Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423839 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #1890 on: March 31, 2020, 05:24:53 am »

I think it's more about proximity than anything. China modernized quickly, but kept many of its traditions. This includes the consumption of a wide range of meat, and the use of animal parts and products in medicine. Switching from catching bats and occasionally cooking them up to providing cities with bat meat on demand (an exaggeration of the availability, but you get my point) is probably the real root to the viruses jumping species. Free range to distributed in concrete buildings with poor ventilation. There's also a good bit of smuggling that is done certain medicine types are illegal, but still in demand, which leads to live animals being smuggled to distribute or breed elsewhere - usually apartments or houses in cities.

This issue is complicated is basically my point. To stop the practice totally would be read as imperial western powers stomping on cultural traditions. To illegalize it locally might cause an uproar.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: March 31, 2020, 05:31:49 am »

Normally we'd use guns, but these seem to be of the Asuran variety. And we all know how those went down.
Sorry, but what does Asuran mean in this context?
Nanite replicators from Stargate: Atlantis.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: March 31, 2020, 06:33:01 am »

I think the focus on transfer from wildlife and pointing fingers at China is somewhat hypocrite.
Yes, this virus most likely transferred to humans through someone eating raw bat or pangolin.

But aren't we just as much at risk from, say, a flu virus mutating to be just as deadly from our own western swine and bird industries? Their sheer numbers provide excellent mutation opportunities.
We already have regular outbreaks of swine-  and birdflu amongst animal populations in our countries.

Animal welfare is not going to increase after this pandemic (unless everone suddenly becomes a vegetarian).
There's already some talk here of abolishing free range and biological ranching and go full indoors controlled bio-industry, to minimize contact between our animal meatbags and local wildlife (including humans).
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: March 31, 2020, 06:44:24 am »

But aren't we just as much at risk from, say, a flu virus mutating to be just as deadly from our own western swine and bird industries? Their sheer numbers provide excellent mutation opportunities.
We already have regular outbreaks of swine-  and birdflu amongst animal populations in our countries.

AFAIK animal-to-human disease contact is drastically reduced via mechanization of farming, better quality control and reduced number of species used for meat.

Industrial farms are bad for multiple reasons (especially if you care at all about cruel treatment of animals), but from what I know risk of producing new pandemic via producing new virus is not very high?

Though mad cow disease was direct result of insane insutrial farm practices (feeding plant-eating cows with ground bones).

And SARS-Cov-2 being nearly exact repeat of SARS-Cov-1 seems to suggest/indicate that something China-specific is going wrong.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 06:46:20 am by mko »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: March 31, 2020, 06:56:36 am »

Historically, zoonotic outbreaks in Europe were caused by there being tons of people and tons of animals in a small space, lack of sanitation, and mismanagement of sick animals and products thereof.

Free-range animals aren't the problem. Hunting isn't the problem. The plague didn't start on the farm nor the hunter's lodge. Nor would it spread like crazy on the farm or on the hunting grounds.

Don't have large open animal markets. Prepare and sell food with sanitation in mind. Identify and restrict sick animals and tainted animal products. Reduce the incidence of sick animals by improving sanitation of their living habitats.

Optionally, stop giving them antibiotics all the time. The last thing we need is an antibiotic-resistant pandemic.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: March 31, 2020, 06:56:44 am »

BUSHMEAT.

that is what is going wrong.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: March 31, 2020, 07:08:36 am »

Re: Chinese unreported deaths.

It will be interesting when all this is over to compare mortality rates in 2020 with 2019.

Because all things point to ALL COUNTRIES doing extremedly sloppy record keeping

I doubt China is an exception and I wouldnt be surprised they have a higher number of covid deaths that werent listed because they were never confirmed, or were listed as something else. I'd not be shocked to find the real number is 2-3x or more. Similar things have been seen elsewhere. Granted it's impossible to tell how many of these excess deaths are from covid and how many are from actually other things which dont get treated because of hospital saturation and because people avoid going to A&E due to covid fears (which is happening)

Really it's odd how the same problems and mistakes are happening over and over all the world over

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:16:02 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: March 31, 2020, 07:18:42 am »

And SARS-Cov-2 being nearly exact repeat of SARS-Cov-1 seems to suggest/indicate that something China-specific is going wrong.

Don't forget that china has an absolutely huge population. If a virus is going to jump to a random patient zero, there is a much higher chance that that person happens to live in china, vs the USA.
Virus outbreaks happen in other countries as well. Remember the  mexican flu? It did not turn out to be dangerous, but it could have been.

Sure, close contact with animals increases the risk, but that situation is not unique to china either. It happens in many, many countries. It is just that with a large population like in china, the odds are that bad things happen there and not elsewhere. From what I understand though, china will be likely to crack down on the animal markets. Not sure how that will work out though, it will be difficult to change a cultural thing like that. As I said before, for a comparison: it is well-established that america's rampant gun ownership is problematic, but it is never going to change, no matter how many people die. However if any regime can force a change, it will be China.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: March 31, 2020, 07:29:01 am »

Also, 2 isn't such a large sample size, so detecting a trend there would be premature.

