Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423701 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Tom Hanks and his wife have covid, and I get to post it because you all are slowpoke losers with covid.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

Also apparently forbid cargo import? It's funny, I don't think I've ever physically heard a stock market die before. Weirdest noise I ever did hear.
Quickly, sacrifice another economist to the Stonks Spirits! Numbers must go up!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

the government officially forbade gatherings of groups of more than 500 people. Which is a pretty huge deal, Sweden has extensive rights of assembly. 
Does that mean public transport is closed down as well, for every day at rush hour, there are 500+ people waiting for trains and buses at central stations to go to work?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Also apparently forbid cargo import? It's funny, I don't think I've ever physically heard a stock market die before. Weirdest noise I ever did hear.
Stocks were already nearly dead, this is just mailing the investors a cartel-style execution video.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Donald 'we gotta keep the numbers down' Trump is keeping the wrong numbers down.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Don't worry, soon he'll go into the history books as Donald 'the first president to die of corona' Trump

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

WTS Dutch Gouda cheese, only 30,000 dollar per kilo. I know some Mexicans who can get it across the border.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I don't wholly believe the soundbites that are spinning around in social media concerning the situation in Italy... but the hard data is that it is, in fact, worse than anywhere else.

We will have to wait and see, but I think that they were just 'early adopters'.  Iran who also reported early infections (19th February as opposed to 21st in Italy, I think) has been reporting numbers only 10-20% less, and they ennacted pretty strong quarantines very early on, so I think that the scale is right if not the precise numbers.

By the way the numbers I mentioned above for Italy come from the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protezione_Civile which can be relied upon more than some 'social medial soundbite'.
Didnt mean your numbers. I had in mind a supposed recording of an italian doctor which I got through social media.

The public data on Italy shows that they´re having worse results than anywhere else. That´s hard to argue with.

Other countries had infections earlier and are managing it better.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Okay, they're apparently saying it may have just been trump's brains leaking out his ears and him being unable to read off a teleprompter without fucking things up. I guess we'll know more later. Maybe.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

Now the US public will realize shit’s hitting the fan now that famous people are getting the Corona.
Like, 10 minutes after the Tom Hanks news came out an NBA player tested positive right before a game.
The NBA ended up putting the rest of the season on hiatus and quarantined the two teams in their locker rooms for testing
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 10:07:24 pm by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile

The public data on Italy shows that they´re having worse results than anywhere else. That´s hard to argue with.

Yep, that's why I picked on them with regard to Reelya's figures.  4500 infections in 90 days vs. 12000 in 45 on an exponential scale?  Assuming that there haven't been multiple independent sources of infection that implies that the baseline rate of infection there is a lot higher than what was assumed in the theoretical figures.  And yes, this is complicated by the fact that there probably have been multiple 'patient zeroes' - yet to be established - but it is a useful real world example.

Especially since the ealier discussion was about the expected number of cases in the USA going forward, and it seems (to me at least) that their response so far has actually been far worse than that of the Italians.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It really ticks me off that people are like "so it's just the flu." "The flu" doesn't leave otherwise healthy adults in critical condition. It's shitty, but when people try to downplay this I find myself hoping they catch it.

Yep, at work today someone was saying that since it "only" has a 2% death rate then none of us need to worry. I then waved my hand around the room and pointed out that we have more than 50 people just in this room, it's a call center, which are guaranteed respiratory disease hubs, and that a 2% death rate would mean 1-2 of the people in this room would be likely to die if there's an outbreak. We have some older workers as well as younger ones.

Yes, it's just like the flu, except you're 40 times more likely to require hospitalization, and 20 times more likely to die. So "only 20 times worse than the flu, how bad could that be?" Most people mean "a cold" when they say "the flu". They don't realize how bad the actual "flu" is. Then imagine 20 times worse than that, and that's Covid-19.

BTW Australia may become responsible for killing Tom Hanks: he's here shooting a movie, and confirmed to have the virus.

I mentioned the Tom Hanks thing to another new guy at work, and he sat for a second and then said he doesn't believe it because it's "fake news". Clearly this guy isn't the sharpest tack in the box. Sure, there's stuff you need to take with a grain of salt in the news, but that's just not how it works. Decided to put this guy in the "don't bother to discuss stuff with" category because he has clear reality comprehension issues.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 12:19:49 am by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

It really ticks me off that people are like "so it's just the flu." "The flu" doesn't leave otherwise healthy adults in critical condition. It's shitty, but when people try to downplay this I find myself hoping they catch it.

Yep, at work today someone was saying that since it "only" has a 2% death rate then none of us need to worry. I then waved my hand around the room and pointed out that we have more than 50 people just in this room, it's a call center, which are guaranteed respiratory disease hubs, and that a 2% death rate would mean 1-2 of the people in this room would be likely to die if there's an outbreak. We have some older workers as well as younger ones.

Yes, it's just like the flu, except you're 40 times more likely to require hospitalization, and 20 times more likely to die. So "only 20 times worse than the flu, how bad could that be?" Most people mean "a cold" when they say "the flu". They don't realize how bad the actual "flu" is. Then imagine 20 times worse than that, and that's Covid-19.

BTW Australia may become responsible for killing Tom Hanks: he's here shooting a movie, and confirmed to have the virus.

I mentioned the Tom Hanks thing to another new guy at work, and he sat for a second and then said he doesn't believe it because it's "fake news". Clearly this guy isn't the sharpest tack in the box. Sure, there's stuff you need to take with a grain of salt in the news, but that's just not how it works. Decided to put this guy in the "don't bother to discuss stuff with" category because he has clear reality comprehension issues.
I think this is on the "panic" mode of the panic vs complacency debate. The odds are good for Tom Hanks. The odds are good for any individual person. The problem comes when (like in Italy) everything happens at once and the healthcare system becomes saturated.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nautilu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hate these kinds of idiots. I saw someone post "How come I havent heard about it being in South America or Mexico? Then its not real". Maybe because he doesnt speak Spanish or read Mexican newspapers. If you are ignorant of something doesnt make it not exist. Too many morons living in their own little bubble feeling like the world owes them information that even the best doctors cant predict.
I swear I hope the virus kills off these morons. If it does, then Im sure we are living in heaven, if not then we are in hell.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I'm worried about the reluctance to engage even in minimal stuff. Some people are complaining bitterly about things that should be common sense. Like cancelling parades 🙄

Once again the problem is largely not on an individual basis but on a social one. Not everyone will get it and most people will have a mild case. What you do at an individual level is not so much for you as  so that, if everyone does it, the infection rate is reduced to a manageable level.

Maybe the only way to get everyone to do basic things is to place the emphasis on individual contagions, I guess.

Tbh until a couple of days ago I was more worried about people panicking,  going to A&E with bullshit, collapsing it and potentially getting infected. The reluctance to do even basic things is freaking me out now.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 04:57:14 am by ChairmanPoo »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 459