Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423679 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:One year of this terror Edition
« Reply #5100 on: February 01, 2021, 04:50:11 pm »

Sorry, it's important to the continuity of US government that it be called the English Virus now.

In positive good local news, my housemate is getting hazard pay-backdated through the pandemic! I didn't hear whether unions were involved, but apparently enough school custodians threatened to quit that money was found in the budget!  So that feels good, if belated.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: February 01, 2021, 05:58:31 pm »

It's just as likely the 'English Virus'[1] landed here from somewhere else, already lost in the rest of the mess, but only got sequenced here first because we like sequencing...

[1] Surely 'Britain Virus' would be better[2], to match the grammar of 'China Virus' rather than 'Chinese ...'. (And I never quite worked out if the ex-Pres called our guy 'Britain Trump' (which grates) or 'Briton Trump' (which grates less, but I think is beyond his vocab).

[2] I mean, technically 'England Virus', and often called named more specifically after Kent, over here, but I'm being magnanimous about it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: February 01, 2021, 06:22:16 pm »

Without any kind of racial or negative indications, just facts and geographical pinpointment, Wuhan Influenza is not a bad name. Certainly better than "Chinese virus". Then you have Britain Strain and so on...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: February 01, 2021, 06:24:36 pm »

People are just oversensitive these days. The spanish flu has been called the spanish flu now for 102 years, and as far as I can tell there never has been anyone in Spain who took offense.

It's kinda hard to tread lightly when the ground is covered in eggshells
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 06:26:26 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: February 01, 2021, 06:26:19 pm »

That is right. And it didn't even started on Spain.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: February 01, 2021, 06:37:25 pm »

I may be paranoid, but I think it's a Chinese influence thing. Back when we started called it the Wuhan virus the PC police went nuts about how we shouldn't call it that, but now that we have the British Virus and the South African Virus and the Brazilian Virus nobody gives a damn. But god forbid anything Chinese is even remotely negative.

I mean I was always in favour of the Corvid Flu but the difference in narrative is noticeable
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: February 01, 2021, 06:43:27 pm »

Well, you can't really blame China for getting upset over it... They weren't upset about the name itself, they were upset that worldwide there were incidents of rightwing fucktards beating up people with Asian looks, blaming them for the virus.  But those would have probably done that just the same if it had been called 'random name generator result 3', because to them it just mattered that it originated from asianland

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: February 01, 2021, 06:45:02 pm »

I mean, it was largely popularized "china virus" by a virulent sinophobe actively engaged in waging a trade war against the country, at a point where there was already perfectly effective and pervasively used terms for it (covid or coronavirus). It was pretty explicitly a racist thing being pushed by racist people. Don't quite remember if the wuhan variation was the same but, y'know, probably.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: February 01, 2021, 06:46:49 pm »

In the first days of the outbreak, our media referred to it as 'the Wuhan virus, a corona type virus'. This was without any racist or xenophobe intention, it was just a matter of, well, that's how we name diseases. See: spanish flu
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 06:48:29 pm by martinuzz »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: February 01, 2021, 06:52:36 pm »

People are just oversensitive these days. The spanish flu has been called the spanish flu now for 102 years, and as far as I can tell there never has been anyone in Spain who took offense.

Oh boy.... I´ve seldom seen it pop up *without* people getting angry.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: February 01, 2021, 06:55:36 pm »

Without any kind of racial or negative indications, just facts and geographical pinpointment, Wuhan Influenza is not a bad name. Certainly better than "Chinese virus". Then you have Britain Strain and so on...
British Strain, of the Chinese Virus. Or the Trumpian "Britain Strain of the China Virus". That's what I was getting at with most of the words I wrote.

Though we also don't have enough facts for geographic pinpointing, is how I started it.

There's doubt about Wuhan being the original epicentre, but once you get through the usual Chinese information-massaging you could see if precursor deathrates and general hospitalisations spiked elsewhere first. Even with the uptick in infectivities from the Kent-type, without going that extra mile to sample and fully analyse slightly historic samples from an almost worldwide subset of possibilities it's quite possible that the true source was somewhere else, perhaps a returning holidaymaker/bussinessperson who encountered it in a supposedly 'safe'/precautionary-enough foreign location, but we'll be hard-pressed to discover where. Call it a Kentish Virus if you wish (or a Virus Of Kent, depending on if it's from the east or west) but I'd guess it probably started elsewhere (and probably spread to everywhere else it has spread to by any number of non-Kent routings).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 06:57:42 pm by Starver »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: February 01, 2021, 07:34:28 pm »

Spanish flu didn't started on Spain either. It's just naming convention I guess? Wuhan for better or worse was were all started, at least publicly and awareness was raised.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: February 01, 2021, 10:01:33 pm »

Spanish Flu became the name for that particular pandemic because Spain at the time didn't have wartime censorship of their newspapers, unlike a lot of other European countries, which meant that the public perception was that Spain had tons more cases than anyone else when it was really just that everyone else wasn't talking about it openly.

It has/had different names, the Bolshevik Disease, the German Flu, the Brazilian Flu.

Apparently in Spain it used to be called Naples Soldier, after a musical number that was described as being as catchy as the flu.

I would not be surprised if the 1918 flu caused a rise in antisocial behaviour directed at Spanish expats and Spanish descended people in other countries hit by the pandemic, but there was already a war going on and all the cultural fallout from that, so people might have been too busy with other petty hatreds.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: February 01, 2021, 10:34:23 pm »

Personally, I think that the Spanish Fly or Spanish Flea are somewhat better than the Spanish Flu. The jury is out on cantharidin, though.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: February 02, 2021, 08:04:56 am »

I mean, it was largely popularized "china virus" by a virulent sinophobe actively engaged in waging a trade war against the country, at a point where there was already perfectly effective and pervasively used terms for it (covid or coronavirus). It was pretty explicitly a racist thing being pushed by racist people. Don't quite remember if the wuhan variation was the same but, y'know, probably.

It was never called the "China virus". It was called the Wuhan virus. The USA is not the only place in the world, and Trump do not influence everything everywhere.

Well, you can't really blame China for getting upset over it... They weren't upset about the name itself, they were upset that worldwide there were incidents of rightwing fucktards beating up people with Asian looks, blaming them for the virus.  But those would have probably done that just the same if it had been called 'random name generator result 3', because to them it just mattered that it originated from asianland

I don't think China gives a fuck about those people. It's all a matter of perception to them. They lobbied to make the Wuhan virus taboo because god forbid something reflects badly on the most imperious country on earth, not because they care about people.

And that's why you don't anyone making a big deal out of the names of the three new strains being place names.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 459