MERS happened too.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:30:57 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: Coronavirus World Tour 2020
« Reply #1899 on: March 31, 2020, 07:31:00 am »

How many people do to this in USA? How many do it in China?
Tens of thousands Wait, sorry, our licensed hunter population alone is over 10 million, so millions do it in the US yearly. It's bunches either way. Sporadic hunting is particularly common in rural areas -- just for my personal locality, I'd guess pretty easy better than half of it has eaten wild venison in the last year, ferex, nevermind other stuff -- and it's not super unknown to do stuff like feed fresh roadkill (deer or hog, usually) to prisoners and whatnot. Maybe wet markets increase likelihood, but they're damn sure not the only source of that kind of human/animal interaction, not by a long shot.

Incidentally, y'know, the so called spanish flu originated stateside :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: March 31, 2020, 07:40:09 am »

It's the unclean and close-quarters keeping of many animal species that's the issue, not their 'wild' status so much.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: March 31, 2020, 07:46:31 am »

It's the unclean and close-quarters keeping of many animal species that's the issue, not their 'wild' status so much.
Yeah, cages stacked on cages with feces and food and other secretions mixing in a big dumb petri dish is the problem.

The known cases in the US is closing in on 170k as I type this.

We're still only testing obvious symptomatic patients for the most part, it's hard to find negative test results though they are of critical importance when it comes to estimating what sort of measures need to be taken, so it's a good thing the agencies responsible for tracking this information and providing it are... *touches ear* uh huh... uh huh... FUCKING WHAT... shit... ok, well, yeah, remember when that one website stopped providing negative testing numbers because it might make the administration look bad? Apparently that was THE website which is supposed to do this.

Ideally we'd know about ~170k cases and have done nearly 2 million tests, but it's completely possible we've inverted those numbers and only gotten 15~20k negative test results.

It did surpass 9/11 in death toll at some point yesterday... though I must point out that is just confirmed deaths due to COVID-19 so far.

Whenever we end up with a better idea of the excess mortality rate[n] we can realistically attribute to this, you could write a book on how to not handle a pandemic and call it "n Hidden 9/11's: How NOT to Handle a Pandemic" if it isn't something horrifying like 100 or more implying ~290k extra deaths which is unfortunately not a possibility we can readily dismiss.

It's actually even more surreal watching this trainwreck happen with the direct memory of how utterly bizarre that morning 19 years ago was, I didn't approve of anything dubya was doing really, but I never felt such a gaping void of anything resembling leadership as we do right now.

I mean, I knew we had fallen pretty goddamn far with all the republican bullshit prior to Trump, but I guess the constant low level crisis of his presidency in general made it easy to overlook just how calm everything really was and how lucky he has been the whole time that no real crisis popped up because he is so much less than we needed it's hard to be properly scared.

You can't overreact to a pandemic, btw, because overreaction looks like the handful of countries that jumped on this shit and locked it down, and the only way that is incorrect is if for some strange reason the virus had burned itself out weeks ago... but it's never the wrong choice.

We, here in the USA, are a case study on why you only ever regret underreacting to shit like this, don't be like us, for fuck's sake.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: March 31, 2020, 08:09:13 am »

My state has a test positive to test conducted rate of about a quarter: 22k tests and 5500 positives.  We've only tested at least 0.2% of our state population though.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: Coronavirus World Tour 2020
« Reply #1903 on: March 31, 2020, 08:11:01 am »

How many people do to this in USA? How many do it in China?
Tens of thousands Wait, sorry, our licensed hunter population alone is over 10 million, so millions do it in the US yearly. It's bunches either way. Sporadic hunting is particularly common in rural areas -- just for my personal locality, I'd guess pretty easy better than half of it has eaten wild venison in the last year, ferex, nevermind other stuff -- and it's not super unknown to do stuff like feed fresh roadkill (deer or hog, usually) to prisoners and whatnot. Maybe wet markets increase likelihood, but they're damn sure not the only source of that kind of human/animal interaction, not by a long shot.

Incidentally, y'know, the so called spanish flu originated stateside :P

ALso, alligators, snakes, squirrels, and some birds don't require hunting licenses. People eat weird shit here, too.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: March 31, 2020, 08:18:18 am »

See the issue most commonly associated with pandemics via US farms is overuse of antibiotics which create antibiotic immune bacteria. Which is horrible, mind, and obviously bacteria!= viruses, but its decidedly a different issue than lack of sanitation.

Also, uh, to be blunt, there's a bit of a difference between American rednecks in their rural homes eating weird shit and getting sick vs Chinese equivalent of rednecks eating weird shit in an urban environment. One is gonna get himself sick, the other will infect a couple dozen others.

America is simply vastly less dense than China, or even Europe or India. Who knows how many diseases end up isolated in remote communities and never get a chance to spread?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 459