Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421407 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #1665 on: March 25, 2020, 11:41:41 am »

Sorry, my ire with the "forgive student debt" thing is - why single out that type of debt?  Why not small business debt? Why not mortgage debt? Why not medical debt?  Such things need to be across the board, otherwise you end up with (usually adverse) side effects.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: March 25, 2020, 11:45:25 am »

Based on my understanding of what's almost-final in the package, no debt forgiveness but a lot of debt forbearance/delay - student debt, mortgage debt, rent debt (i.e. no evictions). Not entirely across the board, though, and obviously a delay is a lot different from forgiving it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: March 25, 2020, 11:54:30 am »

Sorry, my ire with the "forgive student debt" thing is - why single out that type of debt?  Why not small business debt? Why not mortgage debt? Why not medical debt?  Such things need to be across the board, otherwise you end up with (usually adverse) side effects.
In the US at least, student debt is uniquely bad because it cannot be discharged in bankruptcy and financially hobbles people at one of the most important periods of their working life.

That said, I'm ready to abolish usury if you are.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: March 25, 2020, 12:09:48 pm »

The economy would be far better off if old people could actually retire and young people weren't shackled by debt for just entering the workforce.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: March 25, 2020, 01:13:04 pm »

Hey Poo--- Maybe you can get the files I need (or want..)

My little nursing home is out in the boonies, and not terribly rich. We have absolutely no full-automated respirator of any kind in our kit, and would be unlikely to get one.  We DO have a crash bag with a manual bag respirator.

I also have a (crappy) 3D FDM printer, and a mostly new spool of ABS.

I would like to print out a Leitat 1, but cannot find the STL files anywhere. I understand that it was developed, tested, and approved in Spain. If you can get your grubby little doctor claws on the data for me, I would be appreciative.  It occurs to me that the time to invest in printing is BEFORE we end up with it in the facility, not after.

For those wondering:
https://www.3dprintingmedia.network/leitat-presents-first-medically-validated-industrialized-3d-printed-ventilator/

Its basically a simplified bag squeezer. 

While not approved for use in the US, I would rather face angry bureaucrats, and not have dead residents.
Could this be what you're looking for? I saw this recently.

https://www.oxygen.protofy.xyz/en-blog?fbclid=IwAR0fynHggV5gXFLGUQqNRDiuombN8mXhKQD5jJyyRSQXIIyww0OxGn_I2Fc&lang=es

It's of course an auto ambu-squeezer rather than a ventilator proper. I guess it beats not having anything at all...

As the website says, not validated anywherr, no warranty, use at your own risk, etc..
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: March 25, 2020, 01:38:29 pm »

The supermarket had extra security guards, there was no pasta besides lasagna sheets and, for some reason, spaghetti (I think they must stock the mostly-empty shelves with whatever they have a surplus of) and there were limits of how much you could buy of most things per transaction.   

Slightly off-topic, but it's probably because lasagne noodles are pretty tough to use for other things, and spaghetti noodles combine flavorlessness, chewiness, and being too small to hold a sauce properly.

https://mobile.twitter.com/trvrb/status/1242628551557316608

Regarding vaccines and immunity for covid19

I would assume that the more people who catch it (because we aren't being careful to prevent the spread, and we allow anti-vaxxers to interact with society), the faster it evolves.

The first cases have been reported in my local community. If this is some sort of elaborate weeks-long cult suicide, I wish they'd at least given me a pamphlet and T-shirt.

Why would a suicide cult bother with tees?

Why would a suicide cult bother with Nike Airs?

I mean, it's not like the US is alone in that regard.

Remember when I wondered what was going on in Brazil? It looks like Bolsonaro is calling for an end to mass isolation, school closings, and blamed the media for needlessly inciting reckless panic...

WAIT HE'S CALLING FOR AN END TO MASS ISOLATION AND SCHOOL CLOSINGS NOW?

Shit, is he trying to out-Trump Trump? Nobody tell Trump, we don't need a race to this bottom right now!

There was a apparently a mass text sent out in Brazil that said “We want the best for the population. If the government doesn’t have the capacity to handle this, organized crime will.” It's probably not who you want to be relying on, because they have profit in mind above your best interests. Have you seen the way the US government works? They hid how bad the virus was so they could make a profit on their stocks, and have said it's better for people to die than the economy to take a hit (which it will either way). I guess at least mobsters are smart enough to know they go out of business when they become unpopular with the populace. Politicians have learned they only need to be slightly less bad than the other side to stay in power.

It's not just Trump - nobody wants the draconian quarantines.  I mean I'm already down to 50% my normal pay, and if things don't change soon - like in 4 weeks - I'll likely lose my job entirely.

