Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 116125 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #705 on: August 13, 2020, 06:37:45 pm »

You could try, you know, complaining about things that are true. I would not generally recommend assuming random_dragon is accurate in these sort of claims. (eta: it appears even random_dragon realized this)

{
    "type": "recipe",
    "result": "crude_picklock",
    "id_suffix": "from wire",
    "category": "CC_OTHER",
    "subcategory": "CSC_OTHER_TOOLS",
    "skill_used": "fabrication",
    "time": "5 m",
    "autolearn": true,
    "qualities": [ [ { "id": "HAMMER_FINE", "level": 1 }, { "id": "WRENCH", "level": 1 } ] ],
    "components": [ [ [ "wire", 2 ] ] ]
  }

Lockpicks only require a saw if you're trying to make them from large pieces of scrap metal. Otherwise, the only semi-specialized thing you need is a pair of pliers.

In other news, I haven't updated you guys lately but holy carp ultica is coming along.

Vehicles are nearly done, somehow, and I have added in some monster sprites here and there. I'll be removing the demo tag shortly.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 07:09:09 pm by Erk »
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: August 13, 2020, 06:50:34 pm »

realtalk: cataclysmdda would benefit massively with each dev cycle(a letter release) having a distinct focus for all contributions that will be made during the time, it would reduce the consistent shitstorms that never go away imo
That's a fun idea, but it's not even vaguely related to how development on a project like this works. It's like saying "Realtalk: cars would get way more gas mileage if they always drove downhill."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: August 13, 2020, 07:34:42 pm »

It'll still be softlocked without MST Extra if you spawn with locked bars between you and any light source, even with wires being usable, because that recipe lacks BLIND_EASY. That was a concern back in the day (and the reason I added fire ploughs to MST Extra). It'll depend on the layout of the place that's set as the spawn location, obviously. Current feedback suggests that at least some spawns  give enough light to get any crafting done, which is good.

But, you know, that's why I ASKED if that was still the status quo or not, and only mentioned prior experience to clarify what I was hoping got changed.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: August 13, 2020, 08:36:26 pm »

realtalk: cataclysmdda would benefit massively with each dev cycle(a letter release) having a distinct focus for all contributions that will be made during the time, it would reduce the consistent shitstorms that never go away imo
That's a fun idea, but it's not even vaguely related to how development on a project like this works. It's like saying "Realtalk: cars would get way more gas mileage if they always drove downhill."

yeah i know but it's more like
a ton of the stuff in cataclysm comes in waves of massive interest by devs which leads to unfocused development that leads to these massive drawn out dev cycles with only maybe a month of two of feature freeze bug fixing.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: August 13, 2020, 10:18:35 pm »

We're aware of how the cycles work, that's how it is when it's a collaborative effort with most of the work done by volunteers who come and go on a whim. If you told me I could only contribute to ranged weapon balance for the next few months, I'd just leave. We'd still be waiting for 0.A to release. (In fact, trying to herd cats to a single task is why 0.E stayed in feature freeze for so long, which wound up causing some major problems)

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about with massive dev cycles though. We're in feature freeze for 0.F right now, and 0.E released four months ago.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: August 14, 2020, 08:29:43 am »

Well, I'm just going to mention that we often hear about how the changes have hindered the players, and rarely hear much discussion on the actual improvements to the playing experience.  0.E is massively better than 0.D

Also, I think most complaints are aimed with the hope of making thing better.  Discussions about which version of the developmental versions is working is mainly about balancing play-ability and features.  In other words, getting the most up to date version without crippling bugs, as defined by the player.  For example, I'm sure there is much disagreement about whether the freezing due to wet bug, which can be treated with the easy-to-craft towel, is a crippling bug.  I avoided that version, but I could probably accept it now, along with the realization that rain might be deadly.

And despite my criticism about how easy it is to dry off in real life, it is also true that in winter survival scenarios, staying dry is vital to staying warm and healthy.  In winter camping, you spend a lot of time trying to wear enough to keep warm but not enough to sweat, and you change socks 2-3 times a day, gloves too if you got the spares.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: August 14, 2020, 09:18:38 am »

I think I just realized that there was a change to knife spears? Theres a simple version you can craft without any skills, and once you get to survival one you can upgrade it into an proper one. That was probably added in early 0.E though, and I just noticed because I have been starting with nail boards now...
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: August 14, 2020, 01:40:55 pm »

I added the knife spear fix many moons ago, definitely before 0.E

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: August 14, 2020, 03:36:11 pm »

Do pinecones do anything anymore?  I remember you used to be able to get pine nuts from them.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: August 14, 2020, 06:30:58 pm »

Do pinecones do anything anymore?  I remember you used to be able to get pine nuts from them.
You can throw 'em at zombies to annoy them.

Currently I think they're just an easy fuel for fires. Maybe someone can make a pinecone and peanut butter bird feeder.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: August 15, 2020, 03:28:21 am »

It got removed as the varieties common to New England evidently aren't viable for pine nut production. Just use MST Extra instead and harvest pine bark: https://github.com/chaosvolt/MST_Extra_Mod
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: August 16, 2020, 01:53:20 am »

Wow. I gather you've never tried to eat cambion.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: August 16, 2020, 04:14:34 am »

Wow. I gather you've never tried to eat cambion.
Why are we eating half demons?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: August 16, 2020, 05:03:18 am »

They're full with vitamin d
Love, scriver~

Eschar

• Bay Watcher