Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423922 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: Coronavirus World Tour 2020
« Reply #1365 on: March 20, 2020, 11:40:35 am »

Well we are not staying clean. Hospitalization and deaths are still rising, but that's because we underestimated this thing for too long just like everyone else.
Since thursday a week ago, people are now seeing the seriousness of the situation and are self-quarantaining.
The effects of this will start to show in a few days, because of incubation times. Hopefully.
Some people do, but definitely not everybody. The problem is that it will take two weeks to see if we are right or wrong. Cases in the Netherlands are likely to be terribly  underreported too. A friend of mine and several family members (who live at different locations) are likely infected, (pneumonia with the classical symptoms), but remain untested for over a week now just because it is not serious enough for them to be admitted to hospital.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: March 20, 2020, 03:07:23 pm »

Uh oh, Covid-19 has reached Madagascar...
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: March 20, 2020, 03:20:55 pm »

Uh oh, Covid-19 has reached Madagascar...

...  and Greenland
https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/efter-andet-coronatilfaelde-i-groenland-nuuk-lukker-helt-ned-og-flytrafik-stopper

I guess we will see biopoints spent on  aggressive mutations activating soon.  (/end joke)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: March 20, 2020, 03:23:32 pm »

So the Chinese team reviewing Italy's quarantine roasted the italians on TV
The quarantine is too lax and too many people are violating it
People going out with no masks, people gathering for dinners in hotels
etc

Right afterwards the Italian healthcare minister announced that the peak wouldn't be next week but the following one

Here the quarantine has been harder from the onset, but we started later and some people have tried to flout it, though they're being leaned heavily on
I hope we do better. But it'd be more accurate that I'm holding on to that idea because I keep looking at italy as a model to what awaits us

Meanwhile the UK is restricting things a bit but STILL refusing to enforce a lockdown and preparing instead for 6 months of "mitigation". They're also preparing makeshift mortuaries all over the country. In case they became necessary "which they expect and hope they wont". Make of this what you will

SNIP

I've realized that on the topic of quarantines and cultural nuances, in Spain we have a home-run advantage over Italy: we're fairly spiteful. In Italy people were violating quarantine with not too much going on, and the Chinese said as much.  Here, Spanish social medial is full of videos recorded by helpful neighbourgs who, with nothing else to do, stand in their balconies all day looking for quarantine breakers, and promtly calling the police. Then they  jeer and laugh at them while they are arrested, and they record it and upload it to the web. That's how we amuse ourselves these days.

It's not asian discipline but I think it will do, in a pinch.  :P

https://www.periodistadigital.com/gente/sucesos/20200320/salta-cuarentena-pide-auxilio-detiene-policia-vecinos-le-responden-baje-entras-vez-patrulla-noticia-689404282452/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 07:43:00 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: March 20, 2020, 06:23:58 pm »

All hail the bloody apocalypse, Brazil has now passed the 900 confirmed infected mark. It is expected that by next tuesday we'll hit 3k.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: March 20, 2020, 06:56:49 pm »

Reporting from New York for first time in a little while.

Shit is indeed spooky: At least, everyone is spooked. My building has taped a box of tissues to the elevator inside and asked people to use them when pushing the button and then dispose of in the wastebasket also left in there. It's not nearly as useful as the hand-sanitizer they also left in there and which miraculously remains unstolen (I suppose the elevator camera has something to do with that).

I was planning to get a haircut today, and then they went and closed most of the businesses. But at least liquor stores were deemed essential I guess.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: March 20, 2020, 07:23:46 pm »

I had to go to the grocery store this evening. It was interesting seeing what was and wasn't in the shelves.  Still absolutely zero paper products for some reason.  Lots of wine, lots of whisky, beer, tequila, brandy, gin - and zero vodka.  Why no vodka?

No frozen pizza, no eggs.  Only honey wheat bread, no plain wheat or white.  Milk - yes.  Almost no cereal.  All kinds of various juices - except apple.  Plenty of lunchmeat, baked goods, candy, chips.

Very baffling array, really.  Lots of fresh produce.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: March 20, 2020, 07:31:59 pm »

Almost all retail liquor in the US is limited to about 80 proof - vodka included - so it's unclear why only that variant was wiped out.  I prefer brandy myself.

Also there were no eggs still.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: March 20, 2020, 08:28:31 pm »

building has taped a box of tissues to the elevator inside and asked people to use them when pushing the button and then dispose of in the wastebasket also left in there.

This measure has been deployed in Shanghai too since February. In where I live though the elevator buttons are covered in saran wrap presumedly changed every two hours. I still wear a disposable glove on my right hand when I go out. When I need to used phone I take off the glove and handle the phone with right hand.

edit:
The paper is not for wiping the hand after pushing the button, but for being between the finger and the button when you push it, so there's no direct contact. Just in case people don't know...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:32:27 pm by coalboat »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: March 20, 2020, 09:09:11 pm »

Things in Guangdong are getting lax, now. Plenty of people have stopped wearing masks. I'm strapped in for round 2...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: March 20, 2020, 09:18:02 pm »

Things in Guangdong are getting lax, now. Plenty of people have stopped wearing masks. I'm strapped in for round 2...

FFFFFFFuuuu....

Damn man. I was looking at China as the example to follow in managing this. Don't fail us now  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Show your peers the pictures of the dead bodies hauled away in Italy.

Tell them that if we were stupid for not heeding the situation in China in time, they'd be doubly so if they got confident at this point.

Heck, appeal to their patriotism: if China keeps it's act together, the way things are going it will take precedence over the US as the leading world power. Anything

Really, if China burns now along the rest of us we.are.all.fucked. In all honesty we need things to happen in a domino fashion so that countries hit now stay clean later to help the ones that are hit later, and viceversa, and so on. So no, please, China can't get a Round Two, hopefully never, but at the very least until this shit is brought under control in the west. Because if we're all hit at once there won't be any relief coming, for anyone, anywhere.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 09:27:43 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: March 20, 2020, 09:32:56 pm »

Well, it is going to become a new deadly illness circulating across the world. Like flu is nowadays, killing around 200 000 - 600 000 people each year.

I have decent chance to be killed by it within next 50+ years.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: March 20, 2020, 09:39:44 pm »

It doesn't mutate rapidly like the flu, so no.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: March 20, 2020, 10:03:30 pm »

It doesn't mutate rapidly like the flu, so no.
Right, good point. Hopefully it will stay this way.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 459