World leaders have a tough job - they have to weigh things like "do I really destroy my economy for all 300 million of my country to save the lives of 2 or 4 or 10 million? Or do I just eat those deaths - as horrible as it sounds - so that the remaining hundreds of millions have a more or less normal life?"  And that's even if you have a leader that doesn't present as a pompous child.

Part of the issue is, if we allow it to spread, it's going to mutate faster, which will make it harder to contain long-term. It's like pulling off a bandaid. Do we take a hit now, and have it controlled in a year, or kill more people and allow the virus to mutate more, and not get it controlled?

In the US at least, student debt is uniquely bad because it cannot be discharged in bankruptcy and financially hobbles people at one of the most important periods of their working life.

That said, I'm ready to abolish usury if you are.

Yeah, the Senators from Delaware (where many of the largest banks are located) have historically done an excellent job preventing human decency from triumphing over bank profiteering in the US.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: March 25, 2020, 01:42:29 pm »

Student loan debt is a ticking bomb lodged in the economy, while the government is crying uncle over a week of partial lockdown you have basically an entire generation that has no wealth and no realistic path to generating any.

Also remember that thing about prison slave labor making hand sanitizer in new york to supplement the shortage?  (oh wait there were a bunch of people in here saying it wasn't slave labor)

It turns out they were just buying sanitizer from an unknown company and having the prisoners stick it in new branded bottles.  So not actually supplementing the supply, just playing a shell game to feed cash to the department of corrections.
Shoes...

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: March 25, 2020, 01:48:25 pm »

I believe the debate about prison labor was actually centered around Belgian prisons using it, given that those prisons are much nicer than US prisons.

On topic: dayum, that New York news is hyper shady.

Edit: Looks like they're working as a co-packer to actually bottle unbottled product. Still shady, but may actually be increasing supply if the producer can't bottle as fast as their tanks.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:51:38 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: March 25, 2020, 01:54:36 pm »

and spaghetti noodles combine flavorlessness, chewiness, and being too small to hold a sauce properly.

You take that back.

It turns out they were just buying sanitizer from an unknown company and having the prisoners stick it in new branded bottles.  So not actually supplementing the supply, just playing a shell game to feed cash to the department of corrections.

Prisons, both public and private, in most of the US are extremely shady and terrible operations, so I'm not at all surprised by this. But seems more of an Ameripol issue?

In some of the closing remarks on this big relief bill members of Congress are already publicly talking about starting work on 'the next relief bill', so at least they're beginning to realize (and/or admit) just how long & bad this could easily be.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: March 25, 2020, 01:57:11 pm »

It should be illegal, especially in this time, to conceal the identity of a company producing a product.

Because it'd be the height of grotesqueness if that sanitizer was being shipped from China.

But my guess is they don't because the shareholders of said company would be.....revealing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: March 25, 2020, 03:21:48 pm »

I believe the debate about prison labor was actually centered around Belgian prisons using it, given that those prisons are much nicer than US prisons.

Yeah, it was Belgians. And yes, it is hard to call voluntary work slave labour too.
Love, scriver~

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: March 25, 2020, 03:51:22 pm »

Finland is closing the region of Uusimaa off from the rest of the country. That's almost a third of the population (and two thirds of the confirmed infected).
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: March 25, 2020, 03:54:28 pm »

I have no idea how accurate it is, but here is an explanation of coronavirus. Maybe someone with more biology experience can comment:

https://www.little-gamers.com/2020/03/25/in-case-you-didnt-know/

Yeah, it was Belgians. And yes, it is hard to call voluntary work slave labour too.

Right. If they're just doing it for the fun of it, then it's no problem. That's unlikely though, and I don't know what coercion was involved.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: March 25, 2020, 04:00:22 pm »

It was about Dutch prisoners making face masks, not Belgians.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: March 25, 2020, 04:05:39 pm »

My city's officially stay-at-home as of tomorrow.  We're still allowed to go grocery shopping though, so I'm not sure how much this is changing (I think restaurants have been take-out-only for a while at this point).

I couldn't resist doing a final run for some fresh greens.  My housemate's still going to work every day so I'm more worried about him really.  However instead of going to the constantly-swamped Food Lion (or gods forbid, Wal-Mart) I went to a local Mediterranean market for dry beans, and an asian market to stock up on fresh greens and specialty instant ramen.  I was kinda amazed these places stay in business during normal times, but I guess they get a lot of subcommunity business.  I've always felt welcome there and the prices are great, and I was the only customer at either.  While the Food Lion parking lot across the street looked like a nightmare.

I did set these supplies aside though, at least for a couple days.  Just to be safe.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 459