Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 116204 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #585 on: July 10, 2020, 11:46:14 am »

In a lot of cases you can argue that martial arts is a straight upgrade to your playstyle. I don't quite have the knowhow off the top of my head on what martial arts you can go for but at least I can cover the sorta benefits you get out of it.

Each martial art tends to do some but often not all of the following things:
  • Increase your base damage
  • Place debuffs on opponents
  • Increase your dodge capabilities
  • Lets you block with a limb or a weapon
  • Get bonuses from your stats in combat
Additionally some martial arts can have attacks that trigger off of enemy conditions or conditions that are granted by the martial art.

I think the martial art "level" you are at is governed by your unarmed skill for unarmed martial arts and melee for armed ones.

And that about covers the basics. Martial arts are a force multiplier to your combat capabilities, but there needs to be a force to multiply in the first place. They're not all made equal so why not try out a martial arts character your next time around and give them high skill and see what happens.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 10, 2020, 03:16:25 pm »

I'm playing with the Poken style from the mythic martial arts mod. Its super effective at killing basic zombies! Usually able to wade my way through a horde. You have to remember to keep your hands free, otherwise you'll be half way through a fight and see you're still holding a box of cookies or a magazine.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 11, 2020, 06:33:27 am »

I'll add to the idea that Martial Arts is a way of life by saying that only a small handful of Martial Arts can be learned in-game, and they involve wading into the center of town.  I've tried many times to have a character learn Martial Arts.  I think one character actually found the skill books, but the zombies got them before they could leave the Dojo.  And its random: Some dojos don't have martial arts books.

So generally, its something you decide during character creation.  I'd suggest putting 2-3 points in unarmed, since many don't work (or work well) until you do that.  Also read the descriptions, some martial arts are based upon a certain stat.  And I'd generally advise increasing strength above the base, in any event.  Don't forget dodge!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 11, 2020, 07:23:04 am »

Apparently it should be possible to learn martial arts from NPCs as well. I know there are some manuals not on the drop table but there is maybe one martial art you can't start with I think.

Capoeira and Zui Quan can be learned through a CBM or NPC, but their manual to the best of my knowledge doesn't spawn.

I think I've seen manuals in libraries and the like, besides just dojos. If you don't take a martial art at character creation you'll likely be able to pick one up at some point where you are able to start clearing towns up. It might be something you won't want to use though.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 12, 2020, 01:34:20 pm »

It's possible to learn them from NPCs, but not currently widely implemented. I'd love to replace more of the books with NPC teachers that might ask you to do missions or something to get access to the art.

Also I'm not sharing this too widely yet, but since bay12 is one of the first places I posted my tileset art, I'll share it here.

There's a lot more than this, but yeah. This does work in game, and when it rotates you get different view angles. It gets a bit funkier the closet you get to 45⁰ (that's an engine problem) but overall, vehicles are about to look a lot better
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 12, 2020, 01:47:12 pm »

Beautiful, Erk

(Looking forward to seeing that 45 angle ;) )
Love, scriver~

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 12, 2020, 10:08:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This looks pretty good Erk. Speaking of is there any tilesets people will recommend I look at? Not feeling the stuff that comes with the game right now.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 12, 2020, 11:09:19 pm »

Dead People is still pretty good, dunno if you've ever used it. It used to come prepackaged but I believe the author is using materials they don't strictly 100% have permission to use legally, so the devs axed it.
Black lives matter.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 12, 2020, 11:11:27 pm »

So thats where that went. Ahwell.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 12, 2020, 11:54:54 pm »

Don't get me wrong, the tileset itself still exists and gets worked on. It just doesn't come with CDDA any more.
Black lives matter.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 13, 2020, 04:48:53 am »

Playing the Military Base scenario spawns you in a fully-stocked military warehouse.  No guns (except on the zombies), but enough MREs and water bottles to last several years.  Actually makes me think: "Why should I leave?"
So you just hold down the wait button until zombie evolution starts spawning things that can knock down the walls?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 13, 2020, 05:43:00 am »

The deadpeople tileset is now found there (and is indeed still worked on) :
https://github.com/SomeDeadGuy/UndeadPeopleTileset

That said, as i'm probably going to get a play again, is it recommended to get the latest experimental or is it too broken in its current state and i should get the stable version ?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 13, 2020, 06:29:44 am »

VAN
I'm liking the way the vehicles are looking, I'll be cool to see what the rest of them turn out like.

Also it reminds me that I was always disappointed that I couldn't paint my car.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 13, 2020, 08:59:35 am »

The deadpeople tileset is now found there (and is indeed still worked on) :
https://github.com/SomeDeadGuy/UndeadPeopleTileset

That said, as i'm probably going to get a play again, is it recommended to get the latest experimental or is it too broken in its current state and i should get the stable version ?
Stable version still has some bugs apparently. And the experimentals still have introduced some new bugs lately. I'm on 10828 personally and the worst the game is doing is trying to spawn loaded harmonicas.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 13, 2020, 09:03:54 am »

Has anyone tried what the fishing thing is all about? I mean, I doubt I'll be living close to a fishiable place but its always good to know.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 57