Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423912 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2025 on: April 03, 2020, 04:24:41 am »

It depends on many factors. In the US, I wonder if the lack of health insurance could drive people to refrain from requesting treatment until it is too late?
It's not just that -- in a lot of places we're still basically not fucking testing, so you functionally can't "request treatment" until it's too late. Given how rapidly the crow plague can turn severe or fatal, if you're infected but the docs aren't aware (because we're not fucking testing) and/or you're not near a hospital (with the means to help you), you can end up just bloody dying because no one is taking proper precautions or fucking knows they need to, to keep your ass from dying.

The costs involved are definitely driving people stateside to not seek even basic aid, though, yes. On top of everything else. Part of the "fun" shit is that covid shares symptoms with a lot of shit, so one thing I've seen folks concerned about is even if aid is available for covid testing or care (and if anywhere is actually fucking doing that for the uninsured in the US, I haven't noticed), if they're ill and uncovered and go in to get checked on and it turns out it isn't the crow plague, now they're up shit creek of medical bills and the paddles are only being provided to other boats. So they don't go in, because a negative hurts them as much as or more than a positive.

Go figure, a fucked up healthcare system is making a fucked up situation more fucked. Who could have goddamn thought.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: April 03, 2020, 04:30:24 am »

Do "confirmed cases" include cases confirmed post mortem?

In the (dutch) article I linked it is stated that people are not being tested post mortem, and that that is a likely cause for significant underreporting.
I guess if we had enough tests we would test the dead, but we don't even have enough tests to test anyone except those that are so ill they need hospitalization.
Nearest producer of tests (our neighbor Germany) for now is keeping their tests for domestic use.

EDIT: Meanwhile, the commander of the Theodore Roosevelt has been relieved of his command.  According to minister of the Navy Thomas Modley, the captain has shown poor judgement, by mailing his distress call to 20 to 30 of his colleagues, after which it leaked to the media.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 04:38:27 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: April 03, 2020, 04:37:28 am »

While testing is already contentiously rationed (e.g. UK healthcare staff in precautionary isolation apparently remaining untested and unable to work while priority is given to checking the patients their colleagues need to confirm/deny, and other jurisdictions would have other pressures) it may well be that in the list of testing priorities the entire R-set in the SIR model (that works with the dynamic shifts of the population between the groups Susceptible, Infectious and Recovered/'Removed') is generally lower in the list unless you're actively trying to establish a link to S-people transitioning to being in the I-group.

Obviously someone with seemingly enough malevolent determination to spend their last hours 'spreading the love' as far and wide as they can is a priority post-mortem testee compared to other more 'considerate' end-of-life transitions into the Rs. Perhaps they can bottle up samples from all morbidities (home as well as hospital) to systematically revisit later when 'live testing' isn't so urgent, but the various logistics on that aren't easy to imagine.

Or so I surnise, from my own armchair. I'd defer to someone who has practical involvement in these decision processes and/or practicalities behind them. And different nations/areas may have their own subtle twists on this whole mix.

(Slightly ninjaed by the last two posts.)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 04:42:35 am by Starver »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: April 03, 2020, 04:53:34 am »

Coming summer, a shortage of various basic medicine is expected in the EU and the US, because we have moved just about all of our production to cheap labour countries China and India.
The lockdown in these countries has made production drop a lot in facilities that make basic medicine like penicilline, antibiotics, paracetamol and ibuprofen.
For now there is still some reserve in Chinese warehouses but it is expected that somewhere in or after summer, shortages will start showing and abovementioned medication can not be delivered to our countries.
India has already put in place an import ban for various medicine and their raw rescources.
The EU is looking into building an emergency facility to at least make penicilline.

I hope a solution can be found, because if there's no more antibiotics, a whole lot of people are going to die of other things than corona.
https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/medicijnen-dreigen-over-paar-maanden-op-te-raken-door-afhankelijkheid-china-en-india~b06a5cea/
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 05:00:46 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: April 03, 2020, 05:05:22 am »

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: April 03, 2020, 05:22:39 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:21:59 am by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: April 03, 2020, 05:50:24 am »

Potentially dodgy source, but nice news if true...

Premature... but nice news anyway.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/02/scientists-believe-they-found-potential-coronavirus-vaccine/

Apparently also on CBS news.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNX7WAtsbog
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 05:53:57 am by wierd »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: April 03, 2020, 06:21:28 am »

Potentially dodgy source, but nice news if true...

Premature... but nice news anyway.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/02/scientists-believe-they-found-potential-coronavirus-vaccine/

Apparently also on CBS news.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNX7WAtsbog

*shrug*

There are like... 40? 50? vaccine candidates. About half of them being developed in China.

