Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423777 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #3165 on: May 19, 2020, 08:17:41 am »

Quite early on, I recall seeing a table with symptoms vs C19, regular flu and cold (yes/no/maybe in each vs each) and the argument re: anosmia/ageusia in the up-to-recent gudance is that it wasn't as much a key factor unique and/or consistent with COVID, so it was excluded in leiu of those factors that were more useful for official purposes (minmaxing to reduce false-positives/negatives, or something).

Which makes the change to include it (with no obvious pathological changes to the situation) smell fishy to me, assuming I can still smell[1]. I'm fairly sure that I could take my accumulated 'feelings' and decide that I need a test, but I'd be fooling myself[2] and (much as I'd like to know if I have it[3]) I would be reducing the chance of another worrier, probably more genuine, to have their own concerns definitively addressed. It's not worth crying wolf on a macro level, though obviously a more self-interested look at the given Nash Equilibreum might point otherwise.

It's why I'm most interested in the "have you had it" test, which (when positive) gives 'post facto' good news that should continue to remain good, compared to the "do you have it" on in which the only 'good' result is a negative, but with no reason to believe it'll last. On the basis that history is immutable but the future is relatively unknowable, I'd happily plump for the chance to narrow down my status with the former, if freely offered, with fewer qualms about it than risk getting addicted to regular 'top up' tests to reconfirm I'm pre-Corona (or post-Corona, but having missed the actual effects of the episode).

Talking of taste, BTW, I saw earlier that "In France, 150,000 tonnes of high quality cheese went off last week, because farmers can’t sell it." - I don't know whether to believe that. If it aint threatening to walk off the plate, those kinds of cheese not quite ready to eat! (And though I'm not someone who has actually tried anything like Casu Marzu, the existence of such a product indicates that there is a market for virtually everything...)

[1] Which I can, at least up to my normally low levels. I'd never get a job as a perfume designer (or semellier), though maybe I could better stand to work on the production line a perfume factory.

[2] I'm not a hypochondriac. If anything, I might be the opposite. Hyperchondriac? There seems to be no handy antonym for "that bad feeling within that funny bit of the body".

[3] Before you worry, what I feel now (elements of mild hay-fever probably) similarly applied to me more than a month ago, so at least one of those datum points (and for almost all the time between then and now) cannot be It, and thus I have no reason to assume the other is either.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: May 19, 2020, 08:48:15 am »

[2] I'm not a hypochondriac. If anything, I might be the opposite. Hyperchondriac? There seems to be no handy antonym for "that bad feeling within that funny bit of the body".

It's called a boner
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: May 19, 2020, 08:51:39 am »

It's called a boner
No it's called genital herpes
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: May 19, 2020, 09:21:40 am »

It's called a boner
No it's called genital herpes
I thought the "bad feeling within that funny bit of the body" meant he was talking about having crabs.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: May 19, 2020, 09:30:31 am »

Crabs are not a recognised synptom of Coronavirus. Though give it a couple of days, and Number 10 will surely embrace that too.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: May 19, 2020, 09:39:44 am »

...Crab people?
Love, scriver~

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: May 19, 2020, 09:55:17 am »

I heard those things taste like crab and talk like people.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: May 19, 2020, 02:44:31 pm »

I heard those things taste like crab and talk like people.

You’re just giving it that *mimics crab pincers*
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: May 19, 2020, 05:03:22 pm »

A few weeks ago covid-19 was found at four mink farms in the Netherlands. There is now evidence indicating that the virus was transmitted from mink to humans at one of these farms.
This is the first case of animal to human transmission over here. I'm actually not sure if any such cases have been described elsewhere. As I said earlier, I won't shed a tear if this is the end of mink-farming in the Netherlands.

With animal diseases they are usually very quick to clear out entire farms if anything is found, I'm actually surprised that so far the goverment maintains that no action is needed on these mink farms. At least they have said they are going to monitor other farms now.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 05:07:17 pm by Bralbaard »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: May 19, 2020, 05:25:50 pm »

My greatest concern is if some studies shows that in rare occasions the disease can transmit from cats (or dogs, or other beloved pets) to humans, every paranoid neighbor in your street might start killing your cats.  Or worse, the government orders all cats killed. (it has already been shown that cats can get Covid, they don't seem to get sick from it or transmit it to humans though)

Let's hope not. If only because the death toll from cat owners going HULK SMASH on cat killers will be much higher than the death toll from the rare occasion that it spreads from cat to human.

But yeah, an end to mink farming would be great.  Terrible animal cruelty to get a few rich whores a fur coat.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: May 20, 2020, 01:10:24 am »

People in general are not that awful. There might be a few cat-killings that would be blown out of proportion by the media, but nothing systematic.

Also a farm with 10000 covid coughing mink is something else than a cat.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: May 20, 2020, 04:05:22 am »

My greatest concern is if some studies shows that in rare occasions the disease can transmit from cats (or dogs, or other beloved pets) to humans, every paranoid neighbor in your street might start killing your cats.  Or worse, the government orders all cats killed. (it has already been shown that cats can get Covid, they don't seem to get sick from it or transmit it to humans though)

wasn't there already transmission from humans to tigers (in zoo) of covid-19?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: May 20, 2020, 04:06:44 am »

From humans to animals has been confirmed in quite a few cases yes, but the other way around, from animals to humans is another thing.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: May 20, 2020, 04:18:29 am »

People in general are not that awful. There might be a few cat-killings that would be blown out of proportion by the media, but nothing systematic.

To be perfectly honest, some feral cat culling is overdue. They wreak havoc on other wildlife.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: May 20, 2020, 08:14:44 am »

From humans to animals has been confirmed in quite a few cases yes, but the other way around, from animals to humans is another thing.
Well it CAME from animals to humans in the first place. I'd be surprised if it didnt go both ways.

At any event if you want to keep your cat safe make sure he or she stays indoors. This is true pretty much always (outdoor cats tend to meet violent demises), it might actually be LESS true these days due to reduced traffic. But it'd suck if your cat befriended someone else (which AFAIK cats are prone to do) and got covid and died. Would suck double if on top of that they gave covid to you.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 459