Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423674 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Ride the Wave, Dude! Edition
« Reply #3375 on: June 25, 2020, 05:45:58 pm »

Eh, sinus infection/headache is a solid nine (they've knocked me unconscious before), but I still haven't encountered something that meets the hard 10 of a kidney stone. Those are wild, hallucinations and vomiting, debilitating please-just-fucking-kill-me, hurts too bad to pass out, pain tier. Would not recommend.

3-4 with spikes of 5 is indeed pretty solid estimate for flu, tho'. Shit sucks.
I was definitely hallucinating from the sinus shit btw, you know the effect when you push on an LCD screen and all the colors kinda rainbow gradient around where your fingers are? Kept getting that shit flickering in from the edges of my vision before it would kinda pulse like black and white spiky stripe shit.

You know those little pencil topper things? I hacked something that looked like one of those up except like neon green and kinda bloody after I felt everything start to drain and the fucking relief from the goddamn spike of hatred between my eyes was nearly orgasmic. Like I stuck a c-clamp so it was pushing on the back of my head and right between my eyes and just kept turning the handle before randomly smacking the clamp with a hammer for fun.

Not sure if it was a couple of days or a month but up until my abscessed tooth it was far and away the worst shit I've ever felt, though I do know the abscess took over a week before I could even get anything for it, and still took a couple days before the meds finally got that shit back under control, though I assumed I had been dealing with it for like a month or two because outside of the empty spots where I lost time I was aware of every goddamn second. Felt like there was a golf ball stuck to the roof of my mouth and I just kinda wound up laying there in bed with the lights off writhing and groaning between apparently roaring and screaming occasionally. I remember a few times where I noticed I was doing it and stopped, but never actually starting to make any noise but groaning. I couldn't turn the lights on because they were screaming back at me, so while I was aware of a kind of pulsation in my vision I think I only opened my eyes for a few minutes on any particular day while it was going on.

Still had it in me to crack a joke though, missus checked on me after doing some laundry or something and I'm like "well, could really use a bj" but then I laughed and that hurt.

No kidney stones yet though I can't imagine they're any fun.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: June 25, 2020, 06:59:03 pm »

Texas put re-opening business and easing lockdown on hold, because the ICUs are overcrowded.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: June 25, 2020, 07:00:10 pm »

Yah. The problem is that we already know through sad experience that it takes long for shit to wind down. Doing it when ICU's are already overcrowded is way too late
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: June 25, 2020, 07:05:08 pm »

Yeah, going from nearly overcrowded ICU back to normal took us about three months over here in the Netherlands, and our hospitals are better equipped than those in the US (at least those hospitals that are not built for the very wealthy patients).
So yeah, expect 3 months or more of lockdown being nescessary in Texas.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: June 25, 2020, 07:07:59 pm »

I guess that gets to be Florida like next week or somethin'. In a way, it'd almost be a relief, y'know? At least it'd stop being so much of a question of exactly how fucked we are.

I was definitely hallucinating from the sinus shit btw, you know the effect when you push on an LCD screen and all the colors kinda rainbow gradient around where your fingers are? Kept getting that shit flickering in from the edges of my vision before it would kinda pulse like black and white spiky stripe shit.
I've had visual snow as long as I've had consciousness I can remember. I don't know what having the default state of my entire field of vision onset is like :P

No kidney stones yet though I can't imagine they're any fun.
Yeah, I've had all of one and hope to never have one again. They're consistently rated up there with sinus headaches and whatnot on pain scales, though. Having experienced both, I'd give the edge to the stone.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: June 25, 2020, 07:15:38 pm »

Also, the virus continues to positively explode in some US states, with California posting a record of 7000 cases just a day after posting a record 5,000 cases. The US overall is up 47% from two-weeks ago in cases-per-day.

Those charts don't account for increases in testing.

In California, for example, percent positive tests has only gone up a little bit: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/california
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: June 25, 2020, 07:20:09 pm »

Well, yeah, but Texas, Georgia, Florida, and friends are still doing trash.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: June 25, 2020, 07:23:44 pm »

Not so much Georgia: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/georgia
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: June 25, 2020, 10:37:59 pm »

Not so much Georgia: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/georgia
As a Georgia resident, I've been checking the state dashboard, but this one doesn't paint too great a picture either. Percentage positive is about the same, but tests are lower than our wave one spike.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: June 26, 2020, 12:42:12 am »

I mean, I'unno on the plague response vis a vis the US population. On the one hand, this mammon humping lemming horseshit a lot of people are doing isn't, like. Great. On the other there's still folks floating around only like a generation off from the last major U.S. (Non-seasonal flu) plague, so, like. Grandparents and stuff had parents that dealt with the same sort of shit, and some of it passed down, so you see compliance and whatnot from odd sectors. Definitely a lot more people are going to die (and suffer badly, and go bankrupt) than is necessary, but it might not be as bad as some of the nutjob mess would have you think. There's a lot of insanity getting signal boosted while many people are more quietly just not doing stupid shit.
I've had visual snow as long as I've had consciousness I can remember. I don't know what having the default state of my entire field of vision onset is like :P
Man, weird, innit? TV static all the time, usually goes with a bit of tinnitus, both correlate with migraines. Wikipedia says that floaters and negative afterimages in vision go with the visual snow, too. Not sure if my eyes are a mess or my brain is, heh.
I mean, conceptually it's weird, but practically it took nearly two decades before I even realized it wasn't what absolutely everyone else was seeing, and years after that it's still my normal, not some oddity. Mostly it's just kinda' pretty and occasionally distracting, on top of little things like being a constant reminder of the lie that is stillness and the reality that all is motion, or the subjectivity of perception. Nothing ever sitting entirely still due to a persistent colorful hallucination can do that :P

