Now with far fewer fillers, but be ready for a few semicolons!

Bonus: basic winter filler art!

If you have any concerns with prominent missing art or any glitches, please log them on the discord

GET IT? LOG THEM?

[h2]What's incomplete?[/h2]
Vehicles look terrible by intention. This is my protest until we can get a better vehicle drawing engine. There are a lot of simple filler tiles that need smooth transitions and other details like that (like the badly tiled snow in the screenshot above, or the stone walls that look great but don't have a side view). I think the most jarring issue at the moment is the lack of monster sprites, so I'll see if I can work on that over the next couple days.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 05, 2020, 12:12:05 pm »

Does anyone know if there have been any recent changes to turrets? I'm actually playing Cataclysm, though it's in a version that's a couple months old. In this build, it seems that the only way to determine the range of an autonomous gun turret is to walk towards it until it fires, and I was wondering if anyone had bothered putting those laser dots back in, or maybe adding a warning sound.
Turrets are supposed to have a warning sound. I've also removed the majority of deadly turrets from the overworld, most of them should be firing sponge rounds.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 05, 2020, 12:37:26 pm »

Does anyone know if there have been any recent changes to turrets? I'm actually playing Cataclysm, though it's in a version that's a couple months old. In this build, it seems that the only way to determine the range of an autonomous gun turret is to walk towards it until it fires, and I was wondering if anyone had bothered putting those laser dots back in, or maybe adding a warning sound.
Turrets are supposed to have a warning sound. I've also removed the majority of deadly turrets from the overworld, most of them should be firing sponge rounds.
The warning sound was a bit quiet from what I remember, but it's been a while since I last checked. Is it still only 50?

Edit: Or was it 60? Either way, that's not enough.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 05, 2020, 01:04:25 pm »

I use ASCII, but those are some good looking sprites.

Needs more cute though. ;P
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2020, 02:17:53 pm »

I guess it's about time I upgraded, then.
Does "most turrets" include the factory?

EDIT: Oh wow, examine now picks the tile automatically. This is really messing with my muscle memory. Can I turn it off?
EDI2: I also keep reopening doors while trying to close them.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 03:00:21 pm by Soadreqm »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 05, 2020, 03:10:15 pm »

I've been meaning to give your tileset a good test run yee, Erk. And likely one of these days work on mod_tileset stuff for it. Just been a lot to juggle lately. @.@

In other news, I recently did the first phase of my planned work to update Medieval Mod Reborn, the shield updates: https://github.com/chaosvolt/cdda_medieval_mod_reborn/pull/3

Because, it must be remembered, a lot of the stats shields have had for YEARS were a holdover from their pre-PR incarnation, before BLOCK_WHILE_WORN, back when I had them as armor that covers the torso and head (and thus used a ridiculously low coverage percentage as a way to fake block chance).
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 05, 2020, 05:08:10 pm »

So as it turns out, I can make 'e'xamine still prompt for direction when standing next to exactly one object that can be interacted with, but I can't make it prompt for direction when standing next to zero, even though 'e'xamining a tile with nothing on it is still a valid action. This is less awful, though it's still somewhat awful. Can't just e-dir to see if an object can be interacted with, have to press e and see if it prompts for direction. Can't use 'e' to see what tiles are, need to use 'x', which also prints location name, movement cost, lighting, tile properties (diggable, smashable, flat, etc.), cover percent and ambient air temperature, with the information I want between the first two of these. And it needs to be explicitly cancelled.

I suppose I'm biased, since I've gotten really accustomed to the way it was before, but this really feels worse.

ViiK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 06, 2020, 12:28:27 pm »

So as it turns out, I can make 'e'xamine still prompt for direction when standing next to exactly one object that can be interacted with, but I can't make it prompt for direction when standing next to zero, even though 'e'xamining a tile with nothing on it is still a valid action. This is less awful, though it's still somewhat awful. Can't just e-dir to see if an object can be interacted with, have to press e and see if it prompts for direction. Can't use 'e' to see what tiles are, need to use 'x', which also prints location name, movement cost, lighting, tile properties (diggable, smashable, flat, etc.), cover percent and ambient air temperature, with the information I want between the first two of these. And it needs to be explicitly cancelled.

I suppose I'm biased, since I've gotten really accustomed to the way it was before, but this really feels worse.

Have you already disabled part of this feature?
Options->interface->auto select if exactly one valid target

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 08, 2020, 04:10:50 am »

Yeah, I have. And after playing for a bit, it's actually not that bad. It was really bad without disabling auto-select, but the "there's nothing to examine" thing has only tripped me up a couple times, and never in a situation where it really mattered.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 08, 2020, 07:13:56 am »

Anyone have a particular way they stack their loot? I’m looking for a good one for myself ‘cause I keep on just dumping it on the floor and having to sort through the mess whenever I want to make anything.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 08, 2020, 08:10:46 am »

Anyone have a particular way they stack their loot? I’m looking for a good one for myself ‘cause I keep on just dumping it on the floor and having to sort through the mess whenever I want to make anything.
I've mostly just used the dump it in specific piles option.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 08, 2020, 08:11:26 am »

Generally speaking I just tend to have a bunch of categorized piles.

So I'll have a pile of perishable food, a pile of nonperishable food, a pile of drinks. A pile of books, a pile of tools, a pile of raw materials, a pile of random electronic scrap and stuff. Etc.

Also if you weren't aware you don't actually need stuff in your inventory to craft with it (unless they've changed something, I haven't played too much of the recent versions). As long as you can see an item and its within ~5 tile radius you can use it straight from the crafting menu. So if you keep all your stuff in the same room you shouldn't actually have to sort through them too often.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 08, 2020, 03:15:31 pm »

that. learn how the Zone system works and try to organize all the stuff in places close to your main crafting tile. albeit it also comes down to the size of your base. most of my runs inside cities started in a church so i had everything piled around the kitchen. for innawoods scenarios you can pretty much survive out of a 2x2 tile base (fiber mat, water tile, shelter and fire ring).

in this game you dont really need to have much space, a single tile can support a lot of droppables inside (unless its dirt, not sure why it works like that but anyways).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 11, 2020, 06:20:59 pm »

Why do the graphics now look like garbage?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 57