Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423751 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: Coronavirus World Tour 2020
« Reply #1275 on: March 19, 2020, 09:38:57 am »

McTraveller: In order to know how many recovered we would need to have known how many had it in the first place, and literally only started rolling out tests like a week ago.

Frumple: Is crow plague a weird translation from somewhere else that I'm missing seeing any other references to or a personal preference thing?

COVID-19 isn't vague or difficult to type, and most importantly it's a unique and non-prejudicially loaded identifier for something which I still recall being tied to pangolins which ended up getting eaten because of stupid goddamn folk bullshit providing a stable market for poachers to supply, and fuck every goddamn one of them and all the people who encourage/engage in all that vile nonsense about rhino horn dick magic or pangolin scale longevity cuntery.

Calling it crow plague makes it sound like something spread by contact or consumption of crows to someone here in the US, no clue if there is some  loaded trap bullshit like the big orange cuntrag calling it china virus to get a reaction and distract from his incompetence.
An analogy would be if the officials in Florida screwed something up we wouldn't immediately jump to thinking it was a monolithic failing of the federal American government.
Uh, no, when Florida screwed the pooch in 2000 and the supreme court ended the recount everyone here in the states was far more pissed off at the federal side of things and the failure of the supposedly impartial judicial branch, though that is in large part because nobody expected Florida to be sane, orderly, or responsible back then, nor did we expect them to do so in 2016.

Maybe use a better example, Florida having any say on any decisions which have any impact on any other states is a massive failing of the federal government for not enforcing more control over a state mainly known for one of the highest concentrations of our worst decision makers: old people choose in huge numbers to migrate down there so they can live on a big floppy dong jutting out into the path of too fucking many hurricanes and rub elbows with angeldust/bath salt smoking alligator wrestling cannibals.

While circumcising babies is monstrous, snipping florida off would have been the correct decision at a federal level.

Interestingly enough, all of the efforts which are ongoing and may end up mitigating the worst outcomes from this pandemic here were all initiated at the state, county, or city levels, because the top level response has only just now barely reached the level that would have made a difference two months ago.

So far we're probably going to hit 10k confirmed cases today, and I'm gonna call the current 150 deaths count optimistic to say the least, but a couple more days and we'll get a better look at just how fucked that's gonna end up looking probably.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: March 19, 2020, 09:46:27 am »

tied to pangolins which ended up getting eaten because of stupid goddamn folk bullshit providing a stable market for poachers to supply, and fuck every goddamn one of them and all the people who encourage/engage in all that vile nonsense about rhino horn dick magic or pangolin scale longevity cuntery.
+1

An analogy would be if the officials in Florida screwed something up we wouldn't immediately jump to thinking it was a monolithic failing of the federal American government.
Censorship is implemented, encouraged and enforced by highest level of government. It is not like it was introduced by local government. This is a good example how censorship caused not merely intellectual/moral issues but allowed it to escalate into global problem, with thousands dead.

----

On topic of lies: "Why Telling People They Don’t Need Masks Backfired. And notice the wording! It’s not newsworthy that the government deceived us, it’s newsworthy that the deception didn’t achieve its intended goal." from https://slatestarcodex.com/2020/03/19/coronalinks-3-19-20/ linking to https://archive.is/iNBGr ( https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/opinion/coronavirus-face-masks.html )

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: March 19, 2020, 09:47:17 am »

Frumple: Is crow plague a weird translation from somewhere else that I'm missing seeing any other references to or a personal preference thing?

It's a play on words. Family Corvidae includes the crows.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: March 19, 2020, 09:47:56 am »

Think CORVID-19 instead of COVID-19
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: March 19, 2020, 09:52:08 am »

https://slatestarcodex.com/2020/03/19/coronalinks-3-19-20/ has many interesting links including https://covid19map.tech/ - tests/population ratio map

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 19, 2020, 09:54:22 am »

Ah, mea culpa on assuming it was probably some obscure racial jab then, we get kinda overloaded with it here so rather than jump to corvid from coronavirus disease 2019 I'm like "wtf, is this some shit where people from one arbitrary part of the world said they were hawks and their chosen 'other' group from an arbitrarily nearby but slightly different part of the world were crows" instantly.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 19, 2020, 09:56:13 am »

McTraveller: In order to know how many recovered we would need to have known how many had it in the first place, and literally only started rolling out tests like a week ago.

I think we'll never really know. The more info that comes out the more likely it is that we have  anything from 5 to 10 to who knows how many asymptomatic carriers for every case we see.

I've heard people suggest to use the korean data and extrapolate from the dead to get a better guesstimate about the number of infected in your country and the level of silent infection. They're probably right. Following that criteria Spain probably has like 100.000, Italy 500.000.

Thats why we need the lockdown. Otherwise it spreads eve faster, esp by morons who refuse to stay in and collapses your healthcare even faster
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 19, 2020, 09:58:39 am »

Meanwhile in the US, everyone has started hoarding guns and ammo.
Lots of first timers too, who never wanted a gun are now buying them even.
Gun shop owners see sales 3 times as high as on black friday. Ammo shelves are emptying.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 19, 2020, 10:05:32 am »

for the url, you put [url+(url)] instead of
Code: [Select]
[url=(url)] thus making the thing you intended not a link

Ah, thank you for the explanation.

The picture heading that, I guess, has little white antibodies swarming the virus.

They look like toiletpaper.
Oh shit... what do the hoarders know that we don't understand yet?

Is the trick not obtaining tp, but instead incorporating it into your immune system?

Should we be wrapping tp around our lymph nodes like tissue mummies and eating it off like a huge lizard consuming a shed?

I NEED ANSWERS NOW FOLKS, TIME IS CRITICAL HERE, I DON'T WANT TO STARTING EATING THIS TOILET PAPER AFTER I'VE BEEN SITTING ON IT OR AROUND THE DOG!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: March 19, 2020, 10:06:44 am »

Ammo shelves are emptying.
And in Poland after brief and localized panic buying everything is normal. At least in my city.

BTW, "ammo shelves" sounds to be unbelievably weird.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: March 19, 2020, 10:16:35 am »

I went to the shop to post a vital letter. First non-family human contact in a week.

I had a conversation with the till-person. And appreciated it.

The world is nuts.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: March 19, 2020, 10:20:29 am »

Gun shop owners see sales 3 times as high as on black friday. Ammo shelves are emptying.

All countries have strange cultural traditions that may seem unhealthy from a distance. For the USA it's widespread gun ownership, and very high gun-related dead counts, for other countries it is eating pangolins. Both may be difficult to change, but we can hope people will try.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: March 19, 2020, 10:21:49 am »

Strict gun laws in my state so I guess home defense is pointy objects and big sticks.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 19, 2020, 11:15:48 am »

Parents are going bugfuck nuts about this. Stepdad is planning to "lockdown" the entire house and demanding I wash my hands more - I do wash my hands regularly thank you very much. My mom made me do my weekend shopping today, and demanded I wear gloves while I do so. She also thinks this pandemic will "wipe out everybody" and that it's a chemical attack and wants to know who made it and who released it.

On the other hand, my job might be shutting down completely due to the lack of people willing to come in, while the company really wants to keep us open. That said, it's probable that store can operate for a few days or weeks without the department I work in. I'll know more tomorrow.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: March 19, 2020, 11:18:39 am »

Actually sensible precautions.

Crazy interpretation of events, mind.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 459