Having a candidate is not specially newsworthy. The problem is  making sure it works on humans fast enough. That will take months even on a best case scenario and rushing it far faster than you normally would....

That being said: there are currently ongoing trials for BCG vaccine and coronavirus in the US, Australia, and the Netherlands. The scientific rationale is that live vaccines have been shown to temporarily enhance immunity against unrelated infections, that BCG apparently was tentatively studied in the past as being specially good at inducing this (not clear on how solid that evidence is), and countries doing TB vaccines with BCG having slower covid spread than you'd expect. To me it seems a bit of a hail mary approach but it might reduce the risk, at least for a while, for the most exposed personnel... if it works at all.  We'll see
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: April 03, 2020, 07:13:23 am »

Regarding vaccines, you need to be aware that manufacturing a vaccine can theoretically be done overnight. However, the testing to determine if it's safe and effective is long and fraught with trial and error.

One of the worst outcomes can be antibody-dependent enhancement, where the immune system can actually increase viral penetration of the body's cells. Different virus serotypes can turn a relatively mild infection into a life-threatening illness in those whose immune system only recognize one type. This actually caused a recall of dengue fever vaccines recently in the Philippines due to risk of serotype mismatch caused by vaccination causing greater harm than the infection itself.

Since this virus is known to be zoonotic, we can probably predict a high chance of serotype divergence in the future. If we end up with a dengue-like antibody-dependent enhancement of from a poorly developed and tested vaccine, and given that it's likely any vaccine will be almost universally distributed, we might end up causing a significant number of silent symptom cases to instead cascade into critical organ failure due to a COVID-19 divergent serotype penetrating into cells with little to no ACE-2 receptor expression, all courtesy of their own immune system.

So yeah, I'm not gonna be first in line to try a brand new vaccine with limited trial data. Gimme some solid vaccine epidemiological studies first before you jab me with whatever you cook up, thanks.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: April 03, 2020, 07:17:09 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:22:04 am by dragdeler »
let

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: April 03, 2020, 07:27:21 am »

Hopefully the virus will largely have run its course by then. Unless it becomes seasonal, yeesh. But I'm no virologist.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: April 03, 2020, 07:42:17 am »

Seems like most people who end up on the ventilator end up dead...
The NY gov said it’s roughly a 20% chance you live.
EU folk I think have said it’s a coin flip 50/50

Not too surprising, I suppose. Presumably these numbers are sensitive to the timeliness of intervention, with less overwhelmed health systems being more responsive and having higher recovery rates?

It depends on many factors. In the US, I wonder if the lack of health insurance could drive people to refrain from requesting treatment until it is too late?

Yes it can. One of my coworkers is having to do that.

It's not just that -- in a lot of places we're still basically not fucking testing, so you functionally can't "request treatment" until it's too late. Given how rapidly the crow plague can turn severe or fatal, if you're infected but the docs aren't aware (because we're not fucking testing) and/or you're not near a hospital (with the means to help you), you can end up just bloody dying because no one is taking proper precautions or fucking knows they need to, to keep your ass from dying.

The costs involved are definitely driving people stateside to not seek even basic aid, though, yes. On top of everything else. Part of the "fun" shit is that covid shares symptoms with a lot of shit, so one thing I've seen folks concerned about is even if aid is available for covid testing or care (and if anywhere is actually fucking doing that for the uninsured in the US, I haven't noticed), if they're ill and uncovered and go in to get checked on and it turns out it isn't the crow plague, now they're up shit creek of medical bills and the paddles are only being provided to other boats. So they don't go in, because a negative hurts them as much as or more than a positive.

Go figure, a fucked up healthcare system is making a fucked up situation more fucked. Who could have goddamn thought.

And yet, in the US, both main-party candidates for president have said that better healthcare wouldn't help anything, and have pledged to prevent it.

Edit: And one of those assholes is still telling people to get out and vote in person. Fucking piece of disingenuous shit. Stay the fuck home, people. No matter what the old men tell you. You can vote online, or through the mail.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 08:17:01 am by Iduno »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: April 03, 2020, 09:44:29 am »

Meanwhile in Brazil: we hit 330 confirmed deaths. You can just check my posts on the thread to see how fast it's climbing.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: April 03, 2020, 11:36:21 am »

562 deaths in NY (in the past 24 hours)
The working class sections of the borough of Queens remains the hardest hit.
The hardest hit area of Queens?
The neighborhood of Corona, naturally
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 11:40:15 am by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: April 03, 2020, 11:42:43 am »

The hardest hit area of Queens?
The neighborhood of Corona, naturally
Shiite. I'm now morbidly disappointed the outbreak didn't start there. It'd be called Corona coronavirus.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 459