Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423783 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Mutating into COVID-20 Edition
« Reply #4725 on: December 25, 2020, 12:38:43 pm »

My dad was insisting that people can fly out of London, and that we have unconfirmed cases of the new strain in the US, but I don't think either is true.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: December 25, 2020, 12:46:09 pm »

The new strain has been outside the UK for a while now. It was detected in the Netherlands and in Italy.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: December 25, 2020, 03:25:08 pm »

News last night was reporting on it showing up in... japan or something, I think? One of the west pacific adjacent areas, in any case. Now that I look, it's upthread a bit, too.

If it's not loose in the US already, I'd be surprised. I wouldn't be surprised to find out we're fucking up so hard we just haven't noticed, though :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: December 25, 2020, 03:44:27 pm »

We won't find it if we just identify and record any mutated strain the same as vanilla Covid-19 in the testing database.

*big brain*  We do not have any mutated strains of Covid.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: December 25, 2020, 05:20:54 pm »

My dad was insisting that people can fly out of London, and that we have unconfirmed cases of the new strain in the US, but I don't think either is true.

The first is true, France and a few more countries revoked the travel bans from the UK within a day or 2.

The second is not unlikely, since the new variant is already going around since september.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: December 27, 2020, 12:05:28 pm »

Our provinces of Groningen and Friesland have asked our government to deploy the army to their provinces, to come work in elderly care and nursing homes.
Too many healthcare staff are on sickleave, and the provinces can no longer guarantee the minimum amount of care nescessary to keep their inhabitants alive.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:What Wave is it Now? Edition
« Reply #4731 on: December 28, 2020, 06:15:46 pm »

I would *LOVE* to take a vacation right now, truly.

However, it is just not sane to do so right now.  Instead, I shall save pennies and take a proper one, once covid is properly in remission/contained/concluded.

I think myself and every other frontline healthcare worker on the damn planet.
You are invited to Venezuela by all means, as humble as migth be, my casa es su casa. However I would not recomend it because of covid and the rampart insecurity.

I think your gummit has even released a notification warning it's citizens against comming here.

It's a shame, it is a beaitiful place.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 06:20:27 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: December 29, 2020, 05:26:01 pm »

Colorado confirms that the new extra-extra contagious version of COVID is stateside.
It was inevitable
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: December 29, 2020, 05:31:01 pm »

The UK variation or the ZA one?

...inB4 @realDonaldTrump talks of the "Britonvirus".

(Though, a: We're probably not worth insulting at this stage in his/our game, b: It probably came here from elsewhere, we just managed to identify it 'first'.)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: December 29, 2020, 05:35:41 pm »

So new covid is more contagious how? It can bypass clinical masks? Lives more time in the enviroment? Lures people with candy?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: December 29, 2020, 06:00:46 pm »

The UK variation or the ZA one?
Why not both? If there's two, they're probably somewhere in the country, really.

Dunno the specifics on how it's spreading faster, though. Just recall that whatever it is, it's upped spread rate by like 70% or something, which is pretty rough considering the plague wasn't exactly spreading slowly to begin with.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: December 29, 2020, 06:24:07 pm »

What little I know is that it can 'catch' a victim that much easier. Probably boils down to meaning less viral load needs to be introduced for a given 'LD50' (or "Contageous Dose 50", to start with).

Would effectively mean that you don't need as much time in close proximity to someone breathing on you, though (roughly) inverse-square rules wouldn't mean "stay safe at 2m distance has to become as much as "stay safe at 3.4m" for the same peace of mind. Mitigation by mask-wearing (however ill-fitting, but ideally not) will still help over having none.

As to how... Slightly more efficient insertion into host cells?  Better hijacking of the cellular factory?  I think that needs study, and what we first know is just the resulting stats.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: December 29, 2020, 06:33:43 pm »

blergh. I am going to try to get curious about this, as opposed to my real feeling, which is vague upset regarding hopes for 2021.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: December 29, 2020, 07:56:26 pm »

Love your new avatar btw. Forgot to tell you in the other thread.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: December 29, 2020, 08:02:40 pm »

Love your new avatar btw. Forgot to tell you in the other thread.

Thanks, I like to think that I occasionally hit a good one! You Almost Wouldn't Know It's Food.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 459