Though yeah, I get the floaters and the afterimages and the blue sky sprites, too. The latter in particular can actually give me headaches, blue cloudless skies are a fucking skittery mess of junk, notable sensory overload.

The snow's about as confirmed as the limited research into it gets to be neurological, though. Brain's screwed up somehow on that front. Your eyes may or may not be screwed up, too, but there's nothing really involved in the eye itself that can account for it. There's even less research into, like, congenital snow than there is onset, though, the latter of which is pretty strongly correlated with a fair amount of nasty stuff (also people tend to freak out a little when they're suddenly hallucinating more or less constantly :V). Onset tends to be caused by/accompany pretty serious traumas, from what I understand.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: June 26, 2020, 02:32:42 am »

I mean, I'unno on the plague response vis a vis the US population. On the one hand, this mammon humping lemming horseshit a lot of people are doing isn't, like. Great. On the other there's still folks floating around only like a generation off from the last major U.S. (Non-seasonal flu) plague, so, like. Grandparents and stuff had parents that dealt with the same sort of shit, and some of it passed down, so you see compliance and whatnot from odd sectors. Definitely a lot more people are going to die (and suffer badly, and go bankrupt) than is necessary, but it might not be as bad as some of the nutjob mess would have you think. There's a lot of insanity getting signal boosted while many people are more quietly just not doing stupid shit.
Man, weird, innit? TV static all the time, usually goes with a bit of tinnitus, both correlate with migraines. Wikipedia says that floaters and negative afterimages in vision go with the visual snow, too. Not sure if my eyes are a mess or my brain is, heh.
I mean, conceptually it's weird, but practically it took nearly two decades before I even realized it wasn't what absolutely everyone else was seeing, and years after that it's still my normal, not some oddity. Mostly it's just kinda' pretty and occasionally distracting, on top of little things like being a constant reminder of the lie that is stillness and the reality that all is motion, or the subjectivity of perception. Nothing ever sitting entirely still due to a persistent colorful hallucination can do that :P

Though yeah, I get the floaters and the afterimages and the blue sky sprites, too. The latter in particular can actually give me headaches, blue cloudless skies are a fucking skittery mess of junk, notable sensory overload.

The snow's about as confirmed as the limited research into it gets to be neurological, though. Brain's screwed up somehow on that front. Your eyes may or may not be screwed up, too, but there's nothing really involved in the eye itself that can account for it. There's even less research into, like, congenital snow than there is onset, though, the latter of which is pretty strongly correlated with a fair amount of nasty stuff (also people tend to freak out a little when they're suddenly hallucinating more or less constantly :V). Onset tends to be caused by/accompany pretty serious traumas, from what I understand.
Same here with visual snow. I assumed it was normal until I read a random wikipedia article on the subject
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: June 26, 2020, 02:35:45 am »

Odd, I knew it was not normal.

Halos/Auras (sharp areas of alternating contrast, or geometric patterns that seem to writhe and wiggle that are purely hallucinations near the edges of perceived objects) especially are typically associated with neurological conditions of the visual cortex, and can be symptoms of a preceding seizure.

I am just some damn butt wiping grunt;  How did you not know Poo?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: June 26, 2020, 03:04:11 am »

*shrug* visual snow is not something that shows up in textbooks. And in my case its not that severe a distortion, more as if I had a layer of TV static blended into my usual sight.

My baseline assumption was that everyone saw like that, that just like a screen can look "dotted" by pixels if you look closely, maybe the same happened with the eye and photoreceptors.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: June 26, 2020, 03:19:09 am »

Same here with visual snow. I assumed it was normal until I read a random wikipedia article on the subject

It's not normal?
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: June 26, 2020, 03:28:16 am »

Well, to SOME extent that is true;

Your retina actually DOES do a significant amount of per-processing before shipping a signal to your visual cortex (via the thalamus).  Specifically, it does temporal smoothing, and relies on the subtle movements of your head, as it responds to your blood pressure changing from your heartbeat, and without this continual movement of the eye, it actually becomes blind. The retina is constantly measuring DIFFERENCES, and generating a signal based on those, which it sends to the brain.

You can test this yourself with some simple illustrations and a headrest. :P (in addition to a wide assortment of interesting optical pre-processing artifacts you can test yourself for. The retina does a LOT of heavy lifting. It is not just some dumb nerve signal aggregator.)

It is possible that your issue is one with your retina, and not in your brain.  But, I would have a proper neurologist explore that, if it is a cause of concern for you.

